Start by marking “Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)

Death Magic

(World of the Lupi #8)

DEATH MAGIC opens with Special Agent Lily Yu in Washington, D.C. with her fiancé--lupi prince Rule Turner—to testify before a Senate subcommittee about her role in the magical collapse of a mountain last month. She is not there to tell them about the strange legacy she carries from that event—or about the arcane bond between her and Rule--or what her boss in Unit Twelve of ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 377 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Death Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Magic

Start your review of Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
Choko
*** 3.44 ***

The war has began and sides have to organize and establish their forces. The one side is the side of the Great Bitch and the other is trying to get organized under a Shadow or Ghost Unit, lead by Ruben. Things are not going well for Lily, since she wants to stay on the side of the law, and in this situation even the good guys cannot afford to play by the rules. I love lily, but darn it, she is such a cop! Don't get me wrong, this is usually a very good thing, with her pedantic follo
Jilly
Not quite as good as the previous book, but still really solid. The characters are what make this series. Yes, there is plenty of bloodshed, mystery, dark magic, and war, but it is still a character-driven series.

A new favorite of mine is Fagin, and older, intellectual, eccentric teacher who has the same magic gift as Lily. He was a nice source of amusement in an otherwise dark storyline.

(After completely handing a cop-guard his ass for not allowing Lily into the room):

Fagin had enjoyed himse
edge of bubble
Shit hits the fan. Plot was nicely done as always. It got even more complicated. That's all I'm saying about the plot. Oh, and after that ending of the last book, we sure are left high and dry!

Let's get to the characters. Lily was the rock *mostly, somewhat* in this installment if you can believe! And Rule was yelling at God or Lady whatever "why meeee". While trying to create a love beyond anything, Wilks actually fucked up Rule's character. I can understand the need to show us how much Lily ma
Jen Davis
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I struggled a little with this installment. It’s not bad. There is a lot happening to advance the main story arc. The problem I had was with a noticable lack of feels. The last few books really struck a fantastic balance between action and its character focus. This time around, I really missed the character and emotional elements. I missed the romance. And I felt the pacing was uneven. But the ending is big, so no way you can skip it.

As the story begins, Lily and Rule are back in Washington DC t
Mei
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
OMG!!! Here everything happens! And Ms. Wilks makes it all work! Incredible!
On to the next!!!
Rebecca
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Eileen Wilks’ World of the Lupi is one of my favorite series, and I believe that it’s seriously underappreciated among fans of urban fantasy and paranormal romance. The heroine, Lily Yu, is the only female protagonist of Asian descent that I can think of in urban fantasy (if you know of any others, I’d love to hear about it!), and she is one tough chick. I love her relationship with werewolf Rule Turner, and if y
Marsha
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
I read or heard once that televisions producers did not like for characters to fall and love then marry on a show because the marriage would kill the longevity. It seems they believe marriage is mundane and boring and would cause viewers to lose interest. Well, let me tell you that although Lily and Rule (World of the Lupi) have not married yet, they are close and no way is this series losing its' momentum or excitement.

"Death Magic" has manage to do what no book has done for me in a long time.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This one was non stop action. I have to say that a few things were a bit beyond belief, even for a fantasy story, but the author made it work. With slimy death magic oozing everywhere, a recalcitrant mantle, plots and subplots from within and without, Lily and Rule and the rest of the gang have their hands full.
Daisa
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.75

It’s been quite a while since I’ve read a book in this series. To be perfectly honest…I kind of forgot about it. How? I don’t know because I love this series, these characters, the adventures they frequently are thrust into and all the love, friendship, turmoil and danger that comes along with it.

The difference in Rule and Lily’s relationship is night and day compared to what it was in the first and even second and third books. Lily understands the Lupi world and customs now, embra
AH
Eileen Wilks' World of the Lupi series is one of those hidden gems of the urban fantasy genre. So many people have not heard of this fantastic little series and it's kind of sad that they haven't. If you enjoy urban fantasy and love your werewolves, dragons, and other paranormal creatures, this series should be on your to-read list right away. Don't start with this book - the first book is called Tempting Danger and this is a series that MUST be read in order.

