Start by marking “Alice the Brave” as Want to Read:
Alice the Brave

Alice the Brave (Alice #7)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,536 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Every girl should grow up with Alice, and with this irresistible new look, a whole new generation will want to.

Alice should be used to being in over her head by now, but really, she’s terrified of deep water. She’s managed to keep this a secret from even her best friends, Pamela and Elizabeth. But it will be beyond embarrassing if everyone finds out she’s afraid to come o
Published August 30th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Alice the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice the Brave

Elissa
Jul 28, 2014 Elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice realizes she needs to deal with her fear of deep water when all of her friends live at the pool during the summer.

Book takes place: Summer between 7th and 8th grades, first day of 8th grade.
Alice's life lessons: You sometimes make your own luck.
Best Alice moment(s): Tales from the Arabian Nights; Pamela's armpits; Mark Stedmeister's pool; camping with Miss Summers
Linc V.
Jan 04, 2017 Linc V. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given by my mother's friend, and was the very first book that I read. I think I was in fifth grade at that time and had no interest in books. At first, I planned on reading it, but I was so intimidated since it was my first time. It was only a hundred and thirty pages, but for a younger me at that time, it was so scary. And English is not my first language, so that made the experience even scarier.

The first time I read it, I read it with my eyes, but could not understand some of it
brooklynnnne
As always, this installment in the Alice series is a great companion for girls coming of age. It addresses situations that arise during the tween years as well as the often humorous dramatics that can be an accompaniment. In this particular installment, I enjoyed that Alice faced her fears with deep water as well as addressed the message that if she caved into her fear once, it makes it easier the next time to withhold herself due to fear.

Each of these novels have great messages, sometimes blata
Katie
Dec 31, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all the Alice books, this is a quick read about the trials, tribulations, and embarrassments of being a teenager.
Judith Bautista
Feb 04, 2016 Judith Bautista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you afraid of deep water? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. In my opinion I think this was a good book because it was fun reading it and it talked about Alice's summer.

The setting of the book was at Alice's friend backyard at the pool. The setting is important because that is where the conflict happened and the solution. The conflict was that Alice could not swim and she was afraid of the deep water. Every summer Alice and her friends go to Mark's Stedmeisters backyard and hang
Jonathan
Sep 23, 2016 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it is very interesting and i liked it very much i want to continue reading it to the end.i cant wait to see what happens next.

\
Kristen Averett
AUDIO BOOK, COMING OF AGE, PECHA KUCHA AUTHOR
Alice will soon be in the 8th grade and growing up without a mother when there are so many unanswered questions is hard. She and her friends have watched the 8th grade girls make out with their boyfriends in the halls and wonder what the new school year will bring for them. Each girl is dealing with various issues: how to break up with a boyfriend so she can meet someone new, how to be more open about the changes that are happening to her body, and ho
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Oh Alice, the insecurities of being a new teen seem to not phase her in the same way it does her friends. The main reason is because of her innocent nature. I've read reviews that claimed she was unrealistic, but I can promise you that I teach high school juniors that display the same level of innocence (I know, surprising, right?)

In the latest Alice adventure readers experience her ultimate fear - she is afraid of the deep end of the pool. Who knew that Alice could not swim? I think I missed th
Samantha
It's the summer before 8th grade and it's time for Alice to face her fears: of the water. She hides her fear from friends and family alike, but after an embarrassing outburst when a group of her guy friends try to toss her into the pool she figures it's past time to get over her fear.

Luckily, Alice has a great big brother in Lester. In maybe the greatest brother and sister scene in recent memory Lester helps Alice conquer her fear of the water through tireless exercises. She emerges from this s
Maria
Dec 23, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
Another fun Alice book, but not one of the more memorable ones in the series. Alice is secretly afraid of deep water, and is forced to confront this fear when she and her friends all spend the last month of summer at Mark Stedmeister's pool.

For Alice and her friends, its a summer of guilty secrets. Alice is deeply embarrassed of her fear of water, Pamela is secretly planning on breaking up with Mark to date his best friend Brian, and -- most memorably of all -- Elizabeth steals her parent's copy
Zoe D
Oct 18, 2015 Zoe D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of a series and it is very compatible with so many people's lives, because Alice is such a realistic character that has problems like a lot of real joiner high girls do. This book relates to my life so much and once I start reading it I can't take my eyes off. Their are part that have you on the edge of your feet, their are parts that have you predicting what will happen next, and their are are parts that jump up behind you that you never thought were coming.

