Start by marking “Chasing Mona Lisa” as Want to Read:
Chasing Mona Lisa

Chasing Mona Lisa

(Swiss Agents)

It is August 1944 and Paris is on the cusp of liberation. As the soldiers of the Third Reich flee the Allied advance, they ravage the country, stealing countless pieces of art. Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable one of all, the Mona Lisa, as a post-war bargaining chip to get him to South America. Can Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Mona Lisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Mona Lisa

Start your review of Chasing Mona Lisa
Hannah
I liked this even less than the first book. Again there's quite a lot of violence, described in vivid terms--blood dripping, heads exploding, etc. But we really didn't even get the characters around described, except for perhaps a word or two, generally in terms of hair color. There were still six POVs, which was better than book one but still too many. A lot of the narration was in the abstract, so it was hard to sort between actual clues and assumptions. I spent a great deal of my jou
Fakhrina
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Spent most of time trying to figure out what is actually going on then realizing there's actually nothing going on at all. The main characters, Gabi and Eric, left to their own devices to discover what they're supposed to do, and ended up loitering and sightseeing all over Paris. From the title of the book, I was under the assumption that the story is fill with intense and rapid plot from the get go. I was wrong. The entire storyline felt too monotonous and underwhelming and the action scenes fo ...more
Loraine
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in art and World War II, this is a top notch novel. It involves art theft, underground resistance movement in France, the Communist versus DeGaulle rivalry in France, and the OSS. Throw in a couple of love connections and you have a great story. I'd love to see this one made in to a movie!
Jerry
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting historical fiction...but I've read better.
Brenda
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read several books written by Tricia Goyer and would consider her a favorite author, but with this title I just couldn't get into the story. I am not sure if the problem was because this book was a sequel to "The Swiss Courier" which I didn't read. Generally I love historical fiction, especially when there is bits of truth woven in but there were a few things that didn't work for me in this book.
It took several pages for me to even get interested in the story, but once I did the French ph
Pauline
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I may have read this book before. It had plenty of plot twists. The dialogue was nice.
Kaylea
A hidden masterpiece. Protected during the war, becomes the target of a massive chase through Europe. Who will win? The good guys - spies for the OSS or the Nazis'.

In their second book - Chasing Mona Lisa - Mike Yorkey and Tricia Goyer dive back into the political intrigue surrounding OSS spies at the end of World War II, as they show how Gabi and Eric (who appeared in their first book - The Swiss Courier) take part in their mission to protect the Mona Lisa - the French prized jewel - from Germa
Ruth
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. Eric Hofstadler and Gabi Mueller, two Swiss nationals working for the American OSS (Office of Strategic Services) based in neutral Switzerland, are sent into occupied France to bring supplies, money, and instructions to the cash-strapped and freedom-hungry resistance. Paris, the famed City of Lights, is a powder keg waiting to explode. After four years of Nazi rule, the scent of freedom is in the air as the Allies begin their advance across Europe following the D-Day invasion toward t ...more
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
It’s August, 1944. France is on the verge of liberation. Allied forces are advancing, while the Third Reich flees. Though Germany is retreating, Reichsmarchall Hermann Goring wants to steal the most precious painting of France–the Mono Lisa–a symbol of their freedom. The race is on between the Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler against Colonel Heller’s henchman.

It was while Gabi and Eric were still fighting off stragglers from the Third Reich in France, alongside Bernard Rousseau
Christy Lockstein
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Chasing Mona Lisa by Mike Yorkey & Tricia Goyer is the sequel to The Swiss Courier about Gabi Mueller, a Swiss-American woman working behind the scenes in WWII to help the Allies save the day. This novel picks up shortly after the events of the previous book with Gabi and her boyfriend Eric traveling to Paris to bring first aid supplies and aid to the Resistance fighters in the city. Paris is on the crux of exploding as the Germans refuse to let go of the city that is slipping out of their finge ...more
Lynn  Davidson
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
If you don’t know much about the Second World War, or even if you do, Chasing Mona Lisa will present to you a different slant on how things were. Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey take the reader into the drama and danger of the time when Nazi Germany was overpowering Europe and laying claim to all the wealth they wanted.

Hitler’s Germany had overrun France, and some over-zealous prominent military officials were determined to add to their private collections as much valued artwork as they could.

We me
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Title: CHASING MONA LISA
Authors: Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey
Publisher: Revell
January 2012
ISBN: 978-0800720469
Genre: Inspirational/historical fiction

In August of 1944 Paris is on the cusp of liberation. The soldiers of the Third Reich are fleeing the Allied advance, but enroute they steal countless pieces of irreplaceable art. Reichsmarschall Hermann Goring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable piece of all, the Mona Lisa.

Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler are on a miss
Donna
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
War, intrigue, and a little romance come together in "Chasing Mona Lisa." The year is 1944, and the people of Paris are tired of being trampled on, but more than that, they are tired of seeing their precious art work stolen by the Germans. The Underground tries to stop things, but...

Gabi and Eric are trying to bring supplies to Paris, but quickly become embroiled in the conflict and work with the resistance. What happens when Gabi finds papers that incriminate someone from their ranks in the di
Abbie Riddle
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This fast paced novel is set at the close of World War II in German occupied France just as France gains it's freedom. Four people are racing to save the beloved French artwork - the Mona Lisa while German Reichmarschall Hermann Goring sets out to claim it for himself.

From the first page the action and intrigue is non-stop. I was surprised at the depth of the characters since there were so many in the novel. Just as the reader thinks they have it all figured out - and have chosen the character t
Melissa
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, mystery
This is by far one of the best books that I have read in awhile. Although, I didn't want to put it down...I had to for sleep. But I couldn't wait until naptime (for the kids) to start reading again.

This is one of those books that you don't want to end. Not only because of the characters, but to finish the story. But also because I'm finding more and more interest in the WWII era, and love when authors show great care in their development of the story using historical facts.

I am finding more and
Cindy
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Wow, this one was hard, it is hard to write a review on a book by a favorite author that didn't blow your socks off. And this one didn't do that for me. The story line was sweet between Eric and Gabi, but there were lots of side stories that distracted. And I had a difficult time with not knowing what some of the French phrases meant. A translation page at the end of the book would have helped greatly.

While it was obvious they did their research, I just had trouble buying the story. My favorite
The Overweight Bookshelf
First reviewed here :

In Chasing Mona Lisa readers are treated to an action packed historical adventure. Told from the perspective of a multiple characters from varying political and ethnic backgrounds, the fictional accounts of historical events are rich and varied. Unfortunately, I felt that the event driven elements of the story were at the expense of character development and emotional connection. The plot line surrounding the Mona Lisa was secondary to the Resistance efforts as it wasn't unt
Renee
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chasing Mona Lisa is an action-packed historical thrill-ride with a romantic thread. I enjoyed how this story transported me to World War II, which is one of my favorite time periods. From the opening scene, this novel sucked me in and kept me turning pages during my study halls at schools (who knows what my students were doing!) and late into the night. I couldn’t wait to discover what would happen in the lives of Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler and the other couple that featu ...more
Blossom
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book. The history in this is very good. Although this is fiction, there is so much accuracy it is great. I watched The Train a few years ago and that was the first I'd heard (that I recall) of Germans acquiring works of art for their own gain. The movie isn't anything like the book but I recalled it while reading this. During my reading of this book, I did some research and was surprised by what I found: this book is a good historical fiction work! As I already mentioned, it has quite accu ...more
NancyInWI
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd probably give this book 2 and a half stars. It wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not a historical fiction reader, but thought I'd give this one a try. A book should not take to page 200 to capture my attention to make me want to read more. I found I had to force myself to read it. The characters weren't engaging, the writing wasn't anything special and nothing really happened until late in the book. I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing it if it weren't for a book group on Goodreads that picke ...more
Andi
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn into this book from page one. It was a travel back in time, and a vacation of sorts through France. This book takes place when France is being liberated from Germany. The very valuable picture The Mona Lisa has gone missing and it is a race against time to get her back.
Tricia writes so vividly you feel as if you are right there experiencing everything the characters are. I highly recommend this one!
Barbara Brink
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick read - I read it while running on the treadmill a few days one week:) Very enjoyable historical suspense with intriguing passages about the French resistance and political aspects during WWII. A small thread of romance throughout, but I think it may have been continued from an earlier book that I have not read. Yet, I didn't feel as though I were missing any information. It was a standalone story.
Brittany
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gabi Mueller and the Resistance have a very important job,they must protect the priceless "Mona Lisa" from those who wish to steal her. But the enemy will stop at nothing to foil their plans. Gabi and the Resistance are in a race against time, but they refuse to give up!
This story will keep you on the end of your seat, the suspense is nerve-racking. The end is surprising. And Tricia Goyer has just the perfect way of putting it all together, it is fascinating.
Karen
I just could not get to any point with this book and gave up when I was almost at 80% read. The books was good, but at the same time it annoyed me for some reason. I seemed like there were more books than just one here and some of it was an off splinter on another. I want to finish it, but cannot seem too. Very strange book experience.....
Rachel Brand
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
GENRE: HISTORICAL/SUSPENSE
PUBLISHER: REVELL
PUBLICATION DATE: JANUARY 01, 2012
RATING: 3.5 OUT OF 5 – GOOD

PROS: Very detailed descriptions of locations and events; authors seem to have done a lot of research

CONS: Focus of the novel isn’t what is suggested in the title and synopsis; lacked any spiritual matter; too many main characters for the reader to connect with any of them

Swiss Agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler find themselves in Paris in the midst of its liberation from Nazi occupatio
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Tricia Goyer!
I really wanted and thought I would love this book, but I didn't.
I loved aspects of it. I liked the graphic way the war was told. It felt like it was told from someone who lived it. It felt real at times. It was hard to read in those moments, but it was appreciated.
I was indifferent to the characters. I wanted to like them, but I felt it a weird time to get caught in a romance. Among all that really graphic violence.
Then we get to the Mona Lisa. I felt like I may have learned
Jeni Enjaian
While this book was good, it could have been great. I loved the theme and the connection to famous art work. The return of two familiar characters from "The Swiss Courier" was also nice, although if they had not been part of the story I'm sure that the events could have progressed just fine.
Also, several of the events appeared to be completely unconnected to the main plot which, according to the title, was ostensibly to chase/recover the Mona Lisa.
I could nitpick other details that distracted me
Belva Shelor
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Good book. Very different from what I expected. What I liked about this story was there wasnt a lot of fluff, not a lot diverging characters, plots etc. It was just a concise, twist and turning story.
Michelle Renee
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Despite some of the other reviews here, I really enjoyed this book. At one point there were a few too many characters with "foreign" names for me to keep straight in my head, but I pushed through anyway! This was more than worth the $2.50 I spent on it at Ollies!
Rita
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Interesting Novel!

I learned a lot about the history of the Mona Lisa. The book was quite informative. I liked how the author described the story with amazing characters. There was a lot of drama too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Christian Fiction...: May Group Read - Chasing Mona Lisa 48 56 May 25, 2013 07:39AM

• On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Fragile Hour
  • The Crowlands
  • Sweetbriar Cottage (Blue Ridge, #0)
  • Of Literature and Lattes
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • Stress Test
  • Murder on a Blind Date (Dekker Cozy Mystery #9)
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Wrapped in Rain
  • Trapped (Everyday Heroes #3)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Chasing Fireflies: A Novel of Discovery
  • On the Bright Side: Stories about Friendship, Love, and Being True to Yourself
  • Lost in NashVegas
  • Diva NashVegas
Tricia Goyer is a busy mom of ten, grandmother of two, and wife to John. Somewhere around the hustle and bustle of family life, she manages to find the time to write fictional tales delighting and entertaining readers and non-fiction titles offering encouragement and hope. A bestselling author, Tricia has published thirty-three books to date and has written more than 500 articles. She is a two tim ...more

Swiss Agents (2 books)