Start by marking “Ema, la cautiva” as Want to Read:
Ema, la cautiva

Ema, la cautiva

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Ema, la cautiva tiene (y sigue exhibiendo, a treinta años de su primera edición en octubre de 1981) toda la intensidad de ese momento único que es, para decirlo con el mismo César Aira, la primera vez de la invención: ni ensayo preliminar ni borrador de los comienzos, sino explosión liberada en ese instante en que cristaliza la apuesta de vida del escritor y, con ella, el ...more
Published April 2011 by EUDEBA (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ema, la cautiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ema, la cautiva

Lark Benobi
I was disturbed by this novel. Sometimes that can be a good thing. I'm not sure whether it is in this case, though.

Ema felt to me throughout, as I read, as a horrific embodiment of a male fantasy. Ema is an ever-youthful, ever-desirable female who is subject to terrible violence (along with her children being subject to it) without her having much of a problem with it. She just passively makes the best of things. Because she is so passive about being carried off with regularity to be raped some
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I finished this book a week ago and have discussed it and mulled over it, and I guess I should just go ahead and write a review! The discussion and deep thinking have had a lot to do with questions of the author's intent. It is difficult to find many reviews in English of the work, in fact all of them are written by men who say nothing about the brutal sexual violence of the situations Ema finds herself in. One even went as far as saying that Aira is describing an "idealized" world that he wishe ...more
Lobstergirl
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Steve Mnuchin
Shelves: fiction

Ema, "a delicate woman of indeterminate origins" as the back cover explains (she is considered white, although she is the same color as the Indian women, with either African or Indian features), is taken captive from somewhere and journeys across some part of wild Argentina in a wagon convoy with soldiers and other prisoners. The trip is ghastly, the prisoners barely fed, seeming barely human, the food noxious. When one male prisoner is seen copulating with "a being of indefinite sex," an office
Ellie
I looked forward to reading this work, having very much enjoyed Argentinian writer Cesar Aira's work, How I Became a Nun. Ema the Captive is a much earlier work and I was curious to compare the two.

Ema the Captive is a very different type of book than How I Became a Nun. It takes place in 19th Century Argentina, out in the forests, plains, and mountains. The atmosphere is extremely dreamlike and the writing beautifully lyrical (although punctuated by episodes of shocking brutality). It begins wi
jeremy
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, translation
"life," he said, "is a primitive phenomenon, destined to vanish entirely. but extinction is not and will not be sudden. if it were, we would not be here. destiny is what gives the incomplete and the open their aesthetic force. then it retires to the sky. destiny is a grand retiree. it has nothing to do with the human body's anxious perceiving, which is more kinesthetic than visual, or in any case more imaginary than real. destiny is concerned only with the flower, but the flower has no weight;
Deni
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
no me gusta Aira, esto es lo mejor que le leí. sigo esperando un libro de él que sea realmente digno de su renombre. le agradezco su trabajo con la poesía de Osvaldo Lamborghini que, como dice Milita Molina, con eso ya se ganó el cielo.
Carla
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't know how I feel about this book. Ema, moves around from different "camps", and appears to be a captive, raped, and yet the author wants us to believe she's okay with this and that she's an independent woman who can move to other camps? men? when the mood suits her? I found it very confusing and demoralizing. I've never read anything written by this writer. If this is how he portrays women, how he normalizes them, then I don't know I'd read more. I did enjoy the descriptions of the flora, f ...more
Elaine
This is the first book I've read by Mr. Aira and all I can say is this book is akin to the Monkey Festival.

Inconclusive.

Ema, the Captive was an inconclusive read, filled with pseudo philosophical ramblings (from men, no less) about money and existence interspersed with plenty of scenes of smoking, gambling and lazing away your days. Oh, and pheasant farming. Am I supposed to care about any of that?

The short read was less about Ema than about the strange, distant world she found herself living. S
Carol Peters
Strange little book, an imaginary life of South American Indians & some colonials, I enjoyed it & also was sometimes bored & found some of Aira's "intellectual" flights more flighty than parseable. Ema is said to be a "white" woman yet doesn't look white & passes from man to man as directed as if that were as natural as eating chicken one day & pork the next.

No character development. Imagery rules.

Favorite bits:

Birds returning from the west passed overhead, always flying si
John Pistelli
Reading and rereading Wilde over the years, I note a fact that his panegyrists seem not even to have suspected: the elementary and demonstrable fact that Wilde is nearly always right.
—Jorge Luis Borges, "On Oscar Wilde" (trans. Esther Allen)

Art never expresses anything but itself. It has an independent life, just as Thought has, and develops purely on its own lines. It is not necessarily realistic in an age of realism, nor spiritual in an age of faith. So far from being the creation of its time,
Juan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Esta novela es solo para completistas que quieren leer todo Aira. Esto es lo que pasa cuando se escribe sin plan, una novela aburridísima. Más grave aún que Aira diga que es una novela "gótica simplificada", porque, la verdad, nada que ver. Lo que es es una dilatada descripción de la vida sin propósito de la frontera argentina del siglo XIX. Los blancos beben, duermen, pasean. Los indios también. De vez en cuando hay un malón y se llevan las mujeres. Otras veces hacen de megáfono para que Aira h ...more
Maria
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es el primer libro que leo de César Aira y cuánto lo admiro y lo quiero ya. Disfruté cada página, el mundo de Ema, siempre fresco, sobre un territorio nuevo, real y no, me puso a cuestionar la realidad circundante (la mía); así de intenso es su lenguaje: trastoca el pensamiento y sus alrededores.

