Start by marking “The Daughter She Used To Be” as Want to Read:
The Daughter She Used To Be

The Daughter She Used To Be

In this emotionally charged and riveting novel from the author of One September Morning and In a Heartbeat, one woman is torn between loyalty to her family's ways and to her most profound convictions. . .

The daughter of a career cop, Bernadette Sullivan grew up with blue uniforms hanging in the laundry room and cops laughing around the dinner table. Her brother joined New
Published November 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter She Used To Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daughter She Used To Be

Vickie
The Daughter She Used To Be by Rosalind Noonan was a ♥♥♥ for me. The beginning was extremely slow and I almost gave up on; the reason why I didn't is because it fits some reading challenges for me. Bernadette Sullivan is the youngest in this family of police officers in NYC; her role is as an assistant district attorney in NYC. The first 100 pages really were awful to read: so many characters, many clichés, and some characters that were just unlikable. The storyline picks up after a major event ...more
Debbie
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The winds of change are blowing for the Sullivans. This tight knit family of God loving and fearing cops will be strained to the very fibers of their souls. A terrible crime will rock the very foundation of all they hold near and dear. As every member faces a new and stressful day they will all handle the situation differently and some of the effects will damage an already volatile situation. Sully the patriarch has vowed to keep his family safe and when he knows that isn’t always possible, some ...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
My first experience with a Rosalind Noonan, but as they came highly recommended from my mom, I would have to agree with her that this won't be my last Rosalind Noonan read.

As luck would have it, I was asked to host this book for a book tour and what a great read. I am now in a relationship with a police officer, so this book hit way close to home, but this new living situation, may have helped me love it even more. The story centers around the youngest daughter of a retired police officer who s
Allison Boyd
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nothing about this stuck with me, it felt like an NBC pilot.
Erin
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad, had some different perspectives but the characters were too superficial or cliche for me to be really interested in their stories. Ok to pass the time.
Ashleigh Rivers
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Good character development but weak emotional attachment for the reader
Maryellen
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good story of stereotypical Irish, Catholic NYC cops. Has an interesting twist, though.
Nancy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I was just thinking how hard it is for any parent to protect a child." -Bernie (p.279) The Daughter She Used To Be takes place in New York, the story is about a woman named Bernie and all the things that happen to her and her family. Bernie grew up being around cops all of her life, after all her dad and brothers where involved with New York's finest police force. However, being a cop does have its ups and downs, one day tragedy strikes and something happens that changes Bernie and her family f ...more
Alice Harbin
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is entertaining. The pace of the plot is slow at times, but it kept my attention. Bernadette Sullivan is one of two daughters in the Sullivan family. All of her brothers (4?) and her father, are NYC cops. Their lives seem so exciting and she is fascinated by their stories.
She is an attorney with a desk job. She is wanting to settle down with a man she works with, but her family scorns him because he is not Italian. She just feels out of sync with her wants/needs and her life.
Then tra
Cathy
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Found this one a bit more difficult to get in to. Didn't enjoy it as much as the others I have read.
Roma Del
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a good story. Hard to put this book down. I wanted to know what would happen
Toni
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kensington-arcs
I was completely blown away from this amazing story by Rosalind Noonan. She captivated me from the beginning and kept me enthralled throughout the whole novel. I kept wanting to peek ahead to see what would happen next. This is storytelling at its very best!!

You would think that this story revolves around the daughter Bernadette “Bernie” Sullivan. In reality, I feel it revolves around every single member of the Sullivan family and even a few of the extended cast. Yes, Bernie held the limelight a
Nancy Narma
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“A True Spellbinder Not To Be Missed”

Ms. Noonan has truly woven a spellbinding tale of family loyalty, suspense, and romance. We follow Bernadette (named for St. Bernadette) “Bernie” Sullivan, youngest daughter of legendary/retired police officer James “Sully” Sullivan, who is the Patriarch of this strong Irish/Catholic family of five, with two sons who are also members of the NYPD and Bernie joining the ranks as Assistant District Attorney. You will be introduced to Peg, Sully’s strong-willed “
Heather
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
As I started reading, I was reminded of Every Last One by Anna Quindlen. We start with seeing Bernie and her family’s day-to-day life before – BAM! – tragedy strikes. Unlike Quindlen’s book, I wasn’t blindsided by the violence in this one – it’s told pretty clearly in every synopsis I’ve found. Still, it is highly emotional and packs quite the punch. And the aftermath is no less emotional. Watching Bernie evolve from the daughter she used to be to the woman she was meant to be is fulfilling. She ...more
Jennifer Melnyk
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed my attention, mostly, because my own family is a cop family. Both of my brothers are officers, my cousin is dating an officer, and my dad retired from the force a few years back.

