Start by marking “When You Open Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
When You Open Your Eyes

When You Open Your Eyes

A consuming passion turns dangerous in this lush and lyrical novel set in Buenos Aires.

The more you love, the more you stand to lose….

Tessa’s head over heels for Lucien, the son of a French diplomat. Sexy, artistic, and daring, he brings out a completely new side of her. With him, Tessa feels beautiful and exotic. So when Tessa’s strict father forbids her to see Lucien, sh
Published March 20th 2012 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about When You Open Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Open Your Eyes

Melanie McCullough
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Actual Rating 2.5 Stars

I'm struggling with what to say about this book. It's not that it was bad, because it wasn't. It just wasn't that good. It was fine. There's a nice description for you, right?

All I can say is that there's nothing technically wrong with it. It was well-written (though my ARC did have a few disconcerting typos and formatting errors). I just failed to connect with Tessa and the rest of the characters in any significant way. I could sympathize with her, sure. But overall I did
Scarlet
The more you love, the more you stand to lose….

Tessa’s head over heels for Lucien, the son of a French diplomat. She gets herself into a world of art, fashion, drugs and sex. Shes quite inexperienced, and then everything goes upside down...

This book was an interesting and provoking look at a teenager suffering with mental illness. It definitely provides insight into bipolar disorder and shows how anyone can be hit by an illness like that.

It was good book, but not amazing. And what about the end?
Bailey Lamar
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
When You Open Your Eyes was extremely disconnected.
I finished this book less than three days ago, and already I'm not remembering much of anything about it, other than that it was about a girl named . . .

Yeah, see, I don't even remember her name now. Know who's name I remember? Bill. Lucien. Norah (Noree). Tyler. Jer. Kai. Esme. Wid. Gash. Mike.

How is it, that out of all the freaking characters in this book, I rememebr the flipping side characters? I even remember that Wid's mother is named Be

M
When You Open Your Eyes is a fantastic look at the way an illness can grab a hold on both sides of a relationship.

Here we have Tessa, the quiet artist, who has been uprooted, then planted in Argentina with the rest of her family. She doesn’t really know where she fits in, and so she finds herself clinging to a group of people that her parents automatically dislike. These kids are obviously up to no good – and that’s not to say they aren’t, Tessa’s drug problem was kind of alarming – and her pare
Jodi P
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-reads
I'm having a difficult time deciding what to say about When You Open Your Eyes. It was well-written enough and kept me engaged throughout. However, I think one of the reasons why I was so engaged was because I kept waiting for something to happen that never did. Based on the blurb about the book, I thought that Tessa was going to fall into a downward spiral and it would become a book about recovery and healing. There were even indications that would be the case as subtle drug use was often refe ...more
Shalana (NayNay)
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewd
Tessa has fallen in love with her new life, new friends, and Lucien. As the lines blur together she doesn't even realize when her life goes from exciting to dangerous. She refuses to see Lucien for what he really is. As the first love of her life turns into her first heartbreak, she has to open her eyes to the world around her before its too late.

I found myself connecting with Tessa as she suffered through the confusion of her relationship with not only her boyfriend, but her friends, new and ol
Hannah
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Argh. I hate writing negative reviews. But When You Open Your Eyes didn't sit right with me, so here we go.

The writing is a little strange. Not necessarily bad, just unusual. For example, the author often uses reported speech instead of regular dialogue, or a few phrases between the dialogue are reported speech. Maybe it's only because I'm not used to it, but that bothered me a little; it just felt strange. The writing is very descriptive; too descriptive at parts, in my opinion, making When You
Vanessa Gao
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
originally from my blog: http://just-sitting-thar.blogspot.com...

Set in lush, exotic Buenos Aires, When You Open Your Eyes tells the story of Tessa, the daughter of diplomat parents, and the different, almost unimaginable life she lives. While the plot largely deals with her romantic relationship with Lucien, the author also shows us the very interesting perspective of being an American on foreign land--something the Americans don't get to experience as much anymore.

The good things about this bo
Cali
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bg
May 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
You know, It really pisses me off when the summary of the book is more interesting than the actual book. I feel cheated. I hate feeling cheated by a fiction.

So the book takes place in Europe in the dramatic spin cycle of a romance between Tessa and her lovely French boyfriend Lucien. Needless to say, Tessa is having family problems, being that her father works for the government and is just coming back into her families life as a father. Blah, Blah, Blah, Tess is rebellious again how the househo
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
I wanted to like this book; I really did. But try as I might, I kept finding that the description sounded much better than the book actually was. I felt like it was rather slow at the beginning, and I thought the story was going one way with Lucien's behaviour and Tessa's isolation, but it seemed to go off in left field toward the end.

When I finally reached "The Next Part," it seemed to go from bad to worse...if that's possible. Seemed like Celeste Conway wanted to tie everything up in a way tha
Nash Norden
This book was probably about a young girl who had to face a few changes in her life. She started to hang around with the wrong people and fell in love with someone who is a bad influence to her.

I’m not sure what to say of this book. The writing was alright. Sadly, the plot was not. The beginning of the book was quite confusing. I wasn’t sure of what was happening to Tessa and her friends. The middle was a bit slow. But I can’t stop reading it because I expect something to happen. And it was towa
Jeannie Henry
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I would like to start by saying that I really wanted to like this book. I typically read literature with a very troubled character (Lucien), which is why I lean towards lit about rehab, drugs, violence, abuse, etc.
I didn't see Lucien as dark, brooding and abusive. I saw him more as whiny and spoiled and pathetic.
(view spoiler)
Hudachee
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm sort of confused with the storyline. Its like some pieces of the story doesn't connect really well. The only thing that made me finish the book was to find out what the hell was wrong with Lucien. The ending was kind of a cliff hanger. What happened to Lucien besides the fact that he is paralysed? I guess this book makes you think alot. Maybe the reason why her dad doesn't let her be with Lucien in the first place is because he had and affair with Lucien's mom.
The storyline is just an ok. I
Pat Jbhi
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking and realistic situations. Couldn't tell where the plot was going, which is a plus in my book--no pun intended. Drug use among young adults was disconcerting, but again, a reality that can't be overlooked. No preaching, no moralizing about sex and drug use. Basically a story about a young girl who confuses love with obsession, a common occurrence among young and not-so-young people. This was a quick read; enjoyed it and would recommend it highly. Have read all of Ms. Conway's bo ...more
Voiceofmadness
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Hard life lessons that were delivered brutally. The first read, I completely hated it because it didn't have the happy ending that I wanted and expected. The final chapters felt like they were taken from a different book. Second time reading it, much better! A second read gives you time to notice things you didn't before, and can see the story clearer. Not the best contemporary but one you'll remember.
Tianna
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

It just felt for the whole book like something was missing, or that I was missing crucial parts in the book as if there were scenes I never read. It was like I had to play a guessing game just to know what the book was about. It had so much potential to be so much better, the story didn't do justice to the short summary on the back because it made it seem that there was so much more to it than there really was.
Grace
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book rarely held my attention and took me quite a long while to get through. I just wanted to strangle Tessa because she was such an idiot to constantly go back to Lucien when he was a) treating her like crap and b) was clearly having some issues that she couldn't nor should have attempted to help him through. I just gave up on her halfway through the book and wished for the book to just end because it was more of a chore to watch her making the same mistakes over and over again.
Lorrie
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting book. I sympathized with Tessa, even though at times I wanted to shake her. I wasn't expecting the ending - I had thought something else was going to happen. The ending felt a little unfinished to me...and there were a couple of storylines that I thought were going somewhere, but then they didn't so I was kind of left with a question mark, but all in all, it was a decent read.
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Tessa and her family move to Buenos Aires and she gets sucked into a world of teens with lots of freedom. She falls in love with the artist Lucien, whose dark moods and creative ideas impress Tessa. But he's not what Tessa's parents want for her, and their sneaking around leads to trouble. Tessa's life spirals out of control, and her love for Lucien is the cause. When Lucien makes a decision that she can't support, she has to decide if her love for him is real.
Christina
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought the story was really great. Actually finished it in a few hours - very rare for a book to capture my attention that deeply. The way Celeste Conway shows how deeply clinical depression affects not only the one who has it, but whoever they are involved with, is spot on. It's a fast read, high tension, and even higher stakes.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: covergasm
Woooow, I've never been so disconnected from a book in my life. For the first time ever all I saw were just words on a page. I think the problem is that the pace was too fast. I mean, this book has over 100 chapters, and only 308 pages. It was a really bland book, and I pretty much had the same indifferent expression from start to finish.
Arimas Jones
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well I dunno what to say. I am torn. The basis and plot were fucked up to the max. And the end was messy and rushed. And I was very upset with that. Now on the other hand the description was gorgeous and the language and creativity it was perfect. I could feel every situation and it was lively and painted beautifully astounding pictures. So I dunno what 2 say. 2.75.
Airelynn Trask
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fletcher
When I first finished this, I thought I hated every solitary thing about it. But now that I look back, a certain nostalgia hits and I remember that no matter how stupid some of the characters were, there were a couple I did like. So my review went from one star to three. Teenagers do stupid things and so a lot of people might be able to relate to this in their own confusing way.
Celeste
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This book was written well, but it was creepy and depressing. The main character was hopelessly in love with a guy that she knew for two weeks even though she knew he was bad for her. Too much drug use, sexual content and creepy characters for me. The kind of book that made you depressed while reading.
Harper
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, this book was dull. Just dull. The plot was poorly written, the "love" was based on art, and looks. The redeeming qualities in this book were the problems with her family. That was a plot, the "love" story was boring and unstable.
Morgan
Aug 18, 2012 added it
It was...confusing, most of the time. (view spoiler) This book was...interesting though.
Karisa
Jul 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up for a dollar and am glad I didn't spend more money on it. The topics in this book were deep, the plot was really interesting but the character development and the even the plot was not really developed. It could have been so much more!
Tanya Kyi
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has the most wonderful settings. It's like reading a contemporary YA with the atmosphere of a vampire novel.
Nicole H.
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
What the hell did I just read. This book was pointless and stupid, and I just wasted my morning reading it.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 08, 2017 07:28AM

• Lovetorn
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Silhouette
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1)
  • Beauty
  • The Académie
  • One Moment
  • Don't You Wish
  • Thou Shalt Not Road Trip
  • Blue Sky Days
  • Grim
Celeste Conway is a published author of children's books and young adult books. Published credits of Celeste Conway include The Melting Season, Where Is Papa Now?, The Goodbye Time, and When You Open Your Eyes.