Start by marking “Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2)

Second Grave on the Left

(Charley Davidson #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  41,787 ratings  ·  3,313 reviews
If you hang around with dead people, life can deliver a whole world of trouble.

Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time P.I. and full-time Grim Reaper. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible...

When Charley and Cookie, her best friend slash receptionist, have to track down a mi
Paperback, UK, 320 pages
Published January 5th 2012 by Piatkus Books (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Second Grave on the Left, please sign up.
KG
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  41,787 ratings  ·  3,313 reviews

Meredith
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I needed a pick me up on a gloomy day in New Orleans, so I turned to the entertaining snark of Charley Davidson!

In this installment, which takes place a week after the events of book one, Charley is investigating a missing person. She battles with faux FBI agents, hit men, and of course, some demons from hell all at the same as serving as the grim reaper. Her relationship with Reyes also takes an interesting turn.

The last few pages left me wanting more. I love reading this series--it’s a great
Shannon
I love Charley.

I love Reyes.

I love the twisty mystery.

I love the incorporeal sexytimes.

I hate waiting for the next book.

That is all.
Julie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones is a 2011 St. Martin’s Press publication.

When a friend of Cookie’s goes missing, Charley is on the case. However, Charley has a lot going on in her personal life right now, as well. Charley has absorbed the fact that Reyes is literally the son of Satan. But, right now, he is haunting her after leaving his corporeal body, with the intention of dying, and won’t tell her where his body is.

The mystery is great! Very solid, twisty, lots of big revelations.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
”If at first you don’t succeed, failure may be your thing.”
- T-shirt

Don’t worry, Darynda Jones succeeded. Twice.

The second time around our favorite grim reaper gets into all kinds of trouble. She has three cases to solve and a messy love life to deal with. The man of our her dreams is in danger and Charley will move heaven and earth to help him. Who wouldn’t?

Reyes is even more mysterious now than he was in the first book when we knew nothing about him other than how incredibly handsome he is.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
“For the first time in my life, I was in a shoot-out. A real, honest-to-goodness shoot-out with a bad guy. And, apparently, we both sucked.”

While I wasn't as floored by the first installment of the series as much as my other paranormal-loving brethren, this one entertained. While the first was drenched in humor - some of it funny, some of it just silly - this one dials it down a notch to where an actual story and personality can start shining through. I laughed aloud at least once - earning me a
Jilly
Not as good as the first book, but I love Charley, so that makes it okay. She is always funny, and that may seem unrealistic to some people, but I know people like her. Well, my husband. I don't care what the situation, he will crack jokes. We've maybe actually had a fight in our 26 years together twice at the most. Why? Because we end up joking around when we get mad and then laugh. It just doesn't work to fight with someone who is perpetually funny. Just today, someone was sending us groups te ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*2.5 stars*

I really, really wish that I liked this series, but I struggled so much with Second Grave on the Left.

Though the audiobook was well narrated, I had to push myself to listen. I hate the "I know what's best for you"-types. Issues with the plot dragging, lack of chemistry between the two "supposed" love interests, and just... blah. I don't really like Charlie, though her humor actually works at times. Just not what I wanted it to be.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I just can't anymore.

I am a huge fan of PNR and urban fantasy, really I am. But this series is ALL OVER THE PLACE! Charley just always has a snappy comment. I for real do not get the whole Reyes thing. Like there's just this attraction between them? And yet I am supposed to believe it???

And just like book 1 the plot was all over the place. Are we investigating someone missing or focusing on Reyes? Because I don't like the back and forth.

Anyways it's safe to say this series isn't for me despite e
Kat Valentine
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Darynda's writing!!! Her characters are so awesome from the coolest grim reaper charley Davidson to best friend/office girl cookie to mr son of Satan reyes!! Hot on another case looking for cookies friend mimi who has disappeared with out a trace. The girls know theirs foul play and their on it.between confrontation 's with bad guys to shootouts theirs a whole lot of action and laugh's along the way!! And some hot romance with are fave bad boy reyes!!!
Anna M.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Cute and funny.... Kept me interested and I will be continuing on with the series.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I love Charley and Reyes and of course the rest of the characters (Cookie, Uncle Bob and Dad, etc..) and the crime of the dead too. Charley is a funny and strong character but then she has to be with all the dead people giving her a hard time or hanging around her all the time asking for help. I really good series.

