Start by marking “Meet Me at the Moon” as Want to Read:
Meet Me at the Moon

Meet Me at the Moon

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  612 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
A heartwarming love story between mother and child

When Mama Elephant must leave Little One to ask the skies for rain, the young elephant is worried. Who will care for Little One? Who will sing Mama's special songs? When will she return?

Mama is very reassuring - Little One will hear her song on the wind and feel her love in the warmth of the sun, and, after the rains come
Published March 29th 2012 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me at the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me at the Moon

Kathryn
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

First, I love the illustrations. They are adorable! I checked out this book based on the cover alone ;-) I especially love elephants, and Marino does a great job with these two.

The story itself I had mixed feelings about. On one hand, I love the message of love and the strong bond between the mother elephant and her little one. I think some of the ideas here could really help children whose parents travel or have to go away for a period of time as it shows how united the mother and chil
Agnė
3.5 out of 5

The best part about Meet Me at the Moon is Gianna Marino's textured and detailed illustrations colored with rich yet warm and soothing colors. The landscape-oriented full-bleed doublespreads effectively convey the vastness of the African plains and the immensity of the sky above them:

But although the story in this picturebook is sweet, it's not particularly interesting: a baby elephant, Little One, is anxious about her Mama leaving for a while; Mama offers all kinds of reassurances a
Dolly
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about separation and the love between a mother and child. This is particularly poignant for me as an active duty mom, since I have to leave our girls on a relatively frequent basis to go on missions. I am lucky that I haven't had to leave them for long periods so far, but even short separations can be difficult. I love that the mama elephant finds different ways throughout the day and night to remind her baby of her love. The narrative is simple and the illustrations are gor ...more
Lori
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This is Caroline's favorite bedtime book. We Love it!
Paul  Hankins
When a mother elephant must leave to go to the highest mountain to ask for rain, she offers reassurance to her "little one" by using the natural gifts of the earth to celebrate their love.

A really nice picture book for this spring with natural "ladders" to Katherine Applegate's THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN and Lynne Kelly Hoenig's upcoming title, CHAINED.

The paintings in the book are absolutely beautiful, bringing the whole of the book together as a very nice package for younger readers. The paintings
Jessica Harrison
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, reviewed
Review via Cracking the Cover

The land is dry, and Mama must leave Little One to ask the skies for rain. It’s important, but Little One is worried and doesn’t want Mam to go. “You will feel my love in everything around you,” Mama reassures. In the wind, Mama will sing. Her love will be in the warmth of the sun; it will twinkle in the brightest star. And she promises they will be reunited in the moon, “where the sky touches the earth,” after the rains come.

“Meet Me at the Moon” is lovely both in w
Barbara
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Because the land is dry, Mama tells Little One that she must leave him to ask the skies to send rain. Naturally, Little One is anxious about being separated from his mother, but she reassures him that he will be surrounded by her love even when she's away from him. If both of them stare up at the sky at night and find the brightest star of all, she tells him, they will be looking at the same star. After preparing him for her departure, Mama leaves her baby with the promise that they will meet ea ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mama must leave Little One behind to "climb the highest mountain to ask the skies for rain." Little One worries that he/she won't be able to hear, see, or feel loved by his/her Mama. Little One also worries that Mama won't be able to find him/her again. Mama reassures Little One through song, wisdom, and love.

The illustrations are bright, appear textured, and have just enough detail to capture the beauty of the land, sky, and creatures. The text has a rhythmic flow and is soothing to be read alo
Marcie
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
First time I read this I didn't like it at all. I did love the illustrations, but read it to my class because two librarians had shown it to me as their favorite from the bookfair. I compared it to Sara Weeks Without You which I love and explained how the animal science in Meet Me at the Moon didn't seem to ring true, which is why I liked Without You much better. After repeated reading I have grown to like Meet Me at the Moon, but it is still too sticky sweet for me.
Teresa
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really want to give this book 3.5 stars so I rounded it up to 4. I really, really liked it, but didn't completely love it. It has beautiful art and is a touching story about the love between a mother and baby elephant. I think most people will love this story, but it was just a bit too sappy for my tastes. That said, I do recommend this story. It's a perfect bedtime read.
Robin
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Excellent, beautiful illustrations. Loved the texture and colors and composition. Unfortuately, the plot is trite and sappy.
Elisabeth
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I probably would love this so much more if I haven't felt like I read something similar 50+ times before.
Kimberly
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Literature genre: Picturebook
Pre-K to 2

Meet Me at the Moon is gorgeously illustrated, but it’s greatest strength lies in the theme and writing. The book is meant for little ones and addresses the uncertainty and dread that children feel when a parent goes away.

