Start by marking “Good Fences” as Want to Read:
Good Fences

Good Fences

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Morris Payne lives alone, sleeps alone, works alone. It’s the only way to keep his agoraphobic panic attacks at bay. And he’s got plenty to panic about. His best employer isn’t hiring, rival hackers are nosing in on the only job he can get, and his virtual accountant has just told him he’s broke. But a blizzard in Detroit and the power outage that comes with it are exactly ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by M. H. Mead

To ask other readers questions about Good Fences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Fences

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Purchased on Amazon

Morris Payne is a hacker. Not just any hacker, one of the elite hackers. With a blizzard shutting down Detroit he has an opportunity to do a very tricky and risky hack before public utilities can get the power back up. However, just as he’s getting ready to start his delicate mission his neighbors, the Chens, come knocking at his door, bringing chaos (and a huge power drain on his reserve batteries) to his agoraphobic existence.

I love this story and I love Morri
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
Good Fences is a 8,700 word short story written by co-authors Margaret Yang and Harry R. Campion writing as M. H. Mead. Morris has agoraphobia, which means he has panic attacks in public places and social conditions that he perceives to be out of his control. The conflict revolves around Morris’ interactions with his unwanted neighbours while trying to pull off a major hacking job in the middle of a blizzard with the power going out. Most of the action takes place in Morris’ suburban house in th ...more
Bronwyn Green
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good Fences is one of the most unique books I’ve had the pleasure of reading in recent memory. It also has the distinction of being one of the best. A near future setting, an agoraphobic, unwanted yet unavoidable guests and illegal activity make for a tense, gripping read.

Despite the fact that this is a relativity short novella, all of the characters are well drawn and completely three-dimensional. There’s not a caricature or poorly developed character to be seen. All are believably written and
Bob Clarkson
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agoraphobia is a nasty, debiltating mental abberition. I battled it for almost 10 years and this well written story spiked my blood pressure and gave me an unwelcome charge of adrenaline and a closing of my throat.

While the story focused on the critical hack, doing something at that level of mental competance under that physical and mental pressure is nearly unbelievable.

I was surprised all of the Chen's survived.

For some people, this was horror at its worst.
Lisa Cleveland
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and I liked it in spite of the agoraphobic. But, this isn't my kind of story at all. I would recommend it though. I'm just not into the whole tech thing.
Julie