Start by marking “Decorate” as Want to Read:
Decorate

Decorate

Whether you are designing a brand new home or simply updating one room's interior, Decorate is teeming with clever, creative and quirky advice from the world's best designers and architects. The likes of Jonathan Adler, Kelly Hoppen, Amy Neunsinger, Rita Konig, Amy Butler and Abigail Ahern reveal essential tools of the trade, from where to put your furniture to how to ...more
Published March 25th 2011 by Jacqui Small LLP

To ask other readers questions about Decorate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decorate

Start your review of Decorate
Jasmine
Solid book of basics with some good ideas, but not very many interesting ones. You have to plough through pages of "put a rug down!" and "maybe put your good china where it won't be broken" before you get to anything remotely useful.

Also, I wished they showcased more styles. Because I found a lot of those homes lovely and impeccably styled and really boring. So much white, so much Scandi, so modern.

It also showcases not that many apartments? Like it was the same few people’s apartments over and
Amber Weinberg
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice ideas, just wish there were more examples of styles other than Danish, modern and white.
Jamie Darby
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I are just about to buy our first home. I know what my style is, but I really don't have a clue when it comes to decorating. Cut to this book arriving at my front door via amazon. I spent over an hour one night going through the book page by page. I loved it (as I love the Decor8 blog that the author of this book started), and got some great decorating/paint ideas. I plan on referring to the book often in the next while as we try to decorate the rooms in our home. Also, it will ...more
Tisha
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's because I look at a lot of interior design and inspiration blogs, but there wasn't much in this book that I hadn't already seen elsewhere. I was really disappointed.
S
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the base knowledge provided here is sound. If you do not prefer the ‘modern, white, Scandi’ look in examples then I would say the challenge of the book is to take this base design knowledge & apply it to your style. Nowhere in here did it say to paint your walls white and decorate with antique rulers. A true design book is about knowing the rules and how to follow and when to break them. If you only need inspiration from photo images about how to decorate, I would suggest a book with ...more
Ligaya
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big, thick book with abundant photographs, floor plan sketches, instructional sidebars, and about a zillion quotations from notable design voices. There are lots of pretty interiors, of course, most all perfectly staged and totally devoid of human presence. So, many of these spaces don't really look lived in, I don't see evidence of pets much less children, or messy offices for those of us who work at home or have a side hustle or clutter-y hobby. I think many of the spaces are designers' homes. ...more
Dianna
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a crash course in interior design: outlining the basics, exploring examples and encouraging readers to expand beyond their comfort zones to make their spaces their own. I was inspired after reading it and started tackling rooms and projects that I had been stuck from finishing. The transcription of the electronic version was incorrect in many places, but that didn't take away from the message.
Leslie
This book definitely had a specific style of decorating which was not necessarily my forte. The style was more eclectic, Swedish, and a bit cluttered for me. However, there were some good basic design principles throughout (many that you can learn while reading decorating sites online).
Donna
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too skewed toward modern styled furniture and interiors, this book did not impress me. It seemed I had read or seen many of the decorating ideas elsewhere.
Meghan
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s ok- too many ideas and not presented clearly. Overwhelming amount of simple solutions that water down the unique or helpful tips.
April
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Showed a lot of different styles, which was nice. Good book, if a little basic.
Sue
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-garden
Beautiful photography but I didn't find too many ideas that I could personally use in my home. That's just personal taste though really.
Juliette
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic and I can't recommend it enough! A lot of thought went into it and you can tell. What I like best:

* Well-considered text. This is the first decorating book where I have actually been compelled to read every word; after reading every word, I'm also glad I did!

* Great layout of content. Chapters are thoughtfully and logically organized. The last chapter is like the cherry on top and even the resource guide was set up in a reader-friendly format...and yes, you actually want
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-decor, design, home, diy
I love Holly's blog Decor8 and I'm enjoying this book too. I was a bit overwhelmed when I first got it, I didn't know quite where to start; there's just so much to absorb and admire. Decorate is choke-ful of information, ideas and resources. It covers a range of style although it leans a little toward the country and vintage, shabby chic look.

I liked: the fountain of ideas and tips; the great photos and the use of visuals to explain concepts and ideas; the quotes on every facing page from

Anna
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of photographs and bites of decorator advice ranked this as my favorite decorating book: "Rather than concentrating on one trademark look or a particular design aesthetic, we have concentrated on ideas--more than one thousand of them--to provide fresh insight into how you can transform your home." One of interiors shown in the book included those of my favorite fabric designer, Amy Butler, who combines Modern Style and Floral so tastefully. I also liked the quirky colored glass and ceramics ...more
Michelle
Decorate is a compilation of advice, quotes and pictures from well known designers and bloggers. It has delicious glossy pages and is jam packed full of gorgeous pictures and quotes like this one from my main swoon Nate Berkus.

