Start by marking “William Shakespeare's: The Tempest” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare's: The Tempest

William Shakespeare's: The Tempest

The Tempest is one of the most popular plays of all time. Set on an enchanted island where humans, monsters, and fairies meet, William Shakespeare's most magical play will delight young readers in this spirited retelling, illustrated in rich detail.
Published September 1st 1996 by Yearling (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare's

Start your review of William Shakespeare's: The Tempest
Elsie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shakespeare a drámaírás tartós teje; a konfliktusai a drámái zömében nem tér-idő koordinátákhoz kötöttek, és a legjobbak annyira komplexek, hogy nagyon sok rendezést elbírnak, még a legjelentéktelenebb mellékszereplők szemszögéből is megfoghatóak. És hálásak modern rendezésben is színre vinni őket, mert kiállják azt a próbát, amit nagyon sok más dráma nem: a konfliktusa interpretálható a 21. századra, vagy kitehető egy teljesen fiktíven felépített, téridőtlen zónába is, a feszültség marad, mert ...more
Christina
A brief retelling of Shakespeare's play. Listed as for all ages, but references to drunkeness and murder, the somewhat archaic language and sentence structure, and the complex plot involving many characters would make this inappropriate for younger readers. Nice illustrations by Ruth Sanderson.
Beverly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-general
An excellent retelling in current modern English so that youngster's can enjoy Shakespeare's play. Lovely paintings by Sanderson.
Meg McGregor
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
This is the story of a man, Prospero - who along with his daughter, Miranda are forced to leave their home and live on an island for over twelve years. There he meets magical creatures, both good and bad, and Prospero learns magic.

Magic so great that he is able to shipwreck the ship that comes to the island twelve years later and its passengers include the men that betrayed him.

This is a retelling for younger readers of Shakespeare's great tale, The Tempest, and I think it is very g
Adrian
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here is my review for The Tempest: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I didn't like the full cast audio narration that I listened to as much as I liked this Children's version of the classic Shakespeare play. What does that say about me? ....don't answer that....

Either way, my eight-year-old son, Olsen, really liked this book as I read it to him (he liked the illustrations too).

One thing that I thought was cool about this book was that there were a lot of difficult words in here (many taken from the origi
Ignacia
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I didn't like it that much because I had to read it to do a paper for my British Lit class.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We Loved this retelling for children. and the pictures are just Lovely. A Beautiful book.
Alicia
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As Shakespeare's last play I expected it to be truly extraordinary, however it wasn't. Despite that I found the play quite entertaining and felt it had some very important messages within it. Some readers will definitely find the language hard but try and find a copy with references! That will really help you understand the play in full!
Krystl Louwagie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've never been a huge fan of Shakespeare, but this was a nicely adapted piece with beautiful illustrations (again, I'm sure we owned it because my mom, sister, and I loved Ruth Sadnerson's illustrated works growing up). This version is easy to follow, and I wasn't familiar with the Tempest story, so, it was good to be briefed on it.
Thomas Andrikus
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'tis another Shakespearean play that I finished reading within 20 mins (due to the fact that the book is an abridged version, that is).

So far, this is the one play that has the most pleasant story to read...
Abram
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is overall a good story about the Duke of Milan who was stranded on an island with his daughter for 12 years by his jealous brother. He forgives him and his accomplices but warns them not to do it again.
Heidi
Mar 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-book
Pictures boring. Retelling bland.
Emmalee Miller
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore Shakespeare. His work is pure beauty. I can't recommend his works enough.
Tina
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
I enjoyed the book but a retelling is no match for the live performance.
Titania (Tanya)

• The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays
  • A Christmas Carol, The Chimes and The Cricket on the Hearth
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Henry VIII
  • Macbeth: The Graphic Novel (Original Text)
  • The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (abridged)
  • King Lear
  • Essential Tales and Poems
  • The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (Tales of Alderley, #1)
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • 23 Things They Don't Tell You about Capitalism
  • Beowulf
  • Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
  • The Ill-Made Mute (The Bitterbynde, #1)
  • Blossom in Winter (Blossom in Winter, #1)