Start by marking “From Ramen To Riches: Building Wealth In Your 20s, Or Spending, Saving, Investing And Managing Your Money To Get Rich Slowly, But Surely” as Want to Read:

"You mean to tell me you've been employed as a software engineer for five years and your net worth is $500?" These are not the words you want to hear from your mortgage banker when you're looking to borrow a large sum of money. Despite a well-paying job, the author had managed to spend everything he had earned in the five years after college. The meeting with the mortgage ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by The Tannywood Group, Inc. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about From Ramen To Riches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Ramen To Riches

Christine
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like reliving my childhood of watching my mom clip coupons, shop the sale rack at Marshalls/TJ Maxx, and basically bargain hunt to no end on anything and everything you need to buy. Not what you want to buy, but what you need in order to survive and save money for retirement or reasonable fun things that make you happy.

This is a great reference for those who want to become even more financially savvy than they already are. However, if you have very little financial literacy,
Olivia
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was worried this would be yet another "get rich quick" book, but it only took a few pages to understand that it's more of a "get rich slowly" book. Careful planning, attention and thrift -- all values that tend to be lost on a younger generation -- are the focus, and the author has the gift of clarity, thank goodness! While my heart sank to see how much I'd "lost" by not saving earlier, I was encouraged to find practical advice on how to live frugally and invest well now so that our kids (or t ...more
Elizabeth Fryer
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was a much needed wake-up call for me, it reminded me how important it is to save for the future, and also prepare for the future. The book is catered more towards twenty-somethings just entering the workforce out of college. I think I'm in need of a book written for stay-at-home-moms. The advice is essential for the current economic climate. I really liked the suggestions on how to cut spending in your budget with just a few changes that could save/earn money in the long run.
Eddie
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Longer and better than I expected. I got this free on Kindle, and found it to be a good primer for a financial newbie. The writing is perhaps a little casual but the information is sound. Not a bad place for someone to start. I did feel that a couple of places were a little incomplete, but the author really has covered the basics pretty well.
Chastity
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I skipped around chapters in this book just because some the information I already knew or I just wasn't interested in learning about bonds or investing in the stock market. But, its a good book if you need help getting on the right track in order to save - I do want to end the month with more money than I started.
Baoxu Shi
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall this is a good entry-level book for novices who know nothing about investment in US. It gives a brief review on bonds, funds, and stocks. There is no particular investment advice but some must know basics, like compound interest, different type of tax, houses, diversification, and many other things.
Jenny
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a great introduction into the world of long-term financial planning for someone young and with no experience. I think it will be a great book to refer back to when I have more of an income, especially enough money to invest.
Karen
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book for anyone. It covers alot of bases in finance and has very helpful suggestions!
Jessica Ratajczak
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very informative and definitely something to keep around for reference.
Jay
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: investment
Very basic investment ideas. Good as a starter for people who have never thought about investment before. I didnt learn too much from the book.
Nancy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
this isn't a "change the way you think about money" book but one with lots of practical and usefuk advice. I like the chapters on investing because that's what I've been trying to learn about.
Deb
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great read for young adults and their mentors.
angelle321
Apr 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2013
I think I'm too old and too poor for this book.
Manuel Araoz
Jan 04, 2012
Elle
Jun 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • How to Save Money at Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to Cut Spending
  • Saving for Retirement Without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • Barcode Booty: How I Found and Sold $2 Million of 'Junk' on Ebay and Amazon, and You Can, Too, Using Your Phone
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Couples Money: What Every Couple Should Know about Money and Relationships
  • How to Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs A Necessary Job Search and Career Planning Guide for Today's Job Market (Find A Job Series)
  • The brilliant book of calm: Down to Earth Ideas for Finding Inner Peace in a Chaotic World (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • The Resume is Dead
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • The Rich Bitch Guide to Love and Money
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • The Frugal Life: The Simple Path to Living a Good Life on a Budget
  • Be your own best life coach (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • Make Money, Live Wealthy: 75 Successful Entrepreneurs Share the 10 Simple Steps to True Wealth: Money, Investing, Lifestyle, Entrepreneurship, Self-Help, Millionaire
  • The Rules of Money: How to Make It and How to Hold on to It
  • Unclutter Your Life! How to Tame Your Mess, Calm Your Mind, Lighten your Load
  • It's Not About the Tights: An Owners Manual on Bravery
The oldest of nine children, award-winning author James Wood is a natural coach and mentor. His mission is to share his passion for personal finance by increasing financial literacy, especially for those aged 18 to 30 who can most benefit from this knowledge. Wood has appeared on a variety of local and national TV and radio shows to help viewers better understand how to manage their money.

Wood ret