Start by marking “Butterflies” as Want to Read:
Butterflies

Butterflies

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  402 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Katherine is almost eighteen. Severely burned when she was three, she dreams that one day, she will look like everyone else. An extraordinary story where trauma and pain become triumph and a passion for living.
Published June 1st 2012 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterflies

Jesten
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the minority with my opinion of this book, but I just couldn't get into the writing. I really support the message and the plot, but I just couldn't look past the way the story was told.
Steph Bowe
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Butterflies tells the story of Katherine, a seventeen-year-old Italian-Australian girl who is still disfigured after falling into a fire pit when she was three years old.

Butterflies is told through a combination of Katherine’s tumultuous and sometimes disconnected thoughts, recollections of events in the past – how she was burnt, time in hospitals – and Katherine’s present life. I thought this was a really beautiful novel; written prettily but simply, and I found Katherine to be a layered and i
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Butterflies is an intense but real walk through the life of a girl who has suffered tragedy in her past while giving the reader glimpses into the lives of those she has touched. Told in the not-so-common third person, present tense, the story unfolds in a combination of current events and past memories in such a way that keeps the reader guessing, wondering why certain concerns come up, why some things upset certain characters, or why the
Siobhan
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book is important to me. The author who wrote this book spent a considerable amount of time with one of my specialists conducting research for this book. A specialist I have been seeing since early infancy. That's why my mum bought it. That and the fund raised from the books sale went directly to the hospital.

Truth be told this book touched me in ways very similar to that of TFiOS. TFiOS reminded me of this book and I had to rush over here and add it before I forgot. I have a habit of forge
Estelle
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone 11and up
Recommended to Estelle by: My friend
This is one of my favorite books EVER!!!! I loved it! I have read it like four times!!!!!!!!
Susanne Gervay is an extraordinary author. It was sad, but really good.
Okay, I shall give you a spoiler.
Severely burnt as a toddler, Katherine has had many operations. All her life she has tried to fit in with her peers, but now at eighteen she feels the need to even more. In this fabulous book, Katherine finds love, makes true friends and has the operation that will make her look like everyone else.
Read
Susanne Gervay
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine is just like any other eighteen year old - she has dreams and she has insecurities. Still, she is keenly aware that she doesn't look like other eighteen year olds. An accident at the age of three has left her with severe burn scars.
At times Katherine believes that no one else can possibly understand her problems, but as she deals with them and grows, she learns to communicate - with those around her and with herself. She faces her troubles with dignity and with humour, refusing to giv
Jennie Lower
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet book for age 13-ish. Bought for my niece who wants to be a doctor, so the medical aspect will be right up her alley.
Hanna
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Butterflies by Susanne Gervay is a heartfelt story about a girl, Katherine, that is left with with third-degree burns on her body after she falls into a fire pit when she is just a toddler. Katherine faces many challenging conflicts, including meeting her dad, who left her family after the accident. She also faces many important decisions, such as whether she should continue to swim after her coach suggests that she should apply for the Paralympic Games. She is self-conscious of her burns, and s ...more
Jill Smith
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine is nearly eighteen and just wants to be like everyone else. She was severely burnt at age 3 and has undergone many operations to get her to where she is. Will she ever be able to wear her hair up? Should she put her head in a bag as one boy said in a cruel comment? No, Katherine goes on and strives to be better. Her Italian born mother and her sister are always there for her. Her nightmares still haunt her; will she always be the Beast not Beauty?

This book is so touching. Susanne Gerva
Helna
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terjemahan, teenlit
"Bekas luka itu akan selalu ada. Sekarang sudah tidak banyak. Kurasa tidak masalah lagi bagiku. Aku tidak begitu takut lagi." Katherine. (hal.258) tersenyum membaca kalimat terakhir ini. :)

Kagum dengan Ibu Katherine yang begitu menyayangi dan menerima keadaan Katherine. Memang begitulah seharusnya seorang ibu.

Dan Katherine, semangatnya untuk melewati masa-masa sulit operasi membuatku malu.

