Start by marking “Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)

Due or Die

(Library Lover's Mystery #2)

What is the original meaning of the word clue?*

Answering tricky reference questions like this one is more than enough excitement for library director Lindsey Norris. That is, until another murder is committed in her cozy hometown of Briar Creek, Connecticut, and the question of who did it must be answered before someone else is checked out—for good.

Carrie Rushton, the pres
Mass Market Paperback, 283 pages
Published March 6th 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Due or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Due or Die

Start your review of Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
James
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
After a good start with book 1 in the series, I was excited to see how the story set off... it's a fun series, and I will continue to read it. In this one, it's all about board elections, weather and the murder of the new president's husband. We know she didn't do it, but who did? Lindsey is back at it again. What's good about this setting is it takes place in a library, so you always feel warm and fuzzy reading the side stories. The people who work there with Lindsey are incredibly different. I ...more
Mark Baker
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, mystery
Carrie Rushton has just been elected president of the Friends of the Library. Even though Lindsay Norris isn't a member of the group since she's the head of the library itself, she is thrilled to be working with someone bringing fresh ideas and perspectives. However, after Carrie's first meeting in her new role, she returns home to find her husband shot to death. People are quick to jump to the conclusion that Carrie is guilty, but Lindsay is sure the woman is innocent. Will a winter storm comin ...more
Sara
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
While not quite as tight as the first book in the series I still found this pretty delightful. Lindsay Norris, the intrepid young director of the Briar Creek Library, is back giving snarky quips to nasty patrons, exchanging scorching glances with local boat captain and town heartthrob Sully, and once again helping to solve a mystery (really, really ham handedly) when the newly elected president of the Friends of the Library is accused of murdering her horrible husband.

To be honest the only thing
Christa
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this one was entertaining and fun. I really like the characters that McKinlay has created for this series, and of course, as a book lover, I couldn't ask for a better setting than a library. I really enjoyed the interaction between Lindsey, Beth, Nancy, Sully, and many of the other great characters. The storyline in this one caught my attention right away, and I was swept up completely in the story.

Right after Carrie is elected as the new head of The Friends of the Library, her unpleas
Peggy R
This is the second series by this author that I am binge reading so far this year. It has been on my TBR list for far too long and I am happy that I finally bumped it up to the to of the pile to read. Jenn McKinlay has a wonderful writing style. I find that she creates wonderful characters that continue to develop and grow as the series unfolds. She crafts them so that they are relatable to here readers which keeps me reading a series. Lindsey is one of those characters. She is smart, mature and ...more
Marion Hogervorst
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Being a librarian myself, I can relate to Lindsay and envy her job. But having read many cozy mysteries - and also many way worse than this one, I admit - I still give it 2 stars. When a mystery is not a mystery because you see events happen way before Jenn McKinlay wrote them, the fun in trying to solve the murder is gone. It was an enjoyable but predictable read. Nice for a few hours of mindless reading.
Natalia  R
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series has become one of my favourite cozy mystery series!looking forward to more books by this author.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is FANTASTIC! I love the characters and the setting and the plots and mysteries of the first two books in the series have been extremely enjoyable. There have been laugh out loud moments in both books and I love the developing relationships of some of the characters, which accounts for some of the most humorous moments. The "crafternoon club" is a fun element to the series as well. There is has been only one or two minor cusswords which I appreciate as someone who doesn't cuss. It's ...more
Janet Robel
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adorable story for cozy mystery fans. Lindsey Norris makes a great amateur sleuth. I love it when Heathcliff makes his appearance in the book. He'll make your heart melt. It's up to Lindsey to help find out who killed her friend's husband before her friend ends up in jail.

