Start by marking “The White Castle” as Want to Read:
The White Castle

The White Castle

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  9,654 Ratings  ·  711 Reviews
From a Turkish writer who has been compared with Borges, Nabokov, and DeLillo comes a dazzling novel that is at once a captivating work of historical fiction and a sinuous treatise on the enigma of identity and the relations between East and West.
In the 17th century, a young Italian scholar sailing from Venice to Naples is taken prisoner and delivered to Constantinople. T
Published July 26th 2000 by Faber and Faber (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The White Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Castle

Ahmad Sharabiani
Beyaz Kale = The white castle: a novel, Orhan Pamuk
عنوانها: دژ سفید؛ قلعه سفید؛ نویسنده: اورهان پاموک؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه آوریل سال 2003 میلادی
عنوان: دژ سفید؛ نویسنده: اورهان پاموک؛ مترجمها: فرهاد سخا، علی کاتبی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر مرغ آمین، 1377، در 168 ص، شابک: 9645519195؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ترک، ترکیه، سده 20 م
کتاب در سال 1377 هجری شمسی با عنوان: «قلعه سفید»؛ و با ترجمه: ارسلان فصیحی، توسط: نشر ققنوس نیز، منتشر شده است
رخدادها، در استانبول سده ی هفدهم میلادی روی میدهند. داستان
Mevsim Yenice
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Benim açımdan tek kelimeyle “kusursuz” bir okuma deneyimi oldu Beyaz Kale. Orhan Pamuk’a olan hayranlığım bir kat daha arttı. O kadar derinlikli tarihsel detayların içinde zaman atlamaları yaparak kurgu yaratma cesareti, kabiliyeti, başarısı, sonunda yaşanan dönüşüm, hatta öyle bir roman ki bana kalırsa sonunun da çok önemli olmaması, sona gelene kadar içsel tüm gerginliği, çözümlemeyi yol boyunca yaptırmış olması, ve ve ve benim için en haz verici olan kısmı “yaşattığı his” inanılmazdı!

Söze böy
Ian "Marvin" Graye
A Short Start

I started reading this novel, because it was Pamuk's shortest and although I liked the subject matter of his other novels, I was worried I might bite off more than I could chew (I am the sort of person who must finish a book once I've started it, even if I hate it). So this was a taster for me.

From A to B Inevitably

I think it is fair to say that what happens at the end is inevitable. His craftsmanship lies in how he achieves it.

There is a moment towards the end of the book when th
Paola
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, nobel, asia
Warning: you have to relax to read this book, just let go and let it take you where it wants.

This is a novel on identity: the plot really does not matter (is this the defining feature of good literature?), the crucial point is how two individuals actually become one, to the point that we no longer know ourselves who is whom.
Is the Italian slave really taking the place of his "hoja" (i.e. master, according to Adam Shatz in the London Review of Books), are they really swapping lives as previousl
Çağdaş T
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yky, library
7 / 10
Kitabın sonunda O.Pamuk'un kaleme aldığı sonsöz, hem samimi hem de doyurucuydu.
Sonsözü okumasaydım bazı şeyler bende havada kalmış olacaktı. Pamuk okurken hep fazladan beklenti içindeyim (belki aldığı ödül nedeniyle ) Beklentimi karşılamadı ancak keyif aldım diyebilirim.

Astraea
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
رفتم نظری که برای این کتاب داده بودم 2سال پیش رو خوندم....
اوه اوه....خیلی تند بود...از انتشارات گرفته تا الودگی هوا و تا حوزه ادبیات کودک و نوجوان و علم و خانواده!!!وای

هیچی دیگه...حتی میشه داستانی از پاموک رو دوست نداشت!
7jane
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 7jane by: my mother
This book starts with a foreword from a (made-up) finder who found the story in an archive - and who gives the book its 'dedication to-'.... I kind of like books that start like this. Anyway, the story seems to be partly fact, partly fiction, a story of 1600s Istanbul where two similar-looking men form a strange friendship.
The author is the one half of this, remaining nameless throughout, an Italian who was captured and sold to slavery by pirates, finally owned by Hoca (a title, no real name fo
Reem Ghabbany
"He did not want to think about how terrible the world would be if men spoke always of themselves, of their own peculiarities if their books and their stories were always about this"

