Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!

Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!

From the cheery sun on the first page, to the sleepy moon on the last, and throughout all 290 pages in between, there are stories, rhymes and fun with the one-and-only Richard Scarry. Classic tales, alphabet and counting stories, lots of new words and concepts, and visits around town, to the airport, and across the world make this essential book that will captivate even th ...more
Published June 8th 2000 by Golden Books (first published 1969)

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,523 books — 5,924 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,478 books — 1,741 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
Garren
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Best. Storybook. Ever.

Well, maybe not quite. But it's pretty great and all of the art was extremely nostalgic for me. Hadn't seen this thing since I was about six years old. I used some of my 34th birthday money to buy it today and flipped through it at the coffee shop, recognizing all of the pictures and smiling at all of the smoking (including on the cover).
Carolynn Markey
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son got this book for Christmas and we love it, I love how it has daddys cooking and cleaning and moms doing yard work. Well drawn and so much snarky Britt lit.
Michael Fitzgerald
Extremely memorable, both stories and pictures.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This book was my husband's when he was a child. It's seen a lotta love. It's missing the cover and some outside pages. Legomeister spent hours pouring over all the vehicle pictures, and we loved to read the nursery rhymes and stories.

Little Miss really liked "I am a Bunny" by Ole Risom. It shows the bunny in four different seasons. And "The Bunny Book" by Patricia Scarry, where everyone asks Baby Bunny what he wants to be when he grows up. (A daddy.) These longer stories weren't my f
Vittoria
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Richard Scarry's books are a treat.
You can get lost in the beautiful and wonderfully detailed illustrations.
His worlds are alive, and vibrant, as few artists are able to bring to paper.
As a child I had some of these stories collected in separate books.
My favourite was Harry and Larry the Fishermen.
When an illustrated book manages to really catch a child's rapt attention and immagination the experience becomes almost synesthetic, doesn't it? Objects are almost felt by one
MarineCAT
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever for my childhood. So many great stories and the illustrations are my favorite. I can't put my finger on why I like this so much. I remember as a kid, always looking at the pictures and trying to replicate the drawings on my own. The drawings of London also helped with my sense of adventure. There are a lot of great stories as well that cover everything from counting, the alphabet, to fruits and flowers. This book has seen better days, but it will remain on the shelf for others to ...more
Nancy
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I recommend this book all the time. It is a wonderful book for a child to grow with. It has everything from the alphabet and colors to easy reading stories to bedtime stories to read to the little ones. Good to carry everywhere for those times when the kids are getting cranky. Lots to occupy their busy minds.
Arlene Allen
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has so much sentimental value to me as it was one of the staples of my daughter's reading diet for years. We really loved Lowly Worm. I adored how the stories were morally engaging without being didactic or pendantic or boring. I think I even may have kept it, although it was rather falling apart. Oh the memories!
Kassi
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 6 months - 6 years
I loved this as a child and my 15 month old daughter also delights when "dada" reads from this book during her goodnight routine.
Hilary
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favourites as a child, so full of images and stories and adventures, I could spend hours absorbed in this book.
Jim
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My Mom used to read this to me every night.
Autumn
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books! Where would I be without it?
Kali
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a HUGE collection of various stories, Mother Goose rhymes, and educational drawings by Richard Scarry and his wife Patricia. However, it should be noted that most of the stories are shortened versions of what you can read/get in individual storybooks - "I Am a Bunny" in particular is missing some of the loveliest drawings of Scarry's from the original book.

If you're looking for a quick and abridged overview of Scarry's works, or a book full of stories to entertain your childr
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Adalyn (2) pours over this book in the car. It’s not my favorite because it’s not in the style of his other “Busy town” books. But for a child who doesn’t sit still well, she’ll read this in the car for 20 minutes at a time. Some of the “stories” are weird so I try to skip those. Some of them are just pictures with word labels.
Jeanne
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two of my favorite stories in this collection were written by Patricia Scarry. I found a copy of this book at a thrift store that matches exactly the book i owned as a kid.

