Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!

Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!

From the cheery sun on the first page, to the sleepy moon on the last, and throughout all 290 pages in between, there are stories, rhymes and fun with the one-and-only Richard Scarry. Classic tales, alphabet and counting stories, lots of new words and concepts, and visits around town, to the airport, and across the world make this essential book that will captivate even th ...more
Published 1968 by Golden Books (first published 1950)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,671 books — 6,052 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,657 books — 1,846 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
Sara
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Used to get this at the library constantly during childhood. Great memories!
Carolynn Markey
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son got this book for Christmas and we love it, I love how it has daddys cooking and cleaning and moms doing yard work. Well drawn and so much snarky Britt lit.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This book was my husband's when he was a child. It's seen a lotta love. It's missing the cover and some outside pages. Legomeister spent hours pouring over all the vehicle pictures, and we loved to read the nursery rhymes and stories.

Little Miss really liked "I am a Bunny" by Ole Risom. It shows the bunny in four different seasons. And "The Bunny Book" by Patricia Scarry, where everyone asks Baby Bunny what he wants to be when he grows up. (A daddy.) These longer stories weren't my favorite, exc
Michael Fitzgerald
Extremely memorable, both stories and pictures.
Vittoria
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Richard Scarry's books are a treat.
You can get lost in the beautiful and wonderfully detailed illustrations.
His worlds are alive, and vibrant, as few artists are able to bring to paper.
As a child I had some of these stories collected in separate books.
My favourite was Harry and Larry the Fishermen.
When an illustrated book manages to really catch a child's rapt attention and immagination the experience becomes almost synesthetic, doesn't it? Objects are almost felt by one's reaching hands and al
MarineCAT
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever for my childhood. So many great stories and the illustrations are my favorite. I can't put my finger on why I like this so much. I remember as a kid, always looking at the pictures and trying to replicate the drawings on my own. The drawings of London also helped with my sense of adventure. There are a lot of great stories as well that cover everything from counting, the alphabet, to fruits and flowers. This book has seen better days, but it will remain on the shelf for others to ...more
Arlene Allen
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much sentimental value to me as it was one of the staples of my daughter's reading diet for years. We really loved Lowly Worm. I adored how the stories were morally engaging without being didactic or pendantic or boring. I think I even may have kept it, although it was rather falling apart. Oh the memories!
Nancy
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I recommend this book all the time. It is a wonderful book for a child to grow with. It has everything from the alphabet and colors to easy reading stories to bedtime stories to read to the little ones. Good to carry everywhere for those times when the kids are getting cranky. Lots to occupy their busy minds.
Diane
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my book when I was a child. I gave it to my nephew and he gave it to my son. It's very battered, but that's because it is such a rich book. There are word pages, very short stories and longer stories. Something for every mood and time of day.
Ileana Cartagena
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book to help my children learn English, as they are just starting to learn it at school. It is a great way to learn new words and both my 6 and 8 year olds love the stories and the illustrations.
Jim
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My Mom used to read this to me every night.
Autumn
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books! Where would I be without it?
Kassi
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 6 months - 6 years
I loved this as a child and my 15 month old daughter also delights when "dada" reads from this book during her goodnight routine.
Hilary
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favourites as a child, so full of images and stories and adventures, I could spend hours absorbed in this book.
Khalid Hajeri
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Parents
Fun reading for young ones, and great nostalgia for adults!

I first read this book a long time ago as a child, and absolutely loved the creativity in the artwork and the subtle lessons taught. Despite the fact that cartoon animals are seen everywhere, the attention to detail in their environment and objects such as automobiles and clothing are stunning for a children's book of this kind. All objects are also word-labeled in order to teach children the connection between them and the way they are
Kali
This is a HUGE collection of various stories, Mother Goose rhymes, and educational drawings by Richard Scarry and his wife Patricia. However, it should be noted that most of the stories are shortened versions of what you can read/get in individual storybooks - "I Am a Bunny" in particular is missing some of the loveliest drawings of Scarry's from the original book.

If you're looking for a quick and abridged overview of Scarry's works, or a book full of stories to entertain your children with, thi
Amanda
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Adalyn (2) pours over this book in the car. It’s not my favorite because it’s not in the style of his other “Busy town” books. But for a child who doesn’t sit still well, she’ll read this in the car for 20 minutes at a time. Some of the “stories” are weird so I try to skip those. Some of them are just pictures with word labels.
Jeanne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite stories in this collection were written by Patricia Scarry. I found a copy of this book at a thrift store that matches exactly the book i owned as a kid.

Why did my mom toss or give away all my books from my childhood? Having fun recalling and searching for copies of all my childhood favorites.
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gosh, I love Richard Scarry’s books. They’re so wonderfully illustrated and always a delight to read with its wide cast of animal characters always getting into zany adventures. Makes me want to watch the Richard Scarry animated series that used to play on Nick when I was young. Great book for the small kids, just as good for us adults when we feel nostalgic.
Rachel B.
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The cover used to be yellow! This find in my parents' attic now lives next to my preschooler's bed by her choice. The bits and pieces from other Scarry stories are great to grab attention and refocus energy without needing to sit down to a long book.
Dan Hyer
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
My 3.5 year old girls love Richard Scarry. We started this one, read it every night, and when we finished it, started again at the beginning. After reading it back to back 3 times, I'm ready to put it away and read something else for a while.
Syed Shoaib Ahmed
One of my best memories as a child growing up in the 90s was having this in my posession. The heart warming stories of cute little animals, and the characters from Richard Scarys busy people universe were absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended for any kids bookshelf.
Karla Olson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still makes me happy, nearly 50 years on.
Betsy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
We enjoyed reading this so much!
Brian
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite childhood book.
I am wanting to starting teaching 2nd or 3rd grade and I am trying to read as many cute children's books as possible to add to my class library. If you have suggestions please let me know!
Quinn
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enqi said the book has many details and many stories inside. And has sun and moon.
Nato Puhlick
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all the Mother Goose rhymes.
Kelly Woznik
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this mishmash of stuff
Yumi Learner
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading my twenty fifth and sixth books in English for this year without using a dictionary. My twenty fifth book is a child book and sixth book is a book for adults. Each book has around 100 short stories, so I'd read one story per a day around for three months.

I think this idea is really great because after three month I can finish reading the book. Plus, it's not difficult for me to keep reading a short story in English every single day. In Japanese we have a proverb ”塵も積もれば山となる” (
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I Am a Bunny
  • Little Bear (Little Bear, #1)
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Owl Babies
  • Time for Bed
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • Animalia
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • Olivia (Olivia, #1)
  • The World of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-2)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Bunny Book
  • Danny and the Dinosaur
  • Corduroy
  • Gaston
  • The Goodnight Train
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more