Start by marking “Alice the Brave” as Want to Read:
Alice the Brave

Alice the Brave (Alice #7)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,382 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Every girl should grow up with Alice, and with this irresistible new look, a whole new generation will want to.

Alice should be used to being in over her head by now, but really, she’s terrified of deep water. She’s managed to keep this a secret from even her best friends, Pamela and Elizabeth. But it will be beyond embarrassing if everyone finds out she’s afraid to come o
Published August 30th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Alice the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice the Brave

Burn for Burn by Jenny HanCinder by Marissa MeyerFire with Fire by Jenny HanAshes to Ashes by Jenny HanThe Selection by Kiera Cass
should be made into a tv show
86th out of 234 books — 32 voters
Lexie by Audrey CouloumbisPermanent Rose by Hilary McKaySylva and the Fairy Ball by Margaret McNamaraSaffy's Angel by Hilary McKayForever Rose by Hilary McKay
Julia Denos
24th out of 48 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice realizes she needs to deal with her fear of deep water when all of her friends live at the pool during the summer.

Book takes place: Summer between 7th and 8th grades, first day of 8th grade.
Alice's life lessons: You sometimes make your own luck.
Best Alice moment(s): Tales from the Arabian Nights; Pamela's armpits; Mark Stedmeister's pool; camping with Miss Summers
Another fun Alice book, but not one of the more memorable ones in the series. Alice is secretly afraid of deep water, and is forced to confront this fear when she and her friends all spend the last month of summer at Mark Stedmeister's pool.

For Alice and her friends, its a summer of guilty secrets. Alice is deeply embarrassed of her fear of water, Pamela is secretly planning on breaking up with Mark to date his best friend Brian, and -- most memorably of all -- Elizabeth steals her parent's copy
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Ha! Im bored so it's a super quick read for me. Mais oui! Anotha teen wonder: Alice. This couldve been as kinky as Georgia Nicholson's cofessions, except the fact that Alice had a 100% mature and sensitive consciousness with regard life and the universe per se. I was expecting oozing teen angst but I was startled by the fact how less exasperating this read was. Alice was just a curious upcoming eight-grader who lost her mother when she was in kinder and now she wanted her Dad to marry her Englis ...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Oh Alice, the insecurities of being a new teen seem to not phase her in the same way it does her friends. The main reason is because of her innocent nature. I've read reviews that claimed she was unrealistic, but I can promise you that I teach high school juniors that display the same level of innocence (I know, surprising, right?)

In the latest Alice adventure readers experience her ultimate fear - she is afraid of the deep end of the pool. Who knew that Alice could not swim? I think I missed th
It's the summer before 8th grade and it's time for Alice to face her fears: of the water. She hides her fear from friends and family alike, but after an embarrassing outburst when a group of her guy friends try to toss her into the pool she figures it's past time to get over her fear.

Luckily, Alice has a great big brother in Lester. In maybe the greatest brother and sister scene in recent memory Lester helps Alice conquer her fear of the water through tireless exercises. She emerges from this s
Alice is petrified of water, but she doesn't want anyone to know. How will she make it through the whole summer, hanging out at Mark's pool without jumping off the diving board. And what about the time all the boys ganged up on Pamela and through her in? Alice definitely can't live through that!

Another fun read.
Mufida Dalmadi
i wish oneday i will be as brave as alice in this book, i love alice. but in indonesia so hard to find these series
It was a pretty good book that had real life situations in a funny way
Kira Brighton
Talks about issues young teen girls really want to know about.
The book Alice the Brave Audiobook by Phyllis Reynolds Naylorwas very a very good book because I liked how the author made Alice over come her fears by the end of the book.It is good that she made Alice overcome her fears because by the middle of the book, it bothers you that Alice is still afraid of the thought of water going over her head in a pool.
This was the first Alice McKinley book I read. I checked it out from the school library when I was in fourth grade, on the recommendation of our librarian Ms. Waite. I absolutely loved Alice, her friends and Naylor's world. I proceeded to become a major Alice fan and read every book in the series faithfully until I was about 22. The series was still going, Naylor was completely out of touch with modern teenage life and the books had become preachy. I've read all the Alice books up through Intens ...more
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
The "Alice" series was probably what I checked out of the library most often when I was in elementary and junior high school. Out of all the books in the series, this is one that stands out most in my mind, besides the silly cartoonish covers that were printed on the Library bound 1980's editions of these books. Naylor was to finish the series when Alice turned 18, but unfortunately, I turned 18 before she did and I do not read them anymore...
This book was a funny and a girly book. I liked how Alice was brave to overcome her fear of deep water. When she was in trouble because the boys threatened her throw her in the water. Lester her brother saves the day when he found out Alice needs help and that is what family is for. Also other characters like Pemela they were in to sex they wanted to learn more about it and after all they were going to start 8th grade soon
When I read this book, I did not realize that it was part of a series. I do not know how much this may have affected my reading. However, it did not really strike my fancy. I found the protagonist unrealistically drawn for her age and was not engaged by the story. However, some teens looking for a light coming of age story might like it.
Yet another example of why this series should have been put to pasture several books ago. Lacking the charm of the Alice that appeared in the original this Alice comes across as scripted and flat. The story is uninspired, trying to hard to reel in the young adult crowd with its sexual references.
i this bok it is summer for alice and her friends pamala and elizabeth. the whole group has agreeed to meet at mat's house at his pool almost every day. only one problem alice is terrified of water. she can't swim. how well alice go through this read the book to find out.
Another great adventure with Alice! In this installment Alice learns to overcome her fear of swimming and has to come to terms with growing up. I love reading these books because I think there is really something in each one that everyone can relate to.
Alice is in the summer before 8th grade in this book, and not a whole lot happens. Highlights include Alice overcoming her fear of deep water (hence Alice the Brave) and Elizabeth reading racy portions of "Arabian Nights" and then feeling guilty about it.
It's frustrating how Alice continues to just not get it when it comes to her dad's relationship with Miss Summers, but I loved the account of how she ended up facing her fear of water.
This literally took me only 45 minutes to read. Alice deals with a phobia in this book which takes place in the summer. She is terrified of swimming in deep water? Will she overcome her fear ??
Each individual Alice title is pretty light-weight, but taken all together, I am really enjoying them. This one too - Alice is a little less giggly, and facing her fears and growing up, bit by bit.
Celine Parker
Each Alice book tackles an issue facing teens and pre-teens alike. This one happens to address the overcoming of one's fears. This process is personal for everybody, but always possible.
Reminds me of the summer before eighth grade, going to a friends house to use their pool and the way Alice feels about her girl friends and the guy friends too.
book 7. in which alice confronts her fear of deep water and sees miss summers dining with another man. also, mark dumps potato salad in pamela's bathing suit bottom.
Alice must learn to swim in the deep end of the pool. But she doesn't want to tell her friends she can't. Luckily, Lester has a not-so-brilliant plan!
Brandee Terry
I love this series - it just seems to take me back to my childhood. This one had some interesting subplots in it that really kept the pages flipping.
I thought that it was good but had a couple parts that should only be read by ten years and up but otherwise it was a good book for preteens
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Katie's New Recipe (Cupcake Diaries, #13)
  • Agnes Parker... Keeping Cool in Middle School
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Hold on Tight (Hannah Montana, #5)
  • America
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • The Classroom
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • Missing Abby
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)