Start by marking “Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)” as Want to Read:
Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)

Persuade Me

(Darcy & Friends #2)

When do you let your heart rule your head?
When it comes to love, Anna Elliot is stuck in the past. No one can compare to Rick Wentworth, the man she gave up ten years ago at the insistence of her disapproving family. What if she’s missed her only chance for real happiness?

Since Anna broke his heart, Rick has moved on – or so he thinks. Out in Australia, he’s worked hard to
Published September 15th 2011 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Persuade Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Persuade Me

Cyndi
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh the drama! Anna Elliot and Wentworth were desperately in love, but oh so young. Her father and godmother convinced her to leave him and pursue her education. He was heartbroken and angry.
Years pass, he becomes a famous marine biologist and she gets a professorship where she teaches Russian lit. They meet again. He is on a book tour and is still angry. She swings between wanting to see him and not wanting to see him. She has never replaced him with someone else while he has tried to replace
Sophia
A second chance at romance comes for a pair. One lives with regrets and the other some bitterness over their parting. Jane Austen's Persuasion lives again in this modern retelling of the old classic second chances story.

Persuade Me is book two in the Darcy and Friends series, but is can be read standalone or out of order.

As with any modern retelling, I was immensely curious how the author would choose to both flesh out the classic and bring her own style into play. The story does follow the clas
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Dr. Rick Wentworth, a successful marine biologist/celebrity author, is preparing for his extensive seven-week book tour in England, with a book provocatively titled, Sex in the Sea. With a flourishing career, a modest amount of wealth and popularity, a supermodel girlfriend, and a very attractive physique, it would seem Rick has everything he has ever wanted. But he doesn't. He doesn't have Anna Elliot, who was persuaded by her family to give him up ten years ago and whose rejection still haunts ...more
Ahnya
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rick Wentworth is a successful marine biologist living in Australia. His book about the mating habits of sea creatures, and comparing it to human behavior called Sex in the Sea has become wildly popular with the ladies in England. Most likely due to the fact is has a very sexy picture of him shirtless on the cover. Because of this success he is coming back to England for a book tour. Unfortunately this will take him into the sphere of the woman who broke his heart Anna Elliot.

Anna Elliot is a p
Mary
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
Loved this book.....it kept me up till the wee hours of the morning,turning each page in an effort to discover how Anna and Rick would finally admit their feelings,realise life is short and simply just be together.

This book is beautifully written.

From the very beginning it captured my imagination, as, somehow the characters felt like real people and the way their problems were portrayed, (be it a hasty marriage to an ill suited partner,to meeting,for the first time in ten years,your first love
Hillary Hunt
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the first modern re-telling of an Austen novel I've read, and if they're all like this, I don't know if these fan-fic books are my thing. =(

I was loving the book in the beginning. I could immediately tell the author was British through the style and language of the writing, and it made me think of Bridget Jone's Diary. I liked how she updated the details of the world the characters live in as far as their occupations and why it was Rick was returning to England having become a somewhat c
Jeffrey
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Author Juliet Archer has undertaken the daunting task of faithfully re-writing Jane Austen’s classic novels with a modern and contemporary twist. Persuade Me is the second offering in her Darcy & Friends series.

Reading Persuade Me was like gazing with admiration at any one of my six grandchildren. There before me are reminders of some of the best-loved features of my own children but lovingly arranged fresh and new. As I began the 341 page odyssey I thought to myself “What can possibly be so
Anji
PERSUADE ME by Juliet Archer - audio version

