Start by marking “Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)

Darkhouse

(Experiment in Terror #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  17,450 ratings  ·  1,777 reviews
Enter the world of the highly-acclaimed Experiment in Terror Series by visiting...the Darkhouse:

There’s always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she’s been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twenty-something, she’s still not what you would call “ordinary.” For one thing, there’s her past which she likes to preten
Published May 12th 2011 by Metal Blonde Books (first published May 1st 2011)

·  17,450 ratings  ·  1,777 reviews

Start your review of Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)
Candace
I have been wanting to read this story for a long time. I have had the Audible edition sitting on my shelf for months, if not years. Finally, I decided to give it a shot.

Unfortunately, this book ended up being a disappointment for me. It ended up being kind of "meh". I just couldn't ever connect with the characters or the story.

I'm beginning to think that I need to stick to Karina Halle's dark romance/dark erotica. I love many of her other books that fall in those sub-genres. However, every bo
Dd
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Hello Readers!!

Do you like to watch scary movies with your lights switched off, hugging your pillows to yourself,wrapped up in your favourite blanket??

All the while jumping at every little sound and looking all around you???

If yes,then grab your pillows and blankets and welcome to the Darkhouse......

An EXPERIMENT IN TERROR is about to be conducted!!!

--------------------------------------------------

Now let's meet with them who are conducting it.....

Readers,what would you do if you stu
Karina Halle
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
You are your own worst critic. With that in mind...

Darkhouse isn't high-brow literature, it's not going to change the world (yet), and yeah, there are one or two typos in the book. But, considering it's the first book in the series, it is what is. A "pilot episode" that introduces two characters, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray, who will vex, challenge and intrigue you from this book onwards. Darkhouse has some tense, creepy moments - not only with regards to the supernatural (including a "dead" li
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
By mixing in elements of horror, humor, romance, and action, this Experiment In Terror is a complete success!

Working at a job she can't stand and living with a family who doesn't understand her, Perry Palomino is having trouble finding her place in the world. Maybe that's why she finds herself drawn to other things that don't quite belong in this world as well. Shadowy horrors invade her dreams, and a haunted lighthouse beacons her. When her investigation into the strange lighthouse leads her to
Georgia ♥

"Amazing. Awesome. Cool. Fantastic. Stupendous. Crazy. Too good to be true."

5 Amazing-Karina-Halle Supernatural Stars

"How come you aren’t afraid?" "Because I find life to be scarier than death."

description

Horror was never more exciting...

A dark, twisted, and gothic read. An Alfred Hitchcock movie scenario. Sadly, he is dead and can't make it another masterpiece. Karina Halle has nothing to envy and with this series she firmly finds her place between the masters of horror and thrillers, amongst my all-
Navessa

Well, fuck.

I have no idea how I feel about this so I'm just going to leave it at three stars. Do I like Perry? Not sure. I can’t tell if I think she’s a delightful misfit and a welcome change from the usual speshul snowflake, or if she’s just a petty, judgmental bitch with an infuriating lack of self-esteem. I went back and forth with her throughout the whole frigging book.

And Dex? Is he interesting and complex? Or a complete asshole? I couldn’t make heads or tails of him. And what the fuck wa
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
WHOEVER WANTS TO JOIN WE ARE DOING A READALONG OF THE SERIES HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE CHAT IF YOU WANT TO JOIN <3 ": https://discord.com/invite/pEBJWq?fbc...

description

I didn’t know what to expect with this book,I have never read anything like that before but since it was highly rated by a lot of people, I thought I would give it a shot!I wasn’t disappointed!This book was amazing!!!!!

Perry Palomino's life hasn't turned out quite the way she had planned. At 22-years old she lives with her parents who don'
Riley
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was so addicting
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Well, shit, son. If there was a moment that determined the course of my future, I'm pretty sure this was it.

Apparently, Experiment in Terror has quite the cult following that I'm only just now finding out about. As usual, I am late to the party. My invitation MUST HAVE GOTTEN LOST IN THE MAIL. Thanks, friends.

3.5 stars for a promising start to this series. I sense potential. I keep hearing that it only gets better from here on out, so I will definitely be picking up the next book soo
Kristin (KC)
*4 Stars!*

A fun and promising start to what appears to be an amazing series!

Although the horror genre may not be a stretch for many, Darkhouse was my introduction into the fictional world of fear. I'd initially been warned from many that this first installation is more of a decent warm-up to an incredible series, so I consequently lowered my expectations a bit. I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how immensely I enjoyed this book; it was precisely what I needed to shake up my rea
Jen
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jen by: All of my GR friends who love this series!
"Expect the Unexpected!"

First, I want to say that this book brings to my attention exactly why I love GR. I would have never been aware of this series or author if it weren't for all of my GR buds talking about how awesome this series is, and how they have fallen in love with the mysterious, moody character; Dex Foray. Darkhouse is the first book in the Experiment of Terror series, and as with tons of my fellow readers, I have fallen in love with this series. This is not a romance, (although I
xrysa
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A haunted lighthouse

Nightmares

Ghosts?

