Start by marking “The Best Bike Ride Ever” as Want to Read:
The Best Bike Ride Ever

The Best Bike Ride Ever

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  144 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The perfect book for every first-time bike rider

Published June 14th 2012 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best Bike Ride Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Bike Ride Ever

Jordan
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I feel like these illustrators were going for the ominous, textured horror of an Edvard Munch painting. They didn't take the pulsating fear and dread as far as My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives, which is a shame.

A cute story, but... eh. Also, Bonnie O'Boy doesn't wear a helmet, which makes her a terrible role model, and an idiot.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Sara
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story demonstrates how kids often feel on a bicycle- invincible. The overall plot seemed a bit shallow, however.
Tasha
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All Bonnie has said for seven days is “I want a bike” so when she finally gets a bike on the eighth day, she just can’t wait to try it out. She can’t even wait to be shown how to use a bike, instead she just hops aboard and pedals off. There’s only one problem – she doesn’t know how to stop. She rode her bike over bridges and on top of elephants, between giraffe legs, to the top of the Statue of Liberty and the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately though, she did stop in the end, by falling ...more
Shannon
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Bonnie wants a bike, gets one, and goes on a grand adventure before she learns how to stop.

Great imagination, not great personal power - she says "I want a bike" and her parents make it happen for her. Her parents dictate her ability to ride - she doesn't listen to their suggestion for a lesson and then can't teach herself to stop - she needs them to teach her after she scrapes her knee. There's a little jab where the mom says "I love you" rather than "I told you so." - I left that part out for
Christine Turner
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

The perfect book for every first-time bike rider I want a bike! I want a bike! This is all Bonnie says for one full week, until her parents surprise her with . . . a bike! Then: Oh boy! Oh boy! Before she knows it, Bonnie is off on a wobbly course around the backyard that becomes an adventure of epic proportions. She bikes over mountains, under giraffes, up the Statue of Liberty, through the Grand Canyon, and past the Giant Cheese. There's only one thing Bonnie can't do on her bike . . . STOP!!!
Barbara
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Bonnie mounts a relentless verbal campaign to persuade her parents to buy her a bike. When they bow to her wishes, they warn her that she needs to know how to stop before starting to ride. Off she goes, through all sorts of weather, up and down, all across the country--it is a fantasy, after all--but she simply can't stop. Running over her brother's toy dump truck does the trick, stopping her long enough to get instruction in how to use the brakes. As she rides, Bonnie is hatching a plan for som ...more
Marianne
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I can still remember the day when I learned to ride my first bike and this colorful picture book captures that thrill and excitement in a most fantastic way! And is there anyone who hasn't scraped their knee at least once falling off their bike? It happens to Bonnie O'Boy, too. But Bonnie'a adventures, and the the care of her family, shine through in this book. The illustrations convey Bonnie's exuberance so delightfully! And the ending is just perfect!
Ina
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
This book has lovely, colorful, childlike illustrations that held the attention of my storytime audience. The story involves a somewhat spoiled little girl who, upon getting her first bike, takes off on a most adventurous bike ride because she doesn't know how to stop. The story is filled with fun and imagination as our young rider bikes over mountains, over elephants, trough a giraffe and even over the Statue of Liberty.
Kelli
Bonnie O'Boy said every day, "I want a bike! I want a bike! I want a bike!" When she finally gets one, she goes "all willy-nilly" before anyone can stop her, and the adventure begins. Written with funny prose, the story is not wholly unique, but the presentation is fresh. This would be a good read-aloud for preschoolers to early elementary, and introduces them to some sights around our country.
Elaine
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kelsey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Age: 4 - 7 years
Familiar Experience: learning to ride a bike

A simple learning experience from an over-anxious girl turns into an unstoppable adventure over and under tall and deep things across the world. A creative twist on a familiar experience.
Shelli
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Bonnie O'Boy wanted a bike so badly that she dreamed and nagged for a week straight for one. Her parents finally caved and purchased a bike. Now the challenging part, trying to give impatient, ready to go Miss O'Boy biking lessons.
Jillian
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tikka-s-books
I like the imagination aspect in it, where a backyard for a kid can be imagined as the world with some of its amazing features in it (Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, etc).
Donalyn
An imaginative story about, Bonnie, who takes off on her new bike before she learns how to stop.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Don't try that at home, kids!
Geni
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
imaginative
Keva
A great book about girl excited about riding a bike for the first time. Would make a great read aloud for preK to 2nd grade.
Brindi Michele
This is indeed the best bike ride ever. How cute is this book? Can't wait to use it for story time!
Miri
Ride ride ride!!
Jenn
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"One Ride around the backyard can mean a whole world of adventure..."
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny book.

Acrylic on canvas with india ink outlines added.
Mary
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Look closely, as all of the things Bonnie O'Boy rides past are actually in her front yard.
Kristi