This is the second of a series written by Juliet Archer, updating the storyline of a Jane Austen novel to the modern day. Unlike the first one, this one wasn't told with the alternating POVs or narrators. If it had been, it would have been wonderful to hear Rick Wentworth voiced by an actor such as Christopher Eccleston or Richard Armitage. Yes, our Captain is now Dr. Rick Wentworth, marine biologist from the north of England, now living in Australia (
Samantha Brody
This worked in the way I wanted it to work, which is to say, an angsty contemporary romance with Jane Austen-y elements. But nuanced Persuasion retelling this was not, and for that reason, I kind of wish it had been more inspired by and less straightforward retelling.
Misty
Hmm. Okay, how do I say this without sounding kinda crazy? I accepted this for review, but I was really unsure of whether I was going to like it. That makes me sound like a jackass, so let me explain: it's contemporary and it has a gorgeous cover - those are 2 things that put my guard up, because contemporary (no matter how much excellent contemporary I read) translates to "fluff" in my stubborn mind, and I've been burned by the Pretty Cover Curse one to many times. But I liked Juliet's excerpt ...more
Kim
I was recently afforded the opportunity of working with Juliet Archer. We were fortunate enough to collaborate on The Austen Games together and have developed a nice little friendship driven by our love for Jane Austen! Juliet is the author of the Darcy and Friends series, which currently consists of two novels and is soon to be followed by more works. The first in the series, The Importance of Being Emma, was well received and was soon followed by Persuade Me. Both books have received several r ...more
Maria Grazia
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Persuasion. When you like a story so much you never have enough of it. I haven’t read much based on Persuasion actually, this is the first modern re-telling of my favourite Austen. It was a real page turner despite my already knowing what was next. It was intriguing to see how Juliet Archer made those familiar events take place in such a different context, for example. She often surprised me and her smooth, involving narration kept me interested all the time.
This is the second book in the serie
Deanna
A fun, fun book. It truly was.
I read Persuasion this past winter, and it instantly became a Austen favorite of mine. I do love retellings, when done well, so I was very much intrigued by Persuade Me. There was a chance for disappointment, but disappointed I was not. While I knew how the story would end, I was greatly pleased with the various contemporary factors added that captured my attention and provoked intrigue. While knowing the trajectory of the story, I did not know how Juliet Archer wou
Tammy Smith
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
I have to tell you, I couldn't get enough of this book. The thing is that with any retelling, you know how the story is going to end, but for me, it is how you get there. I thought the characters were wonderful. While the story held true to Jane's vision, Juliet Archer took a lot of liberties with the back drops and characters that made this feel shiny and new.

Anne is a professor of Russian Literature and does not live at home. Mary has a drinking problem. Elizabeth, well, she will always be va
Dolors
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
When I bought Persuade me, I thought the story would be similar to Jane Austen's "Persuasion", but I didn't think it would be THAT similar.
Actually, the book is a complete copy of the real thing by Austen, only that instead of horses, you have sport cars and mobile phones. The same characters, the same problems, the same settings...
And for me, it didn't work because I couldn't help comparing it to Jane Austen's novel, which is of course, far much better.
So, entertaining, light read, but doesn't
Moon Love
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Jane Austen? Persuade Me is Juliet Archer's modern version of Persuasion, and it's lovely! It was great to see how Ms. Archer translated the characters into today's world. This modern retelling is fairly close to the original, and will definitely win over new readers who may not be aware of the phenom that is Jane Austen.

I just wonder which novel Juliet Archer will choose next to bring into modern times and how she'll do it!
Kathryn
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans, romance readers
Shelves: choc-lit
If I tell you that Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors and has been since I was a teenager; that Persuasion is not only my favourite of all her books but one of my all-time favourite books; and that Captain Wentworth is my favourite literary hero, then you'll probably understand why I might have been slow to flick open Juliet Archer's Persuade Me, a modern retelling of Persuasion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modern revamps of classic books and films. When they're done well, they can gi
Alice
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Quand je vois un livre autour de Persuasion, j'avoue, je réfléchis peu! Du coup, je ne savais même pas à quoi m'attendre véritablement avec ce livre avant de lire les premières pages et de me rendre compte que nous étions dans une réécriture moderne. Et là, je me suis dit "Aïe, j'ai tellement aimé Persuading Annie que ça va être dur d'être au niveau"!

Pourtant, dès la première page, nous sommes face à une entrée en matière des plus intéressantes, un prologue écrit par Mr. Darcy himself! Ensuite,
Stephanie Cage
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved 'Persuade Me'. Having enjoyed 'The Importance of Being Emma', I was slightly afraid that the novelty of modern Austen adaptations might have worn off, but if anything, I enjoyed this second book even more, though the reasons for that were largely personal.
Being a great fan of all things Antipodean, I loved the fact that Rick Wentworth had spent time as a marine biologist in Australia. Back in the UK, he reconnects with old flame Anna, now a lecturer in Russian Literature at..
Bry
Oops! How did I forget to review this?! Well - better late than never.

This is a hard book to rate. For the first half I liked this book much better than the first book in the series, but then I completely plateued with it. It took me a while to force myself to finish it though and in the end I didn't like it much. Went from a 4 star to about a 2.5 star. So I am giving it 3 stars over all.

I enjoyed the characters and it did try to stay true to the overall original story, but the ending veered of
Tara Chevrestt
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-release, kindle
We've all heard the saying, "when you assume, you make an ass of you and me." In this book, there's a LOT of assuming and thus, a lot of people making asses of themselves... and that's part of what makes this book so funny and entertaining.

