Start by marking “Uma Mulher em Fuga” as Want to Read:
Uma Mulher em Fuga

Uma Mulher em Fuga

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Ela tinha uma vida, um marido, um lar.
O que a fez abandonar o seu mundo?

Edith Lutz, Agnes Morales, ou Agnes McBride... da Escócia, de Nova Iorque, da América do Sul, ou de Londres... mulher de um académico, dactilógrafa, rececionista, ou governanta... passou grande parte da vida a reinventar-se num esforço para evitar o passado.

Com uma nova identidade e uma nova imagem, Ed
Paperback, Large Print, 320 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Porto Editora (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Uma Mulher em Fuga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uma Mulher em Fuga

Tiffani Long
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Pull up a chair, this may take awhile (and there will be spoilers)...

If you are not currently on nerve medication, it may be a good idea to call for a prescription before reading this book.

While browsing through a bargain bin of books, I was immediately intrigued by both the cover and the synopsis on the back of "A Lost Wife's Tale", so I bought it.

I began reading with hopeful anticipation of what this "lost wife's tale" would be and I was instantly drawn in to the story. The writing at times w
Lynn
A quite effective effort for a debut novel! I liked the characterization of the two main characters, which was quite mysterious with many unanswered questions. Quite ironic that just as you believe you have hidden your past it can make it's way into your present world with a real punch! I wanted life to be better for Edith, though I was a bit wary of her seeming lack of maternal instinct, though she was only hired as a housekeeper, after all, not a nanny! This was well written with well-defined ...more
Sónia
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mesmo tendo lido opiniões menos positivas sobre este livro, decidi lê-lo. Passadas umas páginas, pensei nessas opiniões e em quão certas estavam as pessoas que as tinham dado. Isto porque o início da estória é demasiado confuso. Muitos nomes para uma personagem, muitas referências a diversos locais e uma escrita muito pouco atractiva. Estive mesmo para desistir, mas ainda bem que não o fiz.

Depois de lido, cheguei à conclusão de que o cerne da estória está na sua segunda metade. Um discurso meno
Denise
I picked this book up for a bargain price of $2 brand new, it was small and thought it would just fill the time between books. The first couple of pages certainly didn't grab my attention but such a small book can't be given up on. By the end of it though, I loved it. THis book was fab, it kept me guessing all the way through. A brilliant debut book for a new author, well done.
Shannan
May 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was a muddled mess. Abrupt plot changes, unsympathetic and unlikeable protagonist, unrealistic leaps of logic, topped off with the worst ending I have read in a long time. Definitely would not recommend.
Rhonda
Jun 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The language was terrible. The author goes on and on about little details that I could care less about and the ending is severely lacking.
Margarida Cruz
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Marion McGilvary estreia-se como escritora com um livro que nos retrata o drama vivido por Agnes, uma mulher assombrada pelos acontecimentos do passado.

Creio que qualquer leitor que olhe para a capa deste livro e leia o título sentir-se-á irremediavelmen te tentado a saber mais sobre esta dita Mulher em Fuga. Afinal, uma boa intriga, repleta de suspense, segredos arrebatadores e personagens perigosamente misteriosas são os elementos mais eficazes na conquista de leitores interessados. E este pri
Nadine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn’t like it

It is rare that I do not finish a book. But I really didn’t like the writing style. I disliked Edith. Couldn’t connect, couldn’t relate, couldn’t care what happened next. I just could not get into in, no matter how hard I tried. Sorry to be so harsh, because I know the author has worked hard to write this book, but I regret spending money on this...
Ilse
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
eerste boek dat ik lees van deze schrijfster. maar een veelbelovende achterflap.

maar daar is het dan ook mee gezegd, veelbelovend, wil hier dus zeggen dat het hard tegenvalt.

onrealistisch, personages en situaties zijn erg slordig uitgewerkt. pas de laatste pagina's begrijp je waar dit boek over gaat. maar dan moet je echt al door ploeteren om zo ver te geraken. een uitdaging dus
P.a.m.
I could not put this book down!
Bridget
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Kept my attention from the beginning wondering what secret would come to the surface next. Well written, heartbreaking story with bits of humor thrown in.
Ineke van Mackelenbergh
Supposedly suspenseful, the similes to a past life or other were not indicative and I found the narrative disjointed in style. By page 30 I was still not convinced there was going to be any intrigue related to the protagonist's past and lost interest. I am wrong, for sure, but the story nor writing style didn't do it for me.
Rhonda
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Good one...I kept trying to make this book take place in an earlier era, in my mind, but it takes place fairly recently.

This is one of those books that starts in the middle, only revealing bits of the past as you go along, but it is done superbly, always at the right time, just enough to keep the reader completely engrossed in the story.

