Start by marking “Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)

Devil's Punch

(Corine Solomon #4)

The power swelled inside me, burning, hurting, but I let it center me. Pain means I’m still here, fighting. I envisioned it swelling in my hand in a seething rush, gathering, gathering, and then I sent it out on my resolve like a dark and winged thing riding the magickal wind.

As a handler, Corine Solomon can touch any object and learn its history. Her power is a gift, but
Mass Market Paperback, 316 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Roc

Start your review of Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
How far would you go to save your best friend? If you’re anything like Corine Solomon, you would take a one-way ticket to hell without a second thought.

This is my tenth book by Ann Aguirre, and she has yet to write a single sentence that I won’t like. From her restrained writing style to her astonishing worlds, everything she does demonstrates calmness, precision and experience not many authors have.

My relationship with Corine Solomon got off to a rocky start. Just like Sirantha Jax, she was
Tammy
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
Devil's Punch picks up right where Shady Lady left off. Corine and Chance are in Mexico, Corine's trying to rebuild and work on her magical skills. Things are going great until Corine gets a note saying that Shannon has been kidnapped. Because of events in the last book, Corine knows that demons are involved.

I like this book but I don't think it was nearly as good as Shady Lady. I really missed Kel. Chance was awesome and has definitely changed and is serious about being with Corine...but I got
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

DEVIL’S PUNCH is the game changer book for the Corine Solomon series. Normally, I love it when authors take big risks to shake up their series, but I think in this case it might have been too much. Without spoiling anything, two huge events transpire; one that drastically alters the tone of this book, and another that will drastically affect the tone of the next book.

Praise is due once again for the writing which is as immersive as always. We get to vi
Anna
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fantasy, action
I’m disappointed.

I was mad at Corine half of the book. Corine’s love life is fickle: she loves Chance, but also Kell and she has desired/desires Jesse, Chance and Kell. We are lucky that Jesse is now with Shannon, otherwise we would have to put up with more of her whining. Corine’s love life is fickle. I annoyed me to no end. I like romances, but I expect some direction in them: this is the fourth book and Corine could be with just anyone of the aforementioned (except Jesse out of loyalty with S
Feminista
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am sad to say I am very disappointed with this book.

This series used to be one of my most favourite UF series.

But I am not okay with Shannon and Jesse. She is barely out of high school and he is so much older and a cop to boot. Not only that, but his romantic attachment with Corine from before just added to my distaste. I don't care how the author spins this: for example, the amnesia broke the barriers to Shannon and Jesse's love, or whatever other reasoning anyone can come up with. But there
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
Devil's Punch was filled with so much action, I hardly knew how to continue! Corine went through so many things that made my heart not only break, but completely shatter for her.
Ferdy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

Set a few months after the events of Shady Lady, Corine returns to Mexico to try and rebuild her business and home. Corine must also deal with her ex-boyfriend, Chance who has followed her to Mexico in the hopes of winning her back. Without her best friend Shannon to help her, Corine is struggling to cope with her new future. Shannon along with Corine’s almost boyfriend, Jesse, no longer remember Corine due to one of her memory spells going awry. When Shannon goes missing, Corine finds o
Summer
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't know what it is lately but I've been disappointed with Ann Aguirre's books lately. And it's kind of complicated in that I'm not disappointed in the writing quality or Ann Aguirre's ability to keep me glued to the pages. It's more of a disappointment in the directions her series are taking. I still love the author's writing and I want to find out what happens in both this series and her Sirantha Jax series, but I wish the past few books in the series turned out differently.
Kathy Davie
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban, fantasy
Fourth in the Corine Solomon urban fantasy series revolving around a touch psychic living in Mexico.

My Take
I was enjoying the promise of Corine and Chance together again, building a life. Then Aguirre comes along with this kidnapping. Okay. Obviously, a new story needs a new bit of drama. And it's good for a while, but then Corine is making all these stupid decisions, just rushing on in without thought.

One word sums it up...drama queen.

It's certainly an interesting journey into Hell. Then there
Pamela / SpazP
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

Corine is back in this fourth book of the Corine Solomon series, by Ann Aguirre! I have waited a year for this installment and it was totally the wait.

Since the events in the last book, Shady Lady, we know that her friend Shannon no longer remembers her. Corine has basically lost a best friend and a would-be boyfriend by using a "simple" magic trick that went really wrong. Oops! When Shannon goes missing, and it's revealed she is being held in Sheol, it
Erin
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Aguirre takes a lot of narrative risks in this book, and it didn't entirely work for me. After her "forget" spell makes her boyfriend and best friend forget her somewhat permanently (oops), Corine gets back with her ex, Chance, and starts to rebuild in Mexico. But as always, her actions in the last book have consequences in this one, and she must travel to Sheol (aka Hell) to rescue Shannon, said best friend, who has been kidnapped in retribution for Corine's actions.

This is where it gets a lit
Diana Thayer
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's taken me a while to make up my mind about this series...the first two books I liked, the third was all right, and this one I liked less. I dislike the romantic arrangements that seem contrived (first we have two guys "fighting" it out for the heroine's affectinos, then we have a half-angel, then we have the first of the two guys, then immediately upon his heels, the original (ex) boyfriend and second of the two guys triumphing, then he gets killed)...and in many respects the circumstances s ...more
Sierra Dean
The best Corine Solomon yet.

Just when you think Ann Aguirre has done it all, she tops herself. And then sucker punches you.

A must read.
Bunnycore
ugh, okay so I love this series there are no doubts here, but this one fell flat. It was all about the woe's with me Corine and not the Corine I enjoyed. I think I just missed Shannon. I didn't like Jesse anyways, well I don't like much of Chance either but Jesse was just a let down as a love interest. I would have preferred if anyone it would be Kel. But, I solely digress.. IMISSYOUKELILOVEYOU!!!

ahem, now I digress..

So Corine, Butch, and Chance have to do to Shoel to rescue Shannon. Who cannot
mlady_rebecca
Stacy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Chance has moved to Mexico to be with Corine and although their relationship is progressing slowly there time alone together is all cut short when Corine finds out her best friend has been kidnapped by Demons. The pair quickly find out that the kidnapping is to get Corine to jump into the demon realm and take her place on the throne.

I was really sad that the ending of book 3 SHADY LADY left some of Corine's closest friends without any memories of her. Although they finally get their memories ba
Paris
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Ann Aguirre’s writing. I love how she takes me deep into the story. I am fully invested in what happens to Corine and her friends and that happened after a few chapters in book 1 when usually it takes me a whole book to feel close to a main character in a series. Besides creating amazing characters, I usually can picture the setting and surroundings to the point where I feel like I’m in the middle of Mexico or Kilmer, GA.

With all that being said, there was something that I didn’t groove w
Starfire
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one immensely, although it looks like some of what I liked so much was the exact things that made others disliked the book - to each their own, I guess.

For me, this book promised everything I've come to expect from Ann Aguirre's writing: gritty situations, epic worldbuilding, complex characters, strong-if-flawed relationships and no easy answers. Ever.

I particularly loved the way Ms Aguirre handled the whole Corine-and-Ninlil-headspace-sharing thing. I loved how she showed who was
Chrissa
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Almost halfway through the book, I realized that I was tired of the plot. Although I'd enjoyed previous entries in this series, the "possessed by an evil queen" storyline began to drag and I started to associate this with a Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden/Spiderman level of degredation heroism.

The main character, Corinne Solomon, is going to just going to keep slogging until she can't and the reader might as well settle in to duck the slings and arrows of an unappreciative or antagonistic world as sh
mrsj
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Let's see... where shall I begin without giving away anything?

It bores me for the most of the book due to the constant narration of corine and herself and her past, her ex and have I mention, herself?

And then it gets interesting to know more about herself, her not ex and her missing father.

Something happened, shit hit the fan and everything went to hell.

I don't do well with loss of loved ones.
Used Kleenex on 3 occasions and the book got my attention back with less of Corine talking to herself.

Th
Sandy
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy, witch
I really enjoyed the first three books in this series. I almost felt like this book was written by a different author. I didn't feel the connection to the characters that I had in the past books and didn't care for the direction that Ann has taken the series.
Nora-adrienne
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Corine Solomon series takes you to places we can only imagine. Her trials and tribulations would kill even a superior being, and yet she prevails against overwhelming odds. I'm looking forward to the next book about her life and times.
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
A very generous three stars. So many things went wrong that I don't know where to begin. Not sure that I want to review this one.
Anachronist
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:

It is the fourth part of a series – you can read it as a stand-alone (there is plenty of info from previous books mentioned in the plot) but still you’ll be missing many details so I don't recommend starting with this one.

