Start by marking “Surrender (Possession, #2)” as Want to Read:
Surrender (Possession, #2)

Surrender

(Possession #2)

Forbidden love, intoxicating power, and the terror of control…

Raine has always been a good girl. She lives by the rules in Freedom. After all, they are her father’s rules: He’s the Director. It’s because of him that Raine is willing to use her talent—a power so dangerous, no one else is allowed to know about it. Not even her roommate, Vi.

All of that changes when Raine fall
Published June 5th 2012 by Simon Pulse (first published June 1st 2012)

YA Novels of 2012
1,323 books — 10,712 voters
Pandemonium by Lauren OliverHallowed by Cynthia HandFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
2012 YA/MG Sequels
143 books — 843 voters

More lists with this book...

Meredith Allen
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
can't wait to read!!!

Not a fan when author changes Point of view

loved it!!!!
Amy Fournier
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as fantastic as the first one, if not more. I absolutely loved it!! Raine and Gunner are fantastic characters with so much depth to them.I really enjoyed getting to know them and some of the other new characters we get introduced to. No worries, we still get Vi and Jag too. This is pretty fabulously action packed. Also very emotionally intense at times too. I was so engaged in this book, I didn't have a clue (or care) what was going on around me while I was reading.

I will star
Mimi Valentine
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, reviewed
"Someone is always watching. Always listening. Freedom doesn't exist in the city of Freedom, what with the glinting silver surfaces recording thoughts everywhere and the surrounding walls keeping everyone and everything in—or out." (Gunner, pg.1 in the ARC)

The second book syndrome — where the sequel is a filler that isn't as good as the first — used to be one of my biggest fears, but lately it's as if that doesn't even exist and Surrender is no exception. I couldn't put it down!

Old characters l
Christine Fonseca
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
I loved Possession and the world created by Elana Johnson. And I loved Surrender even more. In this latest installment, we are introduced to new characters, new love, and new types of supernatural abilities. I loved Raine - everything about her. I loved her attitude, her complexities, and her relationship with Gunner. This is an action-packed fabulous second in a series. Where other series begin to falter with book two, this one is just taking off!

BRING ON MORE!!!!!!!!
Shannon O'Donnell
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!!! Even better than Possession!!

Right now I am too speechless for words. Review to come later.
Ela
Aug 07, 2011 marked it as to-read
I disliked Possession so I have no freaking idea why this is on my to- reads.
Sadia
Dec 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-release, neeeedd
But....but... what about Vi's POV? I want more Vi&Jag!

I actually like the sound of the sypnosis but I was just really looking forward to reading in Vi's POV again. Maybe Johnson will put in a few chapters in Vi's POV or maybe the next book...
Mitch
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I really didn’t like Possession, but I’m glad I gave Elana Johnson another try. Surrender's a massive improvement over the first book, and I really think this series is morphing into one that I’ll really like, and I’m not saying that lightly, I’m not a fan of dystopians at all. Maybe the next book will really impress me.

But what most impressed me about this book was how Johnson seems to have taken the criticism of her first one to heart, I know I wasn’t alone in thinking Possession was too confu
Elise
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes!! Go Elana!! Finally!

To understand my review of this one, you have to understand the situation with the first book.

I did not enjoy the first book. I didn't like the characters. I thought the world building was horrifyingly pale. I didn't understand what the heck happened at the end. The pacing was slaughtered at the beginning of every chapter.

This one? HUGE improvement. And I mean gargantuan.

I loved, loved, LOVED reading this one. The characters were lovely and flawed and relatable and il
Silvia Rodríguez Conejo
Nov 23, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sequel-own, tb12
I sooooooo can't wait to read this book. I was a bit discouraged when I learned that it was going to be told from another point of view since Vi really grew on me, but after reading the description of the book I like the way it is set. I just hope that for a third book we get to read from Vi's point of view again.

