Start by marking “Otto the Book Bear” as Want to Read:
Otto the Book Bear

Otto the Book Bear

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,476 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
Otto lives in a book and is happiest when his story is being read. Otto is no ordinary storybook character: when no one is looking, he comes to life! Otto loves to walk off of his book's pages, but when his book is taken away while Otto is off exploring, the book bear sets off on a grand adventure to find a new home.

Except...it's an awfully big world for such a small bear
Published January 31st 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published August 1st 2011)

Beverly
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What I liked about this book: I LOVE this book. In fact, this might be my new favorite picture book. It's about a bear and a book - two of my favorite things. The illustrations are brilliant. They look like a combination of either pen and ink or water color. I wouldn't mind having them framed for my library walls. Young children will love the idea of a book character coming to life at night. The happy ending makes it an all around good read. This is an excellent read aloud. I will be ordering th ...more
April Thompson
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Friendship, why it matters? Because we do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone..we find it with another.
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Otto the Book Bear by Katie Cleminson was one of four books that my daughter and I selected on our second trip to the library. The story centers around Otto who loves for his owners to read his book, but Otto's life is not limited to the pages of his story. Otto has the ability to leave the security of his book and explore the outside world. At first he limits his exploration to his owner's home, but when they move and leave his book behind Otto must go in search of a new life outside the pages ...more
Linda
Otto, a little bear in a book, loves when children read about him, but his secret is that when all is quiet, he comes to life and goes exploring "out" of the book. Unfortunately, his family moves, and takes his book with them. Otto is left behind, and happy bear that he is, goes exploring. The world is a big place for this little bear, and there is a nice surprise for him when he discovers the library, and many other friends who sneak out at night. In black outlining and watercolor, Katie Clemin ...more
Donalyn
I loved the ending best, of course! Otto finds a reading community:)
John
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for books about books read reading.
Angelina
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute story for book and bear lovers.
ספרן הלילה
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I'm not a big fan of the art (the reason it's only 4 stars), the story itself and the book as a whole are simply charming. I especially liked the conclusion, which reminded me of The Library Lion. I would not be entirely surprised if this book turns out to be a classic. I, for one, had to add it to my "favorite picture books" shelf.
Sarita
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story. My son's favourite page however is the one with the cats. Keeps going back to it and saying Meauw!
Hayley Zamzow
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This captivating story, Ottp the Book Bear by Katie Cleminson is all about a bear within a book. He enjoys when his story is being read, but when it's not, he can explore outside of those pages. Unfortunately, his book gets left behind when the family he resides with moves. He decides to set off on a journey, which ends up at the library.

This book would be best suited for K-2 grade students, but I certainly enjoyed it at the age of 20.

Otto and his traveling is a sweet story with ups and downs. T
Dolly
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, library
This is such a sweet little story about a bear that lives in a book and loses his home, only to find another home (and lots of friends) at a library. The narrative is short, but engagin and the watercolor illustrations are simple, but effective at helping tell the story. This would be a great book to read at library storytime. Even though our girls are starting to grow out of this type of picture storybook, we all really liked it and enjoyed reading it together. (And any story that highlights th ...more
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With big, clear, soft illustrations and words, Otto will pull readers into his journey and search for a new place to call home.

The world can make us feel so small and alone sometimes, but Otto’s story inspires readers of all ages to keep looking for that place “full of light and hope”.

(view spoiler)

An adorable, warm hug filled with magic and hope!

4/19/12
Jackie
I am so happy this book is finally coming to America because it is completely enchanting. It is the tale of a storybook bear who is his happiest when children are reading his book, but sometimes, when no one is around to read, Otto comes to life and goes on adventures. Alas, during one of his trips, his book was given away. No liking being alone, he sets out to find company and a new home. This is such a magical story about the secret lives of books!
Ann
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really sweet picture book about books, libraries and imagination. The text doesn't overwhelm the images, so children and parents could read this book together. This book would be of special interest to young readers who like to imagine they're miniature people or animals. Yes, this group exists. I meet them sometimes at the library reference desk. :)
Tracie
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Otto the bear lives in a book, but when no one is looking, he crawls out of the story and goes exploring. One day, Otto's book is taken away and he is left behind. Otto bravely packs his bag and heads out in search of a new home.

The only thing cuter than a great big cuddly bear is a teeny-tiny bear with a bright red bag messenger bag.
Connie
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jv
I'll bet this will be a Building Block award nominee. Otto is happy until his family moves away and he gets left alone. My friend, Jenny, will love this one!
Robin
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the sweetest story! I love Otto and I want to take him home with me!
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Melanie
Otto the Bear has a secret: when the house is quiet and dark he escapes from his storybook and wanders the house. He likes to write stories about his nighttime adventures. But one day his family moves away and forget to take him with them.

He makes a plan, packs a bag and wanders the city looking for his people and his home. When he feels that he can't walk any further he comes across a building that is full of books and book friends.
Jessica Maitland
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reminding me of toy story, a storybook character comes to life when no one is watching. Otto the bear leaps from the pages to explore the greater world. As a kid, I dreamt my toys were real and came on journeys with me, I can imagine other children feel the same. I really enjoyed reading this book as it is not just story about surviving out of your comfort zone but finding happiness which when reading for pleasure children should experience from their books.
Netaniel Dempster
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The name of the book is Otto the book bear but he got out of the book. Otto was not alone because people used to read them but then he was all alone because the people were moving. He went to the city to check where they are. He felt very small when he first got in the city.
I like that he found his friends. He found his friends at the library. His friends are book creatures.
Chelsea
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
While this book was a cute, and somewhat cheesy, quick read... It would not be one of the books that I reach for on a regular basis. That is not to say this book was not good or entertaining, it is just not my plate of cookies.
Kathy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Bear lives in a book, but he likes to explore life outside his book. The story is an adventure of what happened one day when he couldn't get back in his book. This is a cute book that had a pre kindergartener and an almost first grader engaged. They enjoyed the illustrations, and the story.
Kay
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-2017
This is a really good story about taking care of your books.
KC
A delightful tale of poor bear who gets left behind only to discover a whole new life. A charming story and great for promoting reading, books, and make-believe.
Rachel Allen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not terribly exciting but I felt myself rooting for Otto. The illustrations make him lovable and the story enjoyable.
Shelly
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly adorable.
Allison
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
So cute!
Furrawn
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite children's books.
Yampersand
¿Qué le pasará a Otto, cuando abandonen su libro? Una historia muy simple, y muy simbólica a la vez, con muchas aristas. Me ha gustado bastante.
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Red Sled
  • No Bears
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • The Lonely Book