I love these type of cozies where it's a small-town setting, and a wonderful group of friends who get together and discuss books. These are delightful books.
Linda
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Another great series by Jenn McKinlay! I think I liked this book more than the first in the series. Lindsey is a likable character and I’m really liking how her relationship with Sully is progressing. The mystery was good and the story flowed nicely. I’m still cold from all the snow in the story.
mindful.librarian ☀️
I enjoyed it but I thought the constant riffs on one of the character's mental health status were a little much......I'll definitely continue with the series though since I loved the first one so much.
QNPoohBear
When Lindsey Norris is asked to sit in on the elections for the president of the Friends of the Library Committee, she has no idea what she's in for. Bill Stint, a wealthy elderly gentleman, has been president for a very long time and does not take it kindly when sweet nurse Carrie Rushton is unanimously elected. He blames Lindsey, as does Marjorie Bilson, a local woman who has been in love with Bill forever. Marjorie's antics leave Lindsey wondering whether Marjorie is a few pages short of a bo ...more
Barbara
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Cute cozy. Love the fact that the heroine that does not think and act as if she is better than professionals at investigating the murder. Yes, she does go off and question people; not always subtlety - often too forthright. But at least she tries to have a reason to talk to these people other than to question them; not at all like some cozy heroines who think they just have the right to walk into someone's home or business and question them.

I also like the supporting story of Lindsey's "fosteri
Kimberly Reads Books
LOVE this series!!!! I think I'm drawn to it because it's set in a library but I also just love the way the author brings in so much detail to the story. I like the character's back stories, their interactions with other characters, and the small town feel of the book.
Rebecca
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, the weather outside is frightful...and so is the murder of the newly-elected president of the Friends of the Library's husband. Lindsey knows that Carrie could not have done this, but the evidence is stacking up like a pile of unread books! Added to that, there's a nor'easter determined to cover the town in snow, and someone has deposited a puppy in the book drop of the library! Now Lindsey has to solve a murder, find a pup a home, and figure out who stole boxes of rare books, all while tr ...more
Betty
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last night I checked my library and found that I could borrow the books from the Library Lover series. I put a hold on a couple of the books and downloaded the 2nd volume of the series. I couldn't sleep, I read into the night and finished it this morning. It was good to learn about the background of the characters in this series. They were developed and the descriptions were good.
Lindsay North is work at the library for about a year now. She is starting to put her 'stamp' on the library. One emp
Mel
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a cold January in Connecticut, but the murderers are still doing their thing. Lindsey's library has a new board president, and she's married to a nasty deadbeat. When the deadbeat ends up shot, Lindsey decides to play detective.
Dear author: stop saying people 'manning' things. What does that even mean. Why do you constantly describe what people are wearing? An entire paragraph's worth! It's a waste of time, and looks like a filler. For christ's sake you're a woman, stop with the misogyny.
Bo
Susan
There were a lot of things to enjoy in this book, and despite one or two annoyances I would normally have given it three stars. But, the treatment of mental illness in this book meant that I cannot give more than two stars.

I did generally like Lindsey as a protagonist, as well as the others in the supporting cast. I can also say the book was a decent read, in a cozy mystery way (where I never expect exceptionally good writing but am content if it is OK overall). The winter setting was well-descr
Jessica Robbins
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs... ...more
Jackie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really fun read
Megan
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty sure all the books by Jenn Mckinlay are going to keep me on my reading goals for this year. Super quick reads, but fun and interesting, even if a little predictable. With grad school and a myriad of other projects, its nice to get lost in a quick cozy mystery.
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Lindsey Norris is back and there is a big shake up at the library when the president of the Friends of the Library group, Bill Sint, is ousted after serving for several years. He is replaced by Carrie Rushton and one of Bill’s supporters starts to take things a little too far, but would “Batty” Bilson commit murder? Carrie Rushton’s husband in found dead and all the evidence points at Carrie, but Lindsey knows she is innocent.

To make matters worse the murder investigation takes a backseat when a
KarenF
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, mystery, cozy
Jenn McKinlay is one of my favorite cozy authors. I love the Cupcake Bakery books and now this Library series is quickly becoming a favorite as well.

