Start by marking “Captivated (Affliction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captivated (Affliction, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Captivated

(Affliction #1)

“I stood close to the edge looking down at what I thought was my death. Then, I somehow ignored the water and only saw him. He looked like a dark angel on a cloud of mist holding his arms out to me. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. Then I jumped.” Mindy

Mindy's new best friend, Markus Medina, witnesses Dean kill two people behind a club. Mindy has a hard time believing
Paperback
Published June 10th 2011 by Eminent Books

Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
Wow loved...loved...LOVED this book! :)

I stumbled across this book on facebook and just the cover drew me in. (I'm a sucker when it comes to gorgeous book covers.)
I was lucky enough to be given the chance to read this book and review it and boy i wasn't disappointed. Not only is the cover fantastic but what lays inside is too.

I just couldn't put this book down it keeps you on your toes all the way through, your alway wondering whats going to happen next. So many twists and turns, not your avera
Reina
Jul 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nolibrary
Ugh!! I could not get into this book at all! I was sooo excited to read this book that I ordered it right away from amazon when I first discovered it here in goodreads. I was eager to read this book because the premise was interesting and I thought it would be a good story with a twist...but I was wrong. I had to force myself to finish this book. I was put off by the writing style first of all. And I kept on reading thinking the writing would get better, but noooo, not at all. I was so annoyed b ...more
Tiffany
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh wow! D! this book is STUNNING! I loved it! the characters are awesome! I LOVE DEAN! wow! WOW! I don't even know what to SAY about this book without spoilers..... I want to blurt it all out! and the ENDING! I was holding my breath for the last 20 or so pages! AHHHHH! I need book 2! NOW! STAT!
Rita
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE THIS BOOK!! I read approximately 4 paranormal young adult books a week on my Kindle. I devour books and always have. I picked up Captivated as another hopeful and loved it from the first page! Excellent character development, Excellent story line, Excellent adventure, and well written! I was hardbroken to find at the end that the next book in the series isn't due out til may. I wanted to keep reading! So if you love paranormal, with romance , strong characters and good fun storyli ...more
Jessica Galczynski
I had never heard of this book until I came across it on facebook. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover, but when it actually comes to books most of us do. The cover is what makes us pick it up in the first place. The cover of this book is mysterious, aside from the title and authors name, a beautiful face... which makes you want to find out what's awaiting you inside.

I was so curious to find out what this book was about that I got in contact with the author and asked to do a review
Loretta
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindy is starting a new school year.
Although it seems that her, and her best friend Dean have grown apart. Dean has changed. After the the death of his parents, he just don't talk to anyone.
There is a new boy in school this year. Sean. Who Mindy thinks is good looking. But, something about him is very standoffish to Mindy. What is it about Sean that has Dean always looking so angry now? What is up with the weird, strange things that are happening.
Which started when Sean came around. What is wit
Charlie Finn
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book in 3 hours, the start i was a little bit put off i felt like there was just loads of full stops and i found myself counting the words between the full stops and i also noticed 2 mistakes aswell but however when i got right into the story i soon forgot about them and was hooked! The whole time i kept thinking Dean was something else and was like :O when we found out what it was by the end of the book i just fell in love with him and wanted to slap Mindy by the end of the book so m ...more
Angela
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, vampires, paranormal
I was lucky enough to win a Kindle copy of this great read. Throughout the book I found myself guessing what was going on, some things obvious others quite hard. I found this read quite easy flowing and intriguing enough to keep me going back each night before bed, at some parts even speed reading to see what was at the end of the chapter.

The main character was easy to connect with, as well as her friends and class mates around her. With a story line that trails you along that slowly builds up t
Crystals Fire
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never cried during a book before. The ending broke my heart and made me want to jump in the book and help in any way that I could. It was something that caught me by surprise and left me wanting to get my hands on book 2 immediately! I felt a connection with all the characters. The story line was different and refreshing. The characters were real and lovable. The twists and turns had me on the edge of my reading chair. This is a must read! I'll be following Deb's future books for sure.
Liliana Castro
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello everyone! I'm new here! Anyways, I read the first 5 chapters of this book and it is AMAZING! The beginning is kind of slow, but once it hit the second chapter, I was hooked! She leaves you hanging making you want to read more. I can't wait to read the rest! I highly recommend this book!
Katrina
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mindy Keenan starts a new school year, realizing that life must go on without Dean Aiken in it. Since the death of his parents Dean is not the same person Mindy use to know, she decides to move on.

A new student has enrolled in her year; he is hot, mysterious, charming and very straight forward. Something about him draws Mindy in, she just can’t put her finger on it, something slightly off, but also she feels captivated by him, the way he looks at her, all she knows is that now she sees more of
Shane
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Itching for Books Review

I was worried the story wouldn't be as alluring as that cover but fortunately, it completely satisfied my taste. This book lives up exceedingly well to its title. Captivated is addictive, possessing, magnificent, and electrifying in every way possible. No amount of words in the English dictionary could possibly define how breathtaking it truly is.