re-read review
What can I say about Charley and Reyes. They're great together. Charley is so funny but always manage to get hurt no matter how much she tries not to but being a grim rea
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I gave FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT a mostly positive review in spite of myself because I did like the mystery elements and I thought the antihero love interest, Reyes, was intriguing. My hope was that the author would realize that the childish sense of humor of the main character was dragging down the tone of the book and it would disappear in later books. After reading SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT, I'm no longer inclined to give the author the be
Bonnie
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, it’s official. Charley Davidson is one of my most favorite book characters of all time. Oh my gosh I love this girl. Yes, I’m having a silly fan-girl moment where I end up saying things like, ‘I’m going to be Charley Davidson for Halloween!” She’s not just funny, she is absolutely hilarious and I cannot get enough. If you've read the first novel (which you definitely should before reading this one or you'll be super duper confused) then you'll remember laughing practically every s
Giselle
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Bahahahahaha. I'm still laughing. I think I liked this second book even better than the first. Darynda definitely didn't slack off with book #2. She gave us another great, fabulous, funny as heck novel.

What a ride!!! Charley is back to her old tricks and witty sarcasm. I found the plot in this one much more interesting and equaling a wild roller coaster ride. She is working on a new case, trying to solve the mystery behind Mimi's disappearance; Someone is hiding a big secret from way back in hi
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 3.5 "Abso-freaking-lutely" Loved Hearts!! :D

"If it has tires or testicles, it's gonna give you trouble. — Bumper Sticker”

“Never Be Afraid To Dart Around In Public, Humming The Mission: Impossible Theme Song. — T-Shirt”

Second Grave on the Left dishes out Darynda Jones’ trademarks – humour, likeable and charming characters, and a hot romance – in all their glory, and once again ensures a sure-fire win for fans of this brilliantly written and unputdownable series.

“I sort of got of
Dianne
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that both life and death have Charley’s life running on crazy as she not only discovers that her secret lover and protector, Reyes, is truly the Son of Satan with a death wish, but a friend of a friend has gone missing and she must find her. Does the missing woman harbor a secret that could get her killed? Is Charley risking her own life hunting for her?

A delicious blend of humor and suspense kept me turning page after page in Darynda Jones’ SECOND GRAVE ON THE LEFT. Filled with great o
Hollis
Still waiting to love this series and/or the characters, they each seem to take turns being ridiculous or dumb but then redeem themselves later so it's hard to stay mad too long, but I liked the plot of this one more than book one. There was something of a twist to the mystery/Murder of the Week and I loved that bit. It's still a bit OTT on the humour and is almost always not appropriate for the moment but it's also still kinda fun ish?

I have to say, though, I'm getting whiplash on the romance
Sana Zameer

I'm Charlotte Davidson: private investigator, police consultant, all around badass. Or I could've been a badass had I stuck with those lessons in mixed martial arts. I was only in that class to learn how to kill people with paper."

Why have I discovered this series so late! I love Charley! She's my new book girlfriend. She's my BFF!!
And Reyes ...sigh Hotter than hell! He was a bit of a jerk in this one. But I get it. He's trying to protect Charley. But she is such a kickass girl. I love her attit
Sandra
2.5 stars Oh Charley, Charley, Charley. Just when I think I might be starting to like you, you show me what a truly selfish and short-sighted bitch you really are.

Lets start at the beginning. Ms. Jones finally found that correct mixture of saucyness and snark that comes across more endearing than annoying. Charley was still quick witted but she came across more as a real person. I have to admit though, I still don't feel a connection with any of the characters.

I know what Jones is trying to do w
Jen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Oh my! I'm having so much fun listening to the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. To me, it's a mix of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series and Patricia Brigg’s Mercy Thompson series. This is a fun and refreshing paranormal series that is new to me even though it's been around for a while.

The main character is Charlotte “Charley” Davidson. She's a private investigator that works with her police officer Uncle Bob to help him solve cases. Although Charley is a good PI, her skills that r
Hershey
I abso-freaking-lutely loved it! (I totally stole that one from Charley.)

Charley is as badass and kickass as ever!

Reyes is as hot and enigmatic as ever!

The story is as twisty and mysterious as ever!

My love for this series is as strong as ever!

