Start by marking “The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion” as Want to Read:
The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion

The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion (The Hunger Games Companions)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  128,327 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews
The New York Times bestseller by Suzanne Collins is now a major motion picture -- and this is your guide to all of the movie's excitement, both in front of the camera and behind it.

Go behind the scenes of the making of The Hunger Games with exclusive images and interviews. From the screenwriting process to the casting decisions to the elaborate sets and costumes to the act
Published February 7th 2012 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Hunger Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunger Games

Lucille
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I read this at Walmart (talk about being thrifty) when my mom was shopping for groceries. Oh you don't know how long it takes for her to just get meat, think about the milk, eggs, etc. Seriously, I could just die of boredom if this book wasn't there.

So anyway, I read this and it really helped me a lot to remember the characters names and who's playing who (I still don't remember most of them, only Katniss, Peeta, Gale, and Prim). The pictures just made me want to watch the movie more!
Penelope
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
"...I think a book adaptation doesn't have to be just like the book, it has to feel like the book. That's what you want. You want to get the feeling from the movie that you got from the book, and you want the characters to evoke the characters that you fell in love with."
-Nina Jacobson (producer), pg. 20

I can't even begin to describe how many worries and fears about the making of the movie, this book put to rest. Just reading about the careful decisions that were made through every step of the p
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hunger-games
After reading this book, I just saw how much every crew member of The Hunger Games worked hard for the movie. You could see their perseverance to do it, to make it a great movie to make the fans happy- which didn't fail. I am so glad that the Hunger Games was a blockbuster for the makers of it really deserved it. Everyone prepared for it, the cast and crew and especially the director. They encountered lots and lots of obstacles like shooting while raining and many others. They also try their ...more
Gabriella
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was really interesting! I am really disappointed that for the movies, they are getting rid of the character Madge. They said it was because they could deal without her and that she really wasn't that important. All around, I believe that in the long run, Madge is the most important character. She gives Katniss the Mockingjay pin. That's the start of the whole rebellion! And, her mom was Maisyilee, Katniss' mom's best friend, who also fought in the Hunger Games with Haymitch. So, I thin ...more
Ceres
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
En lisant ce guide avant de voir le film, on en comprend mieux l'univers et on ne pourra que l'apprécier davantage!!! Il n'y a pas à dire, je suis fan et je suis très impatiente. Ce film a droit à tout le succès qu'il mérite et je pense que tous les fans seront ravis de cette adaptation!

Ma review complète: http://ceresu.canalblog.com/archives/...
Jenn
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenn by: Holly Noelle
I am a sucker for these movies guides because I love all the glimpses behind the scenes. I love seeing how things work and how movies get made. When it comes to rating them, that's a little harder because it's not a story. So I figured 3 stars would be sum it up perfectly.
Olivia
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really awesome being able to see how the movie was made! I sooo wish I could be one of the tributes in the movie. ;D
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
For fans of The Hunger Games, particularly those with an interest in film-making, this book is immensely satisfying. I've read many articles on the upcoming movie, and I was happy to see that most of the photos, if not all, have not been previously published. Quotes were included from all of the actors, as well the producers, director, and various crew.

The book includes six parts:

Part 1: "The History of The Hunger Games" details the film industry's immediate interest following the publication of
Cassandra Noelle
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Since I really enjoyed the Hunger Games books, I've naturally been excited for the upcoming movie. My mama surprised me by giving me this movie companion and, while it was an easy read, all of the photographs and illustrations were incredible. This is going to be a visually stunning movie; from the food, to the set of the area, to the fashions and makeup of the Capitol.

Even though I'm not yet sure that I'll be seeing the film in March when it comes out, the book was well-worth the read to not o
Evey
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Très complet, exactement ce que j'attendais de ce guide. On en apprend beaucoup sur les coulisses, les choix qui ont été fait,... Aucun vrai spoiler pour les personnes n'ayant pas encore pas lu les romans. Quelques nouveaux Stills.
Paula Bee
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: companion-guia
I really loved all of the information and the pictures in this companion! It's exactly the information I wanted to know about the director, what parts Suzanne Collins is in, casting, etc.... made me even more excited for this movie! I can't wait to see it!
Sofi
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved getting a "behind-the-scenes" look at The Hunger Games movie!
Holly Noelle
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hunger Games movie and book fans
More like a 3.5.

I enjoyed reading this. Unlike the other tribute guide (Ugh) I was pleased by how this was written. This was interesting, and gave me insight to the behind the scenes aspects of the film.

The interviews with Gary Ross and Nina Jacobson were precisely why I wanted to read it. I wanted to know why they chose to deviate from the books and why they went in certain directions. It threw me when Lenny Kravitz and Josh Hutcherson were cast, but I feel like this gives the audience a better
Gabriella
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am one of those crazy people/obsessive fans that has a meltdown everytime it is announced that one of my favourite books is going to be made into a movie. Indeed after I found out that The Hunger Games movie is not just a rumour but is actually happening... well lets just say you wouldn't have wanted to be sharing brain space with me at that exact moment.

So for months and months all these scenarios have been running through my head on why I am not going to like this movie.
* The actors won't ma
Mary Ann
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading about all that went into making the movies. I didn't read it before the movie because I really didn't want a lot of spoilers. I liked the parts in which Suzanne Collins is quoted the best. Since it is the author's story I like to hear what the author has to say the most. i.e.

"If Josh had been bright purple and had had six foot wings and have that audition, I'd have been like 'Cast him! We an work around the wings!' He was that good."

and her thoughts about what she wants people -
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

If you've seen the movie and love the book then this is a nice companion to the Hunger Games movie.

The Illustrated Movie Companion has lots of pictures and is divided into sections. They focus on the book, the casting, the places, the costumes and more.