Why June???? This is one of the books I'm anticipating the most!!! I can't wait half a year to have it! T_T
Rhiannon Ryder
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Oh how I wish I'd read Surrender first! All that was confusing and unclear about Johnson's world, the technology and the various forms of control, all that was muddied about relationships and powers- was beautifully described and fleshed out in Surrender. Right from the outset, everything was described more fully, and clearly, before the story started to weave it's sordid tale, so I could sit back and enjoy the complex story arc instead of constantly trying to figure it out

Surrender follows a ne
Taffy
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Fist line:

"Someone is always watching."

Dude! I love Elana! And her writing. And she is a master promoter/marketer/genius.

Let's get down to it.

Elana has introduced us to new characters in SURRENDER. Raine and Gunner are struggling with the rules they are forced to live by. Their matched is picked as well as their jobs, food, how much they sleep and what their free time entails. I know I would be one of those people brainwashed into total submission because I have a bit of a problem with people te
Evelin⛧ Wayward  Daughter
All I can say is that I loved it more than the first book XD
Darlene
I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

This series just keeps getting better and better!

Surrender is the second book in the Possession series. Until now, the novella, Regret, was my favourite in the series but that one just got bumped into second place! This latest installment in the series focuses on the city of Freedom, which is actually a misnomer – the residents don’t
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Talk about an action packed, incredibly awesome, twist filled sequel! Surrender dives right back into the world I fell in love with in Possession. Though there's the same problems and some of the same characters I loved in the first book, in Surrender Elana introduces new characters, and creates a whole new storyline that adds so much to the continuation of the overall series plot line. I really liked that Elana changed things up a bit with Surrender. She gave me different points of vie
Heather
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
********May Include Spoilers if You have not read POSSESSION*********************

Well, I feel like two completely different authors wrote Possession and Surrender. While Possession posed so many questions and had things that just didn't sit right or make sense, Surrender reads smoothly and continuously with the viewpoints alternating between Gunner and Raine, two characters not seen in Possession. I love that kind of narration as I love to hear the male POV, but this one wasn't quite as much abo
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

4.5/5 stars.

There will be some spoilers from Possession (book 1).

I have to say I really enjoyed Surrender. It was obviously a huge risk not to have Vi as the narrator. At first I was not sure if I would like this. But then when I heard that Vi would still be in the story ... well I'm open to try anything.

It's definitely interesting to have two new characters as narrators (they alternate chapters). But i absolutely ended up loving Raine and Gunner. They were so important to where the story was he
Shameeka Alexis
I love that kind of narration as I love to hear the male POV, but this one wasn't quite as much about feelings.
There was a lot of action, but this is a book mainly about hiding ou
Avery
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In my review of "Possession" by Elana Johnson, the first book in her "Possession" series, I noted that on multiple occasions I was EXTREMELY confused by exactly what was going on in the novel, for a number of different reason- constantly changing relationships, lack of context/ explanation, and the likes of. However, I did not find that to be the case WHATSOEVER with this book. Everything in this book was so beautifully described, well executed and the likes of- it becomes evident that Elana has ...more
Alexa
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 4-stars
well i think alot of ppl like raine so don't read this if u like her or if u r in love with gunn or zenn
I liked the book i just got super bored through the beginning and i didn't like hearing or reading this book from gunner's pov. I didn't like him in the beginning the way he was kinda crazy about raine i get that he had a crush but come on.
Oh and toast come on what was up with that toast is the authors favorite snack cuz the characters kept eating toast.
Now raine's power well i didn't like i
Rebecca Gordon
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Possesssion series is the dystopian series that most resembles 1984 in my opinion. I really enjoy the series with its stunning revelations and Surrender by Elana Johnson was a constant surprise. Raine is a good girl who has some secret interests and talents. Her father is the Director so she follows all of the Freedoms rules or so he thinks. Raine has a powerful and terrifying talent that no one is allowed to know about except her father and his lackeys. Raine has always been intrigued by Gu ...more
Michelle Wrona

After reading Possession, I couldn't wait to read its sequel. Now, I finally did, and I think that I am pleased with the outcome.

