Start by marking “Knitting Off the Axis: Projects and Techniques for Sideways Knitting” as Want to Read:
Knitting Off the Axis: Projects and Techniques for Sideways Knitting

Knitting Off the Axis: Projects and Techniques for Sideways Knitting

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A new angle on knitting.

Emerging knitwear designer Mathew Gnagy presents a fresh collection of fifteen projects for women and men with Knitting Off the Axis. The projects are both classic and stylish, incorporating clever combinations of textured stitches and design details.

Each of the fifteen patterns is designed in a one-of-a-kind way, focusing on knitting sideways or in
Published November 15th 2011 by Interweave Press (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Off the Axis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Off the Axis

Sara
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I tagged 3 projects that I'd knit right away if I had time. Love that the designs lean toward solid colored yarns, since I see too much variegated yarn designs lately and I'm beginning to agree with some, that they are starting to look like yarn vomit. Sorry. But it's true. Not all variegated is good. Sweater oriented, unique designs. I'd buy this, but it's great to know it is at my local library.
Chris Cook
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I am always interested in exploring knitting patterns that are unusual and innovative, and this book has patterns that qualify as both. There are a few men's sweaters I plan to try here, and even if I don't make the patterns in the book, there are techniques I may try to use in my own designs. This one is worth a read for experienced knitters.
Liz
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some interesting approaches to sideways knitting - the techniques used, rather than the actual patterns, are what I found most useful. Most of the patterns call for yarns unavailable in the UK, so careful substitutions are necessary.
Hannah
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Do NOT buy this book. As wonderful and alluring are the designs, the instructions are WRONG. Could not get the gauge on 3 patterns tried. And the number of rows per inch is critical since it is side-to-side knitting. VERY disappointing
Dee
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needle-crafts
Loved this book. The styles are very progressive and unique. The patterns seem pretty straight forward. I would definitely knit something from this book. Will probably purchase this one for my collection.
Lil' Grogan
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
Liked the focus on horizontal knits and tips for constructing garments in this way. However, the garments themselves are pretty boxy and not appealingly shaped for my tastes. Disappointed pattern-wise.
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafting
i was hoping for more in the patterns. There were a few interesting patterns but they seem to involve a lot of seams and I am not sure that I will come back to them.
Mckinley
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nice patterns but nothing I'd wear (wide sleeves and such).
Normadeee
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing knitting book with perfect and easy to follow patterns!
Kristie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Thought some of the projects were interstng, but the writing a bit tedious and uninteresting.
Irene