Jump to ratings and reviews

Frog and Fly

Six slurpy stories, two comical combatants, and one laugh-out-loud picture book

Frog and Fly are constant companions. There is only one problem . . . Frog thinks Fly is delicious! This leads to a never-ending battle of wits with laugh-out- loud consequences. Told in six short comic stripstyle chapters, Frog and Fly will delight kids and leave them begging for yet another slurpy story.

40 pages, Hardcover

1 book3 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 96 reviews
Profile Image for Melki.
5,575 reviews2,308 followers
March 24, 2018
I laughed out loud at this one! Warning - these two are NOT pals, and things do not end well for the fly . . . though he does get his revenge in the end. (Or maybe it's a sibling getting vengeance. It's kind of hard to tell flies apart.)

SLURP!
Profile Image for Logan.
9 reviews1 follower
January 4, 2016
This is by far one of my favorite books, it's a laugh from the first page to the last page.
380 reviews1 follower
January 13, 2019
The Frog and Fly are the main characters in this story. In five stories the Frog eats the Fly. The last story is the revenge of the Fly.
In diverse context, they have the similar pattern: They communicate with each other, and Frog mainly eat Fly. Texts on each page are simple and recursive so children, the targeted audience, can predict what will occur on the next page. However, I prefer reading stories that have a lesson or focus on a specific topic. This book is too simple, so it would be fit for 'fun' reading. The illustrations are mediocre.
Profile Image for Suzanne Lorraine Kunz Williams.
1,783 reviews7 followers
January 29, 2021
There are so many books that we can read to children and that they want to read to themselves that I don't know that they need book that focuses on animals eating each other. That said this book might be good when learning about the predictor/prey cycle and also might be good when teaching children that there are dangers we need to be aware of in life.
Profile Image for ColumbusReads.
400 reviews59 followers
May 29, 2017
This book received elite placement on top of the library shelf. Typically users like myself will select those books if rushed for time and just need to find something for the little one to read. Those are not always the best books as in this case. These six little dtories were rather ho-hum. Sigh
47 reviews
September 9, 2018
Comparing two typical things, frogs and flies. Told in six short comic strip style chapters that shows different scenes about the frog and the fly that will have children laughing. This is a good book for counting because it counts the 6 scenes at the top of the page.
4 reviews
July 5, 2017
This book is geared towards beginner readers. It was really too simple for my daughter, but it's funny enough she wanted to read it over and over again.
Profile Image for Donna Mork.
1,770 reviews6 followers
September 16, 2017
Cute story but not one I would read to little kids...the main character gets eaten in the end. Kind of sad.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
3,424 reviews44 followers
February 12, 2018
Supposedly Frog and Fly are friends but in all six of these stories Frog eats fly. It came off as a little twisted and macabre. Not usable for my story time and not recommended.
Profile Image for Kathryn Dykes.
33 reviews
November 22, 2015
Plot Summary & Personal Response: Gasp! Frog just tricked Fly into being his supper…again! Naive Fly just doesn’t understand that Frog’s only intentions are to devour the poor little guy. No worries though, Frog is soon on the flip side when Bear enters the picture! These quirky characters are brought to life through the use of onomatopoeias, which make this book a fun and easy read-along for young children. Jeff Mack skillfully pieces together six laughable short stories in a comic strip fashion, allowing for children to fill in the blanks between page breaks. Children and adults alike are sure to be tickled silly by Frog and Fly.

Literary Merit & Genre: It is clear to see why Frog and Fly has been added to the Baker’s Dozen list, this book supports concepts of print and language development for young children who are in the first stages of reading. Frog and Fly’s comic strip format flows top to bottom, left to right, allowing for directionality and other concepts of print to be easily taught and recognized. The word choice is light and simple, making it almost effortless for young children, such as preschoolers, to understand and build upon their vocabulary. Frog and Fly is no doubt a fictional picture book, perfect for engagement and interaction within a classroom or at home. Jeff Mack’s design appeals towards a young audience by using simple illustrations and words; carefully constructed not to clutter the pages which can be overwhelming and distracting to preschoolers. Not only does the simple artistry maintain the reader’s attention, but also allows room for children to expand upon their own imagination.

