Start by marking “Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport

Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Join Richard Scarry’s beloved characters Huckle Cat, Sally, and Lowly Worm for a day of adventure and discovery at the airport. Airplane fans will get an up-close look at the terminal, the control tower, the runway, and more! Featuring over 70 labeled words and a sticker sheet! Have hours of fun with this busy adventure from the one and only Richard Scarry!
Published April 24th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I kind of hate reading this with my kid, but he loves it. Luckily he will look st it on his own and be entertained for a long time.
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
How I loved the airport as a child! It was so exciting, all that hustle and bustle. My favorite parts were parking at the top of the "round and round" and riding the shuttle to the far terminals. ("Please hold on to a hand rail. Also, notice the lighted display for the next destination.") Richard Scarry's cheerful illustrations make this a fun "learning" book.
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
so weird and whimsical! has a bit of a story too, not just labels. the jets fighting like dinosaurs are a personal favorite. though the plane car driving up an escalator is pretty great too. also bratwurst balloon and mustard basket <3
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A decect little story, great for building vocabulary related to airports and travel.
Lumi / Otso
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
both kids (3 and 6) love it. it's fun to explore, and they love looking for Mr. Frumble and his hat on each page.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Monkey peel banana."
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son loves this book!
Naturally, this book was a hit! My two-year-old loves all of his Richard Scarry books, from the original to the ones like this that are written by the "Richard Scarry Corporation," to be specific. This is missing some of the funny asides and rhetorical questions that feature in the older books by Richard Scarry himself, but there are still tons of silly and interesting things to point to and talk about on every page. Bonus: This book taught my son the word "bratwurst."

Update: As of January 2016,
J Marsano
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I bought this because I love aircraft and airports. Accordingly, I would like my son to like airports. Also, I loved Richard Scarry when I was a kid. I was pretty sure Da was going to score with this one. Like I often have, I made a mistake.

Some people have called this book "plotless", but it does have a plot. It's just not a good plot. A worm. A family. A crazy unreconstructed Prussian uncle and a dirigible bratwurst that's acres big. What could go wrong?

Buy it for the illustrations and the com
Emily Garrison
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This busy little book is one of my son's favorites! Huckle, his sister and his dad begin the story by heading out for a sailing trip but it begins to rain, putting a damper on the sailing. They stop by a gas station on their way home and while they're there, an airplane pulls up to get fuel too. The kids get invited to hop into the airplane to fly to the airport for a tour of the airport. The kids hop in and they experience all that the airport has to offer. They experience parts of the airport ...more
Sarah Adamson
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
As with all Scarry books, this had so much to offer and kept us going for at least 40 minutes whilst waiting at the gate at the airport on our recent trip.
The cat family are supposed to be going on a boat ride but it starts to rain. A local eccentric millionaire - Rudolf Von Flugel offers to take the kids to the airport and proceeds to show them every aspect of the airport whilst driving around, inside and out, in his strange car and then in his personal hot-dog shaped hot air balloon. A fun ad
Ashley Simpson
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-350
This book is about a brother and sister getting to visit an airport to learn about how airplanes work, and all the work put into airplanes. They get to see the different people who do things like fuel the planes and check people in and even get to ride with a pilot!

This is a cute book that offers a big vocabulary and a fun adventure to the airport. A lot of kids don't get to experience airports at a young age, so it's a new world to them when reading a book like this. I enjoyed the storyline and
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I wish my daughter didn't love this book so much. We've read it so many times that she's memorized it. We bought it during a trip to see family at the LaGuardia airport during a layover. Since then she constantly asks when we can go back to the airport.

The book does a great job of pointing out vocabulary at an airport, with a few exceptions. My daughter now thinks that every airport comes complete with a Bratwurst Balloon and a German fox named Mr. VonFlugel.
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Next week we will see four different airports. So I purchased this book to start the excitement. Bingo! We read it twice in row before the bed time and we had problem to put it down. I had to promise to read it in the morning. Lucy decided she will use the book as a checklist/scavenger hunt at the airport.
Classic Scarry style... lots of good vocab but they always feel too busy to me. Not a huge fan of the illustration style but it does the trick My I have found with the tiniest of readers. My little thought the hot dog balloon was funny especially when it pops!
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: little-ones
While I think this book can be silly my boys love pointing out all of the strange things going on in the pictures. It is a good picture book for them to look at.
May 31, 2014 added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A Day At The Airport is all about the action of an ordinary or not so ordinary airport. Huckle & Sally enjoy a personal tour with Mr. Von Flugel.
Muhamad Taufan Setiawan
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
this shit really made my chilhood. :D
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun overview of an airport (especially if you are preparing to go on a trip and you want to get kids comfortable with the ideas before you get there).
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Actually written by his son using the name Huck Scarry under the Richard Scarry corporation- copywrite 2001.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: airplanes, blimps, travel
A good story and the usual excellent Richard Scarry illustrations. It's a short book compared to his "big" books, but the story is fun. Ever see a blimp that looks like a hot dog with mustard?
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
It's a Richard Scarry's book. Need I say more, it's always a good read.
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
A little long for a toddler, but now that he's older the story didn't capture him. Great pictures though.
Aug 12, 2008
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • Bear in a Square
  • I Love Trains!
  • Come Back, Moon
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Bedtime for Bear
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Bear in the Book