Start by marking “Four Ghost Stories by Mrs. Molesworth, Fiction, Historical” as Want to Read:
Four Ghost Stories by Mrs. Molesworth, Fiction, Historical

Four Ghost Stories by Mrs. Molesworth, Fiction, Historical

A ghost? "One that was a woman, sir; but, rest her soul, she's dead."

I myself have never seen a ghost (I am by no means sure that I wish ever to do so), but I have a friend whose experience in this respect has been less limited than mine. Till lately, however, I had never heard the details of Lady Farquhar's adventure, though the fact of there being a ghost story which she
Published June 1st 2011 by Aegypan (first published 1877)

Be the first to ask a question about Four Ghost Stories by Mrs. Molesworth, Fiction, Historical

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
If you are looking for really scary stories, this is not for you. I hate seeing so many low-starred reviews just because people were looking for something unreasonable to look for in a Victorian story. Get a grip, people! If you want scary, read The Shining. This is not going to be scary, and this is not why it was written. What these stories are.. They are musings on something nostalgic, on something mysterious, on something cozy and a little eerie, that makes you wonder about things. That was ...more
Eloise Sunshine
Armsalt stiilipuhas Victoria-aegsete kummituslugude kogumik.
Siit pole mõtet otsida hirmujudinaid tekitavaid õuduslugusid, mida tänapäevane Hollywood verd tarretama panevalt lavastada sooviks. Need on pooleldi (või ka osalt täielikult) romantilised ja vana-aegsed jutud ajastust, mil inimesed käisid veel jala, tegid kaminasse tuld ja jagunesid peamiselt aristokraatideks ning suuremalt jaolt talupoegadeks.
Need on suust suhu levivad jutustused ebatavalistest juhtumitest ja kogemustest, mille algse
John
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of four stories by an author I haven't read before but will certainly keep an eye out for in future; unlike the case with so many of the lesser Victorian writers, there's a definite storytelling ability and facility with language here. The stories themselves, alas, while always very readable are for the most part -- three out of four -- no great shakes as stories.

The first and the last in the collection -- "Lady Farquhar's Old Lady" and "The Story of the Rippling Train" -- do little
I Lt. Kimberly Landen
Real chilling ghost stories told as the characters travel throughout Europe. I could not put the kindle down it was so very interesting like I was traveling with them unwinding these four short tales...
Jenae (Jeni)
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is an older book that took me a little bit to get through. It was a decent read, if a bit wordy.
Grampy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
It was okay. I've read better, but I've also read worse. These "Four Ghost Stories" were basically recitations of rather lengthy lead-ins to a simple observance of a ghostly essence. Nothing "spooky" or frightening about any of the stories, but one cannot complain too much, because the title is certainly an honest depiction of what you're getting... Four Ghost Stories.
Sem
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 stars for 'Unexplained' which, although it lacked significant chill factor, was an excellent and atmospheric read. The other three stories were charming but inconsequential. I'd be inclined to say that Mrs. Molesworth didn't quite know what to do with her ghost once she'd caught him (or her) but I'll suspend judgement until I've read 'Uncanny Tales'.
Cathy
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice ghost stories in the traditional mold, heavy on the "this really happened!" type of narrative. The stories themselves are nothing out of the ordinary, but I really liked Molesworth's narrative voice, which is graceful and informal at the same time. She is a lovely person to tell you a story!
Danielle
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very poorly written.
Julie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
the writing was a little slow, probably dated by the period it was written in. it was just OK.
Krista
Apr 19, 2014
michelle lawson
Jan 18, 2015
Ellison Darling
rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2014
  • Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories
  • One Thousand and One Ghosts
  • Black Spirits and White - A Book of Ghost Stories
  • Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales
  • Esperanza (Hungry Ghosts, #1)
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • Three John Silence Stories (John Silence #1)
  • The Castle of Otranto, Vathek & Nightmare Abbey
  • Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Vicious Cycle
  • The Bell in the Fog & Other Stories
  • Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales
  • A Mortal Glamour
  • Old Haunts:  A London City Novel
  • The Sopping Thursday
Mary Louisa Molesworth, née Stewart was an English writer of children's stories who wrote for children under the name of Mrs Molesworth. Her first novels, for adult readers, Lover and Husband (1869) to Cicely (1874), appeared under the pseudonym of Ennis Graham. Her name occasionally appears in print as M.L.S. Molesworth.

She was born in Rotterdam, a daughter of Charles Augustus Stewart (1809–1873)