Start by marking “Feng Shui That Makes Sense: Easy Ways to Create a Home That FEELS as Good as It Looks” as Want to Read:

At last, a feng shui book that replaces nonsense with common sense! You don't need to be a professional designer or a feng shui expert in order to have a beautiful, comfortable home. Feng Shui That Makes Sense takes you step-by-step through the process of using feng shui principles to create a home that will please your eye, relax your body, inspire your mind, and lift ...more
Published May 30th 2011 by Two Harbors Press (first published May 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Feng Shui That Makes Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feng Shui That Makes Sense

Start your review of Feng Shui That Makes Sense: Easy Ways to Create a Home That FEELS as Good as It Looks
Kathrynn
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, own, reference, reviewed
Excellent book! The author did an excellent job of providing sensible information that I found to be enlightening, e.g. no mirrors in the bedroom, room layouts, home colors (did not include gray) for rooms and the moods those colors can inspire.

There are sketches of before and after room visuals that I found helpful in creating a Feng Shui home. The author includes breakout sections about some ridiculous and impractical Feng Shui recommendations made by others who profess to be experts.

What I
Beth
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like how the author approaches Feng Shui in a very practical, logical way rather than making it about the folklore. While the author does discuss the folklore of Feng Shui, she does it in a way that helps explain it in more modern terms. The only part of the book I didn't like was when she went into complicated detail about Compass School Feng Shui, which wasn't as logical and appealing as what most of the book explained, which is Form School Feng Shui.
Keesa
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first part of this book (the part dealing with form) was very good, and just what I hoped it would be: a simple explanation of how to arrange a house or space so that it "feels" right, along with commonsense reasons why. For example: use curves instead of corners and sharp angles. Why? Because corners and sharp angles hurt when you bump into them. (See what I mean? Super practical!) I kind of lost interest in the second part, when she started talking about activating energies, and I zoned ...more
Aysi
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always thought feng shui is some kind of religion difficult thing to understand without any logic. Then I stumbled upon this book and decided to read a part out of curiosity. I'm so glad I did! I love this book. Form school of feng shui which I'm planning to use in my home, makes perfect sense and finally I have a guideline I was looking for desperately for designing our new apartment. It became easier to decide how I want my place to look like. Also gave me confidence that layouts I plan now ...more
Nancy A Faussett
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
So I was curious..... and now I'm not :-)
A. M. Kimber
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoyed the book. But there was one thing that was a little “iffy” for me, where I thought the author might have mixed Feng Shui methods.

In the beginning of the book, the author explained the different types of feng shui - form, compass, black hat, and flying star. She states that Black Hat Feng Shui is the least scientific and that a lot of the techniques used aren’t used in traditional Feng Shui, so in not so many words, don’t bother.

Now if you know anything Western Feng Shui or
Kimberly VanNostrand
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better feng shui books I've read. At no point does the author suggest anything idiotic like construction paper shapes on the wall, or hanging crystals (unless you actually LIKE crystals), or painting the house in ridiculous colors, or drawing lines on doorways or your bed frame with red marker to "block bad energy." (I have read about all of these things in "bestselling" feng shui books.) Basically, this is real feng shui.
The first part of the book is a good introduction to "Form
Stormie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this really helpful. Living in Asia, many perspectives of feng shui are interlaced with superstitions. This book gave a fresh take and offered more than just feng shui but ideas on how to make a room feel better, maximize space, and feel more comfortable/secure. All of the instructions/explanations are very easy to follow and I found that implementing these techniques made a huge difference in our home and how we felt because there was this one area of the house that no matter what I did ...more
Hannah R
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cleaning-tidying
Enjoyed the first parts of the book about "Form School" Feng Shui. I was not really looking for the in depth information beyond that such as "Compass" Feng Shui. I appreciated the author's practical tone and couldn't agree more that our environments affect us deeply. Her anecdotes may have been a bit self promoting, but I found them so interesting!
Yea
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the info, the insights stories to better understand the context of the concept. I also love how she debunked fake "Feng Shui Myths" and everything else in between.