Momma Elephant must leave the water hole and her baby behind as she walks to the top of the highest mountain to petition the skies for much needed rain. Little One is upset. Who will sing to me? How will I hear you? How will you get back?
Alicia Thompson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one fits into the "the kissing hand" type of genre. In other words, I always love you even when we're not together. It is one of those books that seems to be written to make parents sappy rather than to engage kids. Here's my grain of salt though: we don't deal with this idea much, I'm a mostly stay-at-home mom. If I had a kid who was separated from me for a prolonged time or at regular intervals, I'd give it another go. But I prefer The Kissing Hand over this one.
Melissa
A very sweet story about a mother's love and how you can be apart but still know that someone loves you. Really good illustrations. The story does lean a little to the sappy side so depending on the child's personality it may or may not engage them. I think if you are a family type where there is separation (whether work, military, or visitations) that it would be a good story as a reminder for children especially if the separation is a new thing.
Mary Madison
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This book was about a mom elephant that has to leave her baby elephant. She explains to him that she will be with him even if it is not in person. The mom tells the baby elephant to meet her back at the moon. I enjoyed this book. I might use it in my classroom to talk about the animals in Africa. It has lots of good illustrations to promote discussion with the children.
Cara Byrne
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A gentle picture book about a Mama elephant who has to leave her baby elephant "Little One" temporarily, but prior to leaving, she reminds Little One of all of the ways she will still be with him/her - whether in the wind or stars or the warmth of the sun. My daughter really loved the illustrations, and it's a sweet story.
Heather
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about a baby elephant meeting his mother
Priscilla
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful story and artistry! My 3 year old really loved this book! We have read it over and over!
Katrina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Might give to Sarah some day...
Abby Willaims
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230-b
This book was very sad at first and soon had a happier tone by the end. It would be good to read to young children that might be learning to read on their own. But, it can also be used for students that may have already mastered the basics of reading.
Allie Reitzell
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a mother who has to go away but ask the baby to trust that she will come back. It also has repetitive phrases.
Anne
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The land is dry and Mama elephant sets out to find rain, leaving her Little One behind. Little One gets worried, wondering when she will return. Mama reassures Little One, "You will feel my love in everything around you" ... from the sun, the wind, and in the brightest twinkling star. And Mama tells Little One that they will meet again at the moon, when it sets, where the sky touches the earth.

A stunningly illustrated book, "Meet Me at the Moon" is a heart-warming story of handling the separatio
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

An adorable story about the love of a mother and baby elephant. As the mother elephant is preparing to take a journey to go ask the sky for rain, she re-assures her baby elephant that she will come back to him and reminds him of all the things he can look for to be reminded of her love for him until she returns to him. This is a story that young kids will be able to relate to as they see the love the mother and baby have for each other, read about baby elephants unease for his mother le
Angela
Best for kids ages 2 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Narrative Skills

From cover:
"I love you like the sun oves the earth," said Mama. "When you feel the warmth of the sun, I will be loving you from where I am."
Little One is loved, but also worried. Mama must go away for a while and Little One needs reassurance. What if Little One can't hear Mama while she is gone? What if Little One can't see Mama? What if Mama can't find Little One again?
Mama has answers to all these
Angela Hutchinson
I fell in love with this book. This story is about a mama elephant and a baby elephant. The mama elephant has to leave so she can climb the highest mountain to ask the sky for rain. The baby elephant is afraid that she will forget about him and wants to know how he will know she is there with him. She tells him several things, then he asks how he will find her and she tells him to meet her at the moon when it touches the Earth. The journey begins and the baby elephant remembers everything mama e ...more
Aimee
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, read-kids
So in my defense, I'm really tired today. But yes, this made me tear up a little bit. I was a military brat. Between the ages of 3 and 6, I didn't see my dad very much. To this day, the easiest way to get me to cry happy tears is to show me a video of soldiers returning home to their kids. Meet Me at the Moon at the same effect on me. Plus it's about elephants. And I LOVE ELEPHANTS. (almost as much as bears.) The illustrations are goregeous too. I think every kid needs a "mommy loves you *this m ...more
Treasure
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A picture book about a mama elephant reassuring her Little One about how much she loves them, adults and children both will appreciate the sweet story and gorgeous pictures. Mama must go to the mountains to ask the sky for some much needed rain, and Little One is left behind on the African savannah to wait for her. With colorful, two page spread illustrations of African animals and gorgeous African scenes, this book makes an excellent story time or lapsit book. The solid binding and thick pages ...more
Rosa Cline
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
This book would be a very nice book for a parent that will have to leave their child for a while (traveling, in the military or even if the parent is critically ill) This book lets "Little One" a baby elephant know that when his Momma has to leave to go find water due to the dessert being so dry that he can still know she's with him. By looking at the same stars, feeling the wind knowing her love is carried on the wind etc. When he gets to missing her he remembers all the things she told him to ...more
Elisabeth
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My co-worker's 3 year old is currently infatuated with this book. She lent it to me because she knows I'm a picture book fan. (Don't worry: he's getting it back the same day and won't even know it was gone!) The art is gorgeous and kids will love pointing out their favorite animals. I liked the story ok. I think this might work well for kids dealing with separation anxiety. I'm not sure I understand why the mother elephant had to go off by herself and leave her baby. Couldn't another elephant ha ...more
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hooooooo!
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Look! A Book!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • The Perfect Present
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • My No No No Day
  • A Particular Cow
  • Little Pink Pup
Gianna Marino was born in San Francisco and spent her early years galloping horses through Golden Gate Park. Her explorations expanded after graduating from high school and in order to afford her many journeys, Gianna had several jobs at once: apprenticing a muralist, a jewelry designer, a product designer and driving horse carriages through the park. Gianna explored many corners of the world, fro ...more

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • A Burnt-Out Case
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99