Start by marking “The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  443 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Hold on to Your Buns, the Burger Revolution Has Begun! The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planettakes the popular veggie burger to the next level of freshness and flavor, with more than one hundred daringly delicious, internationally inspired vegan burgers-burgers that stack up to any patty around (meat-fullormeat-free) and will wow not only your vegetarian and vegan friends, ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Fair Winds Press (MA) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet

Jessi
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the recipes in here were good. However, it irritates me to no end that the title claims to have 101 veggie burger recipes. This is a lie. There is no getting around it. Some of the recipes are for cookies- and the author basically says "I know these are really cookies, but I'm calling them burgers". What is the point? You're not eating it on a bun with condiments. It is not a burger. Call a cookie a cookie. I got this book, expecting that many burger recipes. I would have been fine if th ...more
Jackie
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many tofu, seitan, and tvp recipes for my liking. Was looking for traditionsla vegetables like corn, broccoli, and spinach.
Jen V
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of these look really unique but others look yummy. There seem to be lots of ingredients that go into these. I love all the pictures, though!
Taffnerd
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Fun to flip through but the recipies all make really soft and mushy burgers. There's got to be a way to make a veggie burger with a bit of tooth, right? I didn't find it here.
Rachel
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed my attention while I was looking at the stacks in the library. I've been wanting to experiment with veggie burgers so I was so happy to see it!

I was disappointed to see so many recipes that use tofu, TVP, and tempeh. I am not vegan, but if I was, I don't think that I would choose to eat these products very often.

I was also bummed to see so many recipes with canned beans that calls for pureeing. I have nearly perfected my falafel recipe (using soaked, uncooked beans. My experie
Lauren
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heh. It is an okay book for flavor ideas and some minor advice, but the recipe I made came out mushy. Most if not all of the recipes are similar, using flour as a binder which makes them mushy. I was hoping for a book that would help me in creating a burger with texture in the center. The second one I made wasn't much better.

It is a neat book and has some neat ideas, but there needs to be more variety as another reviewer said. Most do contain flour as a binder (even if it might be a different ty
Mike
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've made two of these recipes so far and they were both solid. Other recipes I have used for veggie burgers get smashed, fall apart, and are super messy when you go to eat them but the two recipes from this book have yielded patties with good consistencies that held up on the grill and when eating them.

The "Bacon Cheeseburger" is great- a really interesting/different recipe- but it turned out real tasty. As other reviewers note, I'd say that this isn't for soy free/ gluten free kids (the book
Erin
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-adored
I love this cookbook. I think I've used it more than any other cookbook on my shelf. We have probably 6 packages of leftover frozen burgers in the freezer now from the recipes. The variety is fantastic - from middle eastern to chinese to american. Really fun and easy - although I will say the recipes tend to take longer than the ones from my quick and easy or 30-minute cookbooks. But they are very tasty.
Sofia Correa
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I was actually a bit disappointed with this book, I expected less tofu and more vegetables in the recipes, veggie burgers are actually a lot better with veggies in it! Also, I bought it hoping I would find 101 VEGGIE BURGER RECIPES but instead I got COOKIE RECIPES. Guys, cookies are cookies. That's it. Please do not lie to us to get us to pay for your book. Some of the burgers I cooked were nice, some others not so much, just don't get your expectations too high.
VeganMedusa
I made my 5th recipe from this book the other night for potluck - Seitanic Stuffers stuffed with mushroom, garlic and onion. They were a hit.
So of the 5 burgers I've made, 4 were a success. I'm gonna go ahead and give this book 4 stars. It's definitely one I'll be using again and again, unlike some books I could mention that sit in the drawer unused for too long.
Grace
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan
I got this out from the library to see if I would be interested in buying it (I love Newman's other cookbooks). The recipes are interesting, seem tasty, and stretch the definition of a veggie burger but in the end it was too many burgers for me (I have way too many cookbooks, so I'm trying to be more careful to only buy ones I'll use regularly).
Katy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just bought this book and its so cool. Its laid out really well with lots of fun notes and whatnot and there are tons of pictures (which I really like in a cookbook.) And lots of crazy fun new recipes...like dessert burgers.

Yeaaaa, fun new book for me!
I actually want to go buy some more copies for my friends! That's how much I dig this book
Katherine
So there were a few burgers in here I'd like to give a try: Bacon Cheesburger; Aloha Teriyaki Burger; Zucchini Mushroom Burger; and the Baba Ghanoush Burger. I also liked that there were side dish and sauce recipes in there, too.
I was really put off by the recipes at the beginning that were cookies or pancakes but called "burgers". Those aren't burgers, those are cookies or pancakes!! Geez...
Adrian
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is interesting and has some really fun burgers. I cooked my way through this book bringing various burgers as lunches at work. Some of these burgers are definitely designed for serving fresh on the dinner plate, but may of them worked fine. Some were gems, some I really didn't like. A lot of them required pantry items I do not usually have around.
Tracy
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy and fun to read, though I won't be trying any of the recipes out, as the ingredients aren't readily available where I live, which means spending a small fortune on sending away for them. Also, I had to look up some of the ingredients, as the American is used, i.e. cilantro is coriander, eggplants are aubergine, etc. Argh, such a pain! Glad it's a library book, as I would be selling it!
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book uses lots and lots of binders and hardly any veggies and hardly any real food. Everything was overly processed which was not at all what I was looking for for the best veggie burgers in the world.
Kelly
Feb 10, 2014 is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't yet gotten around to reviewing The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet - but you can see some of the recipe's I've tried here: http://www.easyvegan.info/tag/the-bes...
Lynda
101 globally inspired vegan burgers written by Joni Marie Newman who co-authored "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions." This book is beautifully illustrated. I can't wait to try some of these new tastes. The ingredients are things you can buy anywhere. The recipes look easy.

Shelly
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've made 10 or so recipes out of this book so far, and they've all been winners.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is incredibly badass. It's got a ton of recipes and they're all things I'd never thought of, plus tons of recipes for sauces and things.
Brandy
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Planning to buy this one. I liked most of the recipes I tried, and there's still so many that I haven't.
Daniel Schulte
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! We made the Bacon Cheeseburgers and they were awesome. I can't wait to try some more of these.
Jo
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't made any yet but am eager to try several of these recipes. Unique combinations that look tasty.
Emily
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan, cookbook
Creative...but half of the recipes aren't even burgers... Soy was an ingredient that was used too much for my taste as well.
Lusitarius
Toivon reseptikirjojen sisältävän kuvia jokaisesta ohjeesta. Monet kirjan resepteistä kuullosti omalle kohdalleni liian haastavilta.
Sorenconard
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a 3.5 rating. It's a fun book which will get your creative juices flowing. Some of he excution isn't up
My alley though
Abraham Ray
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting cookbook.
Joye
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, vegetarian
Very interesting and original compilation of veggie burger recipes< I am looking forward to trying several of these.
Jeff
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good burgers.
Josalyn
Jan 05, 2012
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food For Every Occasion
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
I am just a regular gal who loves to cook and bake...ESPECIALLY for friends and family. Self taught, and still learning, I spend most of my spare time in the kitchen. When I am not in the kitchen, I really enjoy knitting, painting, wasting endless hours on the internet, hiking with my husband and the girls, traveling, reading, and most of the other stuff regular gals enjoy. I am currently residing ...more
More about Joni Marie Newman...