Start by marking “A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)

A Week to Be Wicked

(Spindle Cove #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  21,222 ratings  ·  1,880 reviews
When a devilish lord and a bluestocking set off on the road to ruin... time is not on their side.

Minerva Highwood, one of Spindle Cove's confirmed spinsters, needs to be in Scotland.

Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne, a rake of the first order, needs to be... anywhere but Spindle Cove.

These unlikely partners have one week to
• fake an elopement
• convince family/>
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Avon

·  21,222 ratings  ·  1,880 reviews

Start your review of A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
Catherine
*Originally read 3/24/12*

Do you remember Colin from my Tempting Teaser of A Night to Surrender? No? Well, let me refresh your memory. Colin is an unrepentant rake. He enjoys women and they enjoy him. He is arrogant and can come across as quite an ass. But what does he care? The women love him just as he loves them. He might have a tendency to make a mess of things but he always manages to put on a charming smile and turn the situation to his advantage.
”You have no compunction ruining your reputation, nor those of you
Anne
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Jurassic Park
I'm not quite as in love with the Spindle Cove series as everyone else is, but this one was definitely one of my favorites! These two are just such a cute couple.
The smart, bookish girl and the rascally ladies man...what's not to love?

description

This was one of those books that scratched my need for a fun, humorous, lighthearted romance. I loved Payne's silliness, the way he made up crazy stories, and (of course) s
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Wow! What can I possibly say about this one to convey how absolutely wonderful it is? Talk about a charming, wickedly splendid read and a smashing good time! A Week to Be Wicked is one of the most engaging, refreshing, witty, banterific, and all around pleasing historical romances that I’ve read in quite a while and definitely so far this year.

Colin is a handsome, flirtatious, affable, generous, funny, sweet, and utterly lovable scoundrel
Michelle
“But, my lord, unmarried women cannot attend as guests. It’s not proper.”

“For the love of ammonites, man! That’s just stupid. Why on earth would the Society need to protect unmarried women from bone-dry lectures regarding soil composition? Do your members find themselves whipped into some sort of dusty frenzy, from which no delicate lass would be safe?”

Mr. Barrington tugged on his coat. “Sometimes debate does get heated.”

This dialogue from close to the end of the book ju
Carmen
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Carmen by: Sam (AMNReader)
She couldn't 'heal' him. No woman could. Events that far in the past just couldn't be undone. But perhaps he didn't need a cure, but... a lens. Someone who accepted him for the imperfect person he was, and then helped him see the world clear. Like spectacles did for her.

It's amazing to me how Tessa Dare can just NAIL some things, and then wildly misstep on others. And the sex, don't get me started on the sex. Let's work on breaking this down.

PREMISE:

Dare creates the best set-ups. She real
Warda
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-fell-in-love
I mean, I cannot give this book anything less than 5 stars. It’d be absurd and unfair, because the happiness I felt whilst reading it was unreal. It’s so worthy of 5 stars and more. My heart is glowing!

Now, I’m off to explore more of Tessa Dare’s books.
Jilly
I'm a sucker for a charming rake. Here's what my "coming out" season would have been like:

1st night: "Oh look, there's Jilly in her pretty new dress...
Oh, the most notorious rake in town just made her laugh...
There she goes with him out on the veranda - without a chaperone...
Aaannd.. she's ruined.
I hope she enjoys living with her spinster aunt for the rest of her life."

Not only is Colin gorgeous and funny, but he also has a painful past that plague
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: Susanne
5 “FOR-THE-LOVE-OF-TITS” STARS!!!!!!!!

I’m in love with this book!!!

photo tumblr_mje1sjIlMV1rkf2rso1_400_zps94ebb888.gif

I’m giggling like...a nerd!!!

Nerd Words Are Sexy!!!

And the way you pronounce all those polysyllabic words? Makes me rock hard, every time.