Este libro a ratos parece histórico, luego fantástico, mítico, un génesis, es paisaje, melancolía, soledad, una leyenda... pero nunca es una sola cosa. También, claro está, es un viaje (para los persona
Arlo
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of his better books. Or should I say one of his more lyrical books.
Ian
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fear some day I might run out of Aira to read. Fortunately, every time I turn around there seems to be another one.
Matthew Talamini
I have a secret list of words that evoke vision. I should have added to it while reading this, because I kept going, "Oh, that's a good one!" Aira writes very beautifully. He makes Argentina seem like a fantastical dreamland, like Xanadu or Samarkand or El Dorado.

I think this might not be a novel, but rather a lengthy pastoral poem.

I think the key to the aesthetic of this book is that nobody in it ever needs anything. For instance, money is an important part of the book but nobody ever needs it.
Angelin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the review that The Millions gave explained my feelings about this book the best – "His novels are eccentric clones of reality, where the lights are brighter, the picture is sharper and everything happens at the speed of thought. You don't know where you are or what you are looking at, but the air is full of electricity."

Ema, the Captive was beautiful in the most primitive way, sensual and raw, matter-of-fact yet deep. Its lyrical observations of the natural world and of the habits o
camilla
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, world-lit
This was a hard one. At first it really bothered me, so much rape and sexual violence written as if it was so normal. And even in the end I'm still not sure if I like Ema, but the writing! And the nature descriptions! I felt like I could hear the Argentinian birds every time I opened the pages.

Ema comes off very passively even though she's the protagonist, she's constantly traded and stolen and captured and sold to different, and she prevails in the end. I'm starting to think that she's always v
Natalia
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kangsoon
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aira’s 1981 novel “Emma, the Captive” does not belong to any “Western” novels. It does deal with colonialism but by the time you think it is about colonialism and its brutality, the storyline goes somewhere else. It may be about vastness and emptiness of the landscape where Indians and settles cope with. It may be about impossibility and boredom. It is a beautifully written (translated) anti-novel.

Indians invade settlers but end up withdrawing with freshly printed money. Almost all the tensions
Brokestone
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Ema, the Captive" is less interested in plot than in the pure, sensual experience of being. Think of this novel as a vacation to not just another time, but to an entire other concept of time, of place, of existence. The reader becomes the captive, bound in a cage of sights and smells, of tastes, of touch. Aira has crafted a spell here, a dream, that as you read will surround you by the pampas, by the forest, by the men and women who surrender to the pleasures and pains of life. It is a thesis o ...more
Chris
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book set in a world that looks a lot like 19th century Argentina, but the focus is wrong - mundane things seem beautiful, horrifying things are numb, and some times a sequence just happens - with the weight and pacing of how the movies portray a wonderful dream. I'm sure I missed all sorts of commentary on Aira's Argentina, but I enjoyed the ride nonetheless.
Jill
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aira embarks on an interesting project here: a gothic romance utterly devoid of horror or romance. The result is a laconic pastoral where horrible things happen, but no one (victim or perpetrator) seems to care. Basically, the novel is a simulacrum of a novel that ultimately implies that life itself is a simulacrum.
César Antunes
El primer capítulo de la novela que abarca aproximadamente un cuarto de esta, es lo que me resultó más interesante. La perspectiva del francés me resultó muy buena. Después de eso la novela cambia de entorno y cuenta como es el día a día de la vida en el fuerte de Pringles y pierde un poco el espíritu de la primera parte.
Cero conflicto.
Erica
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story of a woman taken as a slave in 19th century Argentina, passed from soldiers to indigenous tribes, and eventually making her own life. He treats his subject cooly, stripping the narrative of any evidence of trauma, a mark against the book in my opinion. The first 2/3 are a rich and verbose, if disturbing, novella, and the last third goes off the rails a bit, plot-wise.
Matt Brown
my favorite from aira that i've come across thus far. ostensibly, it's a straightforward western novel but over time his charateristic plot twists and philosophical wanderings are revealed. it's told with a meloncholic and almost magical beauty that often left me feeling somewhat disoriented.
Einas Alhamali
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is poetically descriptive. Although you keep wondering where the story will go, and whether it will reach anywhere at all, the language is beautiful enough to keep you going.
Patricia
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the prose in describing the flora and fauna of Argentina was well done, the story was a very strange and unrewarding.
Amy
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully descriptive book about a mans journey into the jungles. Surprising bits of culture and aristocracy to be found where the wildness takes over.
Adam
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below is a link to one of the more helpful reviews I've found for this book. Aira's always playing with something. This time, it's the gothic novel, femininity, and whiteness.

Laura Janeiro
Ante todo, si no fuera Aira le hubiera dado más estrellas, pero espero más de él. Diría que es injusto de mi parte.
Es una novela rara. Comienza como novela histórica y en algún momento parece derrapar y las referencias históricas empiezan a resultar extrañas, equivocadas, y en algún otro momento, personajes que pertenecen a los estratos sociales más bajos comienzan a comunicarse entre sí con un lenguaje propio de un literato, y luego presenta como propias de tribus bastante desorganizadas, elab
César Aira (born on February 23, 1949 in Coronel Pringles, Buenos Aires Province) is an Argentine writer and translator, considered by many as one of the leading exponents of Argentine contemporary literature, in spite of his limited public recognition.

He has published over fifty books of stories, novels and essays. Indeed, at least since 1993 a hallmark of his work is an almost frenetic level of
More about César Aira

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone