Start by marking “Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
Under the Skin (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)

Under the Skin (Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #6)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In this haunting tale from the heart of Appalachia, Vicki Lane draws together past and present, good and evil, folklore and secrets, mesmerizing readers with the mysterious bond of true sisterhood—richer than blood, stronger than the passage of time.

Published October 18th 2011 by Random House Digital, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Under the Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Skin

Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting for Under The Skin since I finished the last page of In A Dark Season. And it was worth the wait! I have read the entire Elizabeth Goodweather series and delight in Vicki Lane’s wordsmithing. Perhaps another reason I’m such a devoted fan of hers is the fact that she writes about our beautiful Appalachian Mountains with all the exquisite descriptions and extraordinary dialects western North Carolina can boast. Her characters come to life on the page and instantly endear, espec ...more
Carol
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vicki Lane always keeps me interested. I read The Day of Small Things and Under the Skin back to back--I hope there will be more of these delightful stories. Meanwhile I enjoy her website and recipes.
Amanda
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have heard about Gloria, Elizabeth's annoyingly shallow younger sister. She lives in Florida, with her latest husband, where shopping, lunching, and following loopy New Age gurus seems to be her big interests.

It is interesting to see how Elizabeth reacts to a lengthy visit from this sister who could not be more different from herself. Even at age 50-something, it can be hard to let go of the habits that were locked in during childhood.

Not the best actual mystery of the series...but an enjoyab
Carolyn Hill
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I haven't read all of the Elizabeth Goodweather mysteries, just the one before this one, In a Dark Season, but I intend to get to all of them. I really would consider this number 5 in the series, as The Day of Small Things just takes one of the characters and gives her back story, and doesn't really continue the Goodweather saga. This one is not as dark and foreboding as its predecessor, and there is no murder mystery to solve. It is more about the relationship of Elizabeth with her sister Glori ...more
Suzanne Moore
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this to find out what clues Elizabeth would uncover about her fiance. The previous book In a Dark Season ended with a mysterious telephone message from Elizabeth's aunt. I was glad to find out the information about Phillip was not incriminating. Elizabeth did have to unravel the details though, which made me wonder for most of the book if the wedding would still take place.

The heart of the story was about Elizabeth and her sister Glory. They are complete opposites! Glory comes for an ext
Sandra
ABOUT THIS BOOK (from Ms. Lane's website)

Elizabeth Goodweather and her city-girl sister, Gloria, couldn’t be more different. Elizabeth lives on a farm in the Great Smoky Mountains. Gloria lives in Florida off an ex-husband’s fortune. Gloria is a bea
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-edition
This was a great conclusion to In A Dark Season and well worth the wait. Elizabeth gets a visit from her troublesome younger sister, Gloria who's convinced that her current paramour is trying to kill her. But this also contains the companion story of Nellie Bly's undercover operation to expose "mediums" preying on guests staying at a mountain resort in the 19th century. All of this turmoil mirrors the turmoil Elizabeth feels regarding her upcoming marriage as she tries to navigate the complex fe ...more
Sheila Beaumont
I found this tale of suspense, mystery, and Appalachian folklore well worth the long wait since the last Elizabeth Goodweather novel, which had a bit of a cliffhanger at the end. Above all, Under the Skin is the story of the complex relationship between two sisters who are very different from each other. I liked the way the novel shifted between past and present and alternated chapters from the points of view of various characters. This is primarily a character-driven mystery, and the characters ...more
Marsha Hubbell
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vicki Lane is a master storyteller. I have read all the Elizabeth Goodweather books and am continuously amazed how adept Ms. Lane is at weaving two stories together, fusing past and present, combining history and mystery. This was a long-awaited answer to a cliffhanger, and she did not disappoint. I’ve never experienced the beauty of the Great Smokey Mountains, the simplicity of the life she writes of, or the people, friends and family of the Appalachia. But when I finish one of her books, I fee ...more
Debra
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Vicki Lane's books are on my "buy as soon as they are published" list because of the mountain atmosphere and the strong characters. Under the Skin doesn't disappoint.

Interweaving two stories, modern and not, with little initial apparent connection works when both tease your imagination.

The ending seemed forced, and detracted from an otherwise five star book. Ms. Lane's position on my purchase list, however, is still quite secure.
Lisa
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This series continues to improve. This one interwove past and present in a way that I particularly enjoy. So glad I didn't give up on it. The best part of the book is the interconnection of characters with one another and the land, with the past and the present. A pleasure to read!
Lisa
Pleasant mystery (sort of mystery) which centers around sisterly rivalries both past and present. The characters are well developed and the setting (which happens to be where I live, or there abouts) is well drawn. Lane has fine descriptive powers.
Kimberly Lynne
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful escape back to the mountains with old friends. Philip under suspicion? Secrets about Sam? And Miss Birdie there to bring everyone back to their senses. True to the Goodweather mold, I'd pick up this 6th-of-the series every chance I got.
Glenda
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
A "fluff" book that did not really excite me. I read it only because I was waiting for books to become available at the library.
I hope that the next book is a better read!
Anna
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This latest Elizabeth Goodweather ties up some loose ends and has an air of finality. I hope Lane is not finished with her. I like the characters and the setting.
Mkotch
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm tired of books with parallel stories. This mystery didn't need the hokey parallel with Nellie Bly.
Pammy
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't realize it was a series, and # six at that. Wouldn't recommend coming in so late as this.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Worth a read for anyone, expecially if you have a sister. Good characters interesting plot
Linda Tivendale
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like the old tale better than the new. Ending was way too far fetched even for a lightweight novel.
David
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
(Review submitted to Suspense Magazine)
Morgan James
Feb 17, 2012
Helen
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #7)
  • The Songcatcher (Ballad, #6)
  • For One Who Knows How to Own Land
  • Beast of the Field
  • Pig Candy: Taking My Father South, Taking My Father Home--A Memoir
  • Given Ground
  • Shadow of Reality (Elizabeth and Richard Mysteries, #1)
  • Sacred Intentions (Arrington #3)
  • Misfortune Cookies (When the Fat Ladies Sing #1)
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • Fall from Pride (Home Valley, #1)
  • The Grave of God's Daughter: A Novel
  • The Definition of Wind: A Novel
  • Line by Line
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • The Same River Twice: A Memoir
Vicki Lane is the author of THE DAY OF SMALL THINGS and of the Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mysteries from Bantam Dell:IN A DARK SEASON, OLD WOUNDS, ART'S BLOOD,SIGNS IN THE BLOOD. Vicki and her family have lived in western North Carolina on a mountain farm since 1975.

For lots more info, go to http://vickilanemysteries.com or check Vicki's blog http://vickilanemysteries.blogspot.com
More about Vicki Lane...

Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery (6 books)
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4)
  • The Day of Small Things (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #5)