This book was MADE…FOR…ME. I’m a huge nerd, ladies. I’m obsessed with books (duh). I love math. I loved schoolSexy!!!
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
NerdSTARS!!!!!!!!
I’m
Alp
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alp by: Jo
A Week to Be Wicked is a sweet, humorous, and entertaining historical romance story. I enjoyed reading Colin and Minerva’s journey to Edinburgh for the most part. There were many good and bad things happened along the way. Sometimes they made me laugh, but they got me frustrated the other times. The romance between them made my heart melt though, and seeing them finally could be happy together made me happy, too.

What worked for me :

1. It was an easy read. There was nothing part/>What
NMmomof4
4.25 Stars

Overall Opinion: I really enjoyed this! I think this author is definitely one of my favorites for her characters and witty banter in historical romances! If only she would have more closure and epilogues...🤷🏻♀ I would still highly recommend her works to anyone trying out the genre. I enjoy throwing in the occasional hr to mix things up with my contemporary romances, as to hopefully help prevent possible book funks. It was a lot of fun 🤗

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Minerva/>Brief/>Overall
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

5 Wickedly Feel Good Stars!

A Week to be Wicked is the second book in Tessa Dare’s thoroughly entertaining, completely brilliant Spindle Cove series. It’s funny, romantic, poignant, passionate, sexy, inspiring, clever, delightful… in a word – it’s wonderful!

The Series:

Not all young ladies are looking forward to seasons, balls, comings out, love matches - or any match at all, for that matter! But what’s a lady to do when her whole life will be defined by how well she marries? How do young misses cope when Marri/>The/>A
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Fable

"When a girl trudged through the rain at midnight to knock at the Devil's door, the Devil should at least have the depravity - if not the decency - to answer."

Guys. Guuuuuys. I think I may be a romantic.

Yes there are parts completely unbelievable and twists rather roll-eyes worthy - of course. But you know what? That's okay, because what Min and Colin are offering us? That's a tale - a show of deception, the triumph of the lies - and that's hilarious.

Yes the plot is predictable and we run into some sentences very cliché sometimes. But you know what? Tromantic.
Aileene

*wipes palms on skirts*

*rubs hands together*

So.
I have been curious about this genre. But I avoided it.
Why?
Well, just take a look at the covers of every historical romance books.
Not. Very. Appealing.
Yes, I'm not afraid to admit, that at times, I can be skin deep in choosing my books. I love a good cover. Esp if it catches my attention at first glance.

I also have this thinking that everything about this (genre) would be outdated. It's something similar to these:

Would you rather play this

*wipes palms on skirts*

*rubs hands together*

So.
I have been curious about this genre. But I avoided it.
Why?
Well, just take a look at the covers of every historical romance books.
Not. Very. Appealing.

Would you rather play this

when you can have this?

Yes, I'm an R.E. fan - BIG TIME!

Not to mention sexy times. I cringe at the thought of their very outdated, boring and old fashioned coupling. In my head, male just goes on top of the female and does the deed---> probably with half the clothes on.
No copping a feel, no dirty talks, no sweaty bodies and no mention of male's subway size *shudders* UNACCEPTABLE.

This

Versus THIS.

So, you see, I did have reasons. VALID reasons, if I may add.
But being a member of Goodreads comes with the opportunity to meet other readers who are not limited to what you read only. These people are cunning. They influence. They gang up (on you). And THEY ARE AMAZING.

Enter Joanita, my book recommender.
Jess who instigated the "Let's read together "

and of course, not the very least, Alp, the accomplice.
Because of them, I was more excited to get my V HR-card punched.

My Jess and Alp in this adventure.

So, off I go to my first journey with my precioussssss.

On to the review.
*looks at Jo and mouths*
Buckle up, this one is for you.

Warning: I so am going to abuse my new found love word = TRULY

****Really?
Truly!
Not as effective as the word F* (Oh don't you roll your eyes on me. F* does punctuate and send the message across clearly) but nevertheless still fun to use.