I don't know how to write a review for such a book!
I'm sure it deserves more than 3 stars cause it's a unique and one of a kind story but I haven't enjoyed it that much
The ending was vague as were the characters
sometimes I thought the character Hoja was mentally disturbed and sometimes I thought he was a genius.
as f
إيمان
May 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

لا أدري ولكن اما ان ذائقتي الادبية تاثرت بابتعادي لفترة عن القراءة ...و اما ان هذه الرواية ليست سوى عن مجموعة من "المخبولين"كتبت في لحظة غباء...في البداية ظننت ان هناك شيئا من الشبه بينها و بين "ليون الافريقي"لامين معلوف و لكن ما ان تجاوزت اولى الصفحات حتى ادركت انها ابعد ما يكون عن ذلك ....طريقة السرد مملة زادتها سوءا الترجمة السيئة...تركيبة الشخصيات غريبة حتى لا اقول ضعيفة...توقعت اكثر من هذه الرواية
Ebru Çökmez
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yaklaşık 20 yıl sonra yeniden okuduğum Beyaz Kale'yi bu defa daha çok sevdim. İlk okuduğum zamanlarda (sanırım daha yirmi değildim); okunması gereken her şeyi sırayla okuyup, yanına bir tik atan, aç bir genç okurdum sadece. Şimdi daha sindire sindire, keyifli okumalar yapıyorum. eskiden okuyup rafa kaldırdığım, hakkı az verilmiş romanlar olduğunu yeni yeni idrak ediyorum. Beyaz Kale kesinlikle bu romanlardan biri.

Çocuk yaşta tahta oturtulan hayvanlara meraklı Padişah Avcı Mehmet zamanında geçen
Ksenia
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
"The White Castle is a colorful and intricately patterned triumph of the imagination." - said the annotation. But I don't see The White Castle as a triumph. It's good but nothing more.
Pamuk tells us a story about a slave who inspite all diffuculties and troubles took his place in the turkish society of masters and a master who seemed to be insane and genious at the same time. They are similar like brothers and their mind had become similar, too. Knowledge of the Slave became a part of Hoja. Hoj
Shoshi ♥~
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" أليس الجانب الأمتع من الحياة هو تلفيق حكايات ممتعة ،، والاستماع إلى حكايات ممتعة " - في البدء شكرا لامتاعي ..

باموق في تجربتي الأولى معه

وحتماً لن تكون الأخيرة ...

سحرني ...أدهشني ..أحببت الصيغة التي كتب بها هذه الرواية ...

وقبل أن أبدأ في الثرثرة عن هذه الرواية فتحذيراً لمن لم يقرأ الرواية ربما سأتحمس وأكشف شيئا بدون قصد ..ولكن في كلا الأحوال ..باموق ساحر حتى وإن كنت تعرف مسبقاً تسلسل الرواية !!

أحببت أنه أختار شخصاًآخر ليكتب هذه الرواية .. وكأنه يتحدث معنا ككقراء ويتحاور معنا ..
وازداد الأمر
Lavinia
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, fiction
Pamuk’s talent for storytelling is definitely unquestionable. Well, OK, you can disagree, I don’t care.
I loved the setting; it was basically the main criteria for choosing the book (I’d probably need to mention the reader-friendly length, as well). I loved the plot (the double / the identical twin, the capacity of exchanging not only identities, but also memories, ideas and beliefs), the framing device, the (unreliable) 1st person narrative, the mind games and the twisted relationship / brutal
Al Bità
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mattia Ravasi
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4dQ...
Featured in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2017

It'll make you feel wonderfully sinister. A dreamy, absorbing novel that's very dense but immensely captivating - on par with the weirdest fiction of Calvino, Borges or Hoffmann.
Jelena
Well, this was unexpected. And, to be honest, I had no valid argument to expect what I expected, but still… Somehow I thought this would be a plot-based story or a novella focusing on a particular, specific event. Maybe the beginning just slightly reminded me of “Devil’s Yard” (I. Andrić).