Mindy's such an adorable character; she's bubbly, embodies a remarkable gift of being the last to figure things out, and evide
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
"I let out a huff and forced a smile. “You’re a vampire.”
I stated. “Then why haven’t I sucked your blood Lina?” He
whispered right before pressing his soft lips against mine.
Then he inched towards my neck and lingered his lips on
my pulse.

( I want to apologize now, this review is lacking alot compared to my other reviews, it was one of those books that honestly was hard to really write a review, without making it a spoiler review and I didnt want to give you guys any spoilers (: )

You know tha
Jessica Hansen
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want me a DEAN!!

I can whole heartily say that I absolutely, 100%, fell in love with this book, the characters and their world!
This will be a series that will grab a hold of you and won't let go until you've reached the end & are trying to sell your first born to get a copy of the next book!

A new school year has started for Mindy and she has come to terms with the fact that, her once best friend, Dean is no longer apart of her life. But when a new, extremely gorgeous, student by the name of
Darkfallen
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-n-reviewed
Ya know when you read a synopsis of a book and you think that it's going to be this great book, and then you read it and it kinda sucks? Well this is NOT that book.

This book completely lived up to my expectations. It was full of action in all the right places and there were plenty of heart melting moments to balance everything out. And then there was the ending, but I'll get back to that in a minute...

Mindy and Dean were childhood friends. That is until the night Dean comes home to find his pare
Nadège Richards
Captivated started out as what seemed to be my favorite read of August. The story-line was different and very intriguing. But as I continued to read, I noticed the lack of character in the writing, the choppy sentences. I kept waiting for it to change, but it never did. The protagonist started off so strong-willed to me, but as the story progressed, she just seemed like any other teenage drama queen. I have many pet peeves, but putting constant exclamation points at the end of sentences in the m ...more
Alishia
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Mindy and Dean used to be best friends...always there for each other...always making each other smile but then everything changed. The Dean Mindy knew disappeared, he became distant and reclusive and along with the loss of his radiant smile, Mindy lost his friendship.

Now, a few years later, Mindy has a new best friend, Markus. He is funny and kind and always there for Mindy. No-one could replace what she had with Dean but she is happy with her friends, Markus and Tanya.

Most of the time when Mind
Marsha
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
When I read the prologue for "Captivated," I thought this is going to be so good. Boy, was I wrong. The storyline had amazing potential but the mediocre writing, lack of sound characterization and a weak execution of the plot made this a difficult read for me at times.

At the age of 13 Mindy and her best friend Dean experienced a life changing event. After seeing a man whose arms were covered in blood leaving Dean's house, the two stumbled upon the dead bodies of Dean's father and mother. After t
 Bella Marie
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could be the next twilight(i would say harry potter but there are no warlocks or witches). It has everything:a forbidden love(Dean-Mindy), supernatural beings(vampires), a break up that will give you a heartache to last for ages,a killer line(like Edward's "ask me the most basic question:what do we eat???")(“I let out a huff and forced a smile. “You’re a vampire.”
I stated.
Dean tilted his chin up and smiled. “I have no fangs.”
He said through his teeth.
I examined the glistening white
Brandi Streeval
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this story is very good the book was very exciting and very interesting to read i look forward to reading other books by this Author, i am glad i got the chance to review this book, this book was never dull or boring, it was very very good, it was just the right speed not to fast not to slow, this book caught my interest from the very beginning until the very end, it was a very good read, i give this book 5 stars, i highly recommended this book to anyone who likes paranormal books, it is a must ...more
Brandi Streeval
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i received this book from the Author for review, this story is very good the book was very exciting and very interesting to read i look forward to reading other books by this Author, i am glad i got the chance to review this book, this book was never dull or boring, it was very very good, it was just the right speed not to fast not to slow, this book caught my interest from t...he very beginning until the very end, it was a very good read, i give this book 5 stars, i highly recommended this book ...more
Jodi Dolbel
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, couldn't put it down!!

However from a critique point of view, it was really badly edited. I have read review before when people comment on the editing and I have never noticed before. I would think, you obviously weren't into the story enough to even notice!

However, with this book I was totally into the story! Really loved it! But found myself reading over paragraphs and sentences because it was worded incorrectly and didn't make sense. I have noticed the odd spelling or grammica
Ashley Mayer
Captivated is the story of Mindy and Dean. They were childhood friends until Dean's parents are murdered and he turns his back on everyone. Now, a few years later Mindy is happy with her life and her best friends. Everything is fine until strange things start happening and they seem to involve Dean. With Dean back in the picture Mindy is having a hard time controlling her feelings.
This book was amazing! It was a great story. I didn't figure out what was going on with Dean until we are told. The
Paranormal Reads
I loved this book it was amazing. It has everything a good book should. It's exciting, thrilling, heart breaking, and funny. I loved the main characters Dean and Mindy. It does start of a little slow but it picks up quickly. Once I got into reading it I couldn't put it down. I can't wait until the next book. There is a huge cliff hanger at the end of the book and usually I don't like those but it adds to the book. I was left wanting more. I will for sure be picking up the next book.