The story was pretty SOS (same old story). Ah, ah, ah, not done yet - the author, Ms Dare, branded this story with her unique style. She is bloody brilliant and a mischief maker that after turning few pages in, I was hooked.

*****Truly?
Truly!

I'll be honest here, at first I was truly reluctant to start. I thought this would be my first ever
moment when I said yes to this BR and have put myself into something I can't get out of but HOLY SHIT! as I read along, my journey companions disappeared, forgot 'em and totally got into the story.

*****Pfffft. That can't be real. This is not my genre, right?
Wrong. Coz I did - promise....err truly!

The plot.

I want you to read the blurb to get a good picture what the plot is all about.
I try my hardest not to say anything at the risk of spoiling the story or even say something measly because I want you guys to experience every single bit first hand.

Main characters

Minerva - one of the three Highwood sisters who live in Spindle Cove and the different of 'em all.

Colin - the Romeo who wreaks havoc anywhere he goes.

Together these two have created a very memorable journey where they find the ultimate love whilst facing different challenges the fate decided to throw.

Thoughts.

I fell in love with this couple. They were funny. They were perfect, be together or separated. And they balanced each other out.
Let me just say that I was ensnared. The way they danced around each other. Their snark at each other. Aaaah! It was beautiful to read!

Colin. This cheeky but charming devil had me laughing non stop but squeezed my heart when I got to know him in deeper level.
He was very good in blurring his susceptibility by poking fun at everything.
He made their one week journey adventurous and full of passion.
But deep inside him, a scar that couldn't heal and I truly believe that he's just within a stone's throw of falling apart.

Marissa Madeleine Melinda Matilda
Michaela Morgana Melissande
MINERVA. My type of heroine, who doesn't care what others think. She's got the smarts and every word that comes out of her mouth holds water. I adore her. She was truly incredible.

I loved the plot. I loved the characters. I loved the settings. I loved the secondary characters.
Heck, I even adored Mrs Highwood, the witch.

So, Ms Joanita, I thank you for this adventure. You gave me a beautiful ring book that will definitely start my journey to Regency Romance.

Giving it 4 No-cumming-no-clenching-no-winking-no-giggling-nothing-that-made-me-cringe Stars

Shout out to these beautiful women: Jess and Alp. Best buddy readers one could have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Together, these 3 have joined forces to pop yours truly's cherry on Historical Romance genre.

Would it hurt?
Would it be an enjoyable ride?
Would I stop after this read and never look back or continue on until preventive measure will be placed to keep addiction at arm's length?

Answers will be revealed. Stay tuned.

Will commence on Wednesday 11 May
Jill
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

For amateur geologist Minerva Highwood, her passion for science is equaled only by her love for her sisters. Fearing that Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne that lazy, aimless, dim-witted rake might have designs on her beautiful, sweet sister, Minerva proposes a plan to Colin whereby both of them will end up winners. And her sister will be safe from the clutches of an arranged Society marriage.

If Colin escorts her to Edinburgh, Scotland and helps with her presentation to the Ro
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Tessa Dare, I needed this today.

After a string of mediocre/terrible books, this was like a beacon of light in the darkness.

After years of reading romance, this book, and the one before it (A Night to Surrender), might just have converted me to a die-hard historical romance fan. Honestly, this book was pretty much perfection.

I need to
Melanie A.
Re-read via audio: July 2019
"Tally ho!"
"You're cracked."
Still one of my all-time favorite reads EVER!

5++ STARS!!!
Minerva considered herself a reasonably intelligent person, but good heavens . . . handsome men made her stupid.
I can't possibly begin to express all the ways that I LOVED this book! It was absolute PERFECTION in my eyes; hilarious, sweet, sexy, romantic, and beautiful. Better even than The Duchess Deal, which I adored. Strong words, I know, but ones that I believe most fervently. ;)/>
Robin (Bridge Four)
I liked this, it was cute it had some really funny moments, some great sexual tension at times and all and all it was fun. It did drag a bit towards the end and that is why I’m only giving it 3.5 stars instead of 4.0 to 4.5 I was really getting a little bored towards the end.