Quick summary: Rick and Anna loved each other long ago, but her snotty family convinced her to give him up. She lives in England. He lives in Australia. Ten years after their tragic romance, he is right in her backyard doing a book tour. Do they have a second
Lorraine.Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-06-12
Finished last night, it took me a while to get into the style of the story.

It was very similar to the original style of Austin's writing of Persuasion (which I found to be a bit of a slog to read, eventually resorting to the audio book).

I left Persuade Me sitting on my kindle for a day thinking of starting another book with a more fast paced story but found that I wanted to finish it and I was very happy that I did.

Characters were all believable and certainly complimented Austin's originals,
Imelda Evans
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book not knowing it was an Austen adaptation. In case that sounds weird, it's because I didn't choose this book, it came to me - possibly at a conference. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have started it, as I am not normally a fan of adaptations, especially of books I like and Austen's Persuastion is a favourite. But Ms Archer won me over. She did a good job of updating the characters without over-changing the story and some of her characterisations I particularly enjoyed. I'm ...more
Susan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
After reading a few modern retellings of Pride and Prejudice and not really liking them I was skeptical about reading this book. Which is why it has been sitting in my e-reader for some months. But I was very pleasantly surprised with this modern version of Jane Austen's Persuasion and loved it.
Emily M
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh, this was a sore disappointment. Persuasion is such an exquisite story, painful and beautiful and heart-wrenching. Modern retellings almost always lack the tension of Anne's helplessness. William Elliot is a real, viable option in the original because he is kindof her only hope of escaping her dreadful family. But in the 21st century, as an educated woman with a good job and her own home, Anne isn't sacrificing as much to stay true to Frederick. Yes, she has been heartbroken, but it hasn't r ...more
KYReader
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-adult
Genius!!! This book was refreshing & thoughtful. The dialogue and observations were brilliant. I laughed to myself so often at very subtle lines in this book. Smart, romantic, and I loved all the different characters. Ms. Archer I am a fan! Keep writing because I and I know many others appreciate you!
Mary Seaman
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just can't get enough of these persuasion re-tellings!
Mlewis
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s so hard to find a rewrite of a classic that conveys the feel of the original as well as the plot. This one does an excellent job!
AmyFlo
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Persuade Me" (Darcy and Friends #2) by Juliet Archer 1 1 Aug 24, 2014 10:51AM
  • Morning Light
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Drive and Determination
  • Anne Elliot, A New Beginning
  • Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • So Rough a Course (Elizabeth Elliot's Story - Mercy's Embrace #1)
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • To Have His Cake (and Eat It Too): Mr. Darcy's Tale (Pride and Prejudice Untold #1)
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
  • For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #2)
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #1)
  • The Persuasion of Miss Jane Austen
  • Memory: Volume 1, Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
Juliet Archer describes herself as “a 19th-century mind in a 21st-century body – actually, some days it’s the other way round.” The youngest of four girls, she was born and bred in North-East England, where she met her future husband. Unlike Anne Elliot in Persuasion, she resisted well-meant advice and married young, before graduating from the University of Nottingham with a First in French and Ru ...more

Darcy & Friends (2 books)
  • The Importance of Being Emma (Darcy & Friends #1)
“I once wrote you a letter and you never replied, which makes me wonder if you ever received it. This time it's a more personal delivery - and I need a reply, even if it's not the one I want.

I'm listening to you - I can hear every word, however softly you speak - and I'm half-agony, half-hope. You're saying that men are realists - that, when the woman they love is no longer available, they move on. Well, believe me, I tried - and I thought I had. But seeing you again, after so many years, just proved how little I knew...

You told me to trust myself. So here I am back in Bath, putting everything on the line for a second chance with you. Is that what you want, too? Whatever your answer, remember this: I may not deserve you - when I think of how I've behaved, I know I've shown little self-control and even less forgiveness - but I've never stopped loving you.

You're talking about heartless men... But I have a heart, and it's the same one you almost broke ten years ago, and it belongs to you, and only you, even more than it did then. And yes, I'm a realist: if you no longer love me, I will accept it. But don't say that only a woman can keep on loving someone who's no longer part of her life! Because I will keep on loving you until there are no stars in the sky.

Tell me tonight how you feel. If there's any chance of you loving me back, then I'll wait for you as I should have waited before. If not, say the word and I'll leave you in peace. But I'll never forget you, or what we had, or what might have been.

Rick”