As someone who loved the books and enjoyed the movie it was nice to see how everything transpired.

I especially loved hearing about Suzanne Collins (the author of the series) and things that happened with the Hunger Games book (and her i
Abi Holligan
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I thought this Movie Companion would be like the Twilight Saga one's and in some ways it was, it had pictures from the film and the book talked through the film and how it was made, but it didn't really give a lot of insight, I knew pretty much everything that was in there already, for example the Twilight Eclipse companion told about how they created the whole snow scene and filmed it indoors, that was a shock because it looks so real, there was nothing like that in this.
The pictures were good
Lillith
It was heart racing, exciting and the most adventurous books i have ever read in my life. The narrating was so good i was at the edge of my seat all the time! It was very realistic too. About the wars. About the conclusion of our generations. I truly believe that as time goes on it's a possibility that nations will fight for land. In overall it's definately worth reading.
Abdulrazaq Alasfour
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truely the best selling novel..
Kyrno
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It all a game white district but Peter love
Sharon Powers
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book Review by Sharon Powers.

QUICK BOOK REVIEW OF THE OFFICIAL ILLUSTRATED MOVIE COMPANION
(THE HUNGER GAMES).

The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated
Movie Companion, by Kate Egan is 160 pages;
it sells for $9.99 to about $18.99, of course,
depending on where you buy your book.
[15]
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Madeline Janus
3/17/16
Period

The book I read was “The Hunger Games”. It is the official illustrated movie companion. This book told you about how they made the movie. How they filmed, produced, and got creative ideas. This book told you about the characters and recent jobs they did before the started casting “The Hunger Games”. Also it told you how the characters acted with each other on and off set. The book also shows pictures. The pictures are off things on and off set. It showed you how t
Zara
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hunger Games Fans and people interested in book to movie adaptations.
Shelves: 4-stars
"This is a girl who starts a revolution. This is a girl who changes the world." (pg 158)

I feel like reading The Hunger Games and watching The Hunger Games movies all over again in order to re-live my experiences and emotions while reading and watching The Hunger Games. The nostalgia is real!

This movie companion reads like a magazine. It's full of stunning graphics, pull-out quotes and vibrant colours which makes it easy to browse through and enjoy.

The Hunger Games:Official Illustrated Movie
Josie Talbert
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book had a lot of interesting things in it. I was so excited for the movie to come out I just had to read this book to satisfy my hunger to see the movie! The pictures are great and I loved looking at the capitol children. I would definitely recommend this book to any Hunger Games fans!
Hayley
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Loved the detail and dedication Kate Egan put into this book: creating a detailed picture of the cast, sets, and costume/cosmetic decisions used in the film. I loved the section on 'Capitol fashion' which was hideous, but in a way which I feel looks true to the books' description. There were a few new stills as well :)
Cass -  Words on Paper
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012, own
Didn't take me too long to read, cover to cover. I suppose I did expect a little more behind the scenes stuff, more of the making of the film. I got some of that, but it's not nearly as detailed as I thought it would have been. Whether it's worth your money? I don't know. How big a fan are you?

(I bought my copy at Big W for $15.)
Michelle
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Read it and then my niece read it. It gives a good overview of how this movie was made. It has spoilers, so it helps to have read the books and trilogy. It's heavy on images, which also greatly builds my anticipation for the film.
Amy
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading this I'm even more excited for the movie. I got chills a few times as I read about the entire process of adapting Suzanne Collins brilliant book into a movie. I loved the insight into the script writing, the casting, and the creation of the Hunger Games world. Is it March 23rd yet?!?!
Jodie
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to see this brilliant series turned into a movie!! This movie guide was so beautifully done. It is full of extraordinary behind the scenes photos and descriptions. I loved reading through this guide, now bring on the movie!
Gretchen
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was really interesting and had some great pictures and facts. I was really impressed with how some of the aspects in the film were created. I still can't believe I read this book in like an hour...
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • Hunger Games Companion
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion (The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, #4)
  • Jennifer Lawrence: Star of the Hunger Games
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • The Hunger Games: List of characters in the Hunger Games trilogy, The Hunger Games universe, Katniss Everdeen, etc
  • Twilight Director's Notebook : The Story of How We Made the Movie Based on the Novel by Stephenie Meyer
  • Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality
  • The Hunger Pains: A Parody
  • The Hunger But Mainly Death Games: A Parody
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Love You to Death: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • Twilight and History
  • Marked / Betrayed / Chosen / Untamed / Hunted (House of Night #1-5)
  • Vampire Academy Box Set (Vampire Academy, #1-4)
  • Articles on the Hunger Games, Including: Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire (2009 Novel), the Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay, Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, List of Characters in the Hunger Games Trilogy, the Hunger Games Universe

The Hunger Games Companions (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • The World of the Hunger Games
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • Hunger Games Companion
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Booster Pack: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Movie Edition, Extra Movie Content
  • The Panem Companion

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
“In The Hunger Games, there's something for everyone.
A gripping adventure.
A political commentary.
A love story.
A cautionary tale.
Some call it science fiction, some call it potential reality.
Some say it's for teenagers, some say it's for adults.
The book--and now the film--captures themes and concerns that seem timely.
But its real strength, in the end, is that it's timeless. It speaks to us today, and it will speak--even more powerfully--tomorrow.”
10 likes
“I felt that Lionsgate really understood the material and that they would let us make a faithful adaptation; that they wouldn't soften it, they wouldn't age up the characters, to make them older so that it would be more palatable. I felt that the power of the book was in the youth of these protagonists and that you couldn't cheat on that in terms of their age in the story. Lionsgate was on board for, of course, the PG-13 version of the movie, not something full of blood and guts, but something more thematically driven. -Nina Jacobson, pg. 14” 3 likes