Start by marking “Crow Country” as Want to Read:
Crow Country

Crow Country

From the author of the Chanters of Tremaris series comes  a contemporary time travel fantasy, grounded in the landscape of Australia

Beginning and ending, always the same, always now. The game, the story, the riddle, hiding and seeking. Crow comes from this place; this place comes from Crow. And Crow has work for you.

Sadie isn't thrilled when her mother drags her from the
Published May 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published August 24th 2011)

TheBookSmugglers
Originally posted on The Book Smugglers

So today I was supposed to be reviewing The Stillness of Time Travel a self-published novel by A.J. Maddicott. I learnt about the book at Foyles (The Best Indie Bookstore in the UK), which is one of the few bricks and mortar bookstores to sell the book because they love it so much. I had to buy it there and then and the book had been sitting on my TBR for a while until I decided it was about time to read it. And the premise is pretty cool: young boy learns
Rebecca McNutt
Similar to the 2007 film The Messengers, this book uses crows as a symbol and features a young girl thrown into chaos during a move from one place to another. In this rapid and initially unwelcomed switch of scenery, she finds friendship, adventure and wonderful memories.
Sarah Mayor Cox
I absolutely loved this book. I've only read Kate Constable's Tremaris series which is one of my absolute favourite fantasy series of all times - right up there with Le Guin, Nix, Pullman - so I shouldn't be at all surprised that I loved this book.

The story weaves together three stories from 3 generations and spans indigenous and non-indigenous themes. When Sadie's mother Ellie decides to move from the city to Boort, a small country town in northern Victoria, Sadie is not impressed. Boort is 'pa
Maree Kimberley
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww2013
I'm still in two minds about this book. One the one hand it's beautifully written, has good pacing, solid characters, good structure and brings important issues out into the open. The basic storyline - about a teenage girl who moves (against her wishes) to the small country town where her mother grew up - sets up the current racial conflicts, and those unresolved from the past, really well.

It is important to note the author liaised with Aboriginal Elders from the country she was writing about,
Anne Hamilton
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hmm... I was sure I'd reviewed this book several years back. But I couldn't find the review anywhere. So I decided to have another read of it to refresh my memory. Serendipitous choice - as the day after I started, I was able to offer a friend some significant info based on the contents of the book.

Ok, it's a timeslip adventure. Reminds me, just a little, of Rosanne Hawke's The Messenger Bird for that reason.

Though this is a book with a detached floaty feeling. In keeping with the character of
Lyn Battersby
Jan 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I picked it up, I put it down. I read something else. Rinse, repeat. I'm aware I should really love this because so far it really feels like the first true Australian book, but I don't. I just can't engage with it at all. I gave it high marks for its originality and its world
Gaby
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic story! The first few pages had me worried, but it only got better from there. A fast-paced book that draws on Aboriginal tales of Waa the Crow and creates a other-worldly and at times spooky story that jumps between present day and 1933. Many great themes to discuss with students: reconciliation, equal rights, drought, heritage etc.

I am very impressed with Crow Country and look forward to sharing it with grade five and six students.
Jenny
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this bit of holiday reading and I give it two thumbs up. A great book that explores the idea that the Dreaming of indigenous Australians' isn't just in the past but part of the present and future. Kate Constable has created believable young characters who are considering the importance of their own stories, how they're intertwined with the stories of people in their past and present and the power they have to create their own stories by making choices based in honesty and integrity ...more
Avril
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it

This has received very mixed reviews on Goodreads; some people love it and give it five stars, other people hate it and give it one. I don't quite understand the people who have described it as 'boring' (I felt like doing that irritating adult thing and saying "only boring people get bored"). I loved the descriptions of Boort and its surrounds, but maybe that's because I spent time up there after the 2011 floods and can picture the area. I found this a good teen time-slip novel, comparable to 'C
Bella
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Crow country is an okay book.
I read it only because I had to, and honestly I didn't like it that much.
Firstly, the main character Sadie annoyed me. I found her to be very selfish & childish.
Secondly, I still don't see the purpose of the whole book. While reading Crow Country, it builds up to a particular event & I don't see the importance of it. Along with that they never showed us what a particular object was so it's very hard to put together the pieces because this whole book was ab
Kate Forsyth
I am in such admiration of Kate Constable’s bravery and delicacy in writing this beautiful book, which draws upon Aboriginal mythology and Australian history to deal with themes of injustice, racism, truthfulness and atonement. Crow Country is a simple book, simply told, but that is part of its great strength. It tells the story of Sadie, an unhappy teenager who moves to the country with her flighty but loving mother. One day she stumbles across an Aboriginal sacred site, and a crow speaks to he ...more
Nadia Kemp
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can not describe how much I loved this book and could not put it down. I read it in a few hours which is rare for me. I loved the language used throughout that I would use every day, great to see book continue with common language and slang rather than to smarten itself up (in a way). The text is easy to read and I must comment Kate's description of indigenous culture that has been written with such respect.