Chance has moved to Mexico to be with Corine Solomon, his ex-girlfriend. Although their relationship is progressing slowly toward the right direction they simply lack enough time to make it work. Soon after they settled down and bought some furniture Corine gets a no
Michael
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Corine Solomon series by Ann Aguirre. This book is an Urban fantasy. In this one Corine and Chance are living back in Mexico City trying to rebuild her shop and work on their relationship. She receives a note from a demon demanding that she meet at a designation that is only map co-ordinance in the mountains near Mexico City. If she fails to appear her friend Shannon will be killed. Even though Corine has taken Shannon's memory of her time with Corine in a spell go ...more
Nicole Luiken
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The first few chapters read like an orientation for new readers, but man! once the plot starts, it really goes. Instead of saving the descent to the demon realm for the final climactic chapters, Corine and Chance spend the bulk of the book in the demon realm. Great world-building and stakes that ratchet higher and higher as Corine's heritage as King Solomon's descendant come into play.
Rhapsody Phoenix
Oy vey
👁️👁️
"Sigh"
well....
It was Comme ci, comme ça
Some parts mundane
Some parts were very chaotic & lacked fluidity
The last 25% was good
I enjoyed Corine's growth and maturity
I enjoyed chance love and loyalty
I liked imaron's character
I'd some up the ending with ...
"sometimes you gotta lose to win."
The eternal optimist I move...
Onward to AGAVE KISS 💋 (5)
Michelle
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Very action packed with pure romance. Sacrifices aplenty mixed with loyalty, reverence, friendship, kinship, power, revenge and most importantly, love .
Josephine
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, the uncertainty, the twist at the end. I still love Butch
Natalie
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where to begin......?

I love the Corine Soloman series.....even the little stumble down with the 2nd book didn't bother me. For some reason though, I love and hate Devil's Punch. It's been a few days since I finished the book and my thoughts and emotions are still conflicted over what I read. I understand it for the progression of the series, I loved it for the character building, but I hated it for how the entire story played out. I am saying this is a 4 star read because I did truly enjoy readi
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • Nasty (Dirty Nasty Freaks #2)
  • Midlife Bounty Hunter (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Alex (Cold Fury Hockey, #1)
  • Dirty (Dirty Nasty Freaks, #1)
  • Fallen Crest Home (Fallen Crest High, #6)
  • Fallen Fourth Down (Fallen Crest High, #4)
  • Carter Reed 2 (Carter Reed, #2)
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest High #7)
  • Mason (Fallen Crest High, #0.5)
  • Crime Lord's Captive (Crime Lord, #1)
  • Reckless At Raleigh High (Raleigh Rebels Book 3)
  • Revenge At Raleigh High (Raleigh Rebels #2)
  • Deviant (Blood & Roses, #1)
  • Fracture (Blood & Roses, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Ann Aguirre has been a clown, a clerk, a savior of stray kittens, and a voice actress, not necessarily in that order. She grew up in a yellow house across from a cornfield, but now she lives in Mexico with her family. She writes all kinds of genre fiction, but she has an eternal soft spot for a happily ever after.

Corine Solomon (5 books)
  • Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
  • Agave Kiss (Corine Solomon, #5)

News & Interviews

“Are you mine?" I asked, low knowing the answer already.

"Completely." His voice thrummed with conviction.

And oh, I liked it.

"So I may do anything I wish with you?"

"Anything."

I didn't need his invitation, of course. He belonged to me, like everything in Sheol, but there was more pleasure in a willing slave. I drew my athame and took his hand. He shuddered at my touch because I put a thread of power in it, pulled it through him in a flicker of the darkest pleasure. Soon enough he'd beg for this, unable to perform with anyone else. I knew how to enthrall my lovers. With a faint smile, I pricked the tip of his finger. Not as much pain as he expected, I think, but I drew blood. His gasp aroused me. His blood welled like a crimson jewel and I took his fingertip between my lips, tasting him. Learning his secrets.”
4 likes