We meet Edith Lutz, as she calls herself now, applying for a housekeeper job to a single father in New York City. It's clear she's living a lie, making up her
Peggy Parsons
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This contains more details than most of my reviews, but there is no spoiler alert. I questioned finishing the book because I did not like the main character, Agnes, as an adult or in flashbacks as a child. That dislike lasted for over half of the book. She lied constantly, did not like children, was promiscuous, and used the word "fuck" often. She wasn't a person I wanted to be around. UNTIL… she explained her past and received insightful feedback. Then her behavior and reactions were understand ...more
Denise
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although slow to start this story really fascinated me. While I wanted to see how it all turned out, it is a hard story to walk away from. It is one that has come to mind over and over today wondering what happened next in Edith's life. The main character, is Agnes McBride Morales who we first meet as Edith Lutz, is hiding. She has reinvented herself to take a job as housekeeper though hinting that she has been and could be much more. Marion McGilvary flips back and forth in time filling in the ...more
Suzi
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big secret of A Lost Wife's Tale was easy enough to discern early in the story, but McGilvary kept me turning the pages to find out how it all went down. Agnes/Edith is the only fully fleshed out character, and while she is sympathetic, an entire novel with only one realized character feels somewhat unsatisfying. The issue of rape culture that sits at heart of Agnes' decision to flee Scotland is one that would make for good book club or a feminism-focused literature class. The crux of her pr ...more
Lesa
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy Serpico
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how dark this book became, and I loved it for that - it unfolded like an onion from Tim Burton's garden. Edith's voice is biting, honest, frank, and so smart -- her constantly running interior monologue included gems like 'I was drinking white wine, so I had the chardonnay ring of confidence.' McGilvary adapted her original novel to set the American edition in New York, and her edits were exemplary. All in all I didn't want to put this down. Though it's a dense read, the psych ...more
Jenny
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got to page 96 and realised, life's too short! It's written well enough, though narrator, MC Edith (who's not really Edith) comes across as a pretentious smart 'A'. Childhood flashbacks in present tense felt wrong, as did character's Scottish syntax. And even if I could have got past all that - not to mention the over-use of metaphors and similies - the story is simply too boring to stick with any longer.

Thankfully I only paid $10 for this one. Stangely it was on sale less than a year after publ
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a little confusing a first because the author kept switching between the present and the past while introducing characters. I had trouble keeping past and present separate for a while. It's one of those stories where the main character is hiding from events in her past and through events unfolding in the present her past is revealed. It got pretty suspenseful toward the end and I couldn't put it down.
Pat
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about a middle-aged widow who takes a new name and invents a new history and background for herself then seeks work where she can leave her past behind. She finds a post as a live-in housekeeper for a newly divorced man. Eventually they fall in love and become lovers. Over time her stories begin to unravel and the reader learns about the past that she is running from---a past which is catching up with her.
Lexi
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself was very well written and for about 2/3 of the book I felt as though I could even relate a bit to the character, thinking how she was making it on her own,etc. then when I found out why she left her life, I stopped being able to identify with her and couldn't understand her reasoning in things. Regardless, I enjoyed the book and happily finished it.
Jenny Milligan
OK book. Not great as it can be confusing, going backwards in time then forwards again.. you keep reading thinking you'll get the full story of what happened during Agnes's childhood...Disappointing as no proper ending..It just leave you wondering what will happen next...BUT not wondering enough to want a sequel!!
Alan Hughes
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was a pleasant surprise. Picked, almost at random, from the library when in a hurry I held few hope for it. However, it prove to be an extremely well written book. Genuinely humourous and witty but also managing to keep a taut psychological drama running through its length. I won't give away any spoilers but well worth reading; it won't take long as it will keep you gripped.
Jennifer S. Brown
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a whim and I felt conflicted the entire time I was reading it. It was horribly overwritten and some of the mysteries were clear from the start, but I was so compelled by the main character and the story that I couldn't stop myself from continuing. It was surprisingly, wonderfully dark and never before has a last line stayed with me so long.
Amanda
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a weird book. I felt compelled to see what happened next and yet the main character is not exactly someone you find yourself cheering for. I think the book ended well in that it left you wondering if Edith/Agnes would have a happy ending. In real life the answer would probably be no so to leave off with some shred of hope for her was nice.
Ingrid
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I finished it , but only out of desperation (on a a plane with only Sky Mall as an alternative.) I found the writing clunky, and the main character thoroughly unlikeable. Not that you have to like all fictional characters, but between the novice storytelling and the unreflective and crabby main character, it was a slog.
Caryatid
A strange book. A strange heroine. Rather disjointed, like this review!. Nevertheless I thought it very readable, just rather abrupt at the end, and unnecessarily so. It's ok to have a final ending, to tie things up, literature with a capital L tends to lean towards enigmatic endings which, frankly, rather annoy me.
All in all, a good read but unfinished.
Babete
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pelo resumo parecia mais uma história de amor, mas afinal não tem nada de romance cor-de-rosa e a história desta mulher em fuga é bem real. Fiquei agradavelmente surpreendida, todo o enredo é muito interessante e o final fica na memória, a sua crueza até tem algo de poético!
Sarah S
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the greatest book ever written, and there was no real surprise to the reveal of the terrible secret. What made this book so wonderful was the narrator. She's a terrible, foul-mouthed, self-destructive, dishonest person, and I loved her. Maybe just because she swam.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • O Jogo da Verdade
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
  • Homeplace
  • A Daughter's Dream (The Charmed Amish Life #2)
  • The Embers

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Comfort of Strangers
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Endless Night
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Where She Went (If I Stay #2)
  • Lilac Bus
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater