Start by marking “When Dads Don't Grow Up” as Want to Read:
When Dads Don't Grow Up

When Dads Don't Grow Up

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  306 ratings  ·  67 reviews
An endearing celebration of dads who are young at heart

Just in time for Father's Day, this playful book follows four father-child pairs as they spend happy, silly times together, popping bubble wrap and watching cartoons and taking part in shoppingcart races. These are dads who aren't worried about looking goofy or getting their hair wet - dads who still remember what it
Published March 15th 2012 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about When Dads Don't Grow Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dads Don't Grow Up

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Mary
This is a fun book that shows dads in a humorous light without turning them into clueless, helpless dolts. While the title implies that the dads haven't grown up, the book really shows them as grownups who haven't lost their joie de vivre and are more than happy to share it with their kids. These dads are more like Phil Dunphy from Modern Family and less like Raymond Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond. These dads relish in spending time with their kids. Like the dads in the book, this book is f ...more
Melissa
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I checked this one out of the library specifically for my hubby to be able to read to our son, as he is definitely one of these dads who is still a kid at heart! This charming book followed four different dads with their children (two with girls and two with boys, and may I point out their diverse ethnicities as well!) and showed how much fun they had together doing various things like playing outside, hunting closet monsters, watching cartoons together, etc. I especially loved the last two page ...more
ReadingWench
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story reminds me of a friend of mine. He IS the dad who sings crazy in the car, he is the dad who finds the monsters in the closet, and he is the dad who always tries everything. Being this type of dad will give his daughter the memories that she will share with her children and grandchildren long after he is gone.

I do think this book is good for a lower grade.

AR 3.1
Christina
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Rowan and I read this book on Father's Day. We saw many qualities evident in her daddy! What a lucky little girl to have a daddy that hasn't completely grown up so that she can enjoy time outside, read comics, and watch cartoons. And most importantly, a Daddy that will dispatch monsters in closets with extreme prejudice!
Ed
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book definitely resonates with me, since I am one of those Dads they are talking about. My 9 year-old kept nodding his head and saying "That's you" on just about every page. Lot's of fun, and entertaining illustrations. Great bedtime book.
Hadiqa Minwoo
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute cute and pleasing story I'd recommend to everyone.
Nick
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a delightful story for two reasons:
1) It's about the relationship between fathers and their children, and
2) It's about the positive side of a grownup still being able to have fun.

After reading this, any adult with children should think about his or her own behavior, and the life lessons you are really teaching. If your children see you really enjoying life, rather than doing what you have to in order to get by, that's an important thing.
Read something for fu
Dolly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is a wonderful story about fun dads who enjoy spending time with their children and are not afraid to unleash their inner child. These dads are willing to get dirty, act silly and play kids' games. I love that so many of the reviewers here felt some connection with the dads in this book - I think that Marjorie Parker really captures the essance of being a dad. It's a terrific story, especially appropriate for Father's Day reading, but great for anytime. We really enjoyed reading this story togeth ...more
Kelsey
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: family-dad, k-2nd
Age: K - 2nd grade

"This playful book follows four father-child pairs as they spend happy, silly times together, popping bubble wrap and watching cartoons and taking part in shoppingcart races. These are dads who aren't worried about looking goofy or getting their hair wet - dads who still remember what it's like to be little. Don't be fooled. They may look like grown-ups on the outside, But underneath they're just like you . . . Kids!" (Goodreads feature review)

Parker sho
Author/Illustrator: Marjorie Parker
Publisher: Dial
Date: March 15, 2012
Genre: nonfiction

Portrays a great, positive relationship with fathers. Also shows a positive side of growing up, showing children not to fear getting old. Great humor that both parents and children will love. Could use in the classroom allowing students to reflect upon their own behavior and how they act on a daily basis.
JoEllen Mccarthy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a mom more than a teacher. Although I am sure many "lucky" students would also relate, it really hit home on a personal level. Fun dads that "won't grow up" and those that love them will want to read this book. These dads love to mix up words in bedtime stories" is just one example from the many listed. Many readers will agree "their kids are lucky."
Becky B
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
An ode to fathers who are still very in touch with how to have fun and know how to be a kid at heart.

A mostly funny book with touches of sweetness that would be perfect for Father's Day. The illustrations are cartoonish and fit the mood of the book well, and the situations Parker thought to include are recognizable and will make readers smile.
Stephanie Martin
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book 19: I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is a very precious books about dads and how they interact with their children. I really liked it because it reminded me of my dad, he always did things with us when we were younger and seemed to enjoy himself. Brought back some memories. It is a very cute book.
Amanda Severance
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a daddy's girl, so this really hit home for me. A dad doesn't really need to grow up does he? Not when he is a kid at heart and isn't afraid to show it! That's what this book is all about.What a wonderful book for fathers to read with their kids. Absolutely loved it.
Reesha
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A heart-warming story about the different people in our lives; Dads that don't grow up. This story describes all the adorable and funny things that dads do with their kids. I have to admit, it was a fun read for me.
Peggy Archer
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book about dads--who don't want to grow up. They mix up the words in bedtime stories, and don't worry about matching clothes or getting their hair wet (if they still have any)... Kids will love the illustrations of dads doing all sorts of things with their kids.
Mary
What a wonderful story about dads! When dads still know how to have fun, so do their kids. The pictures in this book are heartwarming, and this book is one that would be great to share between children and their dads.
Kendra
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: single-parents
Silly fun story about the relationship between dad and child. Shows some diversity in the characters which is nice. Great bed time read for a dad to read to their child. Shows how dads can take on the role of "single parent" as well. Silly story line is sure to keep all childrens interest.
David
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I may just use this for father's day storytime.
Eme87
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Loved it! Perfect for Father's Day from any age kid.
Karen
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
When dads don't grow up, their kids are lucky -- that is the concept for this book. And it is true. And the illustrations are delightful.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wasn't sure about this book because the title doesn't necessarily have a positive connotation to me.

However, it's about playtime with dad and dads that don't take themselves too seriously.
Ms Threlkeld
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A celebration of dads who haven't forgotten what's it like to be a kid, the kind of dad I hope my husband will be.
Samantha
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A celebration of all the fun things that make dad great. Pictures illustrate the text very well and encourage storytelling skills in pre-readers. Perfect Father's Day storytime refresher.
Kendra
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, family
Really cute book about Dads with a lighter side, especially when it comes to their kids. Would make a great gift book for a kid-like dad.
Murph Eugene
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
PB17: This book took me back to my childhood remembering all the things my dad did with me as a child. I definitely recommend this for any parents or soon to be parents.
Donna Mork
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story about the different kinds of dads that don't grow up, they still play games, play in the snow, etc. They are just like kids, only bigger.
Caleb
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! I thought it did a great job of illustrating the things that involved and caring dads do for their children. A great tribute to fathers!
Andrea Labonte
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is really cute because the dads act like kids.
Rida
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Khunais
Recommended to Rida by: Hadiqa Minwoo
Awwwwww I love it! It makes me want to be a kid again. And have a dad like that it's such a good book1
=)
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Cheer Up Dad
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Splash!
  • Mitchell's License
  • Faster! Faster!
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • Melvin and the Boy
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • We Belong Together
  • It's Not Fair!
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • The Thankful Book