In many ways, I found myself in Bernie. Although I am a staunch supporter of the death penalty, I admire her ability to find her own beliefs in a family that disagrees with her beliefs. I don't believe that my dad would react like Sully did and disown me, either. But I can definitely understand where Su
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I'm not really sure why this book got such good reviews. The plot was mildly interesting, but the writing left something to be desired. Even when the writer describes the tragedy and what happened (no spoilers, even though you can see it coming a MILE away), I did not care. I felt no emotion. Usually, I will cry anytime something sad or happy or at all emotional happens in books. So the fact that I didn't shed a tear over this one says a lot. The plot moved very slow. Seriously, the tragedy didn ...more
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first book from this author and I must say I will be looking for more. I loved the dynamics of the story and how you, as the reader, even started to feel for Curtis and not really look at him as the villain but just another victim in this tragic story. I also loved how Bernie evolved as a character. She changed so many times throughout the book and each time she became a stronger more respectable character that you had to cheer for and who touched your heart with how she learned to s ...more
Mary Anne
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book about a family (the Sullivans) who are all tied to the NYPD. The father, Sully, is a retired cop, two of his sons, James & Brendan are cops, his daughter, Mary Kate, is married to a cop and his youngest daughter< Bernie, is an asisstant DA. The story centers mostly on Bernie. After a terrible, unimaginable tragedy hits the Sullivan family, Bernie braves her family's disapproval to follow her convictions. The developments through the story made it hard to put down. The plots w ...more
Sharon
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bernadette "Bernie" Sullivan comes from a family of blue bloods. Her fascination of police stories told during family dinners draws her into law but not enough to become a police officer. She believes in justice and wants to help people, but at what cost.

When a family tragedy strikes the Sullivan clan, each member has their own way of handling their grief. Some seek retribution while others try to make sense of it all. Bernie wants to do the right thing, but the loyalty to her family is tested.

F
Moon Love
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is powerful and moving, and contains many viewpoints. There was never a dull moment in this book and I had to control myself more than once from breaking down in tears. This book has it all except comedy; action, drama, romance, and tragedy. It was thought provoking and much more than what I expected to get out of this book. I didn't see many things coming at all, and they made the story more the better for it. It's my first book by Rosalind Noonan, but it won't be my last.
Margie
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing read! Rosalind Noonan is a wonderful author. This is my second book I have read of hers and both are wonderful! I have another one sitting on my shelf and I can't wait to dive right in to that one. I think I would read anything she writes.

I could not put this book down. From the very start I was captivated. I just wanted to turn one more page, one more page, until the very end. Then I didn't want the story to end!
Kristin
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author has a gift for storytelling. I really felt emotionally connected to the characters and the struggles they were going through. The story of Bernie (DA), her family of cops, and a recently released convict and how their lives intertwine was very captivating and exciting. I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to find out how the story ended.
Ginny
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an engrossing novel of an assistant DA and her family of NYPD cops. While she fights crime from the courtroom, her father, brothers and brother-in-law fight from the streets. When a terrible tragedy happens, her family deals with it in different ways. This was a very suspenseful read from an author I've enjoyed in the past.
Tricia
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A very gripping and well-written tale about family dynamics and how quickly they (as well as individuals)can change the moment tragedy strikes. I found myself very sad throughout most of this book as it focused on the heartache of others, but I would definitely read another book by this author.
Diane S ☔
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Bernie is an Asst. DA, her father was a career cop, her brother a cop and her sisters married cops. When tragedy strikes all in the family reexamine their lives and their idea of justice. Good thought provoking character driven story. Would have rated it 3.5 if I could.
Sara Smith
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very moving story with lots of drama and family warmth. This author does a great job of making the characters feel real. The epilogue wrapped everything up a little too neatly, but otherwise it was a very compelling read.
Bernadette Neville
Great read

Held my attention and didn't have any slow parts. If you are part of a cop family or know one, you can relate to this book. Excellent read. It really gives a great insight into how all families are affected by the good guys vs the bad.
Eddi
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story! The protagonist grew up in a family of cops. Her brother and two other cops were killed in a shooting. She ends up working for the defense because she (and her slain brother) are against the death penalty. Very well done, dealing with moral issues in a very real way.
Sharon Brewer
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Book!

Another great story from Rosalind Noonan! This is the second book I have read by this author, and I really liked both of them. You will be hooked right from the beginning. If you like police and family stories, I highly recommend you read this story.
Kathy
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a "new" author for me. Enjoyable. Will definitely search for more books by this author.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 18, 2015 01:13PM
  • Say You'll Be Mine
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • The View From Here (Eureka, Colorado, #1)
  • Cottage by the Sea (Hideaway #3)
  • A Summer In Europe
  • Allen Carr's Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking
  • Things Remembered
  • The Pub Across The Pond
  • The Safety of Secrets
  • The Sweet By and By (Songbird, #1)
  • The Catalpa Tree
  • Pressed Pennies
  • Windless Summer
  • The Photograph
  • The Keeping Days (Keeping Days, #1)
  • The Sister Pact
  • A Prince for Jenny (Touched By Angels, #2)
ROSALIND NOONAN grew up in suburban Maryland and enjoyed being part of a large family. "With my four siblings, Saturday mornings were a blast," she says. "There was festival seating on the living room floor as we devoured cartoons and passed the Sugar Pops."

She caught the writing bug in second grade when she won first place in a poetry contest. "The prize was twenty dollars," she recalls. "That w