Start by marking “Heston Blumenthal at Home” as Want to Read:
Heston Blumenthal at Home

Heston Blumenthal at Home

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  503 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Until now, home cooking has remained radically out of touch with the technological developments that characterize the rest of modern life. This is the book to prove that science can dramatically improve the way we eat. Having spent years refining his analytical and imaginative approach at the Fat Duck restaurant, Heston Blumenthal is uniquely qualified to bring the benefit ...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by Bloomsbury USA (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Heston Blumenthal at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heston Blumenthal at Home

Mandie Kok
I don't know he did it, but Heston Blumenthal managed to make a recipe book containing the most basic of recipes new and exciting. If anyone else wrote a book containing recipes for chicken stock, roast chicken, quiche Lorraine, fish pie, mayonnaise and a grilled cheese toastie, I would say no thank you, I already have books with those recipes. But you just know that a Heston Blumenthal grilled cheese toastie is no ordinary grilled cheese toastie. No, the Heston toastie makes use of an inedible ...more
Jennifer Rinehart
I had a friend whose mother was a dental hygienist and yep, she was a floss nazi. Floss and toothbrushes for Christmas, mouthwash for birthdays and graduation. Now, clearly, dental hygiene is an interesting and varied subject, but it isn't something you would encounter everywhere, right? I mean besides the obvious of checking out everyone's smiles.

I guess what I'm getting at is that food is everywhere. Everyone eats. Everyone prepares food for eating (well, maybe not Queen Elizabeth) but the res
Clare Cannon
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A gift book for the wannabe chef and food enthusiast. Ingredients and flavours are explained in detail even before the recipes begin. Then there are scores of recipes ranging from the flavour-filled ordinary to the surprising and exotic. Not every recipe has a picture (though many do), which could make it hard for a non-expert chef to follow. Not that you can ever get it to look like the picture anyway...
^
It’s difficult to know where to begin in assessing this book. I should firstly and firmly state that although I bought this book new, I did not, and would not have, paid the cover price of £30. I paid £7. I justify and retain my reputation as ’maintaing a good table’ by what I cook, and not by the number of currently ‘fashionable’ authors of volumes in my (admittedly large) library of cookery books.

There’s no doubting that Mr Blumenthal is very astute, and that he’s a very capable chef. By dazzl
Melanie Ebenhoch
Dieses Buch hat es auf Anhieb auf Platz 1 meiner Lieblingskochbücher geschafft und es ist eins der Kochbücher, das wirklich intensiv genutzt und gelesen wird. Ich habe bereits mehrere Gerichte aus dem Buch nachgekocht Und bisher war jedes einfach unglaublich lecker. Blumenthal hat für seine 2 Restaurants in England 5 Michelin-Sterne und jeder einzelne Stern ist berechtigt. Es ist sehr hilfreich, wenn man sich mit Kochen gut auskennt bevor man sich an Blumenthal's Rezepte macht und Utensilien wie ...more
Kate Croft
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Absolutely lovely cookbook, particularly for culinary nerds who are interested in the gastro-sciences. A world-renowned chef and molecular gastronomist, Blumenthal sometimes describes his kitchen at the Michelin-rated restaurant Fat Duck as looking "more like a laboratory" - one where temperatures are measured to tenths of a degree, and "aromas" are cooked up to serve alongside a meal. Most of the Fat Duck recipes are not, I would wager, particularly suited for preparation at home. In "Heston Bl ...more
Martijn Van Duivenboden
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foodies
Recommended to Martijn by: BBC
Hoewel de titel Heston Blumenthal Thuis doet vermoeden dat iedere thuiskok wat met dit boek kan, is dit echt een boek voor de geoefende kok. En daarmee wordt ook het enige minpunt van dit boek benoemd. De eigenzinnige Blumenthal - die in Groot Brittannië op handen wordt gedragen - legt op een heldere wijze wat koken als chemisch proces is. Garing, textuur, smaken en gereedschap worden zo beschreven dat het je fundamentele kijk op koken verandert en verbetert. Hierin is hij schatplichtig aan Haro ...more
Meredith
This book is well put together, well presented, and no doubt the recipes would be really impressive.

If you made them.

Personally I am put off by instructions for a recipe that fill or exceed one relatively large page.

Maybe if there was a reasonable menu with instructions on how to do a number of dishes at once, step by step....but it looks like any one recipe would pretty much take your whole attention. No room for any other items on your table.
Vuk Trifkovic
Cold, soulless and very 1980. Full of uninspiring and insipid recipes. Nothing I'd really wish to cook. But boy, does he do a good job of breaking down the process of cooking and laying it all out for you. So, don't worry if you don't like Blumenthal or if you don't want to cook any of his dishes. It's still a very good read.
Karen Foster
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recipe-books
A cook book to read from cover to cover... He has a great way of explaining the theory and science of food and taste... Such a genius and 'the fat duck' restaurant is at the very top of my bucket list- it's a shame that the recipes themselves are a little lack luster... Especially compared to the truly magical dishes he specializes in at his restaurant...
Becca Osborn
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Yes, I realize I am reviewing a cookbook. In my defense I read the entire thing and I loved learning new aspects of cooking from Heston. I can't wait to employ this new knowledge and I've already loved the recipes I've tried.
Tamara
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This isn't a recipe book on how to make food magic like Heston Blumenthal. It's a down to earth techniques textbook which reads well and draws you in. I may just get rid of all my recipe books and focus on technique. (Or not.)
Katherine
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful pix and a range of difficulty on the recipes - not everyone could use this "at home" comfortably on every recipe but he does help you to reimagine techniques and tools and because he is self taught he can explain how he learned that they work.
Arna
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
inspired - though worried about sourcing ingredients and a sous-vide machine. Perhps a trip to Milly's!
Tom Stafford
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Modernist Cuisine: At Home
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide
  • Polpo: A Venetian Cookbook (Of Sorts)
  • White Heat
  • Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
  • The Kitchen as Laboratory: Reflections on the Science of Food and Cooking
  • The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • Moro: The Cookbook
  • India: The Cookbook
Heston Blumenthal is chef-patron of The Fat Duck in Bray, a three Michelin-starred restaurant known for its whimsical, scientific and creative style of cookery and famed for being named World’s Best Restaurant more than once.

At the age of 16, Heston travelled to France with his family for the first time and became fascinated with the world of food. He spent the next decade learning the basics of F
More about Heston Blumenthal...