Start by marking “First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)

First Chosen

(Tears of Rage #1)

On her twenty-first birthday, Julianna frees an ancient god of vengeance, from his thousand-year prison. In his "gratitude," the god names her his high priest and commands her to lead his people to greatness once again. However, it is now a capital crime for any of Julianna's people to worship one of the five ancient gods - the punishment is the destruction of the offender ...more
Published June 10th 2011

To ask other readers questions about First Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Chosen

J.R.
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm torn with this particular review, because I know that Gallowglas is a tremendous writer and I know what he's capable of, having already reviewed the excellent short that is Jaludin's Road.

Having said that, I cannot in good conscience give this a 4, I agree with another reviewer who pointed out that it's more of a 3.75. It's a good work, but it didn't quite blow me away and there were bits that niggled at me to the detriment of the work.

Our protagonist Julianna is very much the coming of age
Ren Bedell
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book
An interesting world where gods and different factions of humans are battling away. The characters are interesting and the writing is good. The main drawback of the novel is that it is too short. There needed to be more character interaction to build them up and allow the reader to get to know them better. The book also ends in the middle of the story. Overall I really enjoyed the story though.
Jon
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
After finishing First Chosen, it's immensely clear that M. Todd Gallowglas is a tremendous writer. He managed to pen an original story with believable characters and overarching celestial machinations. Our protagonist Julianna clearly undergoes several transformations and developments along the way, while other perspectives provide the reader with multiple viewpoints and insights into the happenings.

Part of the reason for my average rating was the sheer amount of characters and POVs in a relativ
Tammy
3.75 Stars!

OK, I probably need to explain the 3.75 star rating. It's an odd number, true, but although I thoroughly enjoyed this story there was something nagging at me while I read it. I finally figured out as I finished and my problem was I wanted a little more. A little more background into the hierarchy of gods, a little more depth into the characters and a little more World-building.
Having said that, this novel did not disappoint me at all. I felt the premise was unique, the battles and ty
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2011/10/indie-book-review-first-chosen-volume-i.html

I have been lucky enough to be asked to review First Chosen by the author himself. M. Todd Gallowglas. This is a part of the Blog Tour de Force. First Chosen is set in a beautiful dark and epic fantasy world. It is about a girl (a duchess) named Julianna, who has been chosen as the Lord Morigahn (high priest) to protect and lead the Morigahnti (followers of Grandfather Shadow), physically
Lisa Cox
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure at first if First Chosen was "my kind of fantasy." It's a little darker than I usually enjoy, and there are a few more fight scenes than I tend to like. But the imagination of the world-building hooked me, and I love the strong female protagonist in Julianna. Our daughters should be taught that girls can do anything a boy can do (might take a different procedure, but it can be done) and that they don't have to sit around waiting for some guy to rescue them or make their lives compl ...more
Katy
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy w/ rich mythologies and strong world-building
Recommended to Katy by: M. Todd Gallowglas
Shelves: ebook
“First Chosen” is a complex story, multi-layered and containing a rich mythology and large amount of world building. I was impressed with the word that Gallowglas has apparently put into creating not only his world, but its various cultures, mythologies, religions and even languages. The rich interactions of his characters fill the story with a sense that you know these people and you grow to care very much what happens to them.

I can’t really explain the plot too well without spoiling some of th
Nathan Garrison
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the title implies, this book features a "chosen one". Yet, the author managed to kept this trope fresh by doing away with prophecies and getting right inside the minds of mythical beings as they force the "chosen" status upon main character, Julianna.

The book starts with a bang and continues at breakneck pace, giving readers barely a moment to breathe. The action is tense and exciting, filled with swords and guns and sorcery. Julianna barely escapes death on multiple occasions. Despite her sk
Scott
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
First Chosen by M. Todd Gallowglas follows the birth and life of Julianna Taraen. At birth she is imbued with the faith of the Saent of Grandfather Shadow as a hidden gift that will come into play at a point later in her life. Because of this unwanted gift her life is visited by tragedy on a regular basis as the Goddess of Lies Yrgaeshkil seeks to manipulate Julianna into using the gift at a time and in a way that will be to her own benefit. The plot is woven very skillfully and I can't really s ...more
Shay West
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
In a world where gods and goddesses reign supreme, mortals must choose their path, and which gods they will follow. They must choose carefully, because following some gods can mean death.

On the day of her birth, Julianna Taraen was blessed by a Saent of one of the ancient gods, Grandfather Shadow. He has been banished, forced to endure imprisonment for a thousand years.
He bides his time, waiting for the time when Julianna will call out to him, and free him.

When she finally frees Grandfather Sha
Jen Wylie
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I love this book and it ended way to quickly! An intriguing world and mythology. The characters were excellent. The fight scenes are fantastic (I wish I could write fight scenes like that!) Happy to hear this is part of a series and I would definitely recommend as a great epic fantasy read.
The missing half a star is me wishing there was a bit more connection to the main characters. The characters themselves were great, however I love to see more of how they are feeling, more emotion.
April
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Very good story indeed. This one came highly recommended, and with very good reason. Strong characters, interesting world, neat but familiar pantheon gods. Not happy it is part of a series... Wasn't expecting that, but oh well. What can you do? If I were going to mass market this book I would have the author rewrite the opening... I find so many foreign, hard (actually I found impossible) to pronounce names daunting, and almost gave up before the story started, which would have been a real loss. ...more
Rachel
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it

This book is a captivating, complex read. It is a tale of many realms, creatures and the battle for power. Our central character, Julianna, is headstrong, beautiful and a great character to fall in love with.

