Start by marking “Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined” as Want to Read:
Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined

Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined

Becoming a mother takes more than the physical act of giving birth or completing an adoption: it takes birthing oneself as a mother through psychological, intellectual, and spiritual work that continues throughout life. Yet most women’s stories of personal growth after motherhood tend to remain untold. As writers and mothers, Andrea Buchanan and Amy Hudock were frustrated ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Seal Press (first published December 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Mama

Start your review of Literary Mama: Reading for the Maternally Inclined
Lisa
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
(Non-Fiction - Collection of poems, essays, and stories on Motherhood) I love the idea of this book and was very excited about it, but very few of the poems, essays, and stories grabbed my attention and moved me in any way. Perhaps my brief stint in motherhood (ahem, on month to be exact) has not prepared me to appreciate this collection.
Jennifer Briggs
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love it! I nabbed this book when it first came out for all of the exact reasons listed in the synopsis. I am still reading this book years later because I read the stories that resonated with me back then and I can pick it up now and find new stories that hold my interest in a completely different way now. I encourage anybody who is or is not maternally inclined to read this book.
Abby
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Literary Mama is full of beautifully-written essays and poems examining what it means to be a mother. I loved Out of the Woods by Lizbeth Finn-Arnold, Gray by Sybil Lockhart, Gan by Suzanne Kamata, and so many others... I definitely recommend this book, especially to new mothers, and even more especially to those who love to read and write.
Jenae
Apr 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book could have used a good editor.
Myrtis-eirene
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it
OK, especially if you like poetry.
Jennifer D. Munro
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Featuring Jennifer D. Munro's short story, "The Dogs of Sayulita," about the effects of infertility on a marriage.
Courtney
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was really excited about this collection initially. However, most stories didn't grab my attention and I craved more nonfiction as I read the fiction- and poetry-heavy book.
Salina Gonzales Frazier
a little esoteric but not bad
Melissa
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenthood
Thank you, Sara Pauley! I really enjoyed it book -- so much so that I bought it for another new mama!
Erica
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another nice validating book - stories by mothers who like to write and the blending of the two. Wonderful poems intermingled as well- and I don't normally dig poetry much.
Donna
May 22, 2014
Apr 25, 2009
Achayen
May 29, 2017
Literary Mama
What better book club suggestion than our own Literary Mama anthology! I've been rereading bits and pieces all summer and continue to be inspired by these introductory comments from our founding editors: "The basic story arc of motherhood is the same as it always has been. . . . What's different about the mother writing of today versus centuries ago . . . has more to do with the cultural zeitgeist than with anything fundamentally new about the story of motherhood itself." Literary Mama: Reading ...more
Sonia
Oct 03, 2015
Tessa Moroziuk
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2013
Ashley Brown
Aug 16, 2018
Terri
Aug 12, 2011
Andrea J. Buchanan is a New York Times bestselling author whose latest book is THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING, which was a finalist for the 2019 PEN/E.O. Wilson Award for Literary Science Writing. Her other work includes the multimedia young adult novel GIFT, the internationally bestselling THE DARING BOOK FOR GIRLS, her essay collection on early motherhood MOTHER SHOCK: LOVING EVERY (OTHER) MINUTE O ...more