In the 17th century, after a pirate raid, a young Venetian intellectual is brought to Istanbul as a prisoner and begins living in a Hoca’s home shortly after that. The nature of his captivity though is not to
Helmisade
I was surprised at how easy and fast this was to read. Until I got to the end, I mean. Then I felt that I should start over and read it again, because I was sure I missed something. You tricked me, Mr.Pamuk! And I liked it!

The best part about this book was the exploration of identity. What does it mean, when I say who I am? What makes me me and not someone else? Not something I want to think about all the time, but excellent thoughts to spin around in the early hours of the morning.

Slightly besi
فهد الفهد
القلعة البيضاء

يقول الناشر في كلمة وضعها على قفا الكتاب، أن هذه الرواية وضعت باموق في مصاف الكتاب العالميين – وهي الرواية الثالثة له، بعد ( جودت بك وأولاده) و( البيت الصامت) -، ولكني بعد قراءة الرواية، لا أجد فيها ما يستحق كل هذا التقريظ والمديح.

بل إن هذه الرواية – مقارنة بروايته الكبيرة ( اسمي أحمر) – تبدو كخربشات روائي مبتدئ، الرواية أولا ً تعتمد تماما ً على السرد باستخدام أسلوب ضمير المتكلم – ذات الضمير استخدم في ( اسمي أحمر) ولكنها تميزت بتعدد الرواة، وغرائبيتهم أحيانا ً -، أما الفكرة التي
محمد صادقی
شاید ایراد از من باشد که داستان های خیلی زیاد و خوبی خوانده ام و دیگر کتابی مثل (( قلعۀ سفید )) برایم جذابیتی ندارد. شاید هم ایراد از ترجمه، کج فهمی من، و یا هزار عامل دیگر باشد، اما خلاصه اینکه من این کتاب را خواندم و اصلا هم نتوانستم با آن ارتباط برقرار کنم.
در واقع کتاب را بی تعارف، تا انتها (( تحمل )) کردم.
آنچه من دیدم فقط نوشتههایی بود برای نشان دادن روابط و هویتیابی هایی که نمونه های درخشانی در سطح ادبیات جهان دارد . با نگاه بد بینانه، شاید تلاشی بود در جهت آفریدن یک (( مارکز )) ترک.
Tuğçe Kozak
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: türk-edebiyatı
Doğu-batı ikilemi ve kişinin kendisinden başkası olma özlemi Pamuk’un her okuduğum kitabında görülüyor, bu konuyu çok güzel işlediğini düşünüyorum. Orhan Pamuk favorilerim arasına giremez belki Beyaz Kale fakat ne yazsa keyifle aşkla okuyorum.
Yehya Çalî
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
If you want To know the differences between a Western mind and an Ottoman mind read this book
Maybe this is the reason of our backwardness in east
Chul-hyun Ahn
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Are we really so different from one another? Why am I not the magnificent white castle that sits on top of the hill but a rusty, creaking and nonsensical monstrosity wrought in hopes of "proving things to them", stuck in mud and sinking to its death with poor, accidental participants in it? Why can't I be you? If I knew who you were, where you come from and what you thought of while eating lunch with your family on an idle summer day of your youth? Are there really things to be found inside ones ...more
Hend
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
i didn't like it, but may be because i expected a lot from it as a historical novel...
it was boring for me, i leave it several times,but finally i finished it...
Abeerr Shiihab
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
" متى سينتبه اولئك الحمقى إلى تلك الحقائق ؟ هل اجتماع كل هذا العدد من المخبولين مصادفه ام اضطرار ؟ لماذا هم حمقى إلى هذا الحد ؟ "
ترجمه سيئه و مجرد سرد لا داعي له
Asmaa
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