That is all.

And now, have a good laugh :)

"As a matter of fact, my toes were recently christened in an odd game of Spin the Bottle and one-too-many margaritas.”
“Could you introduce me?”
I hefted myself upright and wrestled off my socks, wiggling the bed ju
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle monthly deal for Feb 2018 $2.99

3.5 But rounded up for the overall concept and love of the first book.

“IF IT HAS TIRES OR TESTICLES, IT’S GONNA GIVE YOU TROUBLE. —BUMPER STICKER”

Just a quick side note, the quotes before all of the chapters are all hilarious and one of my favorite parts of the book. They are fun to just flip through and read for a chuckle.

Ah, this one is really Charley knows best…..but does she really? I tended to think she did not. I still very much enjoyed thi
Krystin Rachel
"Yeah, but what happens if life hands me pickles?"

I didn't love it like the first one, but it still delivered what was expected.

Badass lead. Out of body sexytime. A twisty mystery. A light, funny read.

As someone who regularly uses humour in any situation, appropriate or not (mostly not), in order to break tension/quell anxiety/make things awkward/because I just can't resist, Charley is definitely one of my favourite characters I've met because she speak to that part of my soul. Some may thin
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*3.5 Stars*

Agh and here we are. I have zero time to write a review, but I am going to do my best to make time to come back and add some of the awesome quotes (my fav part to show) I stashed away and to express my feelings for this book.

This series is so...not what I expected. On the one hand, I love parts of it. On the other hand...I need more Reyes and I need less religious talk. So. While Charley was WAY better in this one, meaning she wasn't tooooooo jokey, it wasn't enough to make me love t
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Second read:

Things got better, I guess because of the fact that I know what's going to happen to Charley and Reyes. I'm not going to even try to convince you that I'm reading this series for another reason. Because I'm not.

4 stars. I'm weak ;_;

First read:

Ooooh kay. Nothing happened. No, drama llama happened. Lots of Reyes-related drama llama.

There were things that I kind of liked in this one. I’m having déjà vu, aren’t you? Anyways, I kind of liked Charley’s character development. I like that Re
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Second Grave on the Left is book two in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

The humor continues in this second installment of Charley Davidson. It’s over-the-top ridiculous, but so much fun. Expect to laugh out loud.

Charley is one unusual character. Her personality, fearlessness, and sauciness just add to the whole thing. Cookie is Charley’s friend, neighbor, and co-worker. She is a great sidekick. She’s got Charley’s back and brings her own humor into the mix. The main plot revolves a
Duchess Nicole
Snarky, sassy, and silly Charley is back! There is another mystery to solve and with the help of her best friend and personal assistant, Charley once again is on the hunt for a killer.

Reyes is attempting to drive her crazy, though...between using his sexy self to drive Charley wild with lust and his staunch intent to kill his corporeal body for a myriad of reasons, the son of Satan seems to hinder Charley's life more than help her. But he does add that sexy element to the book, and keeps this s
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Book 2, the cases to solve begins with Cookie's missing friend, the mystery of a dead guy in Cookies trunk and finding Reyes human body being ravaged by demons.

Even though I felt the romance was even less in this book than the first, I am still very much entertained by Charley and the many side characters.

I find that I am a fan of Darynda Jones' humor and story telling. I look forward to what Charley gets herself into in book 3 and hope that we get more of Reyes. He's a fantastic Hero when we d
Aly Locatelli
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5.

If it weren't for the fact that Reyes is such a dickwad, I would've enjoyed it more. Garrett and Charley need to happen already.
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)

If I have learned anything from Charley during the 600+ pages we've shared together, it's from her lessons in statement writing. So, in honor of Charley's mad writing skills, my review goes something like this ...

I read the book. It was brilliant. Reyes was hot. It was funny too.

The end.

... Pretty good, right?

Since the reason for such a simplistic (but also highly efficient) review won't make much sense to those of you who haven't read the story, I'm goi

• Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)
NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. As a born storyteller, she grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley Davids ...more

Charley Davidson (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
  • Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3)
  • Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
  • The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10)
  • Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11)
“I stop fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now. T-shirt” 423 likes
“IF IT HAS TIRES OR TESTICLES, IT’S GONNA GIVE YOU TROUBLE. —BUMPER STICKER” 266 likes