Start by marking “Women Explorers” as Want to Read:
Women Explorers

Women Explorers

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Meet ten inspiring women whose passions for exploration made them push the boundaries

Though most people have heard of explorers like Henry Hudson and Christopher Columbus, few have heard names like Nellie Cashman and Annie Smith Peck. Unfortunately, most of the brave women explorers have never made it into history books because they lived in times when it was taboo for w
48 pages
Published February 16th 2012 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Women Explorers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Explorers

Deborah Martinez
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
34 years old and I have never heard of any of these women Cummins profiles in this book. If you have young girls in your household, pick up this book at your local library and take the time to read it with them.

I would say the content is for 3-5th graders and is about ten women from around the world born before1900 who contributed to science, history, and geography.

If you are about telling your young daughters/ nieces/ or friends kids to be fearless and adventurous this book is for you! These wo
Emily
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Cummins briefly profiles ten amazing women you've probably never heard mentioned - I know I hadn't. Straightforwardly in the introduction, Ms. Cummins addresses this lack of visibility as "a sign of their times...The following ten women were born before 1900, at a time when proper ladies simply did not go gallivanting around the world to explore new territories or undiscovered places." However, because these women were brave enough to defy cultural norms and gender stereotypes, they were abl ...more
Rachel
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
What person comes to mind when you think of world famous explorers? Ernest Shackleton? Christopher Columbus? Jacques Cartier? How many of you actually thought of a woman when considering famous world explorers? My guess is that all but a small percentage of us would have named a man. But that is not because there were no female explorers, and with her book of the same name, Julie Cummins is working to bring these brave Women Explorers into our collective consciousness.

In her companion book toWom
Kim Hunt
Cummins, J., & Harness, C. l. (2012). Women explorers: perils, pistols, and petticoats. Dial Books.
Professional Review: Whitehurst, L. (2012). Women Explorers: Perils, Pistols, and Petticoats. School Library Journal, 58(3), 182.
Reference Type: Biography

Call Number: 910.92

Content Scope: For grades 3 through 6, this biography is about 10 women from around the world born before 1900 who contributed to science, geography, history, and cultural understanding when ladies where proper ladies did
Heidi
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found it rather telling that I had never heard of any of these women before reading this book. As the author points out in the introduction:

Why haven't we heard their names? The answer is: It's a sign of their times. The daring men who ventured into the great unknown are celebrated, but the many intrepid and brave women who faced the same kinds of challenges were saddled with gender barriers, societal disapproval, and second-class status: Females belonged at home!

I appreciate the author takin
Sharon Lawler
Profiles ten women explorers who overcame society's restictions concerning women as the proved they were just as adventurous as their better known male counterparts. The late 19th century and early 20th century has our heroines in all corners of the Earth, whether it be advocating for the the Aborigines (Daisy Bates), exploring the desert countries of the Middle East (Freya Stark), or climbing 22, 205 feet to the top of Mount Huascaran in Peru (Annie Smith Peck). Illustrations on every page, and ...more
Ashley Nichols
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reread
Great book about strong women. I down rated it for being European ethnocentric, but what can we expect from historical sources, really? It is something I would read to children with a few disclaimers about ppl discovering other ppl. It's an easy and fast read. I wonder why the women explorers who had excerpts in the back weren't leads. They seemed more interesting.
Karen Arendt
This book provides information on 10 women explorers born before 1900. Each chapter features one explorer, pointing out their background, where they explored, and difficulties faced on expeditions. Each chapter is only 2-3 pages. Informative and full of wow factor, this book would be just plain fun and interesting to read, but will also be good for nonfiction common core.
Andreia
This is exactly the type of book I enjoyed using when we homeschooled. It introduced people who weren't covered in textbooks and provide many people, places and things to do further study of. I enjoyed it. It was just the right length without being tedious.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I really enjoyed reading this book about 10 women explorers who lived at the end of the 19th century into the early 20th century. I hope children who read it will be motivated to explorer further information about these truly amazing women.
Kelly

Great content! I am not crazy about the illustrations and I wonder how culturally accurate they are, especially when one of the Aborigines playing the didgeridoo looks like he's eating a sausage.
Amy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was awesome! I had never heard of any these women before reading this book and that's what I loved about it! This book showcases adventurous, fearless women and would be a great for 4th-8th grade girls and could be a stepping off point for a biography research paper.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great collection of profiles of ten little-known intrepid female adventurers. Attractively designed and good illustrations by Cheryl Harness.
Harla
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Very informative and readable for school age and up. I plan to share this one during school visits.
Alex
Alice
Apr 08, 2012
Janet
Oct 23, 2014
Julie Cummins has milked cows and climbed silos, ridden subways and lived in a high-rise. She currently lives in New York City, where she has a spectacular view of the Empire State Building, and vacations in the country, where she enjoys the lake views.
More about Julie Cummins...