Start by marking “Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation” as Want to Read:
Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation

Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation

In the bright buzzing room...it is time to power down.

For parents and children alike, here is a modern bedtime story about bidding our gadgets goodnight. Don't worry, though. They'll be waiting for us, fully charged, in the morning.
Published October 27th 2011 by Blue Rider Press

Start your review of Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation
Stephen
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I’m going to keep this short and sweet...just like this free little online book.

I thought it was terrific but you can see for yourself. Simply Click it** and enjoy...and hope to all the marketing gods that Samuel L. Jackson is available for another audio narration gig.

A few minutes of happy

**NOTE: "click it" in this context refers to both the link to the cute, clever story and to the “like” button below for the kindly, thoughtful goodreader who led you to it.

I mean c’mon…fair is fair. I'll
Clumsy Storyteller
Buddy reading with my 6 year old niece! :D

Goodnight nooks
and digital books

Goodnight Eminem "Although She doesn't know who he is"
Goodnight facebook friend

and Glowing screens

Goodnight plugs
and power lights
That guide us to pee
in the darkness of night

Goodnight Buzzing
Goodnight beeps

Goodnight everybody
who should be asleep
Jon Nakapalau
Trying to unplug your family before bedtime? Then you will enjoy this book that points out how connected we are to devices that rob our time from our family...humorous yet truthful.
Manny
Damn! I wish I'd thought of it! Still, maybe adding my own verses will help me tear myself from my screen come bedtime:
Goodnight Goodreads, goodnight page.
Goodnight Harry Potter fans, all in a rage.
Goodnight conference paper I still need to write.
Goodnight Internet AND THAT'S GOODNIGHT!!
Riku Sayuj
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short and sweet book. It won't take more than 5 minutes and you will surely love it.

For more, see this brilliant review by Stephen

To read the book, visit here.

Formatting this took more time than reading the book and I am not counting this to my reading challenge for the year. But trust me when I say that I will remember this one!

So Click It - yes, that link above and read it. Also, as Stephen said, "click it" in this context refers to both the link to the cute, clever story and to the “like”
Nataliya
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Cute. Yeah, we do rely on new gadgets way too much. Yeah, we need to put them down from time to time. But now I feel like a hypocrite since I am reading the book and typing the review on my Mac with my iPhone next to me, and the only reason why I don't have an iPad is that I am a poor graduate student. In my defense my TV is an ancient life form from way before the HD era.

I liked the illustrations - they are what made the book good (in contrast to last year's Go the Fuck to Sleep, a similar
Nilesh Kashyap
Shelves: short-story
Goodnight iPad is parody of children's beloved bedtime book Goodnight moon. I don't wan't to write a lengthy review of such a short book, which will at most take 5 minutes. Read it here
Our life has changed a lot with all those gadgets surrounding us, and they are like "use me... use me.." So Goodnight iPad act as perfect update of Goodnight moon. Anyway it was just fun from the very first page(from License agreement)
What i found out is a video, it is complete book with narration, but it more fun
Adam
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Only takes about 5 minutes to read and is pretty darn funny. A bedtime story for the 21st Century. Plus its free.
Kat
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books, humor
Basic plot: Granny rabbit sees (and HEARS) all of the electronic devices around the house and pitches them out the window in an effort to get her distracted family to bed.

I thought this was pretty funny. I grinned through the whole thing and felt almost like I was watching a scene from my own household. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to chuck my hubby's phone through a window because he was texting at the dinner table. I loved the frustrated/overwhelmed expression on the
Kim
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A short, sweet book highlighting our dependence on technology and the usefulness of knowing when to put it down.

I say this as I write on a MacBook with an iPhone in my pocket and a Kindle sitting beside me :P
Lee
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. OMG did we laugh tonight reading this. Goodnight Moon has been a ned time favourite of my sons for ages. He is also a bit of a tech head and reading this tonight had us in stitches.
Ann Droyd, what a legend. Wondering if we'll finish with this each night now for the next 4 years :).
Ronyell
I never thought that I would see the day where there would actually be a parody book done on Margaret Wise Brown’s classic children’s book “Goodnight Moon.” Here, Ann Droyd gives us a parody book of the classic children’s book called “Goodnight iPad” which is “Goodnight Moon” for the current generation and wow, this book is absolutely hilarious!