This specific boo
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Ha! Im bored so it's a super quick read for me. Mais oui! Anotha teen wonder: Alice. This couldve been as kinky as Georgia Nicholson's cofessions, except the fact that Alice had a 100% mature and sensitive consciousness with regard life and the universe per se. I was expecting oozing teen angst but I was startled by the fact how less exasperating this read was. Alice was just a curious upcoming eight-grader who lost her mother when she was in kinder and now she wanted her Dad to marry her Englis ...more
Jan 25, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the summer before 8th grade, and Alice and her friends are spending most of their summer by the pool. But Alice is harboring a secret. One that she's never told her dad, her brother, or any of her friends. She can't swim. She can go up to her waist in water, and doggy paddle in the shallow end, but she's terrified of the deep end.

Another great book from Naylor that addresses fear of all kinds. Alice is scared of swimming and the fact that she may never have a stepmom. Her frank discussions
Adrienne
Sep 12, 2012 Adrienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Alice the Brave Audiobook by Phyllis Reynolds Naylorwas very a very good book because I liked how the author made Alice over come her fears by the end of the book.It is good that she made Alice overcome her fears because by the middle of the book, it bothers you that Alice is still afraid of the thought of water going over her head in a pool.
♡ Kristina
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Saymon
Feb 19, 2010 Saymon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a funny and a girly book. I liked how Alice was brave to overcome her fear of deep water. When she was in trouble because the boys threatened her throw her in the water. Lester her brother saves the day when he found out Alice needs help and that is what family is for. Also other characters like Pemela they were in to sex they wanted to learn more about it and after all they were going to start 8th grade soon
Lynne
Jul 06, 2007 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Alice" series was probably what I checked out of the library most often when I was in elementary and junior high school. Out of all the books in the series, this is one that stands out most in my mind, besides the silly cartoonish covers that were printed on the Library bound 1980's editions of these books. Naylor was to finish the series when Alice turned 18, but unfortunately, I turned 18 before she did and I do not read them anymore...
Natalie
Alice is petrified of water, but she doesn't want anyone to know. How will she make it through the whole summer, hanging out at Mark's pool without jumping off the diving board. And what about the time all the boys ganged up on Pamela and through her in? Alice definitely can't live through that!

Another fun read.
Katie
Jul 29, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yalit
When I read this book, I did not realize that it was part of a series. I do not know how much this may have affected my reading. However, it did not really strike my fancy. I found the protagonist unrealistically drawn for her age and was not engaged by the story. However, some teens looking for a light coming of age story might like it.
Lindsey
Sep 21, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, j-fiction, ladies
Alice is in the summer before 8th grade in this book, and not a whole lot happens. Highlights include Alice overcoming her fear of deep water (hence Alice the Brave) and Elizabeth reading racy portions of "Arabian Nights" and then feeling guilty about it.
Emma
Apr 08, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure with Alice! In this installment Alice learns to overcome her fear of swimming and has to come to terms with growing up. I love reading these books because I think there is really something in each one that everyone can relate to.
Ale
Jun 18, 2008 Ale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i this bok it is summer for alice and her friends pamala and elizabeth. the whole group has agreeed to meet at mat's house at his pool almost every day. only one problem alice is terrified of water. she can't swim. how well alice go through this read the book to find out.
Yet another example of why this series should have been put to pasture several books ago. Lacking the charm of the Alice that appeared in the original this Alice comes across as scripted and flat. The story is uninspired, trying to hard to reel in the young adult crowd with its sexual references.
Brandee Terry
I love this series - it just seems to take me back to my childhood. This one had some interesting subplots in it that really kept the pages flipping.
Annie
Sep 16, 2010 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was good but had a couple parts that should only be read by ten years and up but otherwise it was a good book for preteens
Caroline
Aug 24, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, series
Alice must learn to swim in the deep end of the pool. But she doesn't want to tell her friends she can't. Luckily, Lester has a not-so-brilliant plan!
Megan
Jul 19, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorites so far! It wasn't boring or rushed. It had a good ending, over all I think this book was great!
Mufida Dalmadi
Feb 20, 2015 Mufida Dalmadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wish oneday i will be as brave as alice in this book, i love alice. but in indonesia so hard to find these series
Kirsten
Oct 21, 2009 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each individual Alice title is pretty light-weight, but taken all together, I am really enjoying them. This one too - Alice is a little less giggly, and facing her fears and growing up, bit by bit.
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Agnes Parker . . . Girl in Progress
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Family Secrets
  • Crazy Lady!
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • America
  • Popular (Popular, #1)
  • Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-deliverance & Assisted Suicide for the Dying
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)