Start by marking “Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why” as Want to Read:
Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why

Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This book is excellent for individual reading or can be used as the small group study book for the Christianity's Family Tree DVD-based study.

Adam Hamilton presents a welcoming, inspiring vision of eight Christian denominations and faith traditions. Comparing the Christian family to our own extended families, he contends that each denomination has a unique, valuable perspe
Published July 1st 2007 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Christianity's Family Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christianity's Family Tree

Laura Dallas
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Many people in the church today do not know much about their denomination’s history and even less about the history of other Christian denominations. Why is it important to know these things? What is the difference? Hamilton begins to answer these questions in this study while providing the historical knowledge and background needed to understand the branches on Christianity’s family tree. Starting at the very beginning with Orthodoxy and leading up to Methodism, Hamilton shows where eight diffe ...more
Roberta
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
An easy to read book that highlights the foundation, themes and differences between some of the major branches of Christianity. We read this as part of a small group and the video that goes along with it of Adam Hamilton's sermons on the same topic provided additional information. The book and video did not generate a lot of discussion among our group but maybe groups where members have more of a background in the various religions would find more to discuss.
Rachel
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, theology
This is something everyone who's interested in Christianity should read. Hamilton is very fair-minded and focuses on the positive aspects of eight denominations, even the ones that are easy to make fun of. It's very concise and educational. Not exactly gripping, but that's not why you'd read it, so that's OK. He has a similar book on world religions that I look forward to reading someday.
Jonathan Sims
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
At our church we completed this journey via sermon series and evening study. Helpful introduction to other 'movements' or branches of Christianity. Especially poignant is Hamilton's intent to learn from these branches, rather than merely dismiss them as different.
Shawn
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very illuminating explanation and history of the Christian denominations. The theme is that most Christian denominations have progressed from one root and essentially constitute a united tree of diversified, yet complimentary branches. I’ll briefly address the denominations in the chronology by which they developed.

The Orthodox Church

The Orthodox Church is identified as the first Christian church to become distinct from Judaism. The Orthodox Church became distinguished as the eastern
Kathy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. Our group had a great time studying and watching the DVDs. We had very enlightening discussions and learned about our fellow Christian brothers and sisters.
Diane
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a great book and course to use with an adult study at church. Adam Hamilton is engaging and the book is easy to understand but not overly simplistic.
Mark
Oct 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, theology
If you want a quick tour through the major Christian denominations, mixing history and theology and some positivist advice, you couldn't do better than this short book.

It is written by a Methodist pastor near Kansas City, and he does an excellent job of boiling down the complexities of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Anglican, Baptist, Pentecostal and Methodist branches of Christianity in terms of how they got started, what distnguishes them, and equally important, what bin
Empress5150
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I learned quite a bit about 8 denominations of Christianity in (mostly) the order of their evolution (from Orthodoxy through Pentecostalism). I liked Adam Hamilton's approach of comparing the different denominations as different family members at a family reunion with one person (Jesus) being how we are all "related". I also appreciated the way he chose to explain (somewhat at a high level) the theology beliefs of each without criticizing them or making the final chapter (Methodism, of which he ...more
Erika
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
A decent overview of Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostals, and Methodists. He gives a brief history, major beliefs, and things to appreciate/learn from them.

For the most part he is respectful of all traditions/denominations, however I feel not as much in regards to the Baptists as it is the only tradition that he includes jokes regarding. In my opinion, that was out of line and out of place. Additionally, on page 119 he says "United Methodist
Bunnyhugger
I don't come from a Christian background, but I have always been puzzled about the different branches of Christianity and how they differ from each other. This book covers Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostalism, and Methodism. It's a slim volume written by a Methodist pastor who doesn't claim to offer an academic study but who more aims to capture the "unique personality" of each of the groups. I have a better idea now than I did before but fi ...more
Chelly
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Interestin read. Hamilton leaves out several groups of tge tree such as Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and tge Anabaptists. Hischapter on Presbyterians was lacking as he did only one small sect of them the PCA vs the larger PCUSA body that most Americans recognize. Good basis for those wondering what other denominations believeand why. Took this as a Sunday School study and learned a lot. He never criticizes anygroup for its beliefs just states them to show how they are similar yet different.
Evan Kostelka
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I attended a class based on this book and it was a great introduction to some different denominations. It was so good I wanted to read the book, which was good but not near as in depth as the class. This will give a very basic summary of about eight denominations and is great if you are starting with no knowledge. I learned a few things and have read some church history books as well.
Sam
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, kindle
Excellent book! The book examines major mainline Christian denominations. The book isn't written in a condescending "my religion is superior for these reasons" attitude, but rather in a "what can we learn from various mainline Christian denominations" attitude, which was very refreshing.
Laurie Holding
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I was curious as to the various Christian denominations, and this book helps on a solid, down-to-basics level to break down the differences between Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and many of the Protestant denominations.
Sandi
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Informative, positive, and super interesting. Answers many questions I've had about where did this and that church/religion come from and how does it relate to others? And the answer is, they ALL have something important to say, and they say it in different ways.
Sally Kilpatrick
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating take on other religions from the Methodist perspective. If you're Methodist and have ever wondered what aspects of Methodist doctrine differ from other denominations, this book has your answers. It's a quick, interesting read, too!
Fuzzy
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the largest Christian denominations. Helped me put them in perspective, both historically and theologically. Hamilton doesn't denigrate any of them, but highlights the positive aspects of each.

I highly recommend.
Rachel Stoneman
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quick overview - quick read :)
BoBandy
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Adequate. Short on detail, and long on the author's personal anecdotes. In the end, it seemed like an advertisement for Methodism.
Lindsay Lock
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for learning the contributions of various Christian denominations. Loved it.
Debbie Stone
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting.
Lindsay Lock
Great book for comparing and learning about the contributions various denominations provide for Christianity in history and contemporary. Really enjoyed this book!
Donna
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Misidentified book 4 18 May 08, 2015 07:21PM
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
  • Mark as Story: An Introduction to the Narrative of a Gospel
  • The Bible in 90 Days: Cover to Cover in 12 Pages a Day (New International Version)
  • The First Christmas: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's Birth
  • 11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without
  • Oxford Study Bible-REB
  • Creating a Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life (Creative Pastoral Care & Counseling)
  • Christian Doctrine
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Most Good, Least Harm: A Simple Principle for a Better World and Meaningful Life
  • Speaking of Sin
  • Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life
  • The Worship Architect
  • Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
  • Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • Snake Oil: The Art of Healing and Truth-Telling
  • The New Testament in Modern English
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 19
More about Adam Hamilton...