Perry

Perry had to visit her uncle Al , who owned a lighthouse.
That night her cousins decided to go with some friends on the beach , so they invited Perry and her sister.
Perry got bored and the lighthouse drew her curiosity.
She thought that it would be a great idea to exlpore it now that she had the chance to , because her uncle wouldnt allow anyone to enter the lighthouse.
But weird things happened.....

There she also met DEX

Well, after a few chapters they end
Kristalia
Final rating: 3.75/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 4.75/5 stars

BUDDY READ WITH VILDA ♥♥♥ It was fuuuuuuuun ♥

CHECK OUT MY PARTNER'S IN CRIME aka VILDA'S REVIEW

“We need you to be scared.”
“Why do I have to be? How come you aren’t afraid?”
“Because I find life to be scarier than death,” he replied matter-of-factly."

Hm... I don't know if i expected too much of this book, or if it was something else. I liked it, it was really cool, and it has strong lead character - wh
Duchess Nicole
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-pcs, genre-horror
This book is FREE at Barnes and Noble and Smashwords! Get it, get it!!

I'm not normally much for horror books, but I've recently been trying to loosen my rabid grip on all things romance. Turns out, I truly tend to need it to stay interested. The great thing about that is that even male authors tend to throw a little romance into their plot somewhere. So when I started seeing this series pop up all over my feed, ami
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
We meet Perry and basically find out that she's had a bit of a rough life. She's talked to imaginary friends, dabbled in drugs and dealt with some bullies. But she has finished college and is trying to make her way in this poor economy. On a weekend trip to her Uncle's, she decides to check out his "haunted" lighthouse and during some strange encounters, she meets Dex.

description

So, it's been killing me to have put these off for so long but I knew from all my friend's reactions that this series would just
Geri Reads
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 creep-tastic stars!

Finally, my first read from Karina Halle, (I'm a late Halle bloomer), and my first read of the Experiment in Terror Series,(obviously). And let me just say, it felt fantastic to finally get to experience what people have been raving about.

All I can say is the hype is definitely warranted. This is just the first book but already I can safely say, I am hooked. I already love Perry. Dex...he's definitely growing on me.

This book had the right amount of creep, mystery,
Brittni
4.5 SUPER CREEPY STARS!!!!!!

[image error]

I really loved this book!! It was so good!! I don't normally read scary supernatural books, but I'm glad I took a chance with this one. This book really reminded me of the show "Supernatural" with all the creepy and fascinating elements in the story.

I loved Perry!!! She is just like your average 22 year old trying to figure out her place in the world. I like the fact that the author didn’t make her perfect and she has flaws like every other girl.

At firs
Vishous
I am afraid.... I am very afraid.... afraid to write this review... because I have a feeling GR community, that is a big fan of this series, will probably make me suffer by locking me in a room with lighthouse keeper...

I had this feeling too when I was writing a review for KA's book RAID. So many people loved it, and worships the author, that I was terrified to write that it was really nothing special.

I have heard that this series gets better with every following book and that is why I was lite
Nicole

I really wanted to like this book but I simply couldn’t. While Perry did not bother me, she certainly did not help. I also didn’t appreciate Dex. I was certainly spooked during some moments but overall this book was disappointment and a big meh. I liked the lighthouse story but I’m a characters kind of person through and through and the characters here did nothing for me to like the book.
It's just me Shelly B
Dex and Perry...

Two amateur ghost hunters who have lots and lots of secrets.....Some would call them CRAZY but would I.....nah!!

Their reality is some what skewed but I ended up loving these two quirky characters!!!

This book started out just kinda "meh" for me. The descriptions were overly wordy and there was barely any dialogue between the main characters. I struggled because I really wanted to like this book, I had heard great things about this series!!!

Well finally, after almost dnf'ing the b
Jamie
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OHMYGOSH!!!!! THAT WAS TOTAL AMAZEBALLS!!!!!!

Seriously....this book was crazy good. just CRAZY GOOD. It's been on my TBR forever and I've actually attempted to read it several times but was never quite ready for it... until now. WOW. I have totally been missing out on this!

ON TO BOOK#2 !!!!!
I was late high school/early college when X-Files was on TV. Every Friday night, after my evening shift at work, it was me, late-night takeout, textbooks, and X-Files. It may sound like a sad routine but I loved it. You'd think Karina Halle's Experiment in Terror series would be a distant memory for me then, right? It's got X-Files written all over it! Truth is, when I discovered Ms. Halle in 2013, this series was already released and for whatever reason just didn't make it onto my "priority" ra ...more
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy | Foxy Blogs by: Darlene
FREE ->http://amzn.to/1jC3zCK
5/30/2014

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**4 Expect the Unexpected stars**

KC had mentioned to me about wanting to read this series a couple months ago but I was too chicken to take the leap of faith. But after a bad run on romance books lately I knew I had to cleanse my palate. After reading the first couple of pages and seeing my hometown mentioned and my alma mater I knew it was going to be okay!!! Plus there is a lot of humor in this book.