I recommend this book if you are looking to know the basics and to understand why Feng Shui works and how to make it work!
Natalie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This book makes you feel that you can decorate however you'd like, have good taste and still apply good feng shui.
Gayle
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. No nonsense ideas to make a home feel better. Feng Shui origins explained and demystified. Easy to understand.
Janice
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Not intimidating and I could jump right in. It was a quick read and gave me a lot of inspiration. As other reviews state, it is definitely a beginner's guide. I didn't know a lot about feng shui to begin with, so it was the perfect starter for me. It is well organized and easy to skip over parts that are irrelevant to one's interests (for example, we don't have a garage so I skipped that section). I got the most out of the "Form" school of feng shui section. This is practical ...more
Amanda McElwain
Dec 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was way too simple and I felt that the author was talking to somebody she felt was a gullible idiot. I don't know how this got more than 2 stars to be honest. Yes, it's very simple, but wasn't anything I didn't already know about fend shui. Her biased suggestion that people who have kids, whose kids own toys, have unhappy marriages was around the part I had to put the book down before I did something terrible... Like burn it. And I didn't only because it's a library book. Please name ...more
Katherine
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, chinese
I thought this book had a lot of practical suggestions. However, I thought the section at the end was very specific and seemed to contradict the easygoing "if the rule is silly and not relevant to modern life, that's ok" vibe from the beginning.

A good read if you're looking for some feng shui insight or moved into a new place.
Helen
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful book that does away with some of the gibberish out there on feng shui. Only deals with a couple of schools of thought so the reader is not confused with trying to work out what fits where. A keeper for me as I expect several rereadings from it.
Debbie McMurray
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
enjoyed it. It gives a logical straight forward approach to Feng Shui that seems to work. will be reading through it again as I tackle each room. No nonsence of you must do this or can't do that. Quite fun.
Jackie
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the best Feng Shui book I have ever read. It was practical, up to date, and made sense while explaining or dispelling myths. Thank you Cathleen for this wonderful book. I can't wait to read it again and get started one step at a time. Then probably read again :-)
Andreas Andersen
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clear, down to earth, credible and practical perspective on feng shui. Good visualizations of central concepts.
Mohammed
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. It makes total sense as expected. I'll write another review after applying it.
Daniela Short
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very helpful and simple. Loved it !
Odetta
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
this has definitely dumbed down some previously read books on Feng Shui and provided me with the confidence in using this technique in my design ideas as well as everyday... worth the read!!
Stella
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Feng Shui really makes sense. I loved this book so much I decided to take the online course the writer had just set up. So maybe i will become a feng shui practitioner!
Ilene Bayer
Jun 28, 2013
Steph
Nov 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
  • Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life: How to Use Feng Shui to Get Love, Money, Respect and Happiness
  • The Vampire Knitting Club (Vampire Knitting Club #1)
  • Decorating with the Five Elements of Feng Shui
  • A Beginner's Guide to the Ba Gua: Understanding the Feng Shui Energy Map (Fast Feng Shui Easy Guides Book 1)
  • Feng Shui: A Guide to the Must-Know Feng Shui Basics, Including the Feng Shui Bagua Map, Feng Shui Colors, and Other Important Feng Shui Tips
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter Trilogy, #3)
  • 31 Days To A Clean And Organized Home:  How To Organize, Clean, And Keep Your Home Spotless
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Chakra Healing: A Beginner's Guide to Self-Healing Techniques that Balance the Chakras
  • Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste
  • Fitness over 50: Weekly Workout Plan! (Success Over 50 Book 2)
  • Clean Mama's Guide to a Healthy Home: The Simple, Room-by-Room Plan for a Natural Home
  • This book will teach you how to write better: Learn how to get what you want, increase your conversion rates, and make it easier to write anything (using formulas and mind-hacks)
  • Emotional Intelligence: For a Better Life, success at work, and happier relationships. Improve Your Social Skills, Emotional Agility and Discover Why it Can Matter More Than IQ. (EQ 2.0)
  • 4 Essential Keys to Effective Communication in Love, Life, Work--Anywhere!
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. — Buddha” 1 likes
“A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul. — Phillip Moffitt Creating” 0 likes