What I like most about this book is that it isn't just a book about beautifully styled and staged rooms but they seem to be actual lived in rooms. It also explains step by step how to achieve each look so you can re-create it in your own home. I especially love the pages
Rebecca
Anthropologie posted about this one, so, like a big nerd, I reserved it at the library. It's got some great photos (on the inside -- not sure why the cover photo is kinda lame) and quotes. I only flipped through because it's got a lot of other reserves. Liked: the bright colors; mirrors; flowers; mood boards/inspiration boards; the outdoor canopy on p. 113; mix & matched bedding. Disliked: wallpaper on the ceiling; any giant wallpaper patterns.

"Allow yourself the patience to know it will
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This review is for the e-book version that I checked out of the library. I don't know if the print version has the same problem, but the book was full of errors. It was constant. A single sentence could have two or three. If you want to read this book, I would get the print edition, which I really hope can't be as full of errors.

I was not too satisfied with the book even looking past the errors. While the book was full of pictures, they did not seem to be taken at many different homes. Many of
Kim
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: interiors, 2011
Better than average. Lots of good ideas and inspiration, a reasonable range of styles. The book did not seem too full of itself, or make ridiculous claims about how some 2k objet d'art is a 'must have' (the number of shelter mags and books that do this is astounding to me). Other things I liked: Lots of good ideas on how to get started, achievable ideas that don't have to cost a small fortune, and it doesn't try to claim any decorating 'rules' or obnoxious do/don't lists (which is refreshing). ...more
Donna
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, library
The text mentions developing your own style, but the examples are mostly modern or quirky interiors that seem too trendy and unachievable for the average person. It also feels slanted towards major, high-budget renovations.

Surface appeal takes priority over livability, most notably in the form of all-white schemes that don't seem practical for folks with pets or kids (or without a cleaning service). The pictures are pretty in that staged-for-a-magazine kind of way, but this is definitely not
Shannon
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-lifestyle
Fantastic book loaded with design ideas. The layout and sections are grouped around space size, style, rooms and extras with excellent photos. I particularly love the glimpse into real homes and the mix of vintage and modern pieces with personal art and items.
I find myself picking this book up again and again and use it as a source of inspiration for decorating and arranging my home. I enjoyed the design tips from professionals including Jonathan Adler, Kelly Wearstler and Nate Berkus. An
Rachel Nelson
Basically there were a few redeeming quotes and insights, but mostly the looks and suggestions were a bit too modern and edgy for my style. Ended up skimming most of it because I'd take one look at the picture and think "I really don't care why you did that because I never would!" There are better decor books out there, especially for the casual enthusiast, like The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well.
Lori Shafer
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every resource I have used says I have an eclectic decorating style. Decorate is perfect for me. Actually it is a good source for many type of decorators. Becker goes from clean and white to colorful and comfy. I found some cute things to try. The book is wonderfully laid out with lots of illustrations. She takes you step by step through decisions you might make decorating your home.

I received this book through the interlibrary loan program at my library.
Larisa Balosin
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. The pictures are great, it is well organized.
It has useful tips, but it does not offer complete recipes for decorating a room.
The book offers ideas, presenting many rooms and decorating styles, and encourages one to find what he really likes when it comes to decorating (starting from their passions and interests in day to day life).
All in all, I think is a great book.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call Number: 747 Becker H
Diana's rating: 5 stars

Give yourself an escape for an hour (or more) and sit down with this book and your favorite beverage. It's a feast for the eyes, and even if you're not trying to decorate anything right now, perhaps it will change the way you think about your spaces, and will inspire you down the road. Lots of unique and personal spaces where stylish people really live.
Katy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The intro was misleading. I thought I was going to get some ideas on design and decorating, but mostly they explained what other people did. I guess that's a way of getting ideas. But I liked some of it, but not seeing rooms decorated by someone who has more money than I ever will earn But, overall, it wasn't bad. I did enjoy it after I realized it wasn't what I expected.
Rachel
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of lovely pictures and tons of tips and ideas. There are sections on each room as well as key aspects of a variety of styles. There was an emphasis in finding your own style with lots of inspirational quotes. It did tend to be a bit on the modern and sleek side but it was helpful for getting a foundation for the decorating process (which is ongoing, like the book highlights).
« previous 1 3 next »
Wood Railing- A Smart Way to Beautify Homes 1 1 Jan 03, 2019 03:38PM

• Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves
  • Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want to Leave
  • Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • The Complete Book of Home Organization
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update  Show Your Home Some Love
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Lovable Livable Home: How to Add Beauty, Get Organized, and Make Your House Work for You
  • The Things That Matter
  • The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate & Live Well
  • The Curated Closet: A Simple System for Discovering Your Personal Style and Building Your Dream Wardrobe
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
  • The Hygge Life: Embracing the Nordic Art of Coziness Through Recipes, Entertaining, Decorating, Simple Rituals, and Family Traditions
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
Author of decor8blog.com and Wall Street Journal Best Seller, "Decorate" 1,000 Professional Ideas For Every Room In Your Home," published by Chronicle Books."