Raine Hightower follows the rules in Freedom, and is everything a good girl could ask for. She also has a power that no one knows about, not even her roommate Vi. When Raine falls for Gunner, everything changes. She knows that she has to keep away from him, but it's difficult, especially when she finds some secretive things from him that could change her life forev
Kristi
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I liked the first novel in this series, Possession. There were things that I really enjoyed and things I didn’t so much. BUT! I loved Surrender! Oh goodness was this book good! I’m not sure if I would call Surrender a sequel or a companion. We are in the same world and Surrender starts soon after Possession ends, but instead of Vi and Jag, we get Raine and Gunner. I guess it’s more of a sequel than a companion when I look at it like that! Either way, you will want to read Possession before ...more
Becky Keir Grace
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopian
I came very close to giving up on this book, but I stuck it out and got to the end. *sigh

Raine is the daughter of the director and she is supposed to spy on her roommate Violet. The Vi from the first book is gone. Brainwashed. Raine tends to do exactly what her father does not want to do, so she ends up helping Vi out. Gunner is kind of a mystery.

I enjoyed the first book in this series, but this one, where do I begin? I tend to get annoyed in series when the sequel introduces all new people, an
Stasia Kehoe
SURRENDER isn’t an ordinary sequel. While characters from the first novel play key roles, new characters are introduced and this is their story. It is the story of Raine, who despite being the daughter of the powerful Director Hightower, finds herself resisting the world of control in which she has been raised. It is the story of Gunner, who is falling for Raine despite who she is—and despite the sudden discovery that the woman he has always believed was his mother may not be that at all. This i ...more
Jen
Jun 06, 2012 is currently reading it
So far I'm really enjoying this second installment, although the OCD astronomer in me HAS to point out that in fact the North Star is NOT the brightest star in the night sky. That award would go to Sirius in the constellation Canis Major. Polaris (the north star) ranks about 45th brightest.....;)
Thona
Jan 02, 2013 added it
Eh, I was hoping for some zenn-jagg-vi spin off. but this was good, but you left us hanging Elana, shame on you. It's like we were so goddamn thirsty for the main spin off and you had the bottle filled with the quenching liquid but you decide to hold out on us. Damn you woman.
Odaznava Oahin
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mind-blown and pissed that Raine doesn't get the justice she deserves in this book. I can't wait to get my hands on the final book of the series. I am definitely hooked and hesitant and eager of what will become of the end...
Jemi Fraser
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant! I'm breathless after reading this - I'm going to be thinking about this one for days and days... Loved it!
Leah Ryan
Apr 21, 2012 marked it as to-read
Not happy that this isn't from Vi's perspective.
What are your deepest desires? 5 16 Nov 30, 2014 12:10PM
What.The. Heck. 3 62 Nov 10, 2011 09:07AM
Teachers' Book Club: New Books Announced 2 34 Sep 22, 2011 08:08AM
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • Mirage (Winterhaven, #2)
  • Hollow
  • A Touch Morbid (The Sider Series Book 2)
  • The Marked (Delcroix Academy, #2)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Thumped (Bumped, #2)
  • Promised (Birthmarked, #3)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse, #3)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
I am the author of the POSSESSION series, which includes novels POSSESSION, SURRENDER, and ABANDON, as well as short stories REGRET (ebook only) and RESIST (free here on Goodreads).

ELEVATED and SOMETHING ABOUT LOVE, YA contemporary romances in verse are both out now.

My next futuristic fantasy series includes ELEMENTAL RUSH (novella), ELEMENTAL HUNGER (novel), and ELEMENTAL RELEASE (novella). All

Possession (3 books)
  • Possession (Possession, #1)
  • Abandon (Possession, #3)
“Every person has a season for knowledge.” 16 likes
“Maybe if she saw Jag again... maybe that would wake her up. But if she sees him and remembers, I'm nobody. In more than ways than one.” 8 likes