Lindsay Norris is a likeable protagonist and the secondary characters have enough quirks to be interesting but aren't kooky enough to be caricatures. I like how Lindsay knows what everyone in town likes to read and all the book references sprinkled throughout. Puppy Heathcliff makes an adorable addition to the cast (and didn't get forgotten about un
Savannah (Books by the Beach Reviews) Avery
This is the second book in the series that I read and I loved it! I actually loved this one a bit more than the other! The mystery was great, even though I had an idea who it was. I also loved the setting and the characters are awesome! I especially like the building love connection that has continued from the first book into this one. I recommend to anyone who loves mysteries or a love story.
Heidi Prockish
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
There is just something about rereading a favorite cozy series. It is so comforting!! If you haven't read this series yet, you should!!
Mary Ann
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lindsey has been at the library for a year and she is still getting used to riding her bike, especially in the cold weather. When the Friends have a vote to elect a new president, the old one becomes angry and she is asked to come and make sure all is fair. When the old president is ousted from his position, he is angry and blames her for the problem. The girl who has a serious crush on him starts attacking Lindsey and anyone else keeping him from being president and keeps demanding that he be p ...more
Dawn Michelle
I am so thankful that the narrator for this book was so lovely. She doesn't do ALL the voices that well, but she is a sight better than most of the narrators I have had to endure as of late.

I really like this book/series. I like the characters and the setting; I mean, a LIBRARY!! YAY!!! One of my most favorite places these days [besides Starbucks or Redhawk Coffee] is Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh. It is so soothing and wonderful and I love every second I am there. The librarians are awesome a
Kristin
This is a cozy mystery set in a northeastern town of modern day. Lindsay Norris, the newly hired library director of the small town, has her hands full with an associate who resents her being hired, a nor'easter that bears down on the town, two gentlemen interested in her, and gossipy townspeople who are very eager to manage her love life. Add to that the death of a local man whose demise casts guilt on Lindsay herself and puts her in danger from a whacky woman with a romantic crush on the dead ...more
nidah05 (SleepDreamWrite)
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I only read two books, I think this one is my favorite so far in the series. Also I love that cover.

While I like this one, it seemed the mystery wasn't as focused but it was still there.

And of course soon as I started reading, I was already halfway into the book. That's what I like about cozies, they're pretty quick reads. But what makes them good reads is the setting and of course the characters. Oh and the mystery sleuthing.

Also love that ending. Can't wait to read the next one.

Kathy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
2nd in this series and a pretty fast read. Lindsey finds herself trying to track down the killer of Carrie's husband, before the police decide that it was Carrie herself that did it. As Carrie was made the new president of Friends of the Library group, there are at least two disgruntled people to investigate. During this time period, the town also deals with a severe Blizzard which shuts off power and caves in roofs. When a puppy is found stuffed in the library drop box, Lindsey finds herself th ...more

• Bookmarked for Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • Murder is Binding (Booktown Mystery, #1)
  • Bookplate Special (Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Sentenced to Death (Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #3)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries #1)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #2)
  • Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library Mystery #2)
  • The Grim Reader (Bibliophile Mystery, #14)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • Writing All Wrongs (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #7)
  • Lethal Letters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #6)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
Jenn is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publisher's Weekly bestselling author of several mystery and romance series and will be debuting a stand alone romantic comedy in July 2020 entitled PARIS IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Library Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • A Likely Story (Library Lover's Mystery, #6)
  • Better Late Than Never (Library Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Death in the Stacks (Library Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • One for the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews

“Nancy pursed her lips. "Men are stupid." "Agreed!” 9 likes
“Not so fast,” Sully said. The entire station went quiet as everyone turned toward him. “Lindsey Norris, I like you, too. I like that you’re smart and funny and can remember what everyone in town likes to read. I like that you ride a ridiculous bike to work in terrible weather, and I like that your eyes change color with your moods, like the sea reflects the sky. I like that you adopted a puppy who needed you, and I like the way the wind tangles up your hair when you let it loose, and I do like it loose.” Lindsey” 1 likes