Start by marking “The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping” as Want to Read:
The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping

The Messies Manual: The Procrastinator's Guide to Good Housekeeping

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Messie's Manual has helpled over a quarter million readers overcome disorderly lives. Reading it is not guaranteed to make you a professional housekeeper overnight, but it's a real beginning for overcoming procrastination and conquering the battle against messiness once and for all.
Paperback
Published November 1st 2000 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published October 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Messies Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messies Manual

Marissa  Pineda
Okay, so I admit it. I'm a "Messie"--my house is often in disarray and it's not my number one priority to keep on top of the place. But, I picked up this book when I was feeling like things had gotten out of control. It read like a 12 step program "Hi, I'm Marissa, and I can't find my floor."

The book had some practical ideas for unloading your junk and setting your house in order. It explores why some people are prone to messiness and some are not. Most of all, it was compassionate and humorous
Carrie
For practical advice on how to clean and organize your home I much prefer "Houseworks" by Cynthia Townley Ewer.

However, I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved her analysis of the group of people she calls "messies" and how intrinsically different they are from "cleanies." For example, a "cleanie" will see that something is out of place or dirty and immediately clean it up, while a "messie" will not even notice. (It made me think of my first solo apartment, when I had a sink full of dirty d
James W.  Harris
I read a lot of books on organizing, and this surprised me by how useful it was. While there are plenty of cleaning and organizing techniques given in this book, Felton focuses on identifying the mental attitudes and personality traits that lead people to become either organized or messy. She then shows how organized people approach cleaning and organizing problems, and contrasts that with the ineffective approaches that "messies" -- the chronically messy who want to be organized and clean but d ...more
Desert Rose
An amazing book that opened my eyes to a lot of things I didn't seem to see while having it staring at my face. The author practically described my personality in great detail, I was convinced that she was spying on me and somehow wrote the book according to my life.. but how could she know what I was thinking too :)

The author divided people into two categories: Messies and Cleanies. She was a Messie but solved her problem 25 years ago and wrote this book to help fellow Messies to better their l
Ruth Byrnes
This is an amazing book on decluttering your home and then organizing it. Her system works. She also has a website called the organizer lady. I first read this book 15 years ago and it has helped me immensely. She also has a terrific sense of humor and calls herself a reformed "messie". If you sign up on her website you will receive a tip everyday.
Tip: Read her updated version called "The New Messies Manuel"
Ayana Mishelle
I have used this book almost like a Bible in getting my home organized so that I can have a more managable life outside the classroom. I need to come home to beauty and neatness and with my schedule I was having a hard time keeping all the balls up in the air. This book really helped when I had small children and with keeping things in order with my foster children. I think this book will be good for teachers because when we go home to a nice neat home to do more work it just helps to be able t ...more
Frangipani
I bought this book looking for answers on managing paper clutter. I need to organize it. I'm a FLYbaby (big Marla Cilley fan) but I just could not make the paper thing work her way. Felton understands how people get emotional about paper clutter and she has several unique methods of dealing with it which I found intriguing and practical. I would definitely recommend Chapter 16 (Keeping up with the info flow) of this book to people struggling with the flow of paper and information in their lives. ...more
Sandra
I am a packrat and I am married to a hoarder, so cleaning seems like a neverending task. Packrats aren't always messies, because we know where it is and save things forever. I love to read books on how to better organize my clutter (and saved things) so that I can get new things to add into my already full house.

This book was easy to read, and full of checklists, poems, quotes, and even some pictures. I really enjoyed reading Sandra's book and found a few new tips to try.

Crissy
As a Messie of the 4-5 caliber I found this to be a very fun read. I could relate to the uber-Messies, and rejoice that I never went that far into clutters grasp. Some fun hints for restoring order and getting a grip on housekeeping, and some very clever illustrations of the various types of messies out there. Wish me luck on my quest to becoming an 8 or 9 (no one really wants to be a 10 anyway!) :)
Barbara
I believe this was the third such "Messie" book that I read, all in the same year. It and "The Messie Motivator" have a lot of repetition between the two. I was hoping for something more, as I was flailing at the time.

If you only buy ONE of the Messie books, this is probably the most bare-bones how-to of the lot.
Nannette Serra
I also have Sandra's Messies Daily Calendar. In need of motivation? Like today, November 5 advises me to take time for myself. This involves washing all my silk blouses in a pillowcase and ironing them. Watch an episode of HOARDERS on TV, read some of this book and get motivated.
Gaijinmama
An excellent, inspirational resource for home organizing, decluttering, and setting goals.
As a life-long Messie I need all the help I can get. It is an ongoing process and Felton is helpful, wise, and breaks it down to basics for those of us who are not Born Organized.
Deyara
A bit dated now, but still really useful. Focuses a lot on the psychological aspects of "meesie"-ness but has plenty of helpful tips and tricks and has given me lots of things to try.
Tricia
Aug 08, 2010 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I listened to the audio version while on vacation with my in-laws.

I really think I could use this system to maintain my house. I will put some of these tips to good use.
Andreia
Some great tips and encouragement for messies every where and for those who just want to keep up with housekeeping
Elissa
This has a lot of practical advice, tips and tricks, etc. for people with cluttered homes and lives.
Mirandy Richardson
Love this book. Made me feel I am not the only woman in which house cleaning doesn't come naturally.
Cristina
Some good ideas, but nothing concrete that will allow me to get my housekeeping on a good schedule.
Frangipani
some useful information and insights into what it means and how it is to be a Messy person.
Danielle
Feb 12, 2009 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wannabe superwomen!
I learned that Messies are a special breed and how to be me in a clean, orderly house.
Cassie Chess
Awesome book! Just wish I had the ambition to actually do it!
Twila
Sep 14, 2010 Twila added it
Lots of repeated ideas but some could be very useful in my messy life
Janis
Having enjoyed another book by Felton, it's time to read this one!
Jenny
I learned a few things from this book. Glad I read it.
Robin Ferguson
I think I'll always be a messy......
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Kacey Lawrenz
Kacey Lawrenz marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Crystal Landes
Crystal Landes is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Sidetracked Home Executives(TM): From Pigpen to Paradise
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Sink Reflections
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Organize Yourself!
  • Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management
  • The Paris Apartment
  • One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day
  • Bobbi Brown Living Beauty
Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You Organizing for Life: Declutter Your Mind to Declutter Your World 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life

“The bitterness of living in a mess remains long after the sweetness of resting is forgotten.” 2 likes