Any fan of the genre will be missing out if they do not read this epic tale, and first time readers of fantasy will be sucked in by the descriptive, fast paced writing. It is a dark world of magic, power struggles, Gods, desires, and battles for supremacy.

The characters have substance, and
Gregory Close
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased - I met the author at WorldCon and shared a space with him there, but my enjoyment of this book was genuine. It reads very fast, the prose is clean and sharp as a rapier, yet doesn't miss out on complexity or world building. Gallowglas has described this novel as a cross between "Game of Thrones" and "The Three Musketeers" but I found it more similar to the Malazan stories than A Song of Ice and Fire. The magic is dark and powerful and very real and there is a rich, barely touched his ...more
C.C. Cole
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
“First Chosen: Tears of Rage” is a dark fantasy ride-of-a-read that centers on the lead female character, Julianna, who finds herself entwined in political and divine intrigue as she summons powerful forces to her aid at her darkest hour. What’s also interesting are the events following the darkest hour; her journey continues, with a complex world of good vs. evil, pushing the danger with bladed action and emotional reaction, part of the greatness of epic stories. My only critique is some confus ...more
Eric
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy
A good book, but really too short. It reads like the first half of a first installment, though there is a completed narrative arc.

Where this book is best is world-building, particularly in the form of cosmology. The settings' gods and other supernatural beings are fascinating, and several make appearances as characters. In the tradition of older polytheist religions, they have their own agendas, desires, and squabbles.

The political structure is mostly hinted at, but what we learn makes it seem l
Cecily
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cecily by: Scotty Steele
Shelves: great-read
This is a book that I borrowed from my son, Scotty Steele. He and my daughter, Jamie Steele knew M. Todd Gallowglass in High School. Scotty's book is a signed copy!
Really loved the way Gallowglass put this book together and want to read all of his other books. The book kept me interested from start to finish (most books lose me at some point and then catch me again). His characters are well thought out and well formed (maybe from his "Live action" characters?) I'm not good enough with putting my
Fatma Alici
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I couldn't quite give First Chosen full stars, because it started out slow. There was a great deal of background, and lore to push out. Normally, I like that, but in this case I feel it could be done more elegantly.

However, once the book got rolling, it was wonderful. The characters were rich, and interesting. The politics of the gods, and various other beings was delightful.

Overall, great book, I'd definitely recommend it.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fantasy of a darker nature, where magic is actually a 'miracle' given to those of faith. It is quite a complicated world as there are lots of different Gods and Goddesses who each also have different names they are known by. There are fight scenes in it that are described in detail.

The only nit-pick I would make is that during a major battle that happens, you are not entirely sure of who survives and where they went.

On the whole a good start to the series.
Josh Drost
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
First Chosen is a strong start to a series. It sets up a complex and exciting mythology that drives the story. For being fairly short, a ton happens and there are not many dull moments. There were two weaknesses that I saw when reading. 1) Everyone is connected to the main character without much explanation at points other than they know her and are deeply attached. 2) The book shows the origen story for the main character and sets up for more, but does not feel complete on its own.
John
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
quick and fun read, the start is a little tough as there's a lot going on and you're thrown in the deep end but once the story properly starts following Julianna then it picks up and moves along quickly. There's a well made mythos and pantheon that is revealed very naturally, no huge paragraphs of dry exposition, and the hints at the magic systems are good. Wish it had been longer, but I'll be picking up the next books in the series so that should solve that.
Merelan Jones
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time a few weeks ago. I recently reread it and found that I love it even more. If you are a fan of fantasy books, you should defiantly pick up this book. The story sucks you in and grabs a hold of you, and it doesn't let go. First Chosen isn't just a book - it is a window into another world.
Meredith Scarborough
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Both fast paced and intricate, First Chosen uses thrilling action and devious schemes to reveal its unique mythology. This first installment does feel a bit short, but it is more than enough to convince me to continue with the series.
Morlun
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The unique theology in the world of First Chosen grabbed me right away. Gallowglas paints characters with such rich detail that I regretted the deaths of minor characters more than the main characters in most books. I couldn't put it down, and I can't wait to read the next installment.
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
This is actually only a weak 3 star rating. The story was interesting in many ways, but ends suddenly with no sense of resolution or closure. So it loses in the rating for being unable to stand alone.
Krista
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Chosen grabbed me from the beginning and never let go. Its a great tale of love and loss, friendship and betrayal. Definitely a must read for any Sci-Fi/Fantasy book reader. I will definitely be reading many more books by M. Todd Gallowglas in the future.
SciYourFi Team
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It is the first in a series and am planing to read each of them.
Volpot
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. This was an enjoyable book
Juan Pablo Illanes sotta
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really interesting world and setup!
Favorite Character 2 5 Nov 20, 2015 02:33PM
Blog Tour de Force 1 2 Oct 20, 2011 09:52PM

• Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Paramount (Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Raven's Heart: A Tale from the World of Secramore
  • Dragon Soul
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Purgatory Reign
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Witch Stones : Gathering Of The Covens
  • Devil's Lair
  • Love's Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Second Sight (Tales of the Lifesong, #2)
M Todd Gallowglas has been a professional storyteller at Renaissance Faires and Medieval Festivals for over twenty years. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University in 2009, he used his storytelling show as a platform to launch his fiction career. He is the author of the Tears of Rage and Halloween Jack series, which have spent time on various best ...more

Tears of Rage (4 books)
  • Once We Were Like Wolves (Tears of Rage, #2)
  • Arms of the Storm (Tears of Rage, #3)
  • Judge of Dooms (Tears of Rage, #4)