Start by marking “Embracing Your Inner Critic: Turning Self-Criticism into a Creative Asset” as Want to Read:
Embracing Your Inner Critic: Turning Self-Criticism into a Creative Asset

Embracing Your Inner Critic: Turning Self-Criticism into a Creative Asset

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Hal and Sidra Stone are the creators of "Voice Dialogue" process, a therapy that transforms the inner critic from crippling adversary to productive ally.The inner critic. It whispers, whines, and needles us into place. It checks our thoughts, controls our behavior, and inhibits action. It thinks it is protecting us from being disliked, hurt, or abandoned. Instead, the crit ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperOne (first published March 5th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Embracing Your Inner Critic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embracing Your Inner Critic

Kevin Orth
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read, very insightful and rich with insight, counsel, and practical advise on negotiating with, understanding, working with, and ultimately transcending the Inner Critic.

One thing that particularly stood out for me was all the discussion about primary and romantic relationships were heterosexual. I'm not certain if this is a reflection of the authors' limited, heteronormative perspective or if it is that the authors are heterosexist. It would be good to have added dimension of how rela
Charlene Smith
Okay, nothing I hadn’t read before, or did not personally know. A little glib.
Barbara Whittaker
An amazing must read for anybody wanting to lead a self-aware life. Turn off the continual torment and open yourself up to some peace and happiness!
Chaz
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that I'm shocked hasn't gotten more awareness. I'd recommend to anyone. Matter of fact I've already recommended it to multiple friends and colleagues.
Nebula
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super citatelna knizka. Ked som citala pasaze, ako clovek ktoreho v nejakom momente zoziera vnutorny kritik v ostatnych ludoch vzbudzuje vonkajsich sudcov trochu sa mi ulavilo. Pretoze sa mi to stava obcas a nechapala som. Preco mi vsetci este nakladaju ked sa citim mizerne. Pri citani som mala pocit ze vidim napisane a formulovane veci ktore poznam. Tie ktore sa mi uz tak nestavaju, tie ktore ano a potesilo ma ze poznam aj kritika transformovaneho na dobreho rodica. Velmi zrozumitelne pouzite p ...more
Neel Mullick
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most influential books I've ever read – for anyone trying to break free from patterns of their past while the past is exactly what might be holding them back.
Margot Note
De'Londa from the Wire is my Inner Critic personified.

"Most of us are not even aware that it is a voice or a self speaking inside of us because its constant judgments have been with us since early childhood and its running critical commentary feels like a natural part of ourselves"(4).

"The Inner Critic's original function is to spare us shame and pain" (7).

"Parents need to succeed in making you a proper person--whatever that means to them--in order to feel good about themselves. Underneath al
crystAlex
The book is quite good, and as always contains very interesting insights by Hal & Sidra to be used every day, but to me, it is too redundant next to 'Embracing our Selves'.
On its own, this book could, I think, be contained in half the pages (sometimes, the same 3 or 4 sentences are repeated twice on a page... surprised that passed the editing stage!). If you take out the EOS redundancies, you're left with one or two extremely interesting chapters, that would've been better added to that boo
Bucket
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Self help books are more often than not obfuscated by the very overly specialized language they are using to try to promote clarity, and this one is no different. But if you can get past the dizzying rollercoaster of judges, critics, primary selves, and disowned selves (whaaaa?), there's a solid core to be had here. I had to take their ideas and translate them into a language that was more intuitive to me, but once I did I got a lot from their theories. Pretty much recommended.
Valerie
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
insightful , thoughtful , and readable! (not-too psyhcyo-babble or pedantic) A book to discover what may be holding you back. Good examples with case histories. The authors bring their rich experience as therapists and sincere compassion to their writing. I discovered a lot about my self in reading this.
Vincent
Although at times it was a struggle to get through some parts which didn't particularly resonate with me. It contains some very useful elements and contributed to my awareness on my inner workings. I read the Dutch version and would like to read the English version at some time.
Brian
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
The idea of talking with ones inner voices isn't new to me, but this book has an approach I wasn't familiar with. It's bearing fruit. It could have used better editing, though.
Kathy Davie
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was very eye-opening. Made me much more aware of how we (I !) create so many of my own problems. Very insightful.
Jmp
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last chapter was very good - - Transforming the Inner Critic. Dialog, Journal, Parenting, Honoring. Understanding that the voice is from fear -- fear of shame, danger, the unknown.
Lyne Tumlinson
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So meaningful to understand where those voices in my head come from and how to turn them from the dark side to help me!
Clyde
Dec 17, 2015
Jess
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • Change Your Mind and Your Life Will Follow: 12 Simple Principles
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Breaking the Chain of Low Self-Esteem
  • Freedom and Destiny
  • Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am?: Insights Into Personal Growth
  • The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development
  • Love Yourself, Heal Your Life Workbook
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • The Psychology of Self-Esteem
  • The Four Levels of Healing: A Guide to Balancing the Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, and Physical Aspects of Life
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • The Power of Patience: How This Old-Fashioned Virtue Can Improve Your Life
  • The Reluctant Shaman: A Woman's First Encounters with the Unseen Spirits of the Earth
  • Give Your Speech, Change the World: How To Move Your Audience to Action
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
“Our judgments always have behind them a quality of righteousness.” 1 likes
“Often we allow our lives to be run by our Rule Makers, Inner Critics, Pushers, Perfectionists, Pleasers, Responsible Parents, and other selves. When we do, no real choices are available to us. We must continue to live our lives by their rules. We call this collection of primary selves our Operating Ego. When this Operating Ego is in charge, we are not driving our own psychological cars. Instead, they are driven by whichever of our primary selves is the strongest at the moment. Our disowned selves, such as our Boundary Setters, our Fun Lovers, our Daydreamers, our Self-Indulgent Princesses, our Warriors, our Incompetent Oafs, and our Irresponsible Children, are locked securely in the trunk.” 0 likes