Start by marking “The Book of Books: The Bible Retold” as Want to Read:
The Book of Books: The Bible Retold

The Book of Books: The Bible Retold

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

Going back to the roots of the biblical writings and texts, this novelistic retelling of the Bible brings fresh insights into the familiar stories. It considers the contexts in which both the Old and New Testaments were shaped and organizes their h
Published January 1st 2012 by Lion Hudson (first published January 1st 2003)

Leah
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to get to review The Book of Books: The Bible Retold. The cover promises "A deceptively simple and brilliant retelling of the stories that make up the Bible." I was looking at this as a possible resource to use in conjunction with the Bible portion of Mystery of History for our next school year. I'm not a big fan of Bible "story books," but I have seen a few good ones; and this one held great promise.

Here is an excerpt from the press release:

Publications and Lion Children’s Books a
Victor Gentile
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trevor Dennis in his new book, “The Book of Books” published by Lion Hudson gives us The Bible Retold.

About the Book: The Bible, the story of God’s people, has been passed down through the generations. But how often does a combination of the complex or outdated language, the extensive genealogy lists, and the unfamiliar culture stand in the way of young readers’ understanding of a truly great story?

In The Book of Books, Trevor Dennis uses his natural gift for storytelling to create a story every
Andrew
I picked up this book from a charity shop in error...that isn't to say I wasn't aware of the subject matter of the book just that I was expecting something different.
For a start I was unaware of it being a book specifically for the younger reader and I was also expecting a book that condensed the bible into a readable narrative...in fairness I guess it achieves this.
I have attempted at numerous times to read the bible front to back but found the genealogy especially in regard the old testament h
This isn’t the Bible but it’s great to have on hand for those moments where a child, or even an adult has a hard time in understanding what is being said in the Bible. This is a re-telling of the stories we all know and love in the Bible, but it’s done in a way that makes it accessible and available for those who don’t know much about the Bible or feel that it’s above them. I admit I too sometimes struggle with all the begats and thous, but I treasure the language and beauty of the Bible, but a ...more
Renee
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Book of Books - The Bible Retold by Trevor Dennis is an insightful, well written re-telling of stories from the Bible recommended for children ages 9 and up. The stories are simple, soundly based on the Bible and is shared in such a way that it will capture the interest of children of all ages.

Here's some information from the publisher:

A fresh and insightful retelling of the Bible, informed by a scholarly understanding of the ancient texts on which it is based.
Going back to the roots of the
Susie Finkbeiner
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always looking for great storybook Bibles for my family to enjoy. This is the storybook Bible for an older child or an adult. It takes the major stories of the Old and New Testaments and retells them in a fresh way. Trevor Dennis has combined prose, poetry, and a bit of history to simplify the main message of the Scriptures.

This is where I need to say one thing: The BIBLE is still and always will be the best source for study and devotional time. "The Book of Books" is not to be used as a re
Wendy Hines
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bible can be overwhelming for a teenager to read. The Book of Books: The Bible Retold has made that a much simpler task. Now, your teen can read the stories from the Bible in a much simpler format, retold in a fashion that they can easily read and relate to. From the story of Mary Meets an Angel to Jerusalem Falls to Peter's Denial, the stories are simply in their nature, yet powerful in their message. Dennis embeds his stories with the quotes and passages from the Bible, yet not deterring f ...more
Maureen Timerman
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Retelling of Bible Stories for the 9+ year old...what a wonderful way to learn the bible.
Read these to my younger Grandchildren ages 5 and 7, and they were asking for more! There are many poignant lessons to be learned, with them understanding what was being said.
An example was the story of the donkey that was laden to the point of collapse...would you walk away and leave the animal without helping? How about if you hated the owner? A resounding "No"...they would help.
Another example is the 23
Rachel
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview, took me a while but I enjoyed it.
Tonytheprof
Rebecca Haasis
Jun 03, 2017
Laís Scholl
Jul 22, 2015
TREVOR DENNIS is Vice Dean at Chester Cathedral, where he has worked since the beginning of 1994. Before that he was Chaplain at Eton College for seven years, and then taught Old Testament Studies at Salisbury and Wells Theological College for nearly 12 years. Trevor is also a regular contributor to BRF. He has published four books on the Old Testament and four collections of stories and meditatio ...more
More about Trevor Dennis...