Tatapan orang-orang saat melihat luka bakar pada tubuh seseorang dan pertanyaan demi pertanyaan tentang se
Penny Reeve
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Butterflies' is an emotional novel about identity, friendship, first love and family/ The story is told from the perspective of Katherine, a 17 year old living with scars (both physical and emotional) of third degree burns she survived as a toddler.
The narrative is interspersed with flashbacks that fill out the story behind Katherine's current situation and her emotional struggle for identity and place.
Susanne Gervay has obviously done an enormous amount of research for this novel, both about
Sara
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to every girls
Recommended to Sara by: Deane
Shelves: terjemahan
I borrowed this book from my friend, Deane (who's usually the one who borrow my books).
and since the first chapter, I officially loved this book!
the girl, Katherine, was the same girl inside like other girls. she likes guys, she has a few hobbies, and everything. she's normal, except the fact she has a defect from her childhood.
for one thing, I really understand why she loved hard rock music much and how she avoided stupid guy who mocked her. that's almost the same thing as I am.
I mean, every gi
Melissa Wray
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Susanne Gervay book and what a book to begin with! I have read about this talented lady and looked at other reviews however and can see why such a fuss is made. Katherine's story was written so simply yet eloquently. I loved the strength and determination shown by Katherine. You want to feel sorry for her but her attitude won't allow it. Instead you connect with her in ways that relate to you. Feelings of self consciousness and self doubt, wanting acceptance and craving independ ...more
J M Leitch
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about a girl who suffers disfiguring burns at the age of three years old. At eighteen she suffers the struggles of growing up. We learn about her relationships with friends and family and her strength in the face of insensitive cruelty. It is a beautifully written novel and I am fortunate enough to have a copy signed by the author with a personal dedication. In the words of Susanne herself, Butterflies is about our journey as mothers, girls and women. Thank you for writing it, Susa ...more
Tammy
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Butterflies is an incredibly beautifully written and inspiring novel. Katherine is beginning to question those around her. Her mother, her father, her sister, and her friends. In a horrifying accident that left her with severe burns as a toddler, Katherine is also beginning to feel self-conscious of her scars and wants all the graft surgery she can get. But after a while, she begins to realise that people are actually beginning to accept her for who she is, and not what she looks like.
Hazel Edwards
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A sensitive novel about coping . Highly recommended.
Abbey Hinton
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read was called Butterflies by Susanne Gervay. This was a great eye-opening, moving, well written book that deserves five stars. Katherine is a seventeen-year-old girl who lives with her mom and twenty-two-year-old sister. When she was almost three years old, she was severely burnt in an accident. When they were all very young, Katherine's father left due to all the stress and chaos caused from the incident. Throughout the book, Katherine has to deal with skin grafts constantly becaus ...more
Savannah Webster
🦋 “Out of the suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars” -Kahlil Gibran 🦋
Katherine is only 17 but she’s had to deal with a lot in her life. She was burned badly as a toddler; and has since had multiple surgeries, grafts, implants, and more pain than a child should have to endure. Her father walked away from her family shortly after being burned leaving her Italian – born mother alone in Australia with Katherine and her older sister Rachel. Life
Lonni
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story of a young girl who was severely burned at an early age. Focus is on her struggle to "be beautiful" as she faces surgery after surgery, bullying at school, and finally acceptance by friends. A bit difficult to follow, as much of the story is in Katherine's, the main character, head. The author uses italics to denote that mind. That might be difficult for the younger reader to follow.
Madi
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that the theme is that you shouldn't change who you are just because you look different, to not judge people just because that they look different, and that you should always except the way that life is.
Chelsea
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. eh
Ricki
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Great message, but the writing was not up to par. The main character was almost 18, but definitely written for a younger audience; plus, there were some inconsistencies.
Miranda
It was hard to get into. It started getting good about halfway through the book. Stay with it. It turns out to be a very meaningful book .
Devlin
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the best book I have ever read! I have read it 4-5 times and it never grows old! Its a must read!
Lesley Trujillo
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
writing was not my cup of tea. it didn't flow with the story and dialogue was very off at times. Characters were plain besides the main character. took me forever to get through
Kim
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I understand what the author was going for but this story was a bit long winded and was only sprinkled with substance.
Becky
Takes place in Australia and a little girl had an accident. She was badly burnt. The story is about the hard things she went through and still does as a teen. Interesting perspective about something I knew nothing about. Skin grafts sometimes don't grow with you, I didn't know.
Marcie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the story and the journey of finding oneself admits trials and adversity. I just couldn't connect with the writing style.
Kenzie Faith
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
6kaylin
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Butterflies by Susanne Gervay. I enjoyed the book a lot i couldnt put it down. I was hooked onto it. It was on of the best books i have ever read. It would probably be for middle schoolers to read. It's about a girl who got burned by a fire and has scars on her face and the left side of her body. Her dad left her after she got burned and she always been wanting to see him and ask him why he left. She is getting surgrey on the scars to get rid of them. She dosent like them she thinks she i ...more
Girls can be who they are if they aren't 'perfect' 2 4 Jun 28, 2012 09:48PM
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • Writing Clementine
  • The Road to Gundagai (Matilda Saga, #3)
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
  • Chain of Hearts
  • Secret Scribbled Notebooks
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • Dragonlinks (The Jelindel Chronicles #1)
  • Walking Naked
  • One Perfect Pirouette
  • Ice Breaker (The Hidden, #1)
  • Borrowed Light
  • Winter
  • Onion Tears
  • The Quicksand Pony
  • The Golden Day
  • Nine letters long
  • Julia's Story (Quantock Quartet, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)