Start by marking “The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)

The Fury

(The Vampire Diaries #3)

A Love Triangle of Unspeakable Horror... Stefan Tormented after losing Elena, he's determined to end the feud with his brother, Damon--whatever the cost.

Damon Mocking Stefan and Elena, he laughs in the face of doom.

Elena Wild with her craving for blood, she confronts the ultimate evil.

The terrifying story of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.
Mass Market Paperback, Reissue, 285 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Fury, please sign up.
Katie I just finished this book and I thought that it would have been a very good ending. I feel like there is no plot left that could be used to tie the…moreI just finished this book and I thought that it would have been a very good ending. I feel like there is no plot left that could be used to tie the fourth book to the first three in the series. Therefore, I guess book four will be quite... well, clumsy and forced. So, yes, I also thought that the series should have ended at this point.(less)

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I can't say anything about this series I haven't already said.

I love it.

The end.

Heather Hamilton
After finishing book three of the Vampire Diaries, and liking it considerably more than the first two installments, I noticed the irony of the titles and how I felt about each book.

The Awakening - I never woke up for it.

The Struggle - I struggled to get through it.

The Fury - I was gonna be really irritated if this book wasn't moderately better than the first two.

Thank you! It was better! (Moderately.)

Even though I admire people who can put books down when they don't like them, I find that I lear
Kate ♡
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
The Fury, The Vampire Diaries #3

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book a-lot more than the first two, it was constantly engaging and I found myself actually being excited and anticipating what was to come.

I had my theories of who the 'big bad' was in this book, and I was right! thank you TV show

I connected a-lot more to the characters in this one, and really just enjoyed them all a whole lot more!

My sister actually was my own personal audiobook and read aloud to me for about 30 pages becaus
Mariah Roze
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this in high school and really enjoyed it! That's about all I can remember.
Jamie
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am giving this book a generous 4 stars. 3.5 is most accurate. The onle reason its not a three is a semi-unexpected twist toward the end. Otherwise this book follows along the same lines as the other books.
Elena is less self-centered and Damon is more likable than he was previously. I hope to read more about him as the series continues. Stefan is way to angsty from beginning to end and I have a feeling he always will be. The story once again seemed rushed and too short. Lot of unnessessary tho
Santi
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
[Quoted from this book:]

Finish it, his weary voice said in her mind.

Elena hesitated for an instant. There was something about those eyes that called up memories inside her. Standing in the moonlight, sitting in an attic room… But the memories were too vague. She couldn’t get a grasp on them, and the effort made her dizzy and sick.

And this one had to die, this green-eyed one called Stefan. Because he’d hurt him, the other one, the one Elena had been born to be with. No one could hurt him and li
Baneen
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-j-smith
The book was really nice. So touching. I didn't liked the end, though. Elena never actually got to tell Damon that she loved him. I would have like to see his reaction to those words. The Stefan-Damon end was really touching. The last line was really beautiful. There's not enough of Damon in the book as I'd have liked but I really hope we get to see more of him in the next.
nova ryder ☼
well that was A LOT better than the other ones. so much so that i was tempted to give it more than 3 stars. also... now i really need to go read the next one cause idk how they’re gonna follow up with an ending like that
Jill
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This review is just for "The Fury" which is book three in the "Vampire Diaries" series. This series continues to surprise me. SPOILER ALERT I did not expect Elena to be turned into a vampire. I know it is the logical outcome of spending time with vampires, but when it happened in book two I was surprised. I kind of put the book down in shock at that point. Then the conclusion of this one was full of more surprises. It turns out I was totally wrong about who the Other Power was. Part of me hopes ...more
Sanara♥
Better than the 1st two books. The story was more interesting with a bit more suspense + the characters finally improved.
I didn't like how it started but it improved a bit later (once Elena was back in her senses to be precise). The characters were still kind of annoying but they had improved a lot when comparing to the previous 2 books.

I especially like the ending of the book...the diary entry by Bonnie was a nice touch.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Smut fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: fantasticfiction.cc
To the pretties who are obsessed with vampires,

I don't know... When I started this series I guess I was expecting this quality.
 photo tumblr_l5n53m5kVE1qbqzj6o1_250_zpsbp8hdwm1.gif

And yes I know that not all vampire fiction can be as awesome as Vampire Hunter D, but I was expecting a lot more out of Smith on Vampire Diaries. Her Night World series was so much better in: plot, romance, and overall character. I'm baffled as to the reason why this show has done so well on the CW/WB.

Instead by the end of this installment I literally was like Captain
Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)
Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads

4.75/5.

I just can't give it that extra .25 star, and I don't know why. I just know it isn't exactly a favourite like my other 5 star books. Or maybe it is. I may change it in a couple of hours.

This book was haunting. It had brilliant writing, and nothing was predictable. It had angst and comfort, and tbh the romance was at its low. But I'm not complaining. Because we got an amazing dose of Katherine.

Oh, Katherine. What a treat she is.

Abso
Janani(ஜனனி)
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
I.HATE.KATHERINE
Shaz
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
THESE BOOKS ARE SO CONFUSING but creepy and very clever. The foreshadowing is on point.
Josh (Beards & Books)
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-tbr
Another strong book in the series, I don't personally think it's as strong as the show but that won't stop me reading more!

Onto book #4!
Azbaqiyah
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It's sad...it just so sad...
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jun 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Elena wakes up from where she has been pulled out of the river – she’s not dead; or rather she is, but she’s a vampire. Which means she has a whole new life to prepare for as a blood drinking creature of the night. Further, she’s in Fells Church where everyone believes she is dead – an act that is causing all kinds of drama and grief.

