Start by marking “Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure” as Want to Read:
Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure

Kaplan, a well-known figure in the computer industry, founded GO Corporation in 1987, and for several years it was one of the hottest new ventures in the Valley. Startup tells the story of Kaplan's wild ride: how he assembled a brilliant but fractious team of engineers, software designers, and investors; pioneered the emerging market for hand-held computers operated with a ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Startup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Startup

Start your review of Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
Stephen Lake
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A rare look inside the rise (and failure) of a high-profile, venture-backed technology company.

Here's an awesome summary stolen from a review at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/review/RA1JC7MQ...

"I bought this because I read an interview with Mark Andreesen (co-inventor of the browser) in which he shared kind words for Kaplan's memoirs. Having seen the Netscape debac
Joe White
A 25 year old account of a corporate startup that skirmished with the biggest, baddest corporate cultures of the late-80's - early 90's. Markedly applicable to the tablet explosion based on ARM chips of today.

Large scale financing through venture capitalists and corporate legal arrangements was elucidated.

Direct revelations of Bill Gates as a corporate monopolist. Windows lovers will shrug this off as "just business", but I think that the corporate monopolies have kept innovation in
Kushal
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book to read if you want to understand Survivorship Bias in the business/startup world. You can have the world's best talent, the world's best investors, a good product, big customers - and still fail.
Daniyar Kamal
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first book about startups, and it gave me some ideas about what could happen in your journey building your own business, especially dealing with big companies. I understood that there might not be good partnership between a huge company and a small one. Either they go separate ways, or the big company just absorb the other one.
Dhananjayan Jayabal
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book vividly tells how big fishes eats away small ones. It was actually a lesson for all entrepreneurs. Hardship faced by Promoters of startups is clearly mentioned in the books.
David Tenemaza Kramaley
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and motivating read when you are building your own startup!
Manas Saloi
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An honest take. Different from most founding stories of companies
Mila
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't see words, I see real people moving here and there, too much flight scenes and pitches and there's one thing I can say: It's one hell of a ride.
I think this books speaks for itself, J. Kaplan has written it simply and meaningfully. Sometimes it's too techy but on the other hand, it's real life, with all its ups and downs and good deals, bad ones, enemies, friends and the future, dreams, visions, it's really one hell of a ride, the moment you close the book, it doesn't feel like it's the
Ivan
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
I like this book very much, giving us big picture of how hard it is to establish your own company. Start-up company is either a hell of joyride OR a joyride to hell. Appreciate all the effort he made from the beginning till the end to raise his "child" called GO. I learn one important thing if I want to make my own someday: find a great idea, communicate it to right people, then make sure the product can be sold!
Srikanth
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Business Students / hobby readers
Recommended to Srikanth by: Friend - Sundar
Shelves: business
when you startup an activity, result may not always success. I guess, Kaplan would have learnt lot of lessons to fight with competition and big market players.
Again book ends with a sad part, But, to emphasise on startup - it ends with another startup business. if you would like to understand business dynamics and why lot of merging happening... Good to start from this book.

Tom Conder
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
At this point the pen computer concept is a bit dated. However there are some themes covered in this book at never age: making a great product, making deals with investors and connecting with customers. Kaplan weaves a tale of his startup from concept to the its last soul-crushing days. I found this book informative and entertaining.
Joe
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: changed-me
This book is a well written account of the startup process as it normally ends....in failure. If you were ever curious about the startup process, this is a great source.
Charlie
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My appreciation of this book skyrocketed when I got to meet Caplan in person. Obviously, he is the sort of big swinging dick that you have envisioned, but it was great to see it in the flesh.
Stas Panteleev
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A real thrill.
Chris O'Brien
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how relevant the book remains, which came out in 1995. If you want to see how tech competition works (or, in this case, doesn't work), this book is worth reading.
Matt
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Dated by now, but still fascinating.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
"Detailed, but well written, story of the rise and fall of Go and pen computing. Especially interesting to read about old acquaintances from Apple days."
Jack
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
it was alright. i enjoyed learning about business on the inside and that was about it,
Zhifei Ge
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Including almost every aspects an entrepreneur need to know about what to expect during the adventure.
aarjav
Manzi Ed
Jul 09, 2019
Paulw
Jan 08, 2012

• Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Accidental Empires
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
  • Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It
  • Inside Steve's Brain
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Geek Silicon Valley
  • Elon Musk Young Readers’ Edition
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
Kaplan is widely known as a serial entrepreneur, technical innovator, bestselling author, and futurist. He co-founded four Silicon Valley startups, two of which became publicly traded companies. His best-selling non-fiction novel "Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure" was selected by Business Week as one of the top ten business books of the year, was optioned to Sony Pictures, and is available in J ...more