Set up like the plot in “Goodnight Moon,” the characters in this book is a family of rabbits who are constantly seen playing with all kinds of
Sherry
Can I give this six stars? I'm partial to satire and parody, and this is terrific! "Goodnight iPad" follows the cadence, rhyme, and illustrated scene sequencing of the original "Goodnight Moon", by Margaret Wise Brown, closely. However, it makes serious fun of our growing addictions to bright, noisy, digital media, and the inherent adult frustration with digital media at bedtime. This book will hit a home run with parents of school-aged kids today. My kids, aged 5 and 11, thought it was ...more
Teresa
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Teresa by: Sue
I don't even have my own cell phone, and I've never joined Facebook, but I still thought this parody of "Goodnight Moon" (which I've loved for a long time) was great. The last page made the book for me.
Melissa
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I went to the bookstore a bit before catching the train home yesterday. I saw this book and I remembered that it was on my TBR list so I picked it up. :D

The book is pretty funny and also relevant to today. I was laughing at some points because the whole thing was pretty funny especially with the pictures. Especially when (view spoiler)
Kara Belden
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars from me and 25 from Delaney. This is one of our favorites. We read it nearly every night.

Me - "How many stars would you give this one?"
Delaney - "5! No, 15... No, 25!"
Me - "Wow! Why do you like it so much?"
Delaney - "Because making a big mess is so funny!"
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This parody of the children's classic Goodnight Moon - will be a hit with fans of Lane Smith's It's A Book. Lots of fun.
Keri Payton
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's time to go to sleep...but there are so many technological distractions.

I saw this when I was in a book store with my Mum. We read it then and there. The copy we read was a donated book and we were leaving - but I bought this book as soon as I could. I'm glad I did. It's wonderful.

It had been years and years since I'd read 'Goodnight Moon' and all of my (or rather, most likely my brother's) picture books are packed up in storage back in New Zealand. I wish they weren't because I am finding
Prashant
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A small book which opened my eyes to the extent to which we use technologies nowadays. Well, I do not have most of the gadgets mentioned in the book because of student life. But I can't imagine what kind of turn life will take when I take the job. Even now, just with a laptop and internet connection I have to consciously try very hard to make myself to turn off anything and go to sleep. Don't know what will happen when I will get my BB. Huh, I made it sound like it's mandatory to get a BB. ...more
Nancy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is so much fun to go back and read children’s books. The simplicity and beauty of the story and illustrations are a joy.

Goodnight iPad is a parody of the much beloved Goodnight Moon book. Those of us who have had to battle teens over shutting down their electronics and just reading a book will find the humor not only in the words, but also in the illustration. And if you look close, even the daddy is a bit troubled by having to give it all up for the evening.

A sweet fun book that you will
Christine
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Definitely meant for kids older than the usual "Goodnight Moon" crowd, but I think that even kids who don't remember a time before LCD HDTVs and who don't feel sad when they see the trashcan filled with newspapers as Dad sits in his chair reading his Nook can learn from this book. They probably won't see the humor, but they can still appreciate the value of unplugging for a little while. Everyone in their 20s NEEDS to read this book!
Sylvia
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Almost a 5. It only takes a few minutes to read but it's hilarious and the illustrations are good. The portrayal of societies' love and dependency of electronic media is so true! Love how "AnnDoid" wrote it!
Jeremy
By Ann Droyd. Kate said, "We already have that book. Wait...." Didn't notice (in the first reading) that all the houses had thrown out their electronics at the end. (The back of the book says that they're just charging. Not true, kids. They're in a heap outside.)
Megs ♥
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it

Very cute, short story with a good message. Nice book to read with the kids. Only took me 2 minutes to read, but the illustrations are pretty great.

Here it is for free: http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/good...
Franki Sibberson
I thought this was a fun one--adults will understand the humor. Might start great conversations with kids.
Evan Leach
A fun, high-tech parody of Goodnight Moon, one of my all-time favorites as a kid. Free at http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/good.... 3.5 stars.
Kevin Xu
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not sure, but I think the video of the book I just watched on Amazon is basically the whole book.

Also this book really shows how our society needs techology 24/7.
Kristen
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Very cute parody. “Hopelessly plugged in” is the perfect description for myself. Found it amusing that I re-read it 6 years to the day I originally read it.
SB
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cannot express enough how much I enjoy this book...for all the right reasons. My 4yo also loves it -- and loves pointing out all the techie things she recognizes and the rules we have for her. It's a great read/discussion for bedtime.

Recommend.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, but this is the truth of nowadays.
Children's Books: Technology/ IPad book 7 26 Dec 16, 2011 02:48PM

• Chicken Clicking
  • When Charlie McButton Lost Power
  • Tek: The Modern Cave Boy
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Nerdy Birdy Tweets
  • Dot.
  • You're Missing It!
  • Mixed: A Colorful Story
  • Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • Doug Unplugged
  • Hiccups For Elephant (level 2)
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • I Hate Everyone
  • Hair Love
  • The Technology Tail: A Digital Footprint Story: 3 (Communicate W/Confidence) (Communicate with Confidence)
  • Waiting
  • Giraffe Problems
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
ANN DROYD is the author of Goodnight iPad, and is also the pseudonym for David Milgrim, an IRA/CBC Children’s Choice winner who has written and illustrated more than twenty-five picture books for young readers, as well as Siri & Me. Milgrim, who studied graphic design at Parsons, lives with his family in Massachusetts.