Start by marking “Strange Girl Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Strange Girl Omnibus

Strange Girl Omnibus

(Strange Girl Omnibus)

Ten years after the Rapture, a beautiful occultist and her pet demon embark on a road trip to the last open gateway to heaven in hopes of befriending God and escaping hell on earth. A bare-knuckle, action-driven series peppered with social commentary and dark humor, Strange Girl is a story about the bewildering nature of religion, what would happen if the dark future predi ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Image Comics (first published January 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Girl Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Girl Omnibus

Genevieve Trainor
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this. It was heavy-handed at times in its philosophy, but the engaging characters more than made up for it. To be honest, I would have given this 5 stars if it weren't for one thing: Really Bad Editing. It pulls me right out of a story to see something like a "role" we play spelled "roll," or just random apostrophes for no reason. I have learned to be more forgiving about such things, but there's no good excuse for it in an omnibus edition. It's petty and picayune, but the more I ...more
Václav
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Huge ass book with the complete story of the Strange girl named Bethany. The premise of the story is pretty cool. The God is real, ascension happened and all the faithful Christians went to heaven. And the rest is left on Earth, swarmed by creatures from hell. That's so cool story. I really like that. Too much to do with this world. And Rick Remender decided to create the story around girl Beth, left alone on Earth, serving to powerful devil lord Belial. And breaking free and heading towards imp ...more
Aaron
Among the strident noise of the apocalypse, love. And beneath the rubble of homes left to rot by zealots of a horrible breed, hope. These two facets of humanity are all that bind the characters of STRANGE GIRL, though they don't quite realize it until they're bleeding out on the street and facing certain death.

Remender's current work in comics is phenomenal, and so traipsing through his catalogue shouldn't seem like such a monumental task. A surprise, then, it is to find a fully published story
Kyle Bledsoe
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent read. Was pretty much the author working out his own feelings on religion through a hot girl and a snarky demon.
Jim
This comic is such a fascinating idea. Coupled with interesting characters, great art, and an intriguing story. The rapture, Angels and Demons, Lucifer.

Bethany is the best protagonist I’ve read in a long time. But Bloato? Bloato is amazing.

Not only is it a great fantasy comic, but there’s a great underlining (and sometimes overt) discussion of God’s motivations.

So it’s fantastic as a fantasy, but also as a discussion of theology. The introduction is interesting, talking about Rick Remender’s
Patrick
I enjoyed most of this, until it got toward the end. Then I lost interest. some will like this or love it. I'm not one of them.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Perry Gough
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this over the last few days, the complete collection of Strange Girl which is about how Demons rule earth after the rapture.

I found this to be kind of tame and could have done a lot more with the idea. The art work is kind of hit and miss and it just ends up being a mediocre graphic novel.
Breña
Ich bin hin und her gerissen ... Strange Girl gehört zu Remenders Frühwerk und das merkt man. Ich gehe sogar soweit zu behaupten, dass man eine Entwicklung innerhalb der einzelnen Teile (die 2005 bis 2008 entstanden sind) nachvollziehen kann. Mit Fortschreiten der Geschichte wird auch die Geschichte selbst "runder", das Tempo wird ausgewogener, die Charaktere gewinnen an Tiefe. Das Setting selbst bedient sich leider vieler Klischees und die pubertären Witze mochte ich auch nicht.
Für die grafisch
Chris Fluit
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
The most interesting book I’ve read this year is Strange Girl. It’s not a perfect book. Author Rick Remender admits as much in his prologue when he describes some of the things he wished he’d done differently. It’s flawed, but in interesting ways. It’s thought provoking. It’s personally revealing and engaging. It’s funny. It’s occasionally poignant. It’s about the journey more than the destination, though the destination itself is fairly interesting. It’s Strange Girl by Rick Remender and it’s u ...more
Claire
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-image
I just shed some real tears at this ending. Wow. Amazing story. Maybe don't read this series if you get offended when people question the concept of God, though, because that is 100% the content of this book. It's directed at Christians, specifically. The intro had Remender being like "this was basically just a way for me to work out my issues with religion and Christianity" soooooo. Heads up, I guess?

