Start by marking “The Serial Killer's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Serial Killer's Wife

The Serial Killer's Wife

USA TODAY Bestseller

Five years ago Elizabeth Piccioni’s husband was arrested for being a serial killer. Her life suddenly turned upside down, she did what she thought was best for her newborn baby: she took her son and ran away to start a new life.

Now, living in a quiet part of the Midwest with a new identity, Elizabeth is ready to start over. But one day she receives a
Published June 12th 2011 by RMS Press

To ask other readers questions about The Serial Killer's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Serial Killer's Wife

Cheryn Tan
An extremely frustrating book -- I was initially drawn in by the premise and the many 4-5 star ratings on Goodreads, but I found myself irritated by the clumsy handling of plot events and the paper-thin characters. It basically felt like a popcorn flick, all action and no substance. The big reveal where the villain explains their motives in painstaking detail was like a caricature of a Bond film, except done in earnest. Such a shame, I wanted to like this book -- in spite of a cringe-worthy fore ...more
Tiffany PSquared
Well, that didn't go how I expected.

It's true that you get what you pay for, and since this was free via Amazon, I guess you know how this review is gonna go.

What I Liked:
-The writing was good. The story the author told, however, was not the story I expected to read.
-But despite my expectations, it was well-written and did hold my attention. Plus, I did not guess the ending - as convoluted as it was. Hence the 3-star rating, even though it wasn't memorable.

What I Disliked:
-I was so hyped for
Tristan Robin Blakeman
I just finished reading Pretty Little Things and decided to take a break from serial killers, and began reading Fiona Davis' The Address, as it's been recommended to me by several people. After the first fifty or so pages it hadn't grabbed me yet, so I decided to switch over and pick up a serial killer stand-by...there's never anything like a blood-thirsty whackjob to get my reading interest piqued!

This turned out to be a real page turner! I will admit, there were some jumps (leaps?) over reason
sue
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love a good thriller.

1. It holds my attention right from the start
2. Its fast paced and doesn't falter
3. The story weaves and opens up surprises and shocks you never expected

Yep, its got all this and more!

Here we have a woman who has a child, a little boy. Obviously going by the title, you know she was married to a Serial Killer. He is now in prison. She changed her identity.

Her son is taken.

What would you do to get your son back?

Here you see a woman that would do anything, absolutely anythin
Shannon Yarbrough
Okay. I admit it. I was one of those high school teenagers who liked to read true crime fiction and was obsessed with stories about serial killers. I think I even owned a mass market Encyclopedia of Serial Killers at one time. But not anymore!

But when I came across Robert Swartwood's The Serial Killer's Wife over at GoodReads and read the blurb, discovering it was a fictional story told from the perspective of a serial killer's wife, I was intrigued. So, I emailed Mr. Swartwood and asked if he'd
Ben
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Serial Killers' Wife

Reading this book is like riding in the passenger's seat of a race car in one of those road races through the countryside. The countryside goes by in a blur, every moment is a bang- bang moment as once the action begins, and it hardly ever stops as you race along to the finish.

The wife in question has relocated along with her young son to a new town and a new job as a teacher's aide. One day she gets a phone message that her son has been abducted. The kidnapper sends a t
Tracy T.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story was really good. Great narration by Tanya Eby (audible review)

I enjoyed the mystery that kept me guessing the whole way through, all the way to the end. I liked Elizabeth for the most part, she did do a couple stupid things but the rest of the story made up for it.

I don't want to say too much to give a way the mystery. But this was a good one. So just know if you want read\listen to something to keep you guessing this is one. Things were constantly happening and there was lots of dial
Trish R.
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nearly perfect read!

This book catches your attention from the very beginning, with teachers sitting around talking about a child molester who just moved into their neighborhood, and one teacher trying to figure out a way to murder him. And then, with a phone call to Elizabeth/Sarah the story really gets going. The bad guy, Cain, sends her to the child molesters house, where the first awful thing happens, (you’ll have to read the book to find out what happened.) Then she goes to the bar she used
Michael Chambers
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Fast paced thriller with a great twist.
This is the type of book you can't put down. In fact I didn't! Finished in two sessions over two days!
Without giving away the plot too much the story revolves around Elizabeth and her son Matthew who is kidnapped. The story follows Elisabeth in her attempt to find her son and be reunited.

I highly recommend this book.
Rayna Fay
Aug 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much potential, what a disappointment.
Lorrie
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
What an incredibly boring, predictable book.
BookNerdsBrainDump
Short Take: Insulting.

Who doesn’t love serial killers? If you’re a horror fan, then you know how the serial-killer subgenre has evolved over the years: It started with the guy in the mask, stalking around & killing his victims with a combination of a machete & brute force. Over time, as audiences grew tired of seeing the same moronic teenagers get vivisected over and over, the serial killer became a smarter, more refined gent who preferred to commit his murders from a distance, usually w
Kris
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting twist to the thriller genre. The serial killer in question is already in custody and in prison having been found guilty for what are being called “The Widower Murders”. The designation comes about because the ring finger and wedding rings from each of the female victims has been removed.

The wife in question, rather than go through the sadness and humiliation of the trial, ran away with their infant son and has been in hiding for the last five or six years. As the story op
Alisa Hedden
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
What would you do to save your child? Clearly Elizabeth will do anything necessary. She turns out to be a character that is strong enough to do what it takes, while still retaining her humanity and compassion. She manages to fight through loosing everything and rebuilding a life for herself and her son only to be attacked just when she thinks she is safe. Even with that, she doesn’t break down and give up, but continues on through more losses than anyone should be expected to deal with and betra ...more
Lori Fox
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of mysterys and thrillers
Recommended to Lori by: Kindle bookstore
I read this book in 24 hours between kids, work, and practices if that tells you anything. This book was my first read by Robert Swartwood and I am very glad I read it. It was exciting, thrilling, kept me guessing until the end. I am definitely a new fan and I am looking forward to reading more of his books. I have been looking for a new fresh author that holds my attention and I have found it. Just read the book, you won't be disappointed.
Ellen Sletten
There were parts I liked. There were twists I enjoyed and didn't see coming. But some if it was so obvious, and some if it was just so trite, this woman is almost a superhero, escaping the FBI, knocking out grown men, disarming grown men, it was nearly insulting to a reader's intelligence. It was still a fun, easy and fast read.
Jenee Rager
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, legal
Another page turner. I simply loved the action in this book and all the twists and turns kept you wondering what would happen next. I think Robert Swartwood has the ability to be the next Michael Connelly or James Patterson based on this book. Definitely a unique and fun story.
Ryan Pacillo
I thought this book great!Good writing,good characters,a lot of suspense and a lots of twists and turns leading to a ending that leaves you feeling like a great read should.I highly recommend giving this book a try.
nell banks
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow!

The story was expertly woven together each piece joined exactly right.Well worth your time.Characters were well done and likeable for the most part. Surprising twists and turns.
Kelly
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a relentless, lightning fast, well-written thriller with clever twists and turns until the end. Swartwood is definitely one thriller author you will want on your radar.
Renee
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I was surprised by the ending! this almost never happens in mystery novels!! great rhythm in the storytelling! highly recommend
Jaime
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast paced read. Suspenseful and had a twist ending. I really enjoyed this book.
Ronald Keeler
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The Serial Killer’s Wife by Robert Swartwood grabs reader attention right away with a catchy title. Given that a serial killer might have a wife, is she then automatically either willingly or unwillingly an accomplice? We learn in the first few pages that Sarah Walter is working as a teacher’s assistant, so she must not have been considered an accomplice. But Sarah is also Elizabeth Piccione and Elizabeth’s husband is in jail for multiple murders. Serial killers once caught tend to attract publi ...more
Sophie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Imagine finding out your husband and father of your child not only is a serial killer but, is a serial rapist too. This is what happened to Elizabeth. She fell in love with her college boyfriend, Edward, got married became a school teacher and started a family. Then, her whole world was turned up upside down when the FBI showed up at her front door. Elizabeth decided it would be best for her and her son to just leave and get away from it all. They moved far, far away changed their names, and so
B.E.L.L.A.Mc
Weirdly compelling-ish. Too many characters; most lacking flesh on their bones. Like Tod/Frank for example. Not enough romance for me; no passion, just very cold and clinical.

Additionally errors like Matthew crying and screaming while his mouth’s taped closed; those little details irk me. Lots of ‘missing words’; Fire the Editor if you use one.

Would I read this author again; probably not. Would I read this book again; no way. Did I like any of the characters; nah not really. Did I read any of
Elizabeth Berg
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book

I read some of the reviews before i purchased this book and decided not to listen to the reviews. I LOVED THIS BOOK i couldn't put it down. I found it to be filled with adventure. It kept me guessing all the way through it and i was actually shocked at the twist at the ending.
I read a lot of books and i find that many books with a 4 star rating are really poorly written. This author is on top of his game! There were alot of characters in the book without alot of drivel about who th
Wendy
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This story was easy to read, was pure entertainment but the plot was quite ridiculous and unrealistic. I was happy to put the book down and didn't feel terribly compelled to find out what happens. It was fast paced and had an unexpected twist at the end.

When a serial killer known as the widow maker is put in prison his wife and child escape, change their names and try to start their lives again.

When her son is abducted and a picture of him with a neck bomb and a countdown clock is sent to her sh
Bambi Neal
I appreciate the book. It kept me interested enough to finish it,but frustrated by the comings and all the goings of the characters. The plot was good them got pretty "well what can I add here to make this connection?" by the author. I think sometimes in these kinds of books it's best to focus more on the key figures. I can't say it was a great read,or even a good read. Not many of those these days.
Veronica Lamb
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally and utterly fooled.

I read this book as fast as humanly possible. Swiping one page after another. I had my suspicions about Todd. He just seemed to perfect but I never even suspected him as Frank. Jim completely fooled me. So many twists and out yet so intelligently written it became easy to follow. Even at a fast pace. I thought Elizabeth was nuts. Totally and utterly fooled.
Doris Wood
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't see that coming.

I have been spending too much time reading books that I have to force myself to finish. This was a great change. Fast paced, interesting story with a real surprise. Yes, it is about a serial killer, but not gory and graphic. I look forward to finding another book by this author. Thanks, Mr. Smartwood.
  • Faint of Heart
  • Birds of Prey
  • Freeze
  • Unprotected Sax
  • Wallflower (Harbinger Mystery, #2)
  • Broken Shield (Tony Wolf/Tim Buckthorn #2)
  • Gargoyle (Jack Be Nimble #1)
  • Wild Night Is Calling
  • Tiger Paw
  • The Half Life of Ryan Davis
  • Minor Snobs
  • One Man's Castle
  • Dark Inspiration
  • The Shuttered Room
  • Talking with Serial Killers 2: The World's Most Evil Killers Tell Their Stories
  • Flat Lake in Winter
  • Elizabeth Bathory: A Memoire: As Told by Her Court Master, Benedict Dese�
  • Desired to Death
USA TODAY bestselling author of The Serial Killer's Wife, The Calling, Man of Wax, and several other novels. He created the term "hint fiction" and edited Hint Fiction: An Anthology of Stories in 25 Words or Fewer.