Why did my mom toss or give away all my books from my childhood? Having fun recalling and searching for copies of all my childhood favorites.
Ileana Cartagena
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book to help my children learn English, as they are just starting to learn it at school. It is a great way to learn new words and both my 6 and 8 year olds love the stories and the illustrations.
Dan Hyer
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
My 3.5 year old girls love Richard Scarry. We started this one, read it every night, and when we finished it, started again at the beginning. After reading it back to back 3 times, I'm ready to put it away and read something else for a while.
Rachel B.
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The cover used to be yellow! This find in my parents' attic now lives next to my preschooler's bed by her choice. The bits and pieces from other Scarry stories are great to grab attention and refocus energy without needing to sit down to a long book.
Karla Olson
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still makes me happy, nearly 50 years on.
Brian Hurst
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite childhood book.
Betsy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
We enjoyed reading this so much!
Yumi Learner
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading my twenty fifth and sixth books in English for this year without using a dictionary. My twenty fifth book is a child book and sixth book is a book for adults. Each book has around 100 short stories, so I'd read one story per a day around for three months.

I think this idea is really great because after three month I can finish reading the book. Plus, it's not difficult for me to keep reading a short story in English every single day. In Japanese we have a proverb ”塵
Milo
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milo by: Gift at a Baby Shower
Mama got this as a gift at a baby shower. She thought of giving it away, because she did not think it looked very fun. I am so glad that she did not. I love ALL the stories in the book. There are 82 stories. But, I have four favorites that I go to again and again.

When I was very sick and had to stay in bed I asked to have this book with me. I would turn on my tummy and slowly turn each page. It gave me great comfort to have a book I love with me when I felt yucky. At night, when I go to bed I b
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-the-best
This was a family favorite when we were kids. I just bought it for my family and oh man...memories!!! It is just as fabulous as I remembered. It has great illustrations to spark a child's imagination. This is a fantastic pick for young learners as it covers counting, abc's, shapes, seasons, months, occupations, manners, vocabulary, nature, chores...the list goes on! Of course, the nostalgia is a big plus for me, but I hope Ari and Mirabel will curl up on the couch or lay on their tummies, feet k ...more
Chris J
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has been the nighttime routine for my two-year old and I for the past few months. It's an edited collection of stories, poems, etc. from other Richard Scarry books - 288 pages of illustrated magnificence. The writing is nothing to get too excited about. It's fine writing, but there is nothing truly memorable about it. The illustrations, however, are genius. Father bears in smoking jackets, double-decker buses heavy-laden with adventuring young animals, cats in fezzes, owls in letterman ...more
Nicola Mansfield
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
2008 - A collection of previously published stories and poems by Richard Scarry. Topics include words, colours, alphabet, numbers, fables, mother goose, cars, planes, manners, animals and much more.

This is a fun book for young children. The topics are most suitable to very young children but those a bit older will be able to read most of the text. We used this book with our curriculum this year, reading a few stories spread out over the whole year. He was always happy when it time to
Amanda
This was my favorite book when I was younger I read it so many times.

Great kids book.

Funny. This book would be best for ages 4 and up. Maybe a little younger.

This book is funny. I remember everything that happened. When I read this book it I thought it was the funniest thing ever but that was awhile ago. I love this random book because it is easy to read, and quite funny. I think everyone should read this books. So read it now!

~Bookworm~
Connor Robertson
Featuring 82 short stories and poems, this book also features some of the most beautiful imagery i've seen before. "Words To Learn", for instance, teaches children about the names and locations of body parts, the months of the year, the names of designated names of family members, and the days of the week and are accompanied by drawings. There are also stories that deal with the seasons, colors, and how to be nice one another.
Gindho Rizano
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This big book compiles many of Scarry's best-loved book. Not all of them are stories; it also got rhymes and encyclopedia-like things (different types of planes, what we do everyday, etc), which in my opinion making the book more delightful. However, this collection does not include stories featuring Scarry's signature character Huckle Cat.

Julia Forrester
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My kids love looking at this book in the car...lots of fun pictures and stories. A number of the pages are scenes with everything labeled or different concepts (colors, counting etc). It's a great book to take along for quiet reading while at the doctors or someplace else since it's large enough to keep them entertained for awhile.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Night, Little Bear
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • I Am a Bunny
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • Serendipity
  • The Rainbabies
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • Alligators All Around
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • The Color Kittens
  • In the Forest
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more