This text should be studied in schools as it brings forward the importance of the past
Hannah Nikolai
Nov 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
this is the worst book I have ever read!
I had to read it for school and I know I was not the only one who found it boring and confusing
the story is weird and in some parts she says quite a few rude things about peoples races
I love books I do but this was not existing at all. the way Sadie traveled back in time as someone else but knew she was from present day but still thought like someone else was hard to read and had not much of a story line.
so many people complained about this book that aft
Isabelle
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was ok

Meh. This book should have been in the children's section, not the Young Adult. Can't really think of what else to say about it, it took me about 5 months to read, so I obviously didn't like it that much.
Lyndall
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and found I wanted more, I didn't want it to end. The Time Slips were done really well and without confusion. I also felt its very topical in year of the 20th anniversary for Mabo. Looking forward to introducing it in my school library.
Michelle
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where crows own the land and people can understand what the crows say. Crow Country is a fascinating look into Aboriginal spirituality. Our Australian indigenous culture is complex and incredibly interesting. This is a compelling read with a theme of wrongs can being made right.
Julie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book with relish. It reminded me of an Australian version of Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper. Mystery, spirituality, time travel...this is a book that covers a lot of ground. But to me it does these things well. Four stars.
Willman842
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good. A bit scary a times. Very good morel. At times I wondered why the librarians put this book in middle fiction rather than teenage fiction. I LOVED IT!!! :) 5 stars for me
*****
Catherine
Loved everything about this story, the characters, themes and especially the way the time slip was used to bring the stories together. Upper primary students of our school love it too.
Sue Bursztynski
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
great book! Go check my blog for my review.
Harvard
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I read it as consideration for an early high school English novel study, and for its purpose it's fine. But books like these give me such a case of uncertainty - I don't mean to denigrate the author or the immense amount of cultural research that must have gone into the novel, and I can't say that the book didn't educate me. Its use of characters and plot devices is nothing less than respectful, and I think it does present one very difficult concept fantastically (even if it relies a little on t ...more
Jane
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Tricky. This is excellent writing: vivid, pacy, real. Ordinarily this would be 4+ stars for me. But I'm troubled by the heroine being white, when the central premise takes from an important indigenous spiritual story. Why couldn't Sadie have been the sidekick, instead of Walter?

Perhaps you can read it as an analogy for how we settlers should attempt to redress our ancestors' crimes, but even then, the first nations characters should be the protagonists - demanding and receiving.

Sadie's story is
Rochelle
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this with my son as part of his homeschool. We both enjoyed it. It was well written and well paced. It was an intriguing read with a mystery to solve and time-travel of sorts. It has a focus on country and aboriginal spiritual culture. There was some swearing but not much and more of the milder form. A recommended read, especially for the 12-14 range.
Amanda Witt
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story, set in a country town, merging the current teenagers lives with their relatives events of the past, and local Aboriginal legends to ensure a wrong from the past is corrected in the now.
♀ ☽ ✧ the dragon queen ✧ ☾ ♀
i had to read this in 2016 for year 7. it's safe to say that i didn't finish it,,,

because G O D it was absolutely horrendous

BUT I STILL GOT AN A ON THE ASSIGNMENT H A H EAT THAT MISS JAJO
Cinta
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book I suggest anyone can read it.
Amelie
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!!! One of the best books EVER!
Sue
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read and a lovely time slip to the past to solve a mystery. Sadie is a good strong character. Good treatment of aboriginal issues. Great twist at the end.
Marion Martineer
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hauntingly beautiful and interesting story. Lovely Australian themes that are enticing not only for young readers. Definitely a story for all ages.
Hannah.w
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-work
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks (Verity Sparks, #1)
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • Only Ever Always
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • The Shiny Guys
  • Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel
  • The Ivory Rose
  • A Small Free Kiss in the Dark
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Things a Map Won't Show You: Stories from Australia & Beyond
  • Two Wolves
  • A Single Stone
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • When We Were Two
  • Darius Bell and the Glitter Pool (Darius Bell, #1)
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
Kate Constable was born in Sangringham, Melborne (Victoria, Australia). When she was six-years-old, her family moved to Papua New Guinea where her father worked as a pilot.

Constable got her Arts/Law degree at Melborne University, then got a job at Warner Music. She started writing during these years.

She wrote several short-stories before becoming an author and after her first attempt at writing
“The Dreaming is always; forever... it's always happening, and us mob, we're part of it, all the time, everywhere, and every-when too.” 6 likes
“The past is never over; it is never lost. It circles, as the stones circle, as the stars circle, as the sky circles.” 0 likes