Start by marking “The Eighth Court (Courts of The Feyre, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Court (Courts of The Feyre, #4)

The Eighth Court (Courts of the Feyre #4)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  682 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
The Eighth Court has been established, but petty rivalries and old disputes threaten its stability. The mongrels that make up the court are not helping, and Blackbird enlists the help of the warders to keep the peace.

Has Blackbird bitten off more than she can chew, and can the uneasy peace between the courts continue under such tension and rivalry?
Published May 28th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Court

Vincent Foley
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am frankly surprised at the number of glowing reviews for this book. While I think Mr. Shevdon's writing has improved, this story was more than a bit jumpy. However, and I'm trying not to give any spoilers here, I found the ending to be truly bad. While it does end the series, it doesn't do so in anything I would call a pleasant or satisfactory fashion.
Gareth Otton
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Michelle Dodd
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Omg grrr I can not believe the author ended the series like that. I have loved every minute of this series it's brilliant I loved all the characters even the not so pleasant ones 😉 But Seriously grrr the ending what happened to nial did he stay dead what happened to the courts, and black bird 😲😢😭 I can't believe it ended like that 😝 I really hope another book comes out 😩 this series will definitely stay with me for a while I just wish there was more at the ending it wasn't a satisfying ending fo ...more
Timothy Ward
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
REVIEW SUMMARY: A suitable ending to a well-loved series about the secret deal between human and feyre and an average Joe who risks everything to save his home and loved ones.

MY RATING: 4 Stars

BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Powerful feyre are upset about the conclusion of Strangeness and Charm, and seek to kill everyone involved in support of a court made up of human-feyre crossbreeds. If they succeed, Earth will become a land consumed by darkness and the monsters who wield the void for evil.

Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's time for another Courts of the Feyre review!

Beware, if you've not read the earlier books there are spoilers ahead!

When we left off with Strangeness and Charm, the courts reluctantly decided to consider the eighth court as a new addition. The decision isn't unanimous and while the seventh court hasn't had an official presence in ages, everyone knows they'll be the biggest objectors. The eighth court would offer a place to all the human feyre hybrids - those like Niall and his own daughter, A
Raymond Just
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this installment of Shevdon's series, as the first two books were quite good. But, unfortunately, The Courts of the Feyre have taken a sharp turn into the rather dull and predictable. With most urban fantasy, the author injects modern everyday life with an infusion of the magical and the mystical, as Shevdon did with the early installments of this (now) four book series. The Eighth Court, however, reverses this formula, taking the mystical and magical and making it mundan ...more
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I ended this book thinking "what? no. wait, what?" not because I was confused but because I was stunned by the ending. Pleased, but stunned. I'm going to miss these characters, yes, even Dogstar, pain in the ass man though he could be. Most of all, I'm dying to know what happens now. (view spoiler) ...more
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Eighth Court is the fourth and final installment in Mike Shevdon’s Courts of the Feyre series and it does not disappoint.

Evenly paced with well timed action juxtaposed with interpersonal drama and political intrigue, Shevdon ties-up the loose ends and completes the Hero’s Journey not just for Niall but also for Blackbird and Alex who have always been on parallel paths with Niall but with their own distinct challenges and goals.

Elegantly constructed and artfully executed, I would love to see
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: faerie
Loved the story, and the characters. But it ended with a cliff hanger, and that just pisses me off! The books before this didn't end that way, so that's why its getting a 3 star. Easy 4 star if they hadn't let it end the way it did.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best in the series. Kind of messy, and meandering, but the storylines that needed to be closed were and there was a sense of completion at the end that the series needed. Glad to have read Shevdon and will definitely check out his future efforts.
N.E. White
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you’re still reading any series by the time it has reached book four, there has to be multiple reasons why. The thing that really makes this book for me are the characters. They are so well observed and it felt like I was catching up with the old friends. Niall Petersen has come along from the directionless slacker that we first met. He has found his place amongst the Warders and has adjusted to life with Blackbird. He has found some measure of stability, as well as a purpose and a family.

May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
you can read my review here

The Eighth Court is the fourth and final book in an all round excellent series. This book follows closely after Strangeness and Charm with Blackbird fighting to establish her court, the eighth court of half blood fey. The acceptance of their right to exist and to form a court has caused dissension amongst the other courts with some in favour and others against. Blackbird struggles to establish her court against her critics while
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it, Really hoping there will be more in this series.
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
::Sigh:: I was looking forward to this book so much with the release date on all my calendars. Writing a review for this without spoilers is difficult.

I devoured this book. The story is well written with good pacing and plenty of hints about what is to come entice the reader. We see characters we haven't seen in a while. Threads from all three previous books are brought together to form a conclusion. The bulk of the story is everything I could want or ask for from Mr. Shevdon. This series is on
Eric Boo
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
In the first book, Blackbird mentioned to Niall that the Warders are so dangerous, it makes Raffmir and his sister seem easy (paraphrased).

After Niall becomes a Warder, you'll see that the Warders seem like normal guards with some powers. Nothing special other than that they are Fey. It looks that the treatment of the Warders in the subsequent books do not hold up to scrutiny at all. Too much hype and then it becomes too difficult to maintain or support the hype surrounding a group of so-called
Ade Couper
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final instalment in Mike Shevdon's "Courts of the Feyre" series- and it does not disappoint...

At the end of the last book, Blackbird became leader of the eighth court, created for those fey of mixed blood. However, negotiations with the other courts are not running smoothly; meanwhile what is Raffmir up to? Who is trying to steal the nails and horseshoes? And is there a traitor among the warders?

Mike Shevdon ties up all the loose ends from previous books in this final volume, as well
Alisha Torres
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is this the last book in the series? If it is, I'm severely dissatisfied with the ending and want more. LOL.

The abovementioned is my only "complaint" about the book, if you can call wanting more a complaint.

Again Mr. Shevdon delivered a story to rival the last. The character development amazed me in this book. The descriptions of various environments were well defined and rich. The cover art was sport on, yet again. I might also add at this point I wish the cover art in the fantasy genre could
John Doe
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
First three books were enjoyable with an interesting take on English history mixed with faerie mythology.

Book four pacing felt wrong. Acts 1 and 2 were quite drawn out and meandering. Act 3 came and went brutally fast without any real tension building-up (and most events were clearly signaled earlier so no real shock or surprise).

While i don't expect Disney "and they lived ever after" the denouement was fairly unsatisfying particularly with the final jeopardy faced by the protagonist. Very muc
Tim Gauthier
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Limitless Interest

The Eighth Court marks a brilliant end to a wondrous series. I never grew tired of the plot, despite reading all 4 books in sequence; nor did I grow tired of the characters who were extremely well developed. Blackbird may be the most interesting hero I have ever met, which is a strange thing to say about a character in a story, met. Shelvdon's skill with developing characters allows us this strangeness though, to feel as though we are meeting these characters he so brilliantly
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Did not finish this book.

The first book in this series I thought was really good and I was genuinely excited when I realised it was a series rather than a stand alone.

However the other books i felt got more ridiculous the more I read. Just couldn’t make myself finish this last book as it got too predictable.
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed the first three books in the Courts of the Feyre series, but I had a tough time getting started on "The Eighth Court." After about 150 pages, I found myself relatively uninterested, even in characters I had appreciated so much in the previous novels. Consequently, the book sits on my shelf, waiting to be finished. Sadly, it will probably have to wait there until I decide to reread the entire series.
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent end to the series. Although hinted at in the earlier books, the founding of the Eighth Court was a nicely made solution to round off the series, whilst leaving space for (hopefully!) further books in future if the author chooses.

It would be nice to see further books that show the development of the Eighth Court in its own right, but we'll have to wait and see if those come our way!
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wonderful! This beautiful world becomes, if possible, even more layered and detailed in this book. The ideas are fantastic and every bit of ground work is built up into something amazing. Thus is really and truly the end of the Courts if the Feyre series, but it doesn't have to be the end of the story. In fact, it is 'ended' in such a way to almost directly imply this idea. I hope that Shevdon does follow through with a new series of books set in this world, because it would be well worth it.
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I greatly enjoyed the other three books in the Courts of the Feyre series, this installment seemed rushed to tie-up certain loose ends while simultaneously leaving a plethora of other unresolved points. Overall, the ending is unsatisfying, although I could MAYbe understand it if there was another book coming along at some point.
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed the first three books in this series, the fourth (and apparently final) instalment felt messy, under-developed and the ending was just not at all satisfying. The characters were still great, especially Blackbird who remains a favourite, but the connective tissue just wasn't quite there. I'd really like to see a fifth volume though!
Hugh Shannon
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A little disappointing, seemed too much time spent on repetition from earlier books, the main characters have too much time spent on them with no development, minor characters aren't fleshed out enough.
The whole series seemed to miss the opportunities to explore the potential of the world created, it was limited to too few locations.
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first 3 books in the series, but thus one just seemed like a repeat of the other three. Which, quite frankly, made it boring and uninteresting. The series was realty nicely wrapped up as a trilogy and should have stayed that way.
Udi Moshe
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book as a part of an excellent series. This modern fantasy novel describes the continuos struggle for home and stature of the half breed fairies. The descriptive capabilities and ingenious plot twists of the author makes for a captivating reading experience. Highly recommended.
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't say much but to agree with other reviewers: I still love the idea of this series, but this was the most predictable and bland of the four. The ending was disappointing and didn't live up to its promise.
  • Reflections (Indexing, #2)
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Heartwood (The Elemental Wars Book 1)
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • Returner's Wealth (Wyrmeweald, #1)
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Dead Set
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Winter King (Hawkenlye Mysteries #15)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • Dying Is My Business (Trent, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Dragons of Deltora: Special Edition, Books 1 & 2
  • The Kensei (Lawson the Fixer, #5)
Mike Shevdon lives in Bedfordshire, England, with his wife and son, where he pursues the various masteries of archery, technology, and cookery. His love of Fantasy & SF started in the 70s with C S Lewis, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov and continued through Alan Garner, Ursula Le Guin and Barbara Hambly. More recent influences include Mike Carey, Phil Rickman, Neil Gaiman, and Robert Crais, a ...more
More about Mike Shevdon...

Courts of the Feyre (4 books)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Strangeness and Charm (Courts of the Feyre, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00