Perry and Dex both have the ability
Catarina
Okay, I’ll be really quick on this review, because I want to jump on this series and since they told the more the series advance, the better it gets... well, I want to read this the fast as I can.
I’m usually not the biggest fan of horror stories (basically because I’m a chicken) but I’ve got to say that I was seriously missing out on this books. Karina Halle is a hell of a horror genius.

description

So Perry is a 22 years old, bored with her life and with no idea what to do. One night, when spending a week
* Meli Mel *
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

*** 4 Creepy Clown Lady Stars***

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

Perry-- “How come you aren’t afraid?”
Dex-- “Because I find life to be scarier than death,” he replied matter-of-factly."

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I would usually not go for a book like this. But, since everyone talks highly of this series, I had to give it a try. I had no idea what to expect, well except for that fact that it was gonna freak me out. I am surprised that I actu
Aisling Zena

Right after finishing this book
description
Which I suspect I'm not gonna get answers to anytime soon. And now I must read all the rest of this series. If I could I'd probably do this:
description

I adore a book that can keep me guessing until the end. I also kinda love/hate that to satisfy my curiosity I'd probably have to read every single book in the series.

Perry Palomino was a very intriguing character. Some aspects of her personality were typical but others were anything but. Generally I liked her but didn
Fathima
OMG !!!! When i started reading this one , i was'nt sure if this was a 5 star read at all . I'll tell you why , because it started out really slow and somewhat irritating . Well i'm not really sure about the irritating part , must have been the med's i took to get rid of this flu that i've been down with but anywhoo this book was totally not i expected it to be . Its scary , its funny , its adventurous , its got a little steam too building up on the Main Characters - Perry and Dex , in short its ...more
Rosa, really

To sum up:

Perry's very likeable.

Ooh! Oregon Coast!

It was creepy.

And confusing.

Dex can be a poop.

But dreamy, like a young Robert Downey Jr.

Some of the attitudes towards (view spoiler) really bugged the shit out of me.

But I liked it.

I want more.

**Thanks for the BR, Meags & Otila!**["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]
Holly
5 stars

Every once in a while I stumble across an author that just completely takes me by surprise in a wonderful, squee-inducing way. This time, it was Karina Halle.

I had heard some amazing things about her Experiment in Terror series, and have been meaning to check it out for quite a while. And after only reading the first few pages of Darkhouse, I knew this was something special.

22 yr old Perry Palomino has been haunted by bizarre dreams that have a habit of coming true. While on a weekend ge
Giselle
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
Coming highly recommended by so many friends, I couldn't resist from checking out this creeptastic looking series any longer. All you need to convince me, really, is to tell me it has ghosts--and these are not the sweet ghosts you can fall in love with either (which I will never be fond of), these are evil: truly and relentlessly evil.

Having been reading a lot of Young Adult novels, it was a nice change to get a protagonist that's a bit older. At 22 years old, Perry is dealing with an unfulfilli
Experiment in Terror Series Recommentation 1 2 Jul 10, 2020 08:45PM
My Vampire Book O...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Experiment in Terror Series 20 37 Nov 06, 2017 07:13AM
A Million More Pages: April BOTM - Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1) 49 75 Aug 24, 2016 05:39AM
Nancy Gideon By M...: Buddy Read - Darkhouse 8 14 Oct 29, 2014 10:33AM

• Fables & Other Lies
  • His Beauty
  • Karolina Dalca, Dark Eyes
  • Fallen
  • Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood, #1)
  • The Dare
  • When We Met  (Moments in Boston, #2)
  • A King so Cold (Royals, #1)
  • Stay for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #4 )
  • A Battle of Blood and Stone (Chronicles of the Stone Veil, #4)
  • Toe to Toe
  • Dead Man Walking (The Fallen Men, #6)
  • Abel (Sabine Valley #1)
  • Catch Me When I Fall (Falling Stars #2)
  • The Finish Line (The Ravenhood, #3)
  • Hard Love (Trophy Boyfriends, #3)
  • Not What I Expected
  • A Bridge Between Us
Karina Halle is a screenwriter, a former music & travel journalist, and the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of The Pact, A Nordic King, and Sins & Needles, as well as sixty other wild and romantic reads.

She, her musician husband, and their adopted pit bull, Bruce, live in a rainforest on an island off the coast of British Columbia during the summer, and in Lo

Experiment in Terror (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)
  • Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Come Alive (Experiment in Terror, #7)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror, #8)
  • Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9)
  • Came Back Haunted (Experiment in Terror #10)
  • In the Fade (Experiment in Terror #11)

News & Interviews

“Somehow, by dealing with the dead, I had never felt so alive.” 80 likes
“I used to dream big. It seemed like somewhere along the way I had forgotten about that. And gave up.” 56 likes