5/5 stars
J.D. Nelson
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really spoke to me. It was just so compelling! I hated to put it down to go to work this morning, and I kept thinking about it all day. The one thing that made this book over-the-top awesome for me was the character Dean. He was so well-written, so sexy, so DELICIOUS! *sigh* I loved the pace of the story too. There never seemed to be any "filler" to pad the pages like you find in some other books. In fact, the only problem I can find with this book, is that I'm dying to know what happe ...more
The BookWhisperer
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This is an author not afraid to think outside he box and take a leap. Captivated will grab readers right from the Prologue, and not allow you a breath til the very end. The romance is hot, and the headache is palpable. Be ready to laugh and cry in this whirlwind story that will deny reads their simple happily ever after. The drastic conclusion left me in a uproar, and in despair for the characters of the intense read. I'm anxious to see just where D. Apodaca will take this story from here. Congr ...more
Erika
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ten out of ten!! i LOVE LOVE LOVE captivated!!! the ebook version from amazon is even better than the paperback i own. i guess there was more editing done to it which made it even better and i didn't think that was possible! ive read this book twice this month and had to buy a copy for my kindle so i can carry it around with me. this is the BEST vampire book ive read for young adults! i can't wait for Unattainable!
H'deel Batnij
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to H'deel by: Myself!
IT IS REALLY GOOD!!!......IT STANDS OUT FROM EVERYTHING I READ!!! 4 ONCE VAMPIRES R THE BAD PPL!! WHILE SLAYERS ARE THE PEACEMAKERS!!....AWESOME READ. I RLLY DID ENJOY THIS BOOK. IT PLAYED LIKE A MOVIE IN MY HEAD. AND EVERY EMOTION WAS STRONG. I WAS ON THE VERGE OF TEARS.....AFTER I READ IT N THOUGHT OF HOW DEAN IS NOW LONELY MY TEARS FELL!!!.....:'(......CAN'T WAIT 4 THE NEXT ONE!! I RECOMMEND PPL 2 READ IT!!
Lc
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know what to say. I really loved this book. It's hillarious and kept me on the edge of my seat. At times I was holding my breath! It was never dull and I reccomend it to everyone. The ending was one of the most interesting cliffhangers I've ever read EVER. It didn't cut through the story, but created another problem that you need to read the next book! I cannot wait for book 2! I'm officially hooked.
Cassandra
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with an ending that makes you feel like there is absolutely no way you can NOT read Book 2. I started reading it waiting in the doctors office for my appointment on my kindle phone app. Then, I continued to read it on the laptop when I got home...could not stop. Poor Mindy and Dean. I can't believe that happened at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Deans point of view (behind the scenes?) 2 14 Jan 18, 2012 02:08PM

• Awaken Me (Connected, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Tears of the Broken (Dark Secrets, #1.1)
  • Inherit
  • Savor (Warm Delicacy, #1)
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Heroes 'Til Curfew (Talent Chronicles, #2)
  • Soul Kissed (Moonstone Saga, #1)
  • Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life #1)
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Forsaken By Shadow (Mirus, #1.1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Blood of Anteros (Vampire Agápe, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
E.M. Jade is the author of Captivated, The Affliction Series and coming out with two new series, which includes Sleeping Darkness. She lives with three crazy kids and her Irish boyfriend, Ryan, that plays a guitar and accepts her randomness for what it is. She is a lover of visual arts who needs to be creative or she'll go insane! Loves Netflix binging and using her boyfriend as a pillow, cooking, ...more

Affliction (4 books)
  • Unattainable (An Affliction Novel #2)
  • Defiance (An Affliction Novel #3)
  • Determined (An Affliction Novel #4)
“I let out a huff and forced a smile. “You’re a vampire.”
I stated.
Dean tilted his chin up and smiled. “I have no fangs.”
He said through his teeth.
I examined the glistening white canines. They were
normal, just like mine. “You retract them when you don’t
need them.” I said.
Dean moved across the table and put his face up to
mine. His mouth was a torturous breath away from my
own. “Then why haven’t I sucked your blood Lina?” He
whispered right before pressing his soft lips against mine.
Then he inched towards my neck and lingered his lips on
my pulse. His soft breathing tickled my skin and triggered
a chill that shot up my spine. My blood jumped to a rush
and began to throb for him. If he were a vampire, I swear
I’d let him suck me. “Why aren’t I biting you right now?”
He whispered. It took everything I had in me not to melt
into the seat and land as a puddle on the ground.
-Mindy-”
17 likes
“My definition of gawking would be when you look at her, your heart starts slamming uncontrollably in your chest. So much that it scares you. And every other noise that surrounds you slowly fades away into absolute silence. You only hear the sounds she makes. And when she looks back at you, when her eyes meet yours, it's as if she is looking deep inside your soul. And she can see all of the hatred you're consumed in. Her eyes quench the thirst of your soul, gently soothing your damaged heart in the most alluring way... a way you could only dream of. Then those magical eyes start to look away. The time-freeze you were caught in starts to wear off. And fear takes over. You want to pull those eyes to yours again so that you could once again feel the fascinating sensations of happiness. Then, when she's out of your sight, you feel empty inside. Your heart is back to normal. Only this time, it's left with an aching worse than before. But you can never tell her. You can never be with her. You are alone in your pitiful existence.” 13 likes