Minerva’s head is always stuck in a book, she practically lives in them. Her mother believes that there is no hope for Minerva. Queue the opening scene to Beauty and the Beast.

photo ClickHandlerashx_zps5fbcc86a.gif

Diana and Charlotte will do well for themselves, but Minerva? Plain, bookish, distracted, awkward with gentlemen. In a word, hopeless.

Everyone in the town is convinced that Mr. Collin Payne will soon be asking her beautiful sister Diana to marry him. Minerva wants to save Diana from this torturous future and she also would like to make it to a geological symposium to present her discovery. Two birds, one stone all she has to do is convince the devilish Mr. Payne to accompany her to Scotland and the symposium.

Collin is a rake, but at least he has rules for his rakishness. No virgins and no ruination of society women….how generous. Minerva needs him and for some reason he wants to rise to the challenge for her, even if he pretends that he can’t remember her name.

“This is true valor, I hope you know. Legends have sprung from less. All Lancelot did was paddle about in a balmy lake.” She smiled. “Lancelot was a knight. You’re a viscount. The bar is higher.”

What ensues is a trip across the country where every time they turn around some new disaster strikes out at them. In the days they talk getting to know each other and making up fantastical tales for any traveling companions they may find. At night they begin to discover that their bodies know they should be together even if their minds and hearts aren’t sure yet.

“I'm male. You rubbed your...femaleness all over me. I didn't think. I reacted.”

There are some incredibly funny scenes and banter between the Minerva and Collin. My favorite banter being how to seduce a woman using mathematical terms. Had I not already read One Good Earl Deserves a Lover I might have liked this more. A Week to be Wicked actually made me miss that book and I re-read it in the middle of reading this one. It really had me until the last third of the book when I was really looking for a stronger wrap up of the story and it seemed to wax and wane on.

My only other problem was with Collin, it took me a little time to warm up to him. He was a right rake and due to part of the situation in the opening scene I didn’t grow to really like him until the journey was underway. His transition from rake to helplessly needing Minerva went really quickly.

This is still a great cotton candy Historical Romance when you just want to root for the girl who reads while walking.
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

❝For the love of tits!❞

I LOVED this book, the characters, the humor and witty dialogues!!! DELIGHTFUL!!!
Of course the romance was perfect, built from antagonism and lack of expectations, it made for an even better HEA.
A man might engage in flirtation with distinterest, even disdain. But he never teases without affection.

I loved how escorted by Colin, Minerva's journey became a total contradiction to her practical, sensible and logical manners.
Light, hilarious, smart and sexy as hell, A Week To Be Wicked was a hell of a page turnerHEA.
Susanne
Updated review after reread! Thanks Karen and Jennifer for reading it with me <3 <3

"A geology symposium." He flicked a glance at the journal. "This is the scandalous midnight proposal. The one you trudged through the cold, wet dark to make. You're inviting me to a geology symposium, if I leave your sister alone."

And so it starts, one of the sweetest romance of this year. Colin and Minerva is absolutely banterlicious!

"I think you've more than made up for lost time now. In fact, I'm certain/>"I/>And/>"A
Emma Chase
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! It has everything I adore in a historical romance - witty dialogue, spirited, layered characters, sexy, sweet, meaningful love scenes!! Fabulous from page 1 until the end!!
Ingie
Written February 14, 2015

4.8 Stars - All My Love: giggling fun, sweet touching, adventurous and narrated in the very best way

I used my monthly Audible audiobook coupon for this high raited historical a while ago. ...And it was so well worth every coin. ~ Eleven hours narrated by Carolyn Morris in a simply fantastic way. It's no time for any review writing today so I will do this very short. (LoL!! ...you know me.)
 photo image.jpg1_zpsyygzc2zf.jpg
Fantastic Funny, Romantic, Memorable, Adorable MC's, Great Narrator, The Best...

