Start by marking “The Astro Outlaw (Ballpark Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Astro Outlaw (Ballpark Mysteries, #4)

The Astro Outlaw

(Ballpark Mysteries #4)

Now batting clean-up-book #4 in a new early chapter book mystery series where each book is set in a different American ballpark!

Houston, we have a problem! Before a game at the Astros' ballpark, Mike and Kate get to meet astronaut commander Nick Rice at the nearby Houston Space Center. He's planning to display a very rare moonrock at an autographing event later. But just
Published February 28th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Astro Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Astro Outlaw

Start your review of The Astro Outlaw (Ballpark Mysteries, #4)
John
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, sports
This is exactly what my school library's collection needs. An early chapter book that includes mystery, sports, and history.
Travis
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid, read-aloud, baseball
Ballpark: Houston Astros

Mike and Kate help Commander Rice, from NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, track down a stolen moon rock. The mystery is decent but a few too many oddities drag it down. Why would the culprit stay in the ballpark with the moon rock? And the resolution was a little cheesy with hiding the moon rock, but even that played well with the "hidden ball" trick Mike witnesses and describes. Still, the NASA connection to Houston was nicely done, even including a mandatory
Matthew Kearney
Rocked

Did you find the moon rock? You be glad if you did do it for me. So did do it for me?!?
Linda
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good early chapter book to attract the attention of active minds. Heroes are the kids. These main characters show great ideas and skills as they solve the mystery .
Lori Calabrese
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mike Walsh and his cousin Kate Hopkins are back in book 4 of THE BALLPARK MYSTERIES, THE ASTRO OUTLAW. I'm a huge fan of this series because it incorporates sports, crime-solving, and facts young readers will eat up.

In THE ASTRO OUTLAW, it's spring break and Mike and Kate are in Houston, Texas. Not only do they get a VIP tour of NASA's Johnson Space Center, but they're also headed for an Astros' game. Commander Rice, an astronaut who gives them a tour of the Space Center will also be at the game
Ryan
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this kids book and even more importantly my kids loved it!

This is an exciting kids "who done it" mystery story and while there is a baseball theme it's not so strong as to turn off the non-baseball fans. The story flows nicely and the characters are fun. The illustrations are good as well.

I recommend this book to any young reader. I must now go out and buy book #2 "The Pinstripe Ghost" GO YANKEES!
Diane
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Commander Rice, former astronaut, is supposed to be throwing out the first pitch of the baseball game. But when he doesn't show up, Mike and Kate run to investigate. They find Commander Rice tied up in a closet and his brief missing. His brief case that contained an Apollo Moon Rock worth thousands of dollars. The cousins are on the case again!
Amy
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-sfic
I really love this series!

Author, David Kelly does an excellent job of tying a mystery to the Houston Astros and to an astronaut assigned to NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The tidbits about Houston's ballpark were equally fascinating, especially the pieces relating to the architecture / design of the space.
Nathaniel
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's about they go on this tour of the spot where they launch rockets. Then they are going to a baseball game that night. The person giving the tour was showing a moonrock and giving autographs. Then the moon rock gets stolen and they catch the man. The moonrock was from Apollo 11.
Mitran Kumar
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Its a "Out of the park" mystery
Egan Smith
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like how the characters are smart and really curious, just like me!
Caleb
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I Liked it
Jastin
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was very good, but i figured out the book after reading the first few pages. I guessed the villian and what happens@ Good boook@
Bloomfield Eastern Greene County Public Library
Ready by Kimberly
Kelly
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
I love this quote by Roger Hornsby under the dedications: "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Johnnie
Mar 12, 2015
Cori Evans
Aug 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Hockey Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #80)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • The White Wolf (A to Z Mysteries, #23)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Midnight Visitor (Encyclopedia Brown, #13)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Cracks the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #24)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • The Panda Puzzle (A to Z Mysteries, #16)
  • Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #1)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Dead Eagles (Encyclopedia Brown, #12)
  • New Year's Eve Thieves (Calendar Mysteries, #13)
David A. Kelly is an established book, magazine, and newspaper writer who has written for a wide variety of outlets, including: Author, Babe Ruth and the Baseball Curse, Random House, Spring, 2009, Ballpark Mystery Series, Random House, Spring, 2011; Contributor, The New York Times "Practical Guide to Practically Everything";- Travel writer, New York Times, Boston Globe, New York Post, Chicago ...more

Ballpark Mysteries (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • The Pinstripe Ghost (Ballpark Mysteries #2)
  • The L.A. Dodger (Ballpark Mysteries, #3)
  • The All-Star Joker (Ballpark Mysteries, #5)
  • The Wrigley Riddle (Ballpark Mysteries, #6)
  • The San Francisco Splash (Ballpark Mysteries, #7)
  • The Missing Marlin (Ballpark Mysteries, #8)
  • The Philly Fake (Ballpark Mysteries, #9)
  • The Rookie Blue Jay (Ballpark Mysteries #10)
  • The Tiger Troubles (Ballpark Mysteries, #11)