This is a wonderful series, well wri
Kathy Davie
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Eighth in the World of the Lupi urban fantasy series revolving around Lily Yu, a Special Agent with the FBI's Magical Crimes Division, and Rule Turner, a lupus carrying the mantles of two different Clans.

My Take
Humans First are plotting to turn more of the world against the lupi and it's pretty tricky stepping through all the minefields they and their cohorts are setting for the good guys.

I don't understand why Wilks think it's important to have ghosts appearing to Lily before they die? That's a
Katyana
Well, huh.

Here's the thing. The story was excellent. The overall story for the series continues to ramp up, and there are several exciting twists. I really enjoyed it.

But I am a little bit bummed.

See, part of what I have loved about this series is Lily and Rule. They feel like extraordinarily real people, and their relationship is fantastic. Not perfect, but exceptionally real, in a way that is rare in writing.

And this book kind of wrecked that for me.

I just felt largely baffled by Rule's behavi
Bookmom
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lily, a former homicide cop now working in the Magical Crimes Division of the FBI, struggles with the idea of a Shadow Unit created to work outside the law in order to prevent the worldwide disasters her pre-cog boss, Ruben, has been seeing. She understands that it’s necessary and will keep her mouth shut, but she can’t be part of it even when finding out that her lupi fiancé, Rule is already involved.

But she changes her mind after Ruben is accused of killing a senator, a vocal member of Human’s
Sophia
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf
In installment eight, Lily and Rule are back in DC giving testimony for a Senate Committee hearing regarding their roles in the situation from the end of last book. Things are escalating with the Humans First crowd and their engagement. But of course, things are not that simple.

Lily learns of a shadowy group that are in place to protect the world against the Lady's enemies and Rule is part. Lily refuses. Then Lily is assigned to a murder investigation and the lead agent doesn't care for gifted
Angela James
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have such mad love for this series, and for Lily and Rule. Things happen in this particular book that fans of the series won't anticipate, but are quite interesting.
Trix
(view spoiler)

As was the case with the previous book, Death Magic had multiple threads unraveling: (view spoiler)
Tim Mercer
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars. In this one Cynna is out of the story and it focuses on Lily, Rule and Cullen together with her Unit buddies. The bad guys are Human First and the Great Bitch. I wanted to go 4.5 stars but I really felt it was flat during the 2nd quarter of the book. High points for me was the way the author dovetails in new magic details to build the story and the world. She does this really well without disturbing the overall story arc which stops the story getting repetitive over the series. Addition ...more
Stephanie  G
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it

While in Washington D.C. to answers questions from of a Senate subcommittee, FBI Special Agent Lily Yu is called in to help investigate the murder of a senator who was well known for his strong dislike of magic. It quickly becomes clear that death magic was involved and the only real suspect they have is Lily's boss. Out to clear his name and find out who the real murderer is, Lily will do what's necessary, even put her career in jeopardy, to find the truth.

One thing I've always loved a
Melindeeloo
The time for subtlety is passed and the enemy of the Lupi escalates from covert skirmishes to all out public war and if key players do not move into different roles - for Lily, one that goes against who she 'is' - the losses will be staggering.

As others have mentioned the first half of the book was slow (even slower for those of us who broke down and read the excerpt at the end of Blood Magic, since we covered the same ground twice) and much of what went down in that part of the book ended up be
mlady_rebecca
Fast moving, action packed addition to the series. Not sure that there is much more to say without revealing spoilers. One of those books that I really enjoyed and "enough said". Ms. Wilks needs to write faster. *g*

I'm feeling lazy, so I'm giving you the blurb, as is, for a summary:

Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF or PNR fans
Grade: B+

Thank you Goodread friends for bringing this series to my attention. Eileen Wilks has such an imagination; the World of Lupi is rich and detailed. She creats her own spin to the werewolf lore. Love the demons, witches, dragons, sidhe, brownies, gifted, and sorcerers. Her characters are engaging. Lily Yu is smart and sexy in an understated way. Rule Turner is a smooth werewolf, excuse me, lupi; he's not a uber alpha but he tries his hardest to keep Lily safe while also trying to respect
Shannon C.
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans, paranormal romance fans
Another very good addition to the World of Lupi series! Death Magic is heavy on the urban fantasy plotline (suspense, drama, action, mystery) but still had a little romance with some good Lily/Rule scenes. I missed some of my favorite side characters who didn't play a big role in this one, but it was still a very good book. A big surprise happens (not a bad one) and the setup for the next book makes me want to read it. I'm so wondering about that missile....

If you haven't read the series, it's b
~Megan~
Loved this latest installment to one of my very favorite series! So many things are going on, and so many of them surprised me. It's awesome that we are on book 8 now and Wilks can still manage to do that.

I'm so looking forward to what will happen with the war, and with Ruben Brooks. I missed everyone back at Clanhome, but I'm hoping we'll get back there in the next book!

I love Lily and Rule!
Jessica
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Occasionally charming and with a definite "I wasn't expecting that!" moment near the end. Since it largely seems to be setting up future action, I'd say it's stronger as a part of the series than as a stand-alone novel. If you're a fan of the series, you'll want to read it; if you're new to the series, start at the beginning.
Kathy
Maura
ALPHAreader
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
It’s a bad time to be Supernatural. The ‘Humans First’ campaign is gaining momentum and questionable support. Lily’s boss, Ruben Brooks has already come under attack and now his failing health has shook up the Supernatural underground . . . there’s a unit being formed – The Shadow Unit. Many of Lily’s nearest and dearest are already members, joined in order to protect their families and loved ones. And now they want Lily to join – even though it goes against everything she stands for as a police ...more
Tanya Davis
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The World of the Lupi series is building up to a war with the Great Bitch. Role shuffling is going on so that the defenses to any upcoming magical attacks can be dealt with without restraints from the normal government lines. This puts Lily in an uncomfortable position, but it does not take long for the corruption in the formal government to sway her. It is surprising to see what this new unit consists of.

As with the previous books, we get hit with shock after shock. There are also multiple issu
Emily
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great series! I’m glad the quality is consistently good and that the author continues to take the plot in surprising directions. The more I read this series, the more I like it. (view spoiler)
Estara
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the series, especially Lily and Rule
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy series
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Tied with a Bow (Includes: Breeds, #17.5; Coyote Breeds, #3; World of the Lupi, #8.5)
  • Spider's Trap (Elemental Assassin, #13)
  • Black Widow (Elemental Assassin, #12)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Bitter Bite (Elemental Assassin, #14)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • Snared (Elemental Assassin, #16)
  • Unraveled (Elemental Assassin, #15)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)
  • Lover Beware (Drake Sisters, #1; World of the Lupi extra)
  • Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
Eileen Wilks’ first book, a Silhouette Desire published in 1996, hit the USA Today Bestseller List and was nominated for Romantic Times' Best First Short Contemporary award. Since then, her books have appeared consistently on national bestseller lists. With thirty two books in print and novellas in nine anthologies, she has been a finalist in the prestigious Rita Awards three times, as well as rec ...more

World of the Lupi (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1)
  • Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi, #2)
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10)
  • Unbinding (World of the Lupi, #11)

News & Interviews

“Fear and bigotry don’t need explaining. They simply are, like traffic jams and taxes.” 8 likes
“(Lily and Rule discussing wedding plans...)

"You want to get married by Carl?"

"Your father's cook?"

"Yes, and I've been wanting to talk about the doves."

"Doves." Her eyes widened in horror. "My mother wanted doves."

"Perhaps she had a point. Wouldn't it look splendid, releasing a few dozen white doves all at once to carry our message of hope and love up to --"

"Your are so full of shit." But she started laughing. "Doves, sure. Our guests would love some flying hors d'oeuvres. Maybe we should have some cute little bunnies for them to chase after the ceremony instead of cake, sending our message of fuzzy, yummy love to flesh eaters everywhre.”
7 likes