Reader’s Response/ Classroom Connections: There are many connections and activities that can be tailored around Frog and Fly, making it easy to incorporate into any preschool classroom. The teacher can actively involve the children with this storybook through the use of puppets. The story-line is simple, therefore allows children to easily recreate and retell the story. In doing so, children begin to elaborate on their social and oral communication skills. Teachers could also take a class field trip to a local pond, allowing for children to observe the environment and search for frogs, tadpoles, and flies as another educational activity. Preschoolers are naturally curious, making exploring their surrounding much more exciting and meaningful when relating it to a book they just read.
Profile Image for Katie Fitzgerald.
Author 4 books192 followers
December 19, 2016
In each of the six short episodes that make up Frog and Fly ,a frog meets a fly and greets him in a friendly way. Nearly every time, the frog then outsmarts the fly and ends up swallowing him. The last time, however, the tables are turned, and the fly gets the last word.

There are a lot of subtle things that make this a wonderful easy reader for very new readers. The pages are large, as are the illustrations and text. The pictures are clear and bright, and the speech bubbles make the text seem dynamic, inviting, and fun. Though the punchline of each short episode is basically the same, the author arrives at it in a different way each time. This means that even when kids are expecting the laugh, they get caught by surprise and laugh even harder.

Though the publisher has not assigned this book a level, I think it is comparable to the My First I Can Read books. The words are very basic, and many of them are repeated from story to story. There are only a couple of words that might be tricky if a reader hasn’t seen them before, and those can be sounded out without any difficulty.

I have only one complaint, and it happens on the third page of the story. After the fly says, “Nice to meet you,” the frog replies, “Nice to eet you?” This is a set-up for the inevitable eating of the fly that happens on the next page, but “eet” is not a word, and I could imagine a new reader being confused by that. I was a bit thrown off myself at first, until I realized the story’s gimmick. The frog is pretending to misunderstand the fly so that, on the next page, he can say, “”Nice to eat you.” I think most kids will get the joke, and laugh, and move right on through the book, but it just struck me as an odd thing to do, especially so early in the book. The first story is the weakest for that reason. The others, thankfully, are spot on.

This book is a great alternative to all those mushy friendship stories that are so popular in easy readers. I think boys, especially, will relate to the somewhat morbid sense of humor, and will read the book again and again to revisit the funny moments. The most obvious read-alike for this book would be any of the titles in Tedd Arnold’s Fly Guy series. I think the give and take between the two main characters is also reminiscent of Elephant and Piggie and George and Martha, but with a welcome twist.
Profile Image for Joella.
938 reviews40 followers
May 24, 2012
These six stories about a frog and a fly (though not the same fly…the fly has a tendency to get eaten) are quite amusing! In the first story the fly says “hi” to the frog. The frog responds by saying “nice to eet you?” The fly tries to correct him with “No. Nice to meet you.” Then the frog eats the fly and thinks, “No. Nice to eat you!” And thus ends the first story of frog and fly. And yes, each story has the frog “slurping” away trying to eat flies.

These are short stories, with only a few words or more. They are simple words (like frog or fly) and will be easy for early readers to read on their own; however, the way that the stories are pulled together they aren’t just easy to read they are funny! These stories will be read again and again. And when the younger readers find out why their older sibling is laughing, there will be requests to have the book read to them also. I love how the frog (almost) always gets the upper hand over the fly. The way these are put together are just brilliant! Oh wait, I think I already said that…5 stars!
Profile Image for Tasha.
4,115 reviews102 followers
April 10, 2012
Six very short stories about a frog and a fly are told here. Done in comic panels, the stories are all simple and quite funny. In each story, the frog meets a fly and ends up not really making friends but instead making lunch. Each story is slightly different and filled with little puns. The frog manages to cleverly lure the fly closer by talking with it, but eventually just slurps that fly right up. The arc of the first two stories is very similar. The third brings in ketchup and a burger. The fourth has different animals shooing the fly away from them, until the frog welcomes the fly closer. The fifth story has races between the frog and fly that the fly wins over and over again, until the final one. The sixth story has the frog get his comeuppance much to the glee of the fly. Slurp!

Read the rest of my review on my blog, Waking Brain Cells.
Profile Image for Barbara.
12.9k reviews266 followers
April 23, 2012
These six very short stories told in simple text and through multi-media illustrations follow the adventures of a very hungry frog and a fly--or a series of flies--that flits nearby. Each time the fly greets the frog, it ends up becoming a savory snack for the amphibian. But on one dark night, the frog meets its match as the fly hops onto a large, furry critter much larger than the frog. While the end of each story is predictable, beginning readers are likely to enjoy reading this title and applauding when the frog gets its comeuppance. They'll also giggle at the large, nimble pink tongue that the frog uses so skillfully. The large panels resemble those found in comic books, surely adding to the title's appeal.
Profile Image for Erin Reilly-Sanders.
1,009 reviews22 followers
July 13, 2012
I totally love this book! I hope the Geisel Award committee has their eyes on Frog and Fly because it is fun, funny, and really great as an easy reader book. The words are repetitive and simple but still manage to build with the illustrations to make a great six-part story that will have kids and adults laughing. The illustrations are simple, cartoony, and likable but don't have the same sense of expression that Mo Willem's does in the Elephant and Piggie books where the pictures really begin to drive the story. I do like the change in background color for each story/chapter and the format of the book with big pages despite the abbreviated text is quite great.
Profile Image for The Library Lady.
3,550 reviews509 followers
December 20, 2012
The summary makes it seem as if "Fly" is one character and this is akin to, say, Frog and Toad Are Friends. Nope,nope, nope.

Frog IS Frog, but "Fly" is a series of flies who, chapter by chapter, get eaten by Frog. However, it may be a Frog eats Fly world, but Frog has his own place on the food chain for a perfect ending.

This is being classed as a picture book, but it's more of a beginning reader with minimal text that often repeats, and the humor is more kindergarten and up than toddler/preschooler. Funny and clever.
March 15, 2014
Lexile Level: BR

Pages: 42 pgs

Summary: Frog loves fly...to eat that is. This comic book style picture book has six short stories about frog and his pursuit to eat fly.

Recommendations or Comments: It is a cute book. The story line progresses with each chapter. Talking with a child on what will happen next will lengthen this book of few words. I am a little confused if Mack is portraying the same fly over and over or if it is a new fly each chapter. I hope for the latter. This book reminds me of several other award books with a twist at the end so I only think it deserves three instead of four stars.

Stars: 3 of 5

Reviewed By:​ Emily K.

Profile Image for Michelle.
881 reviews6 followers
February 11, 2015
This is another brilliant contribution to the genre of "Grand Guignol for The Preschool Set." Yes, little kids love to be scared and grossed out, and yes, it's OK to let them indulge now and then. Not in adult horror, mind you (the story of the first grader whose mother let him watch "Chuckie" is one that will live with me forever. Two words to people who might think they should show scary movies to kids: Just Don't.) But this book, with its innocent-looking cover and clever dialogue, is a subtly subversive comic for clever kids.

Take it home to your little one and be prepared for wild giggles.
Profile Image for Carol.
1,747 reviews15 followers
May 7, 2012
Frog and Fly have such an interesting relationship. Or should I say Frog and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly and Fly have an interesting relationship. Each of the "Six Slurpy Stories" is told in a simple comic book format. Frog and a Fly encounter each other in various situations each ending in the same unfortunate way. Or do they? In the sixth and final chapter, Frog tries slurping something even he can't handle. Fans of Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books will laugh even harder when they read any of Jeff Mack's books which also include the Hippo and Rabbit Stories.
Profile Image for Kend.
1,249 reviews67 followers
July 22, 2016
Two words: SOUND EFFECTS. You have to be okay making them if you want the jokes in this book to land correctly. Big slurps, dramatic gestures, the lot. No skimping on sound effects! If you're willing to put in the effort, this is a great book to use as a transition from "activity time" to "sitting and paying attention time." If that makes sense. (I'm writing this on a Friday afternoon, so, my apologies.) The illustrations are minimalist and cartoonish in nature, but that plays to your favor if you're willing to make yourself a bit larger-than-life while reading the book.
Profile Image for Heather Ligman.
196 reviews3 followers
February 28, 2013
In all honesty, my review is probably higher than it should be. Not many books make me literally laugh out loud. But this book does. Plus, I have a thing for frogs. This is just a funny book to read. It has 6 short, very easy to read chapters. There really is no quality writing here. Over and over the frog eats the fly. Until the last chapter. Could be used as a prediction book. But would mostly be used as an individual enjoyment reading book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 96 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.