And then there’s Stefan and Damon – though betrothed to Stefan she now looks at Damon and finds him unnaturally compelling because… I don’t know, just run with it.
Darlin'
Dec 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Oh why younger me? Why? Think of all the money you wasted on these things....
Miglė Keliotytė
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably liked this part the most. Elena has really grown as a character. Plus, the ending was cool. Hah, I already started reading the fourth book. That says something, I guess.
Alana
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Sigh. When people talk about paranormal YA these days, there's a lot to choose from in the genre and even if I haven't read it all, I get the sneaking suspicion that most of it isn't brilliant. When it comes to The Vampire Diaries, however, I knew that LJ Smith and her series had been around before Twilight and that claims were made about how it seemed hard to believe that Meyer hadn't read Smith's series, given certain similarities. So while fishing about for something to read in the wake of th ...more
Erin
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not been impressed with this series and once again, this one didn't really impress me.

As with the theme, this one picks up exactly where the other one left off and slowly builds off from there. The whole book, they kept mentioning this other power and that something bad was going to happen.

So I waited.

And I waited.

Until finally, everything that was building up started to happen... only for it to end twenty pages later. It was incredibly upsetting for me to get that far into it and fin
Siobhan
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I hate myself for this, but I watched the television series first. I rarely do this, but in this case I did. In all honestly, I’m glad I did it that way around. Had I read the books first I would not have watched the show. Whilst I have come to dislike the show I at least lasted through a number of series. With the books I hated most of the characters from book one, and only continued on because I’d been brought the first four books (yeah, I do love to subject myself to torture).

If I read this c
Tatiana
I am…content with how things wrapped up in The Fury. It all made sense. The characters were left in plausible places within the plot. Elena's journey as a newborn vampire was interesting. Her evolution from self-centered Queen Bee to self-sacrificing vamp was well done.

I would have liked a bit more Damon, as always. I am curious to see how it’s possible to have more books in this series, though, with the way it ended. (I guess they could continue without Elena.) Also, with Katherine returning o
Praveen Alluri
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was awesome and i am not saying that just because of it's plot twists but also because of it's ending.Now as much as i would love to hate the ending i just can't force myself. It turned into a really nice trilogy with a good ending.
Ray
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: vamp-romance
I read this third installment. I found it okay. I didn't think it was amazing. I liked the ending. I wasn't blown away though. I don't find the plot to be as blazing as I had hoped. I am still struggling with whether I am more affected by the tv show and therefor the books are a let down? I would love to hear from anyone who has read one and seen the show. I am at a crossroads as to whether or not to read any more.
Blodeuedd Finland
Stefan

Damon
Mocking Stefan and Elena, he laughs in the face of doom.

Elena
Wild with her craving for blood, she confronts the ultimate evil.

Genre: Paranormal romance, YA
Pages: 256
Published: 1991

The Vampire Diaries #3

Something evil is in town. People think Stefan is a murderer, and Elena is a vampire. So everyon
Kathy Horsman
If I could only give you one reason to read this book, I would tell you read it for the ending. It was tragic, intense and so filled with emotion that it really turned the whole series around. Of course, it also made me want to pick up #4 immediately, so DAMN YOU!

Elena is a new vampire and she goes CRAZY with bloodlust. She doesn't even remember who Stefan is! For that matter, who anyone is until reality starts to come back a few days later. The most tragic part of the whole thing was the fact t
Nicola
Well, this was definitely better than the first two books in the series! It was MUCH more entertaining to read and I found less of an urge to just skim. There was a lot more happening than in the previous books, the characters were a lot more intriguing and the writing itself just felt better. These books are pretty short so perhaps that's why it's taking L.J Smith so long to actually get anywhere in the story! I'm still not a huge fan of Elena... or Stefan. However, I really think Damon is a fu ...more
Vikas
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third part of the original trilogy. Very nice and this time Elena becomes Vampire and it's how she goes and deals with her new feelings. As the gangs deals with Elena's new reality and also the fact that all the going ons are not Damon's doing.

Bonnie's power are explained, Real bad guy comes forward. And the ones who have been the show they would be waiting for the different characters to appear. It's the fun if you watch the TV or Movie before the book and also true if you read the book first.

W
Sara
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
this book better than serial
at least Elena doesn't be in love with Damon
i was wonder what kind of drama makes Elena leave Stefan after 2 seasons of sacrifice and love , to be in love with his brother Damon , after Stefan sacrifice himself to save Damon!!
this story based on drama , so if it haven't a good drama why i see it for 7 seasons ?

• Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire, #5)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
  • Reckoning (The Fallen, #4)
  • Inhuman
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Voice Of The Blood (Voice of Blood, #1)
  • Evil Returns (Vampire's Promise, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Vampire Diaries (4 books)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
“Very touching. Do you want me to imitate a violin?” 130 likes
“Something was shining on Damon's face. She reached toward it, touched it, and lifted her fingers away in wonder.
"Don't be sad," she told him, feeling the cool wetness on her fingertips. But a pang of worry disturbed her. Who was there to understand Damon now? Who would be there to push him, to try to see what was really inside him? "You have to take care of each other," she said, realizing it. A little strength came back to her, like a candle flaring in the wind. "Stefan, will you promise? Promise to take care of each other?”
99 likes