Bloato is a pal. What a friend 😭😭😭
Chandra
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed the characters and the relationships between them. It was the most authentic aspect of the story. I'm not entirely sure where the theology or eschatology are grounded beyond a passing reading of an English translation of a Christian bible through a U.S. "Reason and evidence for everything" perspective. It was an interesting story, and I wondered how it would end until it ended, which is good.
Amber
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
I keep stumbling on his works without realizing I'll just never like him lol. Art is pretty although could have been storyboarded more smoother as some panels are hard to tell what's happening in passages of time between them.
Matthew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Overall good art and story. If I were to recommend a book about the struggles of heaven and hell it would be Lucifer. Strange Girl lacks it's depth and ambiance, but it has some neat ideas in it.
Nuno Ribeiro
Rick Remender's work is just as personal as Craig Thompson's Blankets The two authors produced great art with different aproaches, comming from the same place. They had a religious upbringing and somewhow comics became a way to express their inner conflicts. They wrote about different things and at some point it became about religion.

What Rick Remender did was unexpected. He created a dystopian religious extravaganza, starting from a quite legitimate premise, in sci-fi terms: "so what if the rap
Wayne McCoy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Strange Girl Omnibus' collects all 18 issues of the series created by Rick Remender. At over 450 pages, it's definitely quite a collection, but it's also a labor of love by the author.

The story takes place on an Earth where the Rapture has happened. Little Bethany lives with her family until that day, but when they are taken and she is left behind. Ten years later, the world has been taken over by demons and Bethany finds herself enslaved by one. Along the way, she's found out she can read the
Nutkin
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While I technically read all of the issues on the weekend, this is the easiest way for me to keep track of that.

Strange Girl is definitely one of my favourite comics that I've read in a long time. I really enjoyed how Remender used these interested and sometimes conflicted characters to discuss questions of religious dogma, God, the afterlife, the apocalypse, atheism, ethics and love. He tackled questions that I have pondered in a fun and engaging storyline, with just enough intrigue and horror
Paul Allard
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Hell on earth after the Rapture
This omnibus comic collection deals with Beth whose family were taken by God during the Rapture and who is left on Earth as Lucifer takes over. A power struggle between demons then ensues. She escapes with her “guardian demon”: many adventures ensue as she tries to escape from Belial’s attention. She meets many characters along the way who either help her or betray her. Many adventures ensue as demons battle against one another and then against the forces of God. A
Dean Olson
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, owned-comics
This books is very shallow when it cames to its take on religion. Its obviously its the writer expressing his views on the idea of God, heaven, hell, and faith. But it reads like any argument you probably heard between an atheist and someone of faith. I still really enjoyed the overall book. Fun characters and snappy dialogue. The book was really rushed in the beginning but slowed its past towards the end.
Austin
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Strange Girl is sort of Fun, cool artwork, but not a must-read. The quirky art style transposes nicely with this sort of cataclysmic Biblical judgement and the end times. This little girl and her brother are left behind as their family rises to Heaven (I know, funny right?) and the rest of the world falls apart as Hell opens up and demons start taking over all the local business. Years later, the girl is now a woman and working at a bar serving demons.
Sara Q
Read in the same week as Library of Mount Char ... interesting overlapping themes between the two.
I never actually liked any of the characters, but the reflections and debates about religion were interesting enough to keep me going. I would love to take the conversation with god as an excerpt and use as a discussion prompt with open-minded people.
Alex Firer
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
The atmosphere sells a work that's a little light on structure and jokes that land. It's almost bizzare how much better Remender is at Marvel work than his own stuff. Maybe his odd doomsday tinged voice does better in a universe we recognize than in something of his own creation where there would be less contrast between setting and action.
Chad
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. The art was terrible and hard to follow. The story meandered and didn't make a lot of sense. Definitely not what I expected from Rick Remender. His current work is all very solid.
Hannah McWhorter
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was a lot of the author working out his feelings on religion, but I found it interesting to go on that journey with him. It gets wrapped up in itself sometimes. I highly rate it because I do enjoy the characters, and I am a sucker for theological themes.
Ruth
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting ideas, decent characters, but the story is jumbled and often gets stuck or bogged down. Plus, the story and characters get rebooted too often, and it ends out nullifying a lot of the meaning they could have had. In the end, it just felt unnecessary.
Natasha
Sep 26, 2014
Val Kardy
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #160 Strange Girl Omnibus by Rick Remender 1 1 Dec 01, 2015 12:17PM
  • Death Vigil, Vol. 1
  • Finder Library Volume 1
  • Sky Doll
  • R.I.P.D. Volume 1
  • Echo: The Complete Edition
  • Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • The Private Eye
  • Greendale
  • Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened
  • Invincible, Vol. 20: Friends
  • Artesia Volume 1
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Strange Girl (4 books)