If you just will listen to one single aume.)
2015
4.8
Duchess Nicole
FIVE stars! Intense, funny, sensual, passionate, and flat out wonderful!! I can't get this book out of my head.

It's taken me a bit to write this review. I just couldn't come up with what I wanted to say. Often, if I hear that a book is funny, that's all it is in my little head. A funny book. This book was funny, but SO MUCH MORE! It's as if the humor just added to the intimacy between Minerva and Lord Payne...they built their relationship on mutual snarkiness and slow growing affection. They ac
Carol
4.5 stars. Borrowed Library Audiobook.
Historical Romance.
Minerva and Colin's scandalous and sidesplitting travel adventures were simply too much listening fun for me -so cheeky, tender and absolutely hilarious. I LOVED these two.
This is the type of witty, tongue in cheek humor that I adore. Bravo!!!!
Thank you , Melanie - for such a great recommendation.
I am becoming a fan.
KatLynne
I can't believe I've had this book loaded on my Kindle for months, and I'm just now reading it! A Week To Be Wicked is the second installment in Tessa Dare’s Spindle Cove series and it’s such a deliciously fun read!

Minerva Highwood is considered by many to be the most unlikely girl to find love and marriage. Even her own mother constantly berates her and continually chisels away at her self esteem with her harsh remarks. You see, Minerva is different. She’s a scientist; a geologist who spends her days di
April (Aprilius Maximus)

*.) Once Upon A Winter's Eve ★★★

--------------------------------------------------

Just delightful.
Jo
“Yes,” he whispered in her ear. “I will push you, pull you, rattle you as I see fit. Because you’ve a sparkling wit lurking beneath that dull exterior. Because you can sing, but you don’t. Because you’ve a fiery passion inside you, and it needs release. Because you can keep walking. You just need someone to push you over that next horizon.”

An absolutely delightful, hilarious, sexy and romantic book!!

Minerva is seen as unusual. She loves studying rocks, and lots of times, whether she is sitting or walking

Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ by: Jo
Dear Colin,

GET IN THE MAN-DUNGEON.

Get in there right now. And don't you come out. You keep those shackles on!

I think it's safe to say that Colin was my favorite part of this book. He's cheeky. He's broken. He's a scoundrel. He's a flirt and a tease. And an incredible liar - some of the tales he spun were truly inspired. But what I liked the most about him was the way he helped Min to overcome her shyness. His dialogue was positively swoon worthy.

Minerva was awesome too! She is a smart/>GET
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
☆4.5 Stars☆

I think there are three words that describes this story:
Delightful, Adventurous and Surprising.

I was not expecting the story to be so adventurous. Usually with historicals you tend to know what will happen, but not with this one, there were enough twists and turns to keep me on the edge of my seat.

I loved Colin and Minerva. They are the cutest characters I've read in awhile. Their chemistry was perfect. I really liked how unusual the bespectacled Minerva was (I love intelligent
Bubu
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, perfect, hr
Suspend your disbelief, leave any attempt of realism outside and let yourself be sucked into the world of fairy tales. That's A Week to Be Wicked in a nutshell.

And, yet...isn't that why I fell in love with Romance books in the first place? Obviously, my tastes have changed over the years, but if I were to be asked which book comes closest to the fairy tales of my childhood, A Week to Be Wicked would be one of my choices.

I'm not a fan of road trip stories; there are usually too many sideshows going on. Add
Q&A with Tessa Dare: A Week To Be Wicked Discussion Thread 18 81 May 24, 2013 09:10AM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: Francine! 6 41 Aug 23, 2012 12:58AM
Fans of Eloisa Ja...: Congratulations to Tessa Dare! 3 34 Apr 07, 2012 06:58PM

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Suddenly You
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellence. Booklist magazine named her one of the “ne

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
“Oh no. Oh God. I couldn't possibly be so stupid."

"Don't limit yourself. You can be anything you wish.”
201 likes