قلعة بيضاء وأبطال لا يتسامحون مع كونهم أنفسهم ولذا يريد كلا منهما حياة الآخر وقصص خيالية وسلطان أحمق أم أنة أذكاهم وشيطان لا يمكن السيطرة علية إن خرج و"هم" و "نحن" وهو أصبح الآخر والآخر أصبح هو..!!
ثلاثة أيام بلياليها اقتطعت منها سويعات في قراءة القلعة البيضاء, اقرأ قبل نومي و أول استيقاظي مباشرة على ضوء مصباحي الصغيرة أحب أن أضيف طقوسي الشخصية على كل رواية اقرأها, القلعة البيضاء رواية تستحق القراءة أكثر من مرة ربما أقراها بعد عدة أسابيع.
قبل نهايتها أو في الثلث الأخير تحديداً شعرت بقليل من الدوا
Marci
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I was pretty bored and disappointed.
Mohamed Shady
لن أقول أنها بداية عظيمة، لكنها ليست مخيبة للآمال أيضًا
فى لقاء آخر ربما أستطيع الجزم :)
Rezvan
دژ سفید قصه ی دوستی میان دو انسان متفاوت یکی از ایتالیا و دیگری از ترکیه و از سوئی دیگر نوع نگاه انسان شرقی به غربی، و غربی به شرقی را نمایان میسازد. در این داستان که در قرن 17 میلادی روی میدهد یک ایتالیایی مسیحی در کشتی ای که به سمت ناپل میرفته است به دست ترکان عثمانی اسیر میشود. سپس توسط یک خواجه مسلمان ترک به عنوان برده خریده شده و این چنین زندگی اش دستخوش تحول بزرگی میشود. در جریان داستان که طرز نگرش غرب به شرق و بالعکس نمایان میشود این دو شخصیت که کمی هم شباهت ظاهری دارند کم کم به هم علاقه ...more
pegah
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
فکر میکنم پاموک تو این کتاب میخواسته حرف مهمی بزنه اما نمیدونسته چه جوری! کتاب دیگه ای که از پاموک خوندم "استانبول" بود که به نظرم یه جورایی پیش نیاز این کتاب باشه. مسئله عثمانیها و روابطشون با ملل دیگه در پشت داستان "استاد" ترک و "برده" ایتالیایی نهفته س. استاد ترک نماینده عثمانیه که هنوز اعتماد به نفس حضور در مقابل تمدن بیزانسی رو نداره و همش فکر میکنه "ایتالیایی" از اون باهوشتر و چیزدانتر هست واسه همین همش میخواد از اون اطلاعات بگیره و بره پیش سلطان و اون دانش رو به پای خودش ثبت کنه. هر از چن ...more
rr
I wanted to love this book, and it seems uncomfortably unintellectual for me to say that I have mixed feelings about it. Much of the time I felt like I was reading through a haze which had the added effect of slowing all action down. The end of the novel I first found vexing in the extreme--I spent the whole rest of the day after I finished it in a snit. But I've made my peace with it, and I understand (I think) why it may have done what it did. In the end, I'm glad I read it, but I didn't entir ...more
  • Huzur
  • Binboğalar Efsanesi
  • Anayurt Oteli
  • Sevgili Arsız Ölüm
  • Cehennem Çiçeği (Alper Kamu, #2)
  • Kitab-ül Hiyel
  • Korkuyu Beklerken
  • Bir Dinozorun Anıları
  • Sizin Memlekette Eşek Yok mu?
  • Parasız Yatılı
  • Esir Şehrin İnsanları (Esir Şehir Üçlemesi, #1)
  • Üç Aynalı Kırk Oda
  • Ölmeye Yatmak
  • Ben Sana Mecburum
  • Kumral Ada Mavi Tuna
Orhan Pamuk was born in Istanbul in 1952 and grew up in a large family similar to those which he describes in his novels Cevdet Bey and His Sons and The Black Book, in the wealthy westernised district of Nisantasi. As he writes in his autobiographical book Istanbul, from his childhood until the age of 22 he devoted himself largely to painting and dreamed of becoming an artist. After graduating fro ...more
“في تلك الأيام ربما كانت هذهِ هي الطريقة الوحيدة التي يفهم بها أحدنا الآخر: كان كل منّا لا يبالي بالآخر.” 19 likes
“You cannot embark on life, that one-off coach ride, once again when it is over,
but if you have a book in your hand, no matter how complex or difficult, when you have finished it, you can, if you wish, go back to the beginning, read it again, and thus